2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I thought he was noticeably more aggressive with his sweeping than he was last season, at least since that Lens game.

Should bode very well for us actually holding some kind of high line when we've got Yoro and Martinez in front of him.

I thought he was noticeably more aggressive with his sweeping than he was last season, at least since that Lens game.

Should bode very well for us actually holding some kind of high line when we've got Yoro and Martinez in front of him.

I'm a bit cautious on his sweeping and general high line as he did similar last pre season which had me excited and then first game of the season we seemed to not do it as much.

I do think a lot of this is interlinked though. Us pushing up much more higher and therefore Onana playing/sweeping much further up the field really comes down to how good we can get our press at the top of the field. Which so far in the first 15/20 mins vs Arsenal, before Rasmus went off looked really good. If we can add an Ugarte, alongside having more aggresive defenders I think we will see us dominate more teams due to being more aggressive in our press, which allows us to play higher and therefore Onana be much higher.

eGLgSR6.jpg

I know, I know we aren't allowed to criticise Onana because the passing, the pointing and the vibez but yeah I can't look passed it.

1. Standing stock still, flat footed watching a shot dribble passed him AGAIN. Yes it took a slight deflection but that doesn't automatically make a shot unsaveable especially when there's a bit of distance from the shot and it's so close to him still. If you cant get down with your hands through a leg at it, its right there. Just poor reactions and his big wide stance again because he hadn't even committed to another direction from the original shot (which was going the same direction anyway)

2. Takes up a position at the near post surely to try cut out a cross (because there's no way Salah is shooting from there). Decides to not try to get anything on the cross despite it being right in front of him and is still standing in the exact same pose as the ball is tapped in. You see keepers dive at these all the time just not Onana obviously.

3. Fairly tame effort palmed right in to the most dangerous area possible. Yeah I know he's not a catcher, given up hope on that long ago but if he's going to slap so much surely he could work on slapping it out of the dangerzone more often.

Also seen him drop a cross in the first half before i fell asleep and missed the second.

Obligatory yes my username is De Gea, no I'm not shitting on Onana because I wish we still had De Gea, yes I thought it was time for DDG to leave. I just thought we could do a lot better than Onana, particularly for the money spent.

eGLgSR6.jpg

I know, I know we aren't allowed to criticise Onana because the passing, the pointing and the vibez but yeah I can't look passed it.

1. Standing stock still, flat footed watching a shot dribble passed him AGAIN. Yes it took a slight deflection but that doesn't automatically make a shot unsaveable especially when there's a bit of distance from the shot and it's so close to him still. If you cant get down with your hands through a leg at it, its right there. Just poor reactions and his big wide stance again because he hadn't even committed to another direction from the original shot (which was going the same direction anyway)

2. Takes up a position at the near post surely to try cut out a cross (because there's no way Salah is shooting from there). Decides to not try to get anything on the cross despite it being right in front of him and is still standing in the exact same pose as the ball is tapped in. You see keepers dive at these all the time just not Onana obviously.

3. Fairly tame effort palmed right in to the most dangerous area possible. Yeah I know he's not a catcher, given up hope on that long ago but if he's going to slap so much surely he could work on slapping it out of the dangerzone more often.

Also seen him drop a cross in the first half before i fell asleep and missed the second.

Obligatory yes my username is De Gea, no I'm not shitting on Onana because I wish we still had De Gea, yes I thought it was time for DDG to leave. I just thought we could do a lot better than Onana, particularly for the money spent.

He's not a good goalkeeper.
It's obvious.

I'd imagine Ineos have taken responsibility of transfers away from ETH.

Blaming him for the second goal is ridiculous, he would have had to taken up a starting position that would basically leave the goal wide open for Salah if he was to be within reach of the cross.

Blaming him for the second goal is ridiculous, he would have had to taken up a starting position that would basically leave the goal wide open for Salah if he was to be within reach of the cross.
I'm not blaming him and I'm not saying they are howlers I'm just documenting what I believe are the times when I think he can do better, something i'm left thinking with a lot of goals he concedes. It' absolutely within his power to dive at that cross from where he is and where the ball is travelling. He just doesnt because he's not a top keeper, not capable of the things top keepers can do that surprise you.

Another season of this joker behind the sticks. Fasten your seatbelts lads.

He is nowhere near consistent enough, Rome wasn't built in a day though and I'd imagine a new GK may be on the horizon next summer, with or without ETH at the helm. We've just got to hope we bring another defender or two and a DM that will give him less to do.

I'm not blaming him and I'm not saying they are howlers I'm just documenting what I believe are the times when I think he can do better, something i'm left thinking with a lot of goals he concedes. It' absolutely within his power to dive at that cross from where he is and where the ball is travelling. He just doesnt because he's not a top keeper, not capable of the things top keepers can do that surprise you.
The still you've used as proof is miles off in terms of where the ball was in line with him, for him to be able to dive for it. At that point, it was nowhere near close enough for him to be able to get near it.

The still you've used as proof is miles off in terms of where the ball was in line with him, for him to be able to dive for it. At that point, it was nowhere near close enough for him to be able to get near it.
hmtTH9y.jpeg

I have to disagree. Bear with me as I'm working off my phone and a daily motion video but in my opinion this was definitely close enough for him he could have got something on it. Especially when you look in conjunction with the first still image you said was misleading, he's standing in the correct position to dive for it, it's at a good height and it's within reach. He just doesn't because he lacks the reflexes and athleticism.

hmtTH9y.jpeg

I have to disagree. Bear with me as I'm working off my phone and a daily motion video but in my opinion this was definitely close enough for him he could have got something on it. Especially when you look in conjunction with the first still image you said was misleading, he's standing in the correct position to dive for it, it's at a good height and it's within reach. He just doesn't because he lacks the reflexes and athleticism.
An instep pass off the left foot doesn't travel in a straight line.

hmtTH9y.jpeg

:lol: Fecking hell. The lengths you will go to…. Where was all this insane over-analysis when your namesake was stinking out the joint?

:lol: Fecking hell. The lengths you will go to…. Where was all this insane over-analysis when your namesake was stinking out the joint?
Well for starters, when DDG was stinking out the joint i wasn't here pulling out amazing mental gymnastics to defend him. As I've said time and again it was time for him to go. Christ I need to change my user name or get one of these tag lines people have to stop tiresome people just constantly going on about DDG with me.

It's not 'insane over-analysis' in my opinion to document Onana's shortcomings either. There seems to be a large amount of posters here, of which I note you are a prime example, who downplay everything he does wrong and make out like people are just picking on him unfairly. Or make out people are unreasonable when they expect better from this supposed top keeper we spunked £50m on.

Anything to say on your guys performance or just attacking me for daring to question his ability? I know, he'll be a top keeper when he doesn't have saves to make, right?

Imagine coming on a player performance thread to analyse a player's performance. What a joke I must be, all in the blind defence of my dead lord and saviour David de Gea too!

Last edited by a moderator:
An instep pass off the left foot doesn't travel in a straight line.
Go watch the video again then. It was my first reaction when I seen it live and I've seen nothing to change my mind since.

Shock horror, dodgy oaf of a keeper that shown time and time again he can't get down quickly or react quickly again fails to get down quickly or react quickly to prevent a goal. It's basically his trade mark at this point.

Don't worry, once the league gets underway and he continues to be awful I'll continue to come here and use my 10 posts to document that. Less we have people start telling us how we're all imagining him being no where near good enough for United.

edited in for posterity saying as I'm out of posts
ZDUdZ0b.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Go watch the video again then. It was my first reaction when I seen it live and I've seen nothing to change my mind since.

Shock horror, dodgy oaf of a keeper that shown time and time again he can't get down quickly or react quickly again fails to get down quickly or react quickly to prevent a goal. It's basically his trade mark at this point.

Don't worry, once the league gets underway and he continues to be awful I'll continue to come here and use my 10 posts to document that. Less we have people start telling us how we're all imagining him being no where near good enough for United.
I've watched it multiple times, I watched the replay when the goal was scored to see if Onana was at fault, and he wasn't. Collyer and Wan Bissaka are to blame for that goal, there are very few(if any) keepers that could keep a good position protecting the near post and then also get to that cross. Salah was on his left on the inside, it wasn't like he was trying to cross it as the ball was running out of play with his right.

99% of time he can be a great keeper. But he always has one or two major errors in him almost per match that could turn out to be fatal.

Ya he needs to cut out those errors or he won’t be first choice the following season.

He should use his feet more like you. The amount of goals I see going in and think DDG swings a leg at that.

I've watched it multiple times, I watched the replay when the goal was scored to see if Onana was at fault, and he wasn't. Collyer and Wan Bissaka are to blame for that goal, there are very few(if any) keepers that could keep a good position protecting the near post and then also get to that cross. Salah was on his left on the inside, it wasn't like he was trying to cross it as the ball was running out of play with his right.
Everytime an opponent is in a goalscoring position, it’s obviously the fault of the outfield players.
But a keeper is there exactly for that, to make up for the mistakes made by the team.
Otherwise whats the point of having a keeper of everytime he faces a shot we say « oh but it’s not his fault »

Everytime an opponent is in a goalscoring position, it’s obviously the fault of the outfield players.
But a keeper is there exactly for that, to make up for the mistakes made by the team.
Otherwise whats the point of having a keeper of everytime he faces a shot we say « oh but it’s not his fault »
I don't think anyone has ever said that every single time he faces a shot. I'm talking about a specific incident here.

I don't think anyone has ever said that every single time he faces a shot. I'm talking about a specific incident here.
Well if you have a look at his thread or match day threads, every single time Onana lets in questionable goals, he’s excused by saying it’s the defenders fault

99% of time he can be a great keeper. But he always has one or two major errors in him almost per match that could turn out to be fatal.
No, he’s a very ordinary keeper plus he makes the major errors. He is very much a downgrade on DDG, and his passing ability isnt consistent enough to make up for it.

He can be somewhat good on his very best days, but they are so few and far in between, that his mere day to day presence as a starter becomes a liability throughout the course of an entire season.

The only potential silver lining is that Martinez was out for much of the year and having two healthy, quality defenders in front of him may help matter out a bit. But all things said, we are likely stuck with this guy indefinitely because ETH "knew him from Holland, heh".

No, he’s a very ordinary keeper plus he makes the major errors. He is very much a downgrade on DDG, and his passing ability isnt consistent enough to make up for it.
De Gea of 6 years ago, maybe. Onana last season was infinitely better than De Gea we had in the last few years of his career.

Someone like Kelleher would have probably done a better job last season for a much cheaper price but it is what it is.

I'd be somewhat satisfied if Onana can perform around the level he did in the latter half of last season.

Oh good another season of coming in here to see Onana blamed for goals he has no chance with.

Didn't see the game only the goals.

Flat footed on shot to far corner, we've seen him do that too often. Think he can do better.

The cut back goal is one we've seen what feels like 1000 times the last few years. I don't think he can really a whole pile he can do there.

The other one, makes a decent save but I think he can smother it or at least push it wide, instead he puts back to the last area you want the ball to go.

Very easy to blame him after a loss, but from the highlights it looked like Utd created some really good chances, Kelleher made a few decent saves, but the forwards should have done better with some of those opportunities.

He has always been ordinary, we massively overpaid for someone who is only really a stop gap. This season should be his last as our first choice keeper.

Not worried about the goals he conceded yesterday, but we’ve seen enough of him flat footed to know it’s an issue. He’s simply just a poor keeper. I’m just surprised at how bad he is with the ball at his feet because that was supposed to have been a strength of his.

With all the other issues with our squad, he's (unfortunately) got some job security regardless of his performances.

He's good I reckon. It's hard because he did make mistakes but he faced 20 shots per match, if he hadn't faced such an obscene number then I reckon people would be raving about him.

That lad @David De Gea being silly. There is no world that goal is anything to do with the keeper. The fact that is what you're pulling out is telling.

Average keeper that always seems to have a mistake in him. If we'd paid 20 million for him then he wouldn't be getting half the flack he is but the fact is that we paid top keeper money. Seems a decent guy, hardworking with a good attitude, but some of his fundamentals just aren't what you'd expect from a top keeper.

Average keeper that always seems to have a mistake in him. If we'd paid 20 million for him then he wouldn't be getting half the flack he is but the fact is that we paid top keeper money. Seems a decent guy, hardworking with a good attitude, but some of his fundamentals just aren't what you'd expect from a top keeper.
A lot of people were also upset to see the back of De Gea and Onana has consequently been judged by unrealistic standards.

When the inevitable manager change happens I’m so sure he’ll be the first one axed from the starting lineup.

He has a fan club here and I just don’t get it but then again so did Tim Howard and I thought he was shite too. When you get a top goalkeeper, you never have to second guess it. When VDS joined he immediately settled us at the back and DDG was class from his second year.

A lot of people were also upset to see the back of De Gea and Onana has consequently been judged by unrealistic standards.
How many teams in the PL do you think would swap their keeper for Onana?

I don't believe it's 'unrealistic standards' to want your goalkeeper to be good at the basics. His best attributes are his calmness on the ball and his distribution, and even the latter of those isn't that good. Opposition teams look encouraged to see him in the team as they know he's not very good and he also has errors in him.

He position would be revisited after this coming season is done.

I must admit, it does seem like whenever a shot is on target it turns into a goal, he doesn't fill me with any confidence at all when it comes to stopping shots.

When the inevitable manager change happens I’m so sure he’ll be the first one axed from the starting lineup.

He has a fan club here and I just don’t get it but then again so did Tim Howard and I thought he was shite too. When you get a top goalkeeper, you never have to second guess it. When VDS joined he immediately settled us at the back and DDG was class from his second year.
There's no doubt there are serious question marks over Onana, but at the same time there's also no doubt that some people go significantly overboard about how many and/or how bad his mistakes are. Both can be true at the same time and that is clearly the case here.

Some people literally criticise him for over 50% of the goals we concede, which basically means they expect that a 'good' goalkeeper would have allowed us to have the lowest goals conceded in the league last season. Which is clearly ridiculous considering the state of our team and the way we were letting record amount of shots at goal. As far as I can see, most (not all) of the people defending Onana just try to keep it fair and criticise him for the ones that he actually deserves it rather than the ridiculous exaggeration that some do.