Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Well taken goal and a great cross for the disallowed Rashford goal. Appart from that a pretty horrible performance, terrible decisionmaking and execution multiple times in crucial situations and didn't track back (Mitoma) for their first goal.
He also tracked back numerous times making tackles close to our box and played in Bruno for the disallowed goal. Saying “terrible decision making” because he fecked up a single 3v2 is just disingenuous

One bad game
He also tracked back numerous times making tackles close to our box and played in Bruno for the disallowed goal. Saying “terrible decision making” because he fecked up a single 3v2 is just disingenuous

It's weird how little patience some fans have with Amad

You're being equally disingenuous by suggesting the only mistake he made was the 3v2 in the first half. He got caught on the ball more often than he normally would, sometimes in some dangerous areas for us, his passing radar was off, he was through in acres of space at 1-1 (before the disallowed goal) and took a horrible touch that allowed a defender to get back and tackle him. He also missed a reasonably good chance really early on.

Just looked at some stats to double check if I'm being fair, and he had 1 successful dribble out of 3, and his passing accuracy was at 78%. On the defensive side as you mentioned he had 3 attempted tackles and 2 of them were successful, so that's decent.

He deserves credit for not giving up, and the sign of a top player is being well below par and still influencing the match which he did by scoring, but it's fair to say that he's capable of much better than this performance, and had he done a bit more right he could have won us the match.

You're being equally disingenuous by suggesting the only mistake he made was the 3v2 in the first half. He got caught on the ball more often than he normally would, sometimes in some dangerous areas for us, his passing radar was off, he was through in acres of space at 1-1 (before the disallowed goal) and took a horrible touch that allowed a defender to get back and tackle him. He also missed a reasonably good chance really early on.

Just looked at some stats to double check if I'm being fair, and he had 1 successful dribble out of 3, and his passing accuracy was at 78%. On the defensive side as you mentioned he had 3 attempted tackles and 2 of them were successful, so that's decent.

He deserves credit for not giving up, and the sign of a top player is being well below par and still influencing the match which he did by scoring, but it's fair to say that he's capable of much better than this performance, and had he done a bit more right he could have won us the match.

My point is more so that it was quite clearly his “least sharp” game he’s had in his short time in the squad overall yet still scored a quality goal and should have had an assist as well, yet many are saying he needs to “do way better if he wants to keep his place” as if we have some vast riches of attacking talent on the bench. I had to watch Antony for years provide a literal 0 in terms of threat on that wing while many were willing to give him months or an entire season to “acclimate”, yet Amad is hearing shouts of being benched 2 starts in.

I’m just asking for an even judgement standard (much less a more generous one to a young kid just getting his feet wet in the PL). Personally to me it seems pretty clear he’s our most talented attacker we have (depending on how you rate Garnachos talent vs. his pure graft) so I’ll gladly take the occasional sloppy outing that still brings a goal if it means he keeps getting more and more experience and development. If I thought he was a Pellistri level talent then sure I’d be less patient as there isn’t the same raw ability with a player of that level.

My point is more so that it was quite clearly his “least sharp” game he’s had in his short time in the squad overall yet still scored a quality goal and should have had an assist as well, yet many are saying he needs to “do way better if he wants to keep his place” as if we have some vast riches of attacking talent on the bench. I had to watch Antony for years provide a literal 0 in terms of threat on that wing while many were willing to give him months or an entire season to “acclimate”, yet Amad is hearing shouts of being benched 2 starts in.

I’m just asking for an even judgement standard (much less a more generous one to a young kid just getting his feet wet in the PL). Personally to me it seems pretty clear he’s our most talented attacker we have (depending on how you rate Garnachos talent vs. his pure graft) so I’ll gladly take the occasional sloppy outing that still brings a goal if it means he keeps getting more and more experience and development. If I thought he was a Pellistri level talent then sure I’d be less patient as there isn’t the same raw ability with a player of that level.
You make a good point. He had a slack game but has the ability to to provide moments. Something Antony has rarely done. I wouldn't mind, I was at Antony's debut and saw his lovely strike against Arsenal. Thought we had a very special signing! I do have a little hope with Mazaouri we can get more from Antony. Not hoping on it, though.

I think Garnacho is our most special player. Amad needs to play more first team games to be judged on that in my opinion. I'm really hopeful he will have a good season and I think we need to be patient with him.

I think you're right, to take the sloppiness occasionally as he has the quality to do something awesome.

Given the context I think it is impressive that he still managed to score. We have seen much worse matches from every other player on this team yet Amad gets written off by a lot of people on here based on one game.

He was terrible, but he did in fact do better (than the players he's competing with :lol:).

He looked so bad though, no idea how he got himself together to improve later after that shocker we witnessed. EtH did many strange things but showed good faith in him by hooking Rashford

He was terrible, but he did in fact do better (than the players he's competing with :lol:).

He looked so bad though, no idea how he got himself together to improve later after that shocker we witnessed. EtH did many strange things but showed good faith in him by hooking Rashford

- His general play was terrible.
- Should have scored from the Dalot cross.
- Scored a goal.
- Should have had an assist for a dangerous cross only for Rashford to drift offside.

I was under the impression that he was supposed to get hooked but stayed on because he scored the goal.

- His general play was terrible.
- Should have scored from the Dalot cross.
- Scored a goal.
- Should have had an assist for a dangerous cross only for Rashford to drift offside.

I was under the impression that he was supposed to get hooked but stayed on because he scored the goal.
Perhaps so (he may have been the one in line for the hook), if you look at your list, weird trajectory in a game for a young player isn't it?

That's a positive as usually when things start to go downhill in a game for these technical types (especially when young), it just gets worse. I remember with players Nani and Berbatov, you could tell if they'd have a scorcher or a stinker after the first 10 to 15 mins.

Perhaps so (he may have been the one in line for the hook), if you look at your list, weird trajectory in a game for a young player isn't it?

That's a positive as usually when things start to go downhill in a game for these technical types (especially when young), it just gets worse. I remember with players Nani and Berbatov, you could tell if they'd have a scorcher or a stinker after the first 10 to 15 mins.
It definitely is a positive. Means in what was a terrible game from him, he still kept producing. He still needs to get used to the physicality and the pace of the league. He has hardly played much top flight football. His technical proficiency, passing, desire and work-rate all look very good. Hope ETH keeps playing him and he keeps getting better. I think we have a player on our hands here.

I haven't read through the thread enough to see if others are overreacting negatively (although it's the caf so it's almost certain they are :lol:), but assuming they are your post was still overcorrecting for it. He did have a poor game, it happens to every player, in this case it's even more understandable given his bereavement the day before. It's way too soon to be talking about benching him yet, but he does need to improve on that performance, which is well below his capabilities.

Given the context I think it is impressive that he still managed to score. We have seen much worse matches from every other player on this team yet Amad gets written off by a lot of people on here based on one game.

Yeah him scoring despite having a poor game is a great sign, no doubt. People writing him off already are being silly, but pretending he didn't have a bad game is equally silly. The truth is he's a young player who's going to be inconsistent, and probably frustrating at times.

Amad is quite effective at knicking the ball off the opposition. He can also retain and recycle possession better than Marcus allowing our defensive players to get a rest.
Been reading up on his stats as a reference for Rashford’s (lack of) effort. They’re really excellent. So heavily involved in everything you would want him to be. A few poor moments but you’d forgive him that with everything he had to deal with over the weekend. Should be nailed on to start against Liverpool.
I remember during his loan at Sunderland, he was really high up on tackles and interceptions. Deceptively strong too. Not quite a Sterling insane centre of gravity type, but he can win a fair few duels.

I haven't read through the thread enough to see if others are overreacting negatively (although it's the caf so it's almost certain they are :lol:), but assuming they are your post was still overcorrecting for it. He did have a poor game, it happens to every player, in this case it's even more understandable given his bereavement the day before. It's way too soon to be talking about benching him yet, but he does need to improve on that performance, which is well below his capabilities.

Yeah him scoring despite having a poor game is a great sign, no doubt. People writing him off already are being silly, but pretending he didn't have a bad game is equally silly. The truth is he's a young player who's going to be inconsistent, and probably frustrating at times.

The stats go against him having a poor game. I think he’s being unfairly maligned for a few very obvious poor moments, which stuck in the memory. Statistically he was very heavily involved, worked extremely hard defensively and generally used the ball well. Plus he scored. If this represents a “poor game” for all the other attacking players in our squad then last season would have gone a hell of a lot better than it did.

I fully expect Rashford and Garnacho on the wings Sunday which I don’t agree with

The stats go against him having a poor game. I think he’s being unfairly maligned for a few very obvious poor moments, which stuck in the memory. Statistically he was very heavily involved, worked extremely hard defensively and generally used the ball well. Plus he scored. If this represents a “poor game” for all the other attacking players in our squad then last season would have gone a hell of a lot better than it did.

Which stats are you referring to? From what I've seen he completed 1 out of 3 attempted dribbles, missed his one big chance early on, his passing success rate was 78%, and his crossing success rate was 50%. Also lets not pretend those obvious poor moments weren't game changing - he made a real mess of the 3 v 2 in the first half, and another in the second half at 1-1. He took the goal well, but could have scored another early on and should have created a couple of big chances. Going forward, he's capable of so much better, so calling it a poor game is fair.

I agree with you about him working very hard, especially defensively, he won 2 of his 3 tackles and had 4 recoveries which is good. He'll be judged more heavily on his attacking game though, and that was misfiring.

Which stats are you referring to? From what I've seen he completed 1 out of 3 attempted dribbles, missed his one big chance early on, his passing success rate was 78%, and his crossing success rate was 50%. Also lets not pretend those obvious poor moments weren't game changing - he made a real mess of the 3 v 2 in the first half, and another in the second half at 1-1. He took the goal well, but could have scored another early on and should have created a couple of big chances. Going forward, he's capable of so much better, so calling it a poor game is fair.

I agree with you about him working very hard, especially defensively, he won 2 of his 3 tackles and had 4 recoveries which is good. He'll be judged more heavily on his attacking game though, and that was misfiring.

The stats I’m talking to were the fact that his touches, passes, carries etc were higher than any other wide player. With defensive output as good as anyone. Plus he scored a goal and played a vital part in two disallowed goals. As I said, if that’s a “poor game” we can only dream of our other attackers produce similar stats when they have a bad day at the office. And, for what it’s worth, I do think we can expect a lot more from him. But writing that off as nothing more than a poor game is being harsh.

The match thread and immediately after the game was shocking. You’d have thought he was Dan James.

The stats I’m talking to were the fact that his touches, passes, carries etc were higher than any other wide player. With defensive output as good as anyone. Plus he scored a goal and played a vital part in two disallowed goals. As I said, if that’s a “poor game” we can only dream of our other attackers produce similar stats when they have a bad day at the office. And, for what it’s worth, I do think we can expect a lot more from him. But writing that off as nothing more than a poor game is being harsh.

So because he was more involved than Rashford, our other wide player, it wasn't a poor game? That logic doesn't really work, as it's possible for both to play poorly. Touches, passes, and carries are nice, but need to be contextualised. For example, the 3 v 2 he messed up would have padded his touches, carries, and passes, and yet he got it all wrong. Compared to Garnacho, who was also pretty ineffective, their output was pretty similar, both with 1 successful dribble out of 3 attempts, Garnacho with a 79% passing rate to Amad's 78% (although Garnacho was more successful in the opposition half and final third).

His was his defensive work was good, we're in full agreement there, but his attacking output was poor, he failed more dribbles than he succeeded, he missed a big chance and should have created a couple of big chances on top for us with better decision making.

The match thread and immediately after the game was shocking. You’d have thought he was Dan James.

Yeah but that's RedCafé, it's often a race to the bottom in terms of who can be the most hysterical, match threads especially.

I sympathise wholeheartedly with frustration at reactionary posts, but fighting disingenuity with disingenuity generally drags threads down.

With a bit of luck Amad cuts out the mistakes against Liverpool and puts this topic to bed over the international break.

As an aside, I think Dan James would have been a great weapon against Brighton and their high line.

Blaming him for the Dalot cross is too much. The ball was too high, he should have done better with his attempt, but it’s not a nailed on goal.

Not sure there's much of a debate to be had reading the last few posts. In summary:

Amad's general performance was really poor and can definitely be improved upon as we've seen him perform much better and all know he can.

Despite this remarkably poor performance, he was more productive than the other wide players we have. His general numbers were better and he still scored a goal and could have had an assist had the resulting goal not been ruled offside.

Blaming him for the Dalot cross is too much. The ball was too high, he should have done better with his attempt, but it’s not a nailed on goal.

The cross was an awkward height by the time he got there, too high for a volley and too low for a header. Diving header may have been his best option to get a good solid connection.

We are manchester united, of course his previous performance was bad. If he played for Crystal Palace maybe scoring a goal would be enough, but we should have higher standards for our player. I'm sure he agrees himself and hopefully he can put in a big performance vs liverpool

Amad will stay after his goal. I feel Rashys position is under threat though

This should be the right thing.

Rashford can come in as a sub and show us what he has got. Last 2 matches he has started on reputation. I desperately hope Rashforrd can get back to the 30 goal a season form ,but his body language doesn't fill me with confidence. Maybe sub appearances are way forward to build him up again?

The cross was an awkward height by the time he got there, too high for a volley and too low for a header. Diving header may have been his best option to get a good solid connection.
Yeah, it’s why I find people blaming him for that chance biased. It wasn’t as clear cut as they’re making it out to be.

Yeah, it’s why I find people blaming him for that chance biased. It wasn’t as clear cut as they’re making it out to be.
I'm a big Amad fan but its a golden chance. Wrong decision to use his foot in the first place but even so he should do better.

He can see it coming for a while so he has time to assess. Diving header like you say is the best option.

Biggest thing will be staying fit. Don’t think he’s had a full season yet without a lengthy layoff at some stage

I'm a big Amad fan but its a golden chance. Wrong decision to use his foot in the first place but even so he should do better.

He can see it coming for a while so he has time to assess. Diving header like you say is the best option.
Positive thing is he was there. Amad and Garnacho are more than willing to attack the back post, something Rashford and Antony don't really do consistently.

I like amad, but player of the month? That's crazy

Not exactly stiff competition

Yeah, we’ve had some good performances but those same players have each arguably also made some major errors. I’d probably have actually given it to Casemiro as I think he’s been very solid so far and much improved from last season. Can’t really argue with Amad though given his excellent pre-season and that he’s scored one of our two league goals.

Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool New
Should have started. Our only attacker who wasn't running directly into their defenders everytime he has the ball.