Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
It was shocking finishing (as usual) and an absolutely appalling penalty decision that cost us the 3 points yesterday. The second half was lacklustre, as per, too. It wasn’t entirely on EtH that we lost yesterday, of course, but the problem is he has no good will in the bank due to 18 months of poor performances and results.

Why? What would that achieve?

Shouldn't we only stick with one for longer than 2-3 years when they don't fail at their job?
It’s like we must somehow be the ones to pioneer this experiment of giving a random manager 6-7 years to see whether it changes anything. Nobody else has ever done this but we must because Ferguson has proven that the only thing that separates great managers from mediocre coaches is time.

Warning New
This thread is locked in a cycle of toxicity.

Criticism of the manager and players is fine and has always been allowed on the forums but let's try and keep the personal insults out of it as that feeds into the negativity and causes personal insult matches between posters. Any personal insults in posts will be clamped down on with either deletions or warnings.

Additionally, a trend has begun where people are targeting and antagonising other posters by tagging them and leaving snarky comments. This is not okay either and leads to people being bullied or feeling like they are being bullied. These posts will also be clamped down with deletions or warnings. There is a time and a place for a bit of fun but I think in terms of this thread it's crossed the line of fun into the nasty.

Thanks.

Was incompetent not sacking him during the international break. Would be malpractise not sacking him now.

After 2 full years and half a billion spent on your ex players, you cannot be still 14th and blame injuries, the Var etc.

Toys out the pram time.

It’s the manager not the players.

Onana is a fine keeper.

De Ligt has been bought by the biggest clubs in the land and is only 24 you don’t go Bayern starting 11 to 14th at 24.

Martinez has been touted as one of the best in the PL and a World Cup winner.

Mazraoui see comment about De Ligt.

Dalot, Jose said he’s "the best full-back in Europe in his age group"

Casimeiro 5 times champs league winner.

Mount champions league winner, England starter and Chelsea player of the year.

Mainoo forced his way into an England team at 18 which nearly won the competition and was one the best players.

Ugarte hasn’t even had a chance played a blinder the other night.

Rashford one of the top players in Europe two years back.

Gernacho one of the most highly rated youngsters in world football.

Bruno one of the top scoring midfielders in
The league a few seasons back and top assist and on a consistent basis.

Sancho (now gone) one of the top scoring and assisting wingers in world football before he joined.

Amad good solid youngster.

Hojilund bags of talent.

Zirkzee looks awful but I hear good things.

No matter how you look at this squad it is not a 1 win in 8 team. It’s a 5 in 8. It’s the managers fault and he needs to go.

I’m still lost when trying to see the logic behind not sacking him. They don’t need to pay him off in full and I’m sure his contract has some form of clause in it. That aside, giving him more games is now just beyond hope - Chelsea will beat us easily next week and out next league game is Leicester I think which means a draw with them will see us in the relegation zone or just above. We are beyond in the shit with him whilst he has zero excuses aside from Luke Shaw been unfit.

I don’t like the toxic feelings I have that the game yesterday had ready made excuses for the manager. Because it wasn’t his fault entirely we failed to win yesterday. But I don’t see what he’s doing to make us any better.

It’s a miserable time because I like it be positive because this is meant to be fun, but it’s terribly deflating time and time again.

He was let down by poor finishing and bad referee decisions yesterday, but the former is still a running theme. Arguable that more time from Ruud will help our attacking players become more clinical but there's no guarantee. Some players are just natural finishers and some aren't. Scoring half as many goals as we should is unacceptable.

I think we need to make the change as it feels like getting anywhere close to the promise land with EtH at the helm is more hope than expectation. I still like the guy and wish him well, but truly believe his future is at a club that probably isn't regarded as one of the 10 biggest in Europe. Maybe Netherlands manager in the 2030's if he stays in the mix at good teams playing in Europe.

The record bar winning two trophies is awful. Any other big clubs he'd be gone and I'm at the stage now where any change is probably going to be better.

I do think he'll get the next few games leading into the international break but the board need to make a move now. However, if we were to lose to Chelsea I think any hopes of finishing in the top 4 are basically gone.

I do think a lot of these players will look reborn under a new manager, rightly or wrongly, it’s just how it works quite often if we’re being honest.
Agree, but for how long? The challenge for the next manager (and any manager), is to bring consistency to the performances of this bunch of players. ETH clearly can't do it, but I'm also not convinced the group has a winning mentality collectively.

However, if we were to lose to Chelsea I think any hopes of finishing in the top 4 are basically gone.

Those hopes went a long time ago. He’s dragging us into a relegation battle - something I’ve never seen happen in my lifetime.

4 losses/9 games in, the penny is starting to drop and the percentage of folks who want him to stay has slowly crept downwards to 14.1%.

I genuinely wonder if those folks who still back him are still on this site, or if they truly believe in their vote, or if they've seen the light and are just too stubborn to admit it.

Agree, but for how long? The challenge for the next manager (and any manager), is to bring consistency to the performances of this bunch of players. ETH clearly can't do it, but I'm also not convinced the group has a winning mentality collectively.

Yeah without doubt there isn't a winning mentality

Imagine going to one of the worst defensive teams and losing.

I dont care we missed chances, its enough now. He has to go.

They branded their takeover as having 100% control of the football side so it won't be the latter. They have just made terrible decisions so far.
If that was true... I'm starting to believe a lot of that was just spin to soften the blow of the Glazers not being fully out and give INEOS space to breath without protests.

Fact is, other than stadium plans and a change in personnel, there isnt a terrible amount of difference that can be seen in decision making.

The group's still better than 14th, and they are mostly his team.

It's on the manager to instill that. Can't shake McCarthy's comments from a couple of weeks ago re: Ten Hag. And then there's the obvious tactical issues. Man's out of his depth in the Premier League.

If that was true... I'm starting to believe a lot of that was just spin to soften the blow of the Glazers not being fully out and give INEOS space to breath without protests.

Fact is, other than stadium plans and a change in personnel, there isnt a terrible amount of difference that can be seen in decision making.

I think the Glazers would have sacked him by now.

(This is not pining for the Glazers)

Those hopes went a long time ago. He’s dragging us into a relegation battle - something I’ve never seen happen in my lifetime.
Pretty much, but I do think this squad is capable of at least taking it to March/April in a top 4 battle if we were to make a change soon. The loss yesterday was damming and leaves a bad taste, but beat Chelsea and we're 3 Points behind them. I think Villa will wobble at some point and with a different manager there's every chance we are at least competitive with Spurs, Brighton etc.

I think we're closer to a top 4 team than it seems, a top manager should be able to get this team in that mix.

The mentality of the players definitely comes into focus here, however their mentality and that of the manager are not mutually exclusive, I don't think.

When the club finally lets EtH go, I know they make up our English quota, but I get the feeling that if Rashford and Shaw get swapped out for players with a better overall mentality, the energy around the place will change.

Marcus Rashford, the player which seemingly has the most suspect mentality of all (it's been a topic for how many years running now?), is our only senior attacker. That's not great.

I do think Bruno is useful to have around, but he shouldn't be the captain and have the untouchable status that he does. Having a hyper-emotional captain isn't helping the mentality of this bunch.

Surely someone out of berrarda, ashworth, brailsford, ratcliffle is brave enough to pull the trigger now??
I feel like the fact that you have to list all these people shows the problem... who really can pull the trigger?

Aye, its all too quiet for my liking :(

Surely someone out of berrarda, ashworth, brailsford, ratcliffle is brave enough to pull the trigger now??

There is just no way they do it after a game were we actually were quite unlucky to lose.

I know it's just a continuation of him showing he's not the right man ect. I just think you have to look at all the times he could (should) have been sacked. That match won't be the one to finally get it done.

There is just no way they do it after a game were we actually were quite unlucky to lose.

I know it's just a continuation of him showing he's not the right man ect. I just think you have to look at all the times he could (should) have been sacked. That match won't be the one to finally get it done.
We might have been the best time in the 1st half, but West Ham was superior in the second half - so we were not quite unlucky in my opinion.