Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute bellend, I know he thinks he is being funny but it just highlights how disconnected from reality he is.... the journalists job is to provide an honest critique of ETH and the teams performance, yet ETH is taking umbrage.... somebody needs to explain to Eric why he is getting the criticism, I honestly don't think he gets it.

If I was Custis I would have probably said, ok then I can hardly do worse, and maybe it would be more relaxing if you hadn't made such a mess of the games against Twente and Porto!

The more I see of ETH the less I like him
You need to talk to therapist or something, he was having a bit of craic.

Absolute bellend, I know he thinks he is being funny but it just highlights how disconnected from reality he is.... the journalists job is to provide an honest critique of ETH and the teams performance, yet ETH is taking umbrage.... somebody needs to explain to Eric why he is getting the criticism, I honestly don't think he gets it.

If I was Custis I would have probably said, ok then I can hardly do worse, and maybe it would be more relaxing if you hadn't made such a mess of the games against Twente and Porto!

This post sums up why some of you lot shouldn’t be taken seriously. Christ it’s a harmless bit of banter. The fact you let the clubs performance impact your dislike of a person is so extreme, particularly when if nothing else, ten hag has always come over as a nice guy.

We've finally reached the point of the relationship where the way ETH breathes even pisses off some of the fanbase.

Seek help.

I’m strongly in the ETH out camp but even I can see he’s genuinely trying to have a bit of fun and there’s no harm in it.

From a quick check, the type of reports suggesting that appear as credible as the ones linking him to the role (which was shut down by Ornstein).

Even if he was learning English, it's not something you can really pick up in a few months to use effectively in a day to day leadership role.

We'll see what happens. Maybe he goes elsewhere and we've got somebody else in our sights, but hopefully there's some truth to it as he's probably one of the top options right now. There's also rumours this is his last season at Inter. Hopefully it's a case of no smoke without fire.

And I thought I disliked ETH! You’re another level :lol:

I want a new manager but goodness, people here are supporting Custis?! Take a step back for a minute.

I want a new manager but goodness, people here are supporting Custis?! Take a step back for a minute.

I don't think anyone supports Custis, that's not the point at all. The point is that our *********** Ten Hag was trying "to have some fun" and failed at that, too. It is hard to believe that people don't see how awkward that was.

I completely agree. It is so awkward to see him trying to be funny or whatever his intentions were. Too bad the journo didn't respond in kind.

So depressing to remember how much hope was put into *********** Ten Hag when he arrived. I do wonder how we got from that point to this one.
That's an interesting question. He's clearly not actually inept and can set up a team tactically. I mean, Ajax had a functioning press and everything, that doesn't just happen. How come that's not working at all at United?

(Also, on a moderation note, please stop with the '***********' epithet, that sort of thing is irritating.)

That's an interesting question. He's clearly not actually inept and can set up a team tactically. I mean, Ajax had a functioning press and everything, that doesn't just happen. How come that's not working at all at United?

(Also, on a moderation note, please stop with the '***********' epithet, that sort of thing is irritating.)
Quality of the leagues are so far apart, you can get away with a certain level of tactics in the Netherlands which you cannot in the pl.

Quality of the leagues are so far apart, you can get away with a certain level of tactics in the Netherlands which you cannot in the pl.

I agree. Ten Hag did appear to be tactically astute during Ajax's CL run in 2019 against bigger clubs. He didn't repeat the feat though and was seemingly found out in subsequent poor European campaigns, even in the EL. At this point its fair to say he's severely lacking tactically at this level, Europe included whether CL or EL

Different levels. He's not the first, and he won't be the last, manager to stand out in a lesser league only to be shown up in the PL.

Different levels. He's not the first, and he won't be the last, manager to stand out in a lesser league only to be shown up in the PL.
That doesn't really explain it. The top level of the CL isn't worse than the mid or bottom level in the EPL, and he managed that quite well. You could say it's a different kind of football, but he's also not reproducing results against European opposition or the top EPL teams, which don't play that differently from top CL teams.

Also, even if the issue is that his approach doesn't work in the EPL, you'd at least expect to see a consistent system that then fails to consistently win games in the EPL. But United's football is often messy and disjointed. Like, I don't think 'he's not good enough for the EPL' explains why he sometimes can't even seem to get the basics of coaching right.

Insulting another member

You need to stop and have a look in the mirror.
The only bellend here is you as you've read this completely wrong.

This feels like a season where Arsenal and City might not be at their best. A huge opportunity for someone else with a little consistency to take advantage.

Sadly we are nowhere near. Running on a hamster wheel called “The Process”
3 years in we should be where Liverpool are in the table. Competing with Arsenal and City. But alas.

I couldn't disagree more, it showed a real personality and he was a bit looser rather than so defesnive and uptight, some of the rubbish Custis writes is beyond "An honest critique", that's ridiculous and naive.

I'm someone who doesn't want to afford him more time but you can't honestly believe Erik can't see what we do, there are obviously reasons he says the things he does such as the knock on effect to squad morale. Ragnick was ridiculously honest and most at the time loved him but the squad absolutely turned on him as they weren't mentally strong enough, I think he's trying to create a siege mentality with a lot of his comments, whether he will or not remains to be seen.
Fabulous take on it.
There are such fine margins when trying to get players up and motivated, whether that be individually or as a group (god knows why some on stupid money need this extra motivation, but that's another story). Knowing when to push, when to pull, when to divert attention, when to blame yourself, all hangs on a fine knifes edge. The best managers are the ones that can do it.

Not much that Ragnick said was off the mark. It's just that the prima donnas that were donning the shirt for him couldn't handle it, and neither could those sitting in the ivory towers above him.

Something happened on the weekend when Pinnock scored that goal when DeLigt was off - there was a mindset shift, a bit of mongrel came out. If the players can tap into that and EtH can build on it, who knows what can happen moving forward.

Reactions: Cheimoon
That doesn't really explain it. The top level of the CL isn't worse than the mid or bottom level in the EPL, and he managed that quite well. You could say it's a different kind of football, but he's also not reproducing results against European opposition or the top EPL teams, which don't play that differently from top CL teams.

Also, even if the issue is that his approach doesn't work in the EPL, you'd at least expect to see a consistent system that then fails to consistently win games in the EPL. But United's football is often messy and disjointed. Like, I don't think 'he's not good enough for the EPL' explains why he sometimes can't even seem to get the basics of coaching right.
He did well in the CL one season - don't get me wrong, it was a great campaign, but many other managers who I wouldn't consider top level have also taken smaller teams to a CL semi (e.g., Puel with Lyon, Di Francesco with Roma). I don't think a one-off cup campaign with a relatively low number of matches is necessarily indicative of managerial quality.

That doesn't really explain it. The top level of the CL isn't worse than the mid or bottom level in the EPL, and he managed that quite well.

Main difference I see is the environment and pressure on his players. At Ajax they were the best team in the league, in a much easier league, and winning every week breeds confidence.
Confidence and the momentum it creates are huge in football, and it’s much harder to achieve in the PL, especially at this club.

Even though we do have a few Dutch players and Dutch speaking players, it could be a communication barrier. Plus perhaps we are overrating the influence he had on the tactics of that Ajax side. And whatever he's been trying to implement at United certainly isn't the Ajax system so maybe his tactics just won't work in a high level league like the PL. I can't think of another team that has tried to simultaneously press high and also defend deep. We seen in his first season and towards the end of last season that he can competently set-up the team using different tactics.

Or a combination of any or all of those things.

The top level of the CL isn't worse than the mid or bottom level in the EPL, and he managed that quite well
How many games was it that his Ajax did really well in the CL?
About 10-12 games?
They did well and it is always fun to watch an underdog go deep in a tournament like that but i don`t think the sample size is enough to confuse us here.
If you look at what Erik has achieved apart from that glorious cup run it is nothing to write poems about imo.
Frank de Boer won a handful of league titles with Ajax as a reference.
I hope that he manages to turn things around here but there is a decent chance he just isn`t as good a manager as most would believe after scoring 4 at Bernabeu.

Try the decaffe and take a walk for some fresh air to review your shit post.

How many games was it that his Ajax did really well in the CL?
About 10-12 games?
They did well and it is always fun to watch an underdog go deep in a tournament like that but i don`t think the sample size is enough to confuse us here.
If you look at what Erik has achieved apart from that glorious cup run it is nothing to write poems about imo.
Frank de Boer won a handful of league titles with Ajax as a reference.
I hope that he manages to turn things around here but there is a decent chance he just isn`t as good a manager as most would believe after scoring 4 at Bernabeu.
De Boer comparisons are tiresome. Ten Hag took us to the top 3 in his first season.

Someone said this the other day and there may be some truth in it, is he over coaching them to the point that players are confused?
It’s only when he simplifies our game that the players produce the best results.
If he is, its the hill that Lvg died on too

De Boer comparisons are tiresome. Ten Hag took us to the top 3 in his first season.
That comparison may be valid if De Boer was able to guide Palace towards 3rd place. He wasn't, he got sacked after 4 or 5 games. He lost all of these, while ETH has won many games at United.

Someone said this the other day and there may be some truth in it, is he over coaching them to the point that players are confused?
It’s only when he simplifies our game that the players produce the best results.
If he is, its the hill that Lvg died on too
What is it with hills these days? For the past couple of years people have been dying on them all over the place. Then you’ve got the traditional valleys of death. Is nowhere safe?!

And we're lucky to have that. Very little to separate us performance wise from the teams in the relegation zone.
This is not true. We've been much better than relegation teams and have not really been super lucky to have as many points as we do. Performance wise we are probably close to being a top half team this year.

This may have been a case last year where we genuinely did not deserve the 8th.

He did well in the CL one season - don't get me wrong, it was a great campaign, but many other managers who I wouldn't consider top level have also taken smaller teams to a CL semi (e.g., Puel with Lyon, Di Francesco with Roma). I don't think a one-off cup campaign with a relatively low number of matches is necessarily indicative of managerial quality.

100%, Ten Hag is dining out heavily on one season of European performance, his performance in Europe since then has been nowhere near that level. Ranieri won the league with Leicester but we don't have people expecting he could win the league at other clubs because of that one occasion. Ten Hag's average/bad European performances have been much more frequent than his one good season but people seem to believe that the outlier will become the norm if you hope hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.