2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I just don’t think he’s a top keeper at anything.

His attempt to psyche Haaland out didn’t quite work. It helps when you don’t so early you more or less make the kickers mind up for them.

I heard there was a stat that when you are facing penalties, it is always better to wait for the opponent to shoot instead of just picking a side and dive before the shot is taken?

A great character to watch and laugh at for another club.

Utterly hapless penalty shenanighans.

Saved one, amazingly, but I don't think he could actually have been further away from the other stack of pens

We'll be looking for another GK in a year or two, he doesn't have any exceptional quality and I would even go so dar as to say, there are things he does at below average standard.

For now, we just have to tolerate has aberrations as other areas of the pitch need more focus, but his time will come to be substituted.

He's needs to concentrate on saving penalties instead of goofing around.

He looked out of sorts by the end and it just draws unneeded attention.

I love this guy even if he doesn't have De Gea's shot stopping. He has balls of steel and even if his passes are a often a bit low margin he pulls them off and it helps our build up. I feel like the team trusts him on the ball and passes him a lot instead of clearing.

I've never been a fan but criticising a goalkeeper for their performance in a shootout, in which they did in fact save one, is looking for problems.

Very annoying face and attitude. If he didn't play for us, I would absoputely hate his guts. Same with Antony.

No mater your opinion of Onana (and I’ve been very critical), These comments are reaching just a little bit

His long range distribution is not great. Really needs improvement considering we supposedly got him for those skills.

Great performance today. Big save in a shootout too which is more than we got from De Gea. Keep it up.

Fancies himself as a playmaker way too much. Watching him constantly demand the ball at the back and constantly roll it over like a top DM looking for a pass is annoying sometimes. He needs to speed it up. Big season ahead.

Im an Onana fan, looking forward to seeing him this season with a year under his belt, think he'll do well.

Hopefully he starts taking the short option more often when he's got Martinez/De Ligt/Yoro in front of him rather than Maguire and Evans. Great on the ball, and very solid short/medium range passer, but needs to restrict the attempts at the big raking Paul Scholes 60 yard diagonal to the winger to when it's actually on.

I just don’t rate him. He’s not a great shot stopper, he’s not reliable and highly secure, not a huge presence, not a vocal leader and even his distribution is nothing great.

He’ll be another well he looking to replace in 1/2 years time.

The shithousing on penalties only works if you can back it up. I know he saved Bernardo's, but it was a shocker. Didn't get near the rest.

He was alright, passing was decent to good but kept diving too early in the penalties. Best keeper in the world™ barely did anything of note either and had questionable positioning for a couple of our chances. It seems like he's destined to be our new Fred. People just default to jumping on him whenever results are inconvenient.

I do think he's a tier below the rest of the top six keepers and would rather have someone more solid like a Vicario than Onana but the least of our problems.

The shithousing on penalties only works if you can back it up. I know he saved Bernardo's, but it was a shocker. Didn't get near the rest.
He saved one, which would have won the shootout of Sancho had any balls.

I think in general you look for your keeper to save one, then you should be winning the shootout.
Think he's generally been improving as his time at the club goes on.
Admittedly it wasn't a great 1st half of the season, but people are letting that blind them if they think he hasnt improved since then.

It was a bit strange why he seemed to do most of his penalty antics to City's better takers, and then didn't really do anything for the weaker ones. Maybe he was attempting 3d chess, making them expect it and then not doing it.
Agree with this. Thought he would do something with Onana, but didn’t. Felt he dived way too early for the weaker penalty takers too. Other than that, felt he had a solid match

He saved one, which would have won the shootout of Sancho had any balls.

I think in general you look for your keeper to save one, then you should be winning the shootout.
Think he's generally been improving as his time at the club goes on.
Admittedly it wasn't a great 1st half of the season, but people are letting that blind them if they think he hasnt improved since then.
1 out of 8 is not a good record for saving pens by the way.

Not that I'm bothered, he didn't make any mistakes in normal time which is the main thing.

It just baffled me for 10 years watching De Gea fall early to one side and have the taker slot it the other side. And somehow we ended up with a keeper who does the exact same thing. If you're consistently guessing the wrong way nearly every time, just delay your dive and give yourself an actual chance.

Onana ain't that great but we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future. Let's hope for the best.

Didn’t think it was possible to have a worse goalkeeper at saving pens than De Gea….
Well done Onana!

I just don’t think he’s a top keeper at anything.
I agree, having seen mamadashvalli and mignon this summer at the euros. Onana just doesn't look to be an elite class keeper.

I know he was brought for his distribution but he doesnt ping passes like Ederson or Alison either.

It was a bit strange why he seemed to do most of his penalty antics to City's better takers, and then didn't really do anything for the weaker ones. Maybe he was attempting 3d chess, making them expect it and then not doing it.

Think it was his way of bigging himself up against the takers he was most worried about. I didn't have a problem with most of it, but the antics during the Haaland pen were so embarrassing. If he's being a prick like Martinez, he needs to back it up with the saves.

1 out of 8 is not a good record for saving pens by the way.

Not that I'm bothered, he didn't make any mistakes in normal time which is the main thing.

It just baffled me for 10 years watching De Gea fall early to one side and have the taker slot it the other side. And somehow we ended up with a keeper who does the exact same thing. If you're consistently guessing the wrong way nearly every time, just delay your dive and give yourself an actual chance.
Ederson saved 1 out of 8 as well by the way.
Most players are pretty good at penalties these days.