Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it actually caused many who wanted him gone to change their mind? That isn't what I've seen when I've been reading this thread.
For the first time in a while, no, it hasn't changed much in redcafe. Back has increased from 14.3% to 14.5%.

Interestingly, he's learning English now apparently.
From a quick check, the type of reports suggesting that appear as credible as the ones linking him to the role (which was shut down by Ornstein).

Even if he was learning English, it's not something you can really pick up in a few months to use effectively in a day to day leadership role.

This is great :lol:
It’s really not. He gets paid £9 million a year to go out and get a result against the likes of Fenerbahçe. Calling out Custis as some sort of bullshit bravado, who’s he trying to kid?

Up until Saturday only Lecce were behind us for goals scored in the top 5 leagues. So why is he giving it the big ‘un as if only he can give us the results we’ve had this season?

Can’t imagine we’d be much worse off if we did employ The Sun’s Manchester United football writer as a manager.

It’s really not. He gets paid £9 million a year to go out and get a result against the likes of Fenerbahçe. Calling out Custis as some sort of bullshit bravado, who’s he trying to kid?

Up until Saturday only Lecce were behind us for goals scored in the top 5 leagues. So why is he giving it the big ‘un as if only he can give us the results we’ve had this season?

Can’t imagine we’d be much worse off if we did employ The Sun’s Manchester United football writer as a manager.
Lighten up man.

This is great :lol:

Absolute bellend, I know he thinks he is being funny but it just highlights how disconnected from reality he is.... the journalists job is to provide an honest critique of ETH and the teams performance, yet ETH is taking umbrage.... somebody needs to explain to Eric why he is getting the criticism, I honestly don't think he gets it.

If I was Custis I would have probably said, ok then I can hardly do worse, and maybe it would be more relaxing if you hadn't made such a mess of the games against Twente and Porto!

The more I see of ETH the less I like him

Its really scary that beating Brentford at home can make so many believe again.
I don't think it's a case of believing. The majority of people know he will not return Man Utd to a title challenging side. We also know his job is safe for now. We know the hierarchy have approached other managers so they clearly don't see him returning the club to the top either. I think a lack of options has bought him time. I can recognise this. From my perspective, he is essentially interim manager. I want Man Utd to have as good a season as possible, regardless of the manager. I will celebrate wins and hope he can deliver another cup this season.

I don’t think ETH is a bad manager, he’s proven he’s competent.

But the question remains is he the man to take us back to the top 4 and to challenge for the league?
On the evidence he’s not delivered so far and doesn’t look likely to deliver,

Transfer policy has been shocking and a lot of the players where his choice,

Anthony remains a shocking decision.
How has he proven he is competent?

Absolute bellend, I know he thinks he is being funny but it just highlights how disconnected from reality he is.... the journalists job is to provide an honest critique of ETH and the teams performance, yet ETH is taking umbrage.... somebody needs to explain to Eric why he is getting the criticism, I honestly don't think he gets it.

If I was Custis I would have probably said, ok then I can hardly do worse, and maybe it would be more relaxing if you hadn't made such a mess of the games against Twente and Porto!

Honestly, you’re just coming across as very bitter if you can only use a United manager making a prick out of Neil fecking Custis as an opportunity to solidify your hate for him. Go touch some grass.

I couldn't disagree more, it showed a real personality and he was a bit looser rather than so defesnive and uptight, some of the rubbish Custis writes is beyond "An honest critique", that's ridiculous and naive.

I'm someone who doesn't want to afford him more time but you can't honestly believe Erik can't see what we do, there are obviously reasons he says the things he does such as the knock on effect to squad morale. Ragnick was ridiculously honest and most at the time loved him but the squad absolutely turned on him as they weren't mentally strong enough, I think he's trying to create a siege mentality with a lot of his comments, whether he will or not remains to be seen.

Just as an aside it's darkly funny how one result can take us from it being the worst start to a PL ever to our worst start in five years*.

The fact is we've done so fecking terribly since Fergie left in almost every season that a single win can be the difference between it being the worst ever to just one of the worst.

*when we actually finished third which is crazy, thank lockdown football and the Bruno signing for that I guess.

This seems like such an impossible standard for a manager. He's being lighthearted at an awards event where lots of others are being celebrated. Personally I think he'd being fairly diplomatic and dignified but even if you dont agree, considering that there are many other ways he could behave, and many other ways other managers might behave in this case, I cant help but feel that no matter what he did, you'd criticise him.

There is just nothing whatsoever here to be so reactive to, its a stock appearance from a PL manager that they do frequently. It's hardly worth watching, much less worth provoking such annoyance to call him an 'absolute bellend.

Id suggest looking up some articles custis has written about ten hag, before you get so defensive about making a light joke in his direction.

Separately, there is no doubt he gets more scrutiny and more combative scrutiny than other managers. That isn't a defence of him or his record, but the way he was treated after winning the cup, and they day before it was terrible. Personally, I tend to pause before siding with british journalists in any way, as they have a long record of demonstrating themselves to be really bottom level scumbags be it in news, entertainment or sport.

This seems like such an impossible standard for a manager. He's being lighthearted at an awards event where lots of others are being celebrated. Personally I think he'd being fairly diplomatic and dignified but even if you dont agree, considering that there are many other ways he could behave, and many other ways other managers might behave in this case, I cant help but feel that no matter what he did, you'd criticise him.

There is just nothing whatsoever here to be so reactive to, its a stock appearance from a PL manager that they do frequently. It's hardly worth watching, much less worth provoking such annoyance to call him an 'absolute bellend.

Id suggest looking up some articles custis has written about ten hag, before you get so defensive about making a light joke in his direction.

Separately, there is no doubt he gets more scrutiny and more combative scrutiny than other managers. That isn't a defence of him or his record, but the way he was treated after winning the cup, and they day before it was terrible. Personally, I tend to pause before siding with british journalists in any way, as they have a long record of demonstrating themselves to be really bottom level scumbags be it in news, entertainment or sport.
Spot on!

85% of people want him gone still. I’m ETH out but I’m happy if he proves me wrong. Nothing wrong with a bit of positivity after the weekend win. If you were to break it down we’ve 4/6 against Villa away and Brentford which we probably all would have taken at the start of the season.
But like so often over the past 2 seasons it’s usually 1 step forward 2 steps back and West Ham will be under pressure next Sunday to get a result after been hammered by Spurs.

If I had the ability to like, I'd like this.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Record aside, I think he's being crucified in the press regardless of what he says or does.

Chose 'back', but would have chosen 'undecided'
if only I could.

We've played some neat stuff this season, in which, I think, we have been our biggest enemy, but the negatives are too pressing. Can't think of a decent replacement, either.

The one thing I'd commend is EtH showing faith in the starting eleven going into the second half on Saturday. We scored early and then took control. Fair play.

If it is was me the entire squad would have been transfer-listed and so forth.

How many times can we virtually buy a new squad before people will accept that maybe, just maybe the manager isn't the man to get the best out of the players we have?

They say you are only as good as your last result. I imagine that saying arose from the fact that so many people judge things on the very recent past and can flip flop between opinions very quickly.

Maybe get some air, there’s nothing wrong with people having a laugh.

:rolleyes:

From a quick check, the type of reports suggesting that appear as credible as the ones linking him to the role (which was shut down by Ornstein).

Even if he was learning English, it's not something you can really pick up in a few months to use effectively in a day to day leadership role.
As we have learned from ETH

How many times can we virtually buy a new squad before people will accept that maybe, just maybe the manager isn't the man to get the best out of the players we have?
Sacking the manager is a bad thing! Let's go ahead and sack the entire playing squad though...

Well ten hag is apparently just as he was in dutch press conferences. Funnily enough the caf was lapping it up at the time. Just goes to show optics mean a huge amount.
I guess people hoped by year 3 his communication would be better.

I mean he's apparently always spoken in this manner so I would doubt it.

Perhaps the wording choices, like citing tactical reasons instead of football reasons for benching Casemiro. That would be a nicer way of saying it and not pissing off a player.

I mean he's apparently always spoken in this manner so I would doubt it.

Perhaps the wording choices, like citing tactical reasons instead of football reasons for benching Casemiro. That would be a nicer way of saying it and not pissing off a player.
Do you believe this though?

Think for a moment about it, even with the direct translation it still is not automatically offensive, it's not like he said 'footballing ability' - it is extremely likely something a journal has made this up because a) Case speaks no English, everything he will get relayed from ETH will be via a translator and he will have come across differences between English, Spanish, Portuguese regularly. He also has multiple multi lingual friends, many in the team itself, who would give their opinion on what it meant and b) it conveniently follows on from the Benni interview. ETH is Dutch, he is direct and treats journeys better than he should do but when you contrast him in life outside of pressers he is much more open/engaging and, dare I say it, nice when you see him talking with Rio or working with the players at Carrington. It's like LVG, the media image of him was very different to how he was with the players for the most part.

Is it more likely Case was pissed because he was dropped for the final or because ETH says he was dropped for 'footballing' reasons?

Sacking the manager is a bad thing! Let's go ahead and sack the entire playing squad though...

Indeed how many times over the last decade do we have the same fans blaming the players on everything. ''These players'' are always at fault, they all have bad attitudes, continually let the manager down and they've got 4 managers sacked. The manager needs to build his own squad before he can do anything decent and seemingly in this case when the club have let the current manager hand pick virtually an entirely new squad he needs a second one as this one's just not working out. So yeah let's feck off the best part of a billions worth of talent on the off chance it isn't the managers fault. :confused:

Well ten hag is apparently just as he was in dutch press conferences. Funnily enough the caf was lapping it up at the time. Just goes to show optics mean a huge amount.

Are you saying his Dutch is as bad as his English?

Do we know if he's even been taking lessons this whole time?

I know there were reports back in 2021 that Spurs passed on him as they felt his English wasn't upto scratch.

I completely agree. It is so awkward to see him trying to be funny or whatever his intentions were. Too bad the journo didn't respond in kind.

So depressing to remember how much hope was put into *********** Ten Hag when he arrived. I do wonder how we got from that point to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.