Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I know it's not the done thing for many but dare I say that maybe ETH has handled Amad very well.

He always praised him and we fans were angry that despite praise Amad didn't se m to get the minutes we wanted to see him get.

He was injured last season and maybe just maybe ETH handled his injury and return to games/minutes brilliantly.
Forson starting ahead of him was perplexing at the time but if the club were trying to convince him to sign it may be understandable.

As long as the club were also assuring Amad that he'd was in the plans and would get gametime once that was sorted I can overlook it in hindsight.

At what point do you think he started looking the part?
As in, someone who can be a stand out starter for Manchester United.
It was never about “being a stand out starter”. Quite frankly last year we basically had 3 players total that looked like that (Mainoo, Bruno, Dalot) with the rest being a bit of a rollercoaster.

But given the potential and ability he had already shown, the actual traits of the player, and the sorely lacking attacking thrust of the team, the fact that he was basically never given a run of a couple games in a row until the very end of the season was criminal. He literally won us the Liverpool game and then was promptly benched for the next 4 games. Mind you this is after we refused to let him go on loan in January.

It was criminal mismanagement. I’d excuse it of course if we had Mo Salah on the right or some prolific frontline already starting where minutes are just really tough to come by, but we were incredibly toothless much of the year. And it’s letting the manager completely off the hook by saying “oh Amad just hadn’t shown anything yet” as if the alternative options had shown much more.

It was never about “being a stand out starter”. Quite frankly last year we basically had 3 players total that looked like that (Mainoo, Bruno, Dalot) with the rest being a bit of a rollercoaster.

But given the potential and ability he had already shown, the actual traits of the player, and the sorely lacking attacking thrust of the team, the fact that he was basically never given a run of a couple games in a row until the very end of the season was criminal. He literally won us the Liverpool game and then was promptly benched for the next 4 games. Mind you this is after we refused to let him go on loan in January.

It was criminal mismanagement. I’d excuse it of course if we had Mo Salah on the right or some prolific frontline already starting where minutes are just really tough to come by, but we were incredibly toothless much of the year. And it’s letting the manager completely off the hook by saying “oh Amad just hadn’t shown anything yet” as if the alternative options had shown much more.

From Amad’s return to fitness at Xmas until Liverpool in the cup:

Rashford:
13 games - 6 goals, 2 assists (including goals v Villa, Spurs, City & Liverpool).

So the argument here seems to be that he should’ve been given Garnacho’s minutes prior to that Liverpool game, something I couldn’t disagree with more, Garna earnt his spot and someone needed to take it from him.
Amad got his chance, took it with both hands, but let’s not forget that Antony & Rashford both scored vs Liverpool also & Garna got an assist. Diallo also got himself suspended which put the brakes on for him.

Ok, after Amad’s long injury in the FA Cup vs. Newport, Forsen got 2 minutes.
In the next round, Amad got 17 minutes v Forest (a much stronger opponent).
Amad was picked ahead of him again vs Liverpool in the following round, and was brought on before him in the semi vs. Coventry.

Amad was first to be picked of the two in the league, playing 36 minutes vs Forest on 30th December. Forsen then got 4 minutes vs. Wolves on 1st Feb, being involved in Mainoo last ditch winner.

Then comes the only game where the claim can be made, after his assist he was awarded with a start vs. Fulham, which he flunked and since then Amad was once again preferred just as he was previously. If you wanna nitpick that Forsen was thrown into a derby shitshow we were getting battered in, for a massive 8 minutes I’ll give you two games.
For me in addition to the amount of minutes, one has to consider appearances vs non-appearances (from 2024 when Amad was back fit).

Before Amad really started enjoying a run in the team from around 13/03/24 (mostly from the bench still), Forson had 3 premier league appearances to Amad's 1. They may have been miniscule minutes but it made no sense. Forson also started one of those games and Amad was limited to bench appearances.

We're not talking Antony or Garnacho here, but Forson. Amad and Forson are in no way comparable talent-wise, so it's completely understandable why a lot of fans, myself included, were bemused.

For me in addition to the amount of minutes, one has to consider appearances vs non-appearances (from 2024 when Amad was back fit).

Before Amad really started enjoying a run in the team from around 13/03/24 (mostly from the bench still), Forson had 3 premier league appearances to Amad's 1. They may have been miniscule minutes but it made no sense. Forson also started one of those games and Amad was limited to bench appearances.

We're not talking Antony or Garnacho here, but Forson. Amad and Forson are in no way comparable talent-wise, so it's completely understandable why a lot of fans, myself included, were bemused.
I think they were trying to persuade Forson to stay/re-sign contract, otherwise there is no reason to pick Forson, or Antony over Amad

Rashford:
13 games - 6 goals, 2 assists (including goals v Villa, Spurs, City & Liverpool).

So the argument here seems to be that he should’ve been given Garnacho’s minutes prior to that Liverpool game, something I couldn’t disagree with more, Garna earnt his spot and someone needed to take it from him.
Amad got his chance, took it with both hands, but let’s not forget that Antony & Rashford both scored vs Liverpool also & Garna got an assist. Diallo also got himself suspended which put the brakes on for him.

Insert 'any other capable player' should have taken minutes off Garnacho, Rashford and Antony. In fact, short of perhaps Dalot, who was basically fit all season and had good average form/performances, every single player should have been rotating minutes in their position. That includes Bruno and Mainoo for different reasons.

The issue isn't that your Garnachos, Rashfords and Antonys didn't produce some numbers in the final third, the issue is that all of those players played the majority of minutes when it was clear they were either tired/overplayed (Garnacho) or shite (Rashford and Antony). With Amad's quality, he should and could have easily taken 100's of minutes of those players. That's on ETH.

To be fair to ETH, I think it was quite clear he wanted to promote Mainoo and Amad in last year's pre-season (before their injuries ended that) so I will give him benefit of the doubt in terms of his recognition of their quality. However, as we have seen with his suicidal 4-1-5/4-2--4 formation and tactics that he persisted for almost the entire season, he has some issues when it comes to rotation and changing the formula. Amrabat, Amad and Eriksen all suffered from this also.

Every year in pre-season there is one player who just looks “it”. Ready to make a big difference for the season and be the break out player of the next campaign. If doesn’t always work out that way, but thankfully sometimes it does. Last season it was Mainoo. You could just watch him and know that he was pure quality and was going to be brilliant if he got regular minutes. Well, we know how that went. He exceeded expectations.

This year that player is unequivocally Amad. Going into the new season he’s the player I am simply most excited about playing for us. It’s the first time I’ve looked at our right wing in a very long time and felt that we have an indisputable first choice, and a player that is truly dangerous.

I really think this kid is the complete package. In the past I’ve wondered if he was quick and strong enough to really shine in the PL, but those fears have been put to bed. He looks rapid these days, and more importantly than that, he looks as fast with the ball as he does without it. Which is a truly rare trait. The ball just sticks to his feet.

The most surprising development for me is the quality of his shooting. This kid has an absolute hammer of a left foot. His strike against Newcastle and then his strike against Betis came from very similar positions, but were both hit with a controlled ferocity that is rare, just so much power on both shots but both stayed low and were just arrow straight like a bullet into the corner. Unsavable due to the power. To be able to hit a moving ball that hard and keep it that low, shows some serious technical proficiency.

If he stays injury free, and gets a run in the side, I just don’t see any way that he doesn’t rack up some seriously decent numbers this year. He runs at players with real intent and because his center of gravity is so low, he goes inside and out, he’ll be a nightmare for defences. He’s the perfect example of how players develop at non-linear rates. He’s just turned 22, and by many people’s standards “if he hasn’t shown more by now, he never will”, he could have been written off already.

It just shows the virtue of understanding the role of patience in player development. Especially when you consider that so many legends of the game didn’t even break into their respective first teams until they were 21 or 22. We’ve just become obsessed as a culture with the idea of wonder kids, being brilliant at 18, and if they aren’t world class by 20 or 21, then they’ve stagnated or are overrated. But that’s just not how it works. 22 is still a very young player and there’s loads more development to come from him.

I am really excited by what he can bring this coming season. It now genuinely looks like Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund, Zirkzee, and Amad is an exciting group of players, with genuine quality and competition for places. And they are 26, 20, 21, 23 and 22 respectively. Dare I say it, there’s Sancho too. If he isn’t sold, he can play right and left and gives you 6 players for 2 positions. Antony is clearly odd man out. His quality is so much below the rest of them. He’s had two full seasons as first choice RW and he’s genuinely regressed, even from a starting point of not being good enough yet.

Vis a vis Antony, I do think there is a decent player in there, but not a player that has any weapons which are capable of elevating him to being a forward for a big club. Outside of Europe’s big three leagues, I think he could be a very good player for a top club, but at the highest level he is just too predictable and lacks any real physical weapons….like searing pace…..to make that predictability effective. Like Arjen Robben who you knew was going to cut inside and run at you, but he was just so fecking quick, and his control so good, that it didn’t matter if he wrote you a letter before the match stating his intentions to cut inside every time. You still couldn’t stop him.

But finally back to Amad, on this long winded ramble, he is a player that has an X factor. And those players are truly few and far between. You watch how he dribbles, and the little touches he makes, the positions he takes up, the way he varies his game, his work rate, and the way he hits his shots; and you just know that if he puts it all together consistently, he can become one of the best players in the team, if not the league. Now, whether he will do that is a different question, but he’s genuinely one of those that you think has the actual tools to reach that sort of level.

Still a long way to go for him. Ups and downs. But he’s a very exciting player that has matured enormously these last two years. If you look into his background you’ll see a humility and ability to overcome adversity that tells you he is not the sort of person to give up or shy away from hard work; and that right there is half the battle.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what's his contractual situation?
1+1, he said in a conference he wants to stay for life. Romano has said earlier this summer Man Utd will probably negotiate later in the year to extend.

Nothing to worry about unless he suddenly gets no game time when the season starts

Rashford:

Amad also likely wasn’t actually fit. It’s not like you can have that injury and then just be ok once you’ve done your rehab, will take a while to be up to fitness surely.

1+1, he said in a conference he wants to stay for life. Romano has said earlier this summer Man Utd will probably negotiate later in the year to extend.

Nothing to worry about unless he suddenly gets no game time when the season starts

Thanks, brother.

We need to secure that long-term. Can never go wrong with technically sound players that aren't afraid of and know how to treat the ball.

Amad also likely wasn’t actually fit. It’s not like you can have that injury and then just be ok once you’ve done your rehab, will take a while to be up to fitness surely.

I find it odd posters are ignoring a rather long injury lay off for a player who wasn’t yet a full part of the first team.
They are also then forgetting that, whilst boss as feck, he also screwed himself by getting suspended after he eventually took his big moment.
Since then though it’s obvious, just as it was with Garna and Mainoo, that he’d rightfully earned his managers trust and was going to feature more and more.

Young talent bought, season to settle in the city and in the club around academy and youth team, followed by a couple of loans and a breakthrough season at 21 seems pretty textbook of how you want these things to work out. Yet as always, moan cafe can’t help themselves because he should’ve been straight in after his 126 day injury or something like that.

I find it odd posters are ignoring a rather long injury lay off for a player who wasn’t yet a full part of the first team.
They are also then forgetting that, whilst boss as feck, he also screwed himself by getting suspended after he eventually took his big moment.
Since then though it’s obvious, just as it was with Garna and Mainoo, that he’d rightfully earned his managers trust and was going to feature more and more.

Young talent bought, season to settle in the city and in the club around academy and youth team, followed by a couple of loans and a breakthrough season at 21 seems pretty textbook of how you want these things to work out. Yet as always, moan cafe can’t help themselves because he should’ve been straight in after his 126 day injury or something like that.
It’s genuinely because, I suspect, most just look at his injury history on transfermarkt, see him on the bench after his injury and don’t actually think about much more than that.

Rashford:

Let’s firstly not act like Rashford was brilliant and unshakeable in those games, most of those goals masked crap performances.

And my argument is that he should have consistently been the first option off the bench if he wasn’t getting starts. Not sure why you seem to think I wanted him to be an immediate nailed on starter. Getting a 1 game suspension means feck all so that’s not an excuse either. Garnacho played something like 30 straight games in a row.

It’s not difficult to rotate and find minutes, especially in what was a severely underperforming attack.

I'm surprised that no-one has credited Mr Woodward with signing Amad :devil:.

Jokes aside, I am so excited that he is doing well in pre season. I've not watched any game so far, only the highlights, but I've followed Amad since we bought him and some of the videos I saw when he was in the youth setup for Atalanta really demonstrated his talent. The icing on the cake seems to be his personality, humble and focussed.

I'm expecting a big impression when the season starts, he's 22 now, he has to be fighting for the right wing and given what's ahead of him, he should be winning it no problem. Personally I still see him more as a AMC but since Bruno and Mount have that spot, just to see him play RW will just do.

The most impressive thing for me about Amad is the positions he always gets himself into. He showed that plenty of times last year. Hoping he gets double figures with goals this year.

He’s probably the most technically complete footballer in the squad IMO, but he needs to put it together this season. I’m pretty sure he will. Look how good his touch is, his shooting technique, his passing as well. He can help us a lot in possession phases, but also be a goal threat, whether assisting or scoring. It’s kind of hypothetical at the moment as he’s hardly played in the PL, but I think it can all happen quickly for him. You only need to see him take the ball a few times to see how talented he is.

I made the point already that it's the only thing that makes sense. And if that's the reason, it's perfectly reasonable

Amad made his first sub appearance vs Forest in December, and most people thought he had a promising cameo.

He then wasn't seen for another 2 months, despite being fit. So it was nothing to do with his injury. And then after Liverpool winner, it was another 7 games before he was rewarded with an actual start. The whole thing was ridiculous.

You would think the fact we finished 8th would suggest to people that maybe this manager is capable of making mistakes. If the manager can make so many mistakes to make the team worse in his 2 years here, then it's quite plausible he could have made a mistake here in his management of Amad.

If he finally gets to start some games this season and does well, that does not prove Ten Hag's management of him before this season has been good. There's no reason he couldn't have been starting last season and he'd be even further ahead in his development right now with half a season in the premier league under his belt. If he's good this season, there will be people actually claiming that the reason he's this good is because Ten Hag sat him on the bench last season. It's quite bizarre.

Thanks, brother.

We need to secure that long-term. Can never go wrong with technically sound players that aren't afraid of and know how to treat the ball.
Changed agent recently to Garnacho's as well interestingly.

Amad made his first sub appearance vs Forest in December, and most people thought he had a promising cameo.

He then wasn't seen for another 2 months, despite being fit. So it was nothing to do with his injury. And then after Liverpool winner, it was another 7 games before he was rewarded with an actual start. The whole thing was ridiculous.

You would think the fact we finished 8th would suggest to people that maybe this manager is capable of making mistakes. If the manager can make so many mistakes to make the team worse in his 2 years here, then it's quite plausible he could have made a mistake here in his management of Amad.

If he finally gets to start some games this season and does well, that does not prove Ten Hag's management of him before this season has been good. There's no reason he couldn't have been starting last season and he'd be even further ahead in his development right now with half a season in the premier league under his belt. If he's good this season, there will be people actually claiming that the reason he's this good is because Ten Hag sat him on the bench last season. It's quite bizarre.
Not defending EtH here, but I remember comments from Fletch saying that Amad needed/needs to improve his off the ball work, so it seems that the coaches thought Amad's off the ball work was not there yet to give him chances, not sure this is a good excuse because a player can improve with game time, he was doing well with Sunderland and perhaps he needed to be given a chance in the first team to get that off the ball work working

Moot discussion going on. Finally, the manager has seen the light or the player has improved/worked enough to put himself in the picture. Now, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope he can stay fit. He has the talent, time for him to show that in real games and shine.

Well taken goal, and seems he had a good game as well. I really hope that we get to see more of him, as he just makes everything look so easy.

Massive hopes for Amad this year. He can go outside or inside from the wing, seems to be a bit faster than before, is deceptively strong and has a really powerful shot.

He is a bit similar to Greenwood (regarding the playing style and attributes listed above).

Massive hopes for Amad this year. He can go outside or inside from the wing, seems to be a bit faster than before, is deceptively strong and has a really powerful shot.

He is a bit similar to Greenwood (regarding the playing style and attributes listed above).
Bar the hammer left foot shot, I don't think they're similar at all. Either way, great to have the RW spot with genuine options now with Garnacho as well.

Just watched the Betis game and he’s been incredible here. His dribble to win the penalty was special and his goal was also insanely well taken. I’m seriously hyped at the moment, could end our best attacker this season.

If he’s going to stamp his authority on the first team then this is the season. He’s looked impressive so far.

Should have started more games last season, hopefully he's a nailed on starter now.

The kid has always been a huge talent, incredibly gifted. An has the right application.

His previous pre-seasons were disappointing, but seems to be really taking it this year.

He's looked sharp so far. Hope he stays fit and gets a run in the side to start the new campaign and then takes that chance with both hands.

It's just so refreshing seeing players like Amad, Amass, and Collyer being so technically sound. We've been crying out to overhaul our squad to players that have close control, first touch, range of passing, etc etc to play through elite teams presses. I have no idea if any of those three will become first team regulars but I have hope that our academy is producing the right kinds of players technique-wise and I am finally starting to trust the football people at the club are targeting those kinds of players (Yoro and Zirkzee are such a good start) in the transfer market. The days of the likes of AWB, McTominay etc types (good players but limited especially with the ball at their feet) are hopefully coming to an end sooner than later.

I hope we give this lad a solid run early in the season and show faith even with some off days.
He seems to have the lot, and just needs to build on it. He could be special with the right guidance.

Very impressed with his pre-season so far. Really looks like he's comfortable and confident in the team, and with the bravery to run with the ball and attack opponents and look to make things happen.

Hopefully that continues when the serious games start, and when Garnacho is back competing for the role and Bruno's back in the team as the main playmaker.

It's taken a while since those very exciting few appearances in the U21's - when we were scoring 5 and 6 in games with him having a starring role - but great to see him putting in those types of performances with the first team.

He has all the skills to be top quality but I doubted his mentality. Could he fight and babe decisive when needed? Two incidents today has given me hope he will be what we all hope for.

He tracked back early in the half to intercept a chance in our box and cleared well. Last season he wouldn’t have been there or been pushed of the ball. Development.

Also the conviction in his finish was encouraging. He had similar chances in preseason last year and missed then went missing. This year he misses but reacts positively. Development.

Bar the hammer left foot shot, I don't think they're similar at all. Either way, great to have the RW spot with genuine options now with Garnacho as well.

Right wing and can play centrally.
Can go inside and outside.
Deceptively quick.
Surprisingly hard shot.

Which of them don’t you think has any of those?