Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Made 4 tackles and averages 3.1 tackles per 90 mins so far this season in 4 games. Thats the same as Mainoo

Granted at least 1 of his tackles was after he gave the ball away poorly, but thats what an attacker with a good attitude will do - if you lose the ball, work harder to win it back and make up for it. He's a fighter

Made 4 tackles and averages 3.1 tackles per 90 mins so far this season in 4 games. Thats the same as Mainoo

Granted at least 1 of his tackles was after he gave the ball away poorly, but thats what an attacker with a good attitude will do - if you lose the ball, work harder to win it back and make up for it. He's a fighter
He is really good at it, has good balance and uses his body smart. There was a situation towards the end where he just won a tackle so cleanly, imo at least, just planted his foot behind the ball and won it, but the ref found a foul somehow.

He is really good at it, has good balance and uses his body smart. There was a situation towards the end where he just won a tackle so cleanly, imo at least, just planted his foot behind the ball and won it, but the ref found a foul somehow.
Yeah, I was pissed off about that decision too.

Takes a few extra touches and delays passes when he doesn’t need to, I hope to see that aspect of his game become more refined and efficient as he matures with more game time. Had a good performance overall today.

Here's one. "so so" is an absolute insane judgement of today's performance.
I'm not making allowances for him being young or inexperienced. We overhype prospects. Today was a decent performance against a poor team. There'll be bigger challenges and as good as he was he'll need more to be truly successful. He did very little wrong, i'll give him that too, that matters.

Good performance today, not spectacular, but his ball retention is really good and he gets the basics right nearly all of the time. I always feel like he’s capable of making something happen when he recieves the ball in the final third of the pitch.

tidy player and as I watched him link up with Mazraoui I was thinking there's potential there. Great control and weight of pass. Lacks a bit of dynamism that Garnacho provides.

Played well....but comes inside a little too much at times. Would like to see him go on the outside or shoot with his right.

Overall a solid 7/10 for me

tidy player and as I watched him link up with Mazraoui I was thinking there's potential there. Great control and weight of pass. Lacks a bit of dynamism that Garnacho provides.

Played well....but comes inside a little too much at times. Would like to see him go on the outside or shoot with his right.

During the game, commentators did mention he avoids using his right foot. I havent really noticed it before (since Amad hasnt played that much for Manchester United) but it is something to keep an eye on. Surely he cant be more one footed than Antony though?

During the game, commentators did mention he avoids using his right foot. I havent really noticed it before (since Amad hasnt played that much for Manchester United) but it is something to keep an eye on. Surely he cant be more one footed than Antony though?
Im not 100% but there's a website where it tells you how many times a player scores with either foot.

He does invert a lot but I think he's technically a much better footballer than Antony and uses his right foot a lot more.

Think Antony looks quicker mind you

all in the eye test I have to say too. Nothing statistical to back this up. Just today we moved the ball well and you'd love to see Amad collect, push wide and ping it with the right.

Think Mazraoui could be a game changer down that side and Zirkzee picked up some good positions too

First off, I don't think anybody was suggesting he was flawless and most of the comments here suggest to say he was good to very good, which is basically near MOTM contention. However, it seems you are thinking he wasn't 'flawless' (i.e an assessment no one really gave in this thread) but 'nowhere near MOTM' and I'm just trying to figure out what that means.

Even if a player had has a few loose touches, 1) it still doesn't make it not a MOTM performance and 2) it doesn't mean other players would also have such a good reel.

Let's be honest mate, you misspoke when you said 'nowhere near MOTM' and just wanted to calm down some of the praise as you saw some mistakes, which is fair in your position but I (and others) wouldn't agree with. The fact you still haven't named your top three players from the game says it all.

I don't think I misspoke at all, I really don't think he was near MOTM, he had a good game but there were other players that influenced the game more heavily and didn't really make mistakes, De Ligt being way ahead for example, I'd say he was pretty much flawless.

Amad had a good game, but given how good a couple of others were, his good game doesn't have him in the MOTM conversation.

The fact that I haven't named my top three players says the following - I was replying on my phone in the car and had to keep my replies short to avoid getting sick. But as it's important to you, I'd go with De Ligt, Martinez, Onana, with Amad in the honourable mentions pile along with Mazraoui.

Nitpicking but I’d like him to whip/cross a few balls into the box with his right, just so he doesn’t become to reliant on coming in on his left.

But he is putting in consistent performances so far this season.

Thought he was brilliant today, his fitness levels are improving and his decision making is also improving. If Rashford starts banging the ball in the net it gives ETH a pretty bad headache picking a strongest two.

I think he’s still playing within himself. Adhering to the manager’s instructions, being the consummate team player. I feel like there is a lot more to come from Amad as he gains confidence and expresses himself more. Technically he is fecking brilliant. But he still had loads to work on. Vis a vis the Garnacho comparisons, you are right about the explosiveness, but in terms of game management and keeping the ball, Amad is miles ahead. They are two very different players. I really like Garnacho but I definitely feel he is better off the bench right now than he is starting. Against fresh legs he goes down blind alleys ways too much, and falls over his own dribbling, yet as the game gets more stretched, and opponents tire, there are few players better in the PL to bring on than Garnacho. He’s so direct and quick. A literal game changer. He just lacks maturity to know when to use it and when not to. Hence coming off the bench he’s great, because he has 20-30 intense minutes just going at them all the time.

Nitpicking but I’d like him to whip/cross a few balls into the box with his right, just so he doesn’t become to reliant on coming in on his left.

I think it's quite common for players who are adapting to a new level to rely on their stronger foot. He's decently two footed so I'm sure it will come

Is it just me or did anyone else think he wasn’t that great today. He had a LOT of space at times and was a little too predictable for the RB. Normally with that amount of space, you expect him to get a goal or an assist.

Is it just me or did anyone else think he wasn’t that great today. He had a LOT of space at times and was a little too predictable for the RB. Normally with that amount of space, you expect him to get a goal or an assist.
He did get an assist.

Very good - but he has potential to be better by working on using his right foot more and decision making needs to improve in the final third. Having Bruno beside you making crap decisions makes Amad’s incorrect decisions go under the radar.

Garnacho will 100% not be happy being a sub. He is already tweeting and liking Ronaldo tweets with the hump.
Garnacho is still a youngster and should be treated as one. Honestly he's getting plenty of playing time. He will rotate with Amad / Rashford. I'm not worried about him being unhappy at all. And he definitely doesn't have the reason for it, we're 4 games in the season.

Garnacho is still a youngster and should be treated as one. Honestly he's getting plenty of playing time. He will rotate with Amad / Rashford. I'm not worried about him being unhappy at all. And he definitely doesn't have the reason for it, we're 4 games in the season.
He’s most likely starting Tuesday too. He’ll be fine.

Thought he was good today but needs to use his right foot more. He has a good work rate on him now, with some better physicality despite the height. Capable of quick interchanges and sharp decision making.

Would like to see him surprise opponents with shots or crosses with both feet, but overall it's a very fine start.

I don't think I misspoke at all, I really don't think he was near MOTM, he had a good game but there were other players that influenced the game more heavily and didn't really make mistakes, De Ligt being way ahead for example, I'd say he was pretty much flawless.

Amad had a good game, but given how good a couple of others were, his good game doesn't have him in the MOTM conversation.

The fact that I haven't named my top three players says the following - I was replying on my phone in the car and had to keep my replies short to avoid getting sick. But as it's important to you, I'd go with De Ligt, Martinez, Onana, with Amad in the honourable mentions pile along with Mazraoui.

Fair enough but I would still disagree and that's fine. No need for us to both agree but just for some context in case you may have missed it:

Martinez - when Dalot was getting no help down his left side and getting beaten, he uncharacteristically stayed in his box and didn't push out to help Dalot to cover that wing. Wasn't bad but wasn't his usual committed defending and that hesistancy caused an issue as we were pushed back; he left Dalot out to dry for a while before the goal. After the goal was calm with his passing and did well in that left channel in the second half but the game was already won as Southampton were neutered.

Onana - routine-ish far post save that he pushed back into the middle of the box (i.e not good) and then obviously came up with a fantastic penalty save, which sort of won us the game as it turned the momentum. Other than that, a few decent collected aerials and balls along the ground. After the goals, barely had anything to do.

de Ligt - sold himself for a very obvious dummy in the first half but was decent and then changed the tide massively with his goal. Was good with not much to do but had a few bad passes choices iirc. Almost recreated his mid-week Netherlands pass straight to another attacker in the second half.

Amad - before the goal, was pretty much the only outfield player who was retaining possession, whilst being an outlet off it and created several good chances with his dribbling and composure*. Also assisted for Rashford's goal with a very simple pass. Second half, made a load of tackles, attacked the channel, held the ball and again created a few chances.

*Zirkzee was good on the ball but wasn't a direct threat like Amad was.

Mazraoui - I don't remember any specifics but I did think he had a very good game on the ball and can't remember any defensive issues. I don't think Southampton attacked much down that side and he also had Amad doing a good job in front of him.

So in summary, as I had said before, to choose Onana and de Ligt as first choice MOTM, fair enough, wouldn't necessarily disagree. To put Martinez is a big stretch (and I'm a big fan of his) because most of his good work was after the goals when the game/tide was won. Mazraoui was good but Amad's influence was consistent before the goal (where Southampton dominated us in possession) and after.

Good performance and great to finally have a quality RW.
Definitely looks like he has more strength on the ball now.

It's not nitpicking, he's just a better version of Antony if he keeps coming in on his left, defenders will get wise to it, he needs to go down the line on the outside a bit more to keep then guessing, but overall he's been generally good and hopefull that continuesy

I'm not making allowances for him being young or inexperienced. We overhype prospects. Today was a decent performance against a poor team. There'll be bigger challenges and as good as he was he'll need more to be truly successful. He did very little wrong, i'll give him that too, that matters.
Is there any fanbase that doesn't overhype their young prospects? I think it's only natural to look at the positives when there's a promising youngster getting increased gametime.

Deserves to start so far. His technical ability and close control is great and has that bit of extra pace that Antony does not which helps quite a bit. Maybe he can evolve into a Saka type winger, let's see.

He does try to look for the cut back quite a bit - I'd like to see him just take his chances instead. Could've had a couple already.

I think a few are not understanding him at all. Antony needs his right foot because of the level he is at as a footballer. Amad don’t need the right foot as much because his dribbling is top tier and belive me he’s cutting in when he knows he has shifted the defender. I’m very sure he got no problem going on the outside if need be.

Is there any fanbase that doesn't overhype their young prospects? I think it's only natural to look at the positives when there's a promising youngster getting increased gametime.
They do but it seems more extreme at united than most places or the extra media scrutiny makes it more of a problem. I dont think it does them any favours and theres too many prospects in or around the team to blow smoke up their ass imo. On the bright side i wont be calling him a championship player when he inevitably has a bad game either.

Fair enough but I would still disagree and that's fine. No need for us to both agree but just for some context in case you may have missed it:

Martinez - when Dalot was getting no help down his left side and getting beaten, he uncharacteristically stayed in his box and didn't push out to help Dalot to cover that wing. Wasn't bad but wasn't his usual committed defending and that hesistancy caused an issue as we were pushed back; he left Dalot out to dry for a while before the goal. After the goal was calm with his passing and did well in that left channel in the second half but the game was already won as Southampton were neutered.

Onana - routine-ish far post save that he pushed back into the middle of the box (i.e not good) and then obviously came up with a fantastic penalty save, which sort of won us the game as it turned the momentum. Other than that, a few decent collected aerials and balls along the ground. After the goals, barely had anything to do.

de Ligt - sold himself for a very obvious dummy in the first half but was decent and then changed the tide massively with his goal. Was good with not much to do but had a few bad passes choices iirc. Almost recreated his mid-week Netherlands pass straight to another attacker in the second half.

Amad - before the goal, was pretty much the only outfield player who was retaining possession, whilst being an outlet off it and created several good chances with his dribbling and composure*. Also assisted for Rashford's goal with a very simple pass. Second half, made a load of tackles, attacked the channel, held the ball and again created a few chances.

*Zirkzee was good on the ball but wasn't a direct threat like Amad was.

Mazraoui - I don't remember any specifics but I did think he had a very good game on the ball and can't remember any defensive issues. I don't think Southampton attacked much down that side and he also had Amad doing a good job in front of him.

So in summary, as I had said before, to choose Onana and de Ligt as first choice MOTM, fair enough, wouldn't necessarily disagree. To put Martinez is a big stretch (and I'm a big fan of his) because most of his good work was after the goals when the game/tide was won. Mazraoui was good but Amad's influence was consistent before the goal (where Southampton dominated us in possession) and after.

I think you're being harsh on Martinez given the following:

And with regards to Amad, I said he played well, but many of his passes through to create chances for us were slightly overhit, in particular there were a couple for Bruno who was forced wide, and there were a few times where he put teammates under pressure with weak passes. There was a beautifully weighted ball through to Rashford I remember in particular too, he definitely hit the heights, but didn't stay there all game.

He's well deserving of his starts at the moment though, so I imagine he'll get a bit more consistent with games.

And with regards to Amad, I said he played well, but many of his passes through to create chances for us were slightly overhit, in particular there were a couple for Bruno who was forced wide, and there were a few times where he put teammates under pressure with weak passes. There was a beautifully weighted ball through to Rashford I remember in particular too, he definitely hit the heights, but didn't stay there all game.

He's well deserving of his starts at the moment though, so I imagine he'll get a bit more consistent with games.

Are you expecting perfection or what? Most great players overhit a pass or 2 (usually way more, especially for attackers) every game.

Antony needs to learn from him. You don't have to dribble, pass and move can be just as good. Diallo is excellent at it.

"Created more than twice as many chances as any other player."

I mean yeah, stats and all.

It was a poor Southampton team but that was as complete a performance (on and off the ball) compared relatively to everyone else on the pitch yet somehow nowhere near MOTM.

Last edited:
I think a few are not understanding him at all. Antony needs his right foot because of the level he is at as a footballer. Amad don’t need the right foot as much because his dribbling is top tier and belive me he’s cutting in when he knows he has shifted the defender. I’m very sure he got no problem going on the outside if need be.
This is not true, Amad needs to use his right foot more and be effective using it, if he is to progress as a footballer. If he keeps doing the same thing over and over again, teams will eventually figure him out easily.