Marcus Rashford England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
A friend of mine messaged me yesterday, as he was building his fantasy team. He mentioned he had been following United’s preseason, and that Rashford was looking really sharp. And this from a Liverpool fan. It’s funny how perspectives tend to differ. I tend to agree with him, and have a feeling Rashford will have a decent season. Only time will tell, I guess.
He's trolling you.

He wasn’t, but I appreciate the witty response all the same!
I hope Marcus has a great season too but I'd rather we start Garnacho and Amad for most of our games. He's still a unique and dangerous option especially against teams with a high defensive line but I think time has shown he is both over rated and over paid.

I think the emergence of Amad on the right means the clock is ticking for Rashford this season. If Amad takes his opportunity, which I think he will, then Rashford will have Garnacho breathing down his neck. Whilst I don't think Garnacho will achieve that top level status e.g. Mbappe, Bale, Ronaldo etc I think he has all of the fundamental tools to be in that tier below. Apart from the physicality and speed of Rashford, I think Garnacho is more talented than him in every other area. Garnacho also seems to be very mentally strong/confident.

If by the end of the season it is solidified that Garnacho and Amad are the main wingers, it'll be interesting to see what Rashford chooses to do. Whether to stay or move on. He will always be a valuable player off the bench (which is ultimately what I think he should be in a title winning team) so I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of him.

I think the emergence of Amad on the right means the clock is ticking for Rashford this season. If Amad takes his opportunity, which I think he will, then Rashford will have Garnacho breathing down his neck. Whilst I don't think Garnacho will achieve that top level status e.g. Mbappe, Bale, Ronaldo etc I think he has all of the fundamental tools to be in that tier below. Apart from the physicality and speed of Rashford, I think Garnacho is more talented than him in every other area. Garnacho also seems to be very mentally strong/confident.

If by the end of the season it is solidified that Garnacho and Amad are the main wingers, it'll be interesting to see what Rashford chooses to do. Whether to stay or move on. He will always be a valuable player off the bench (which is ultimately what I think he should be in a title winning team) so I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of him.
The thing about football is it quite fickle and people only really consider recent form. With that in mind I'd say that Garnacho isn't breathing down Rashford's neck, he is already pretty far clear in the pecking order

The thing about football is it quite fickle and people only really consider recent form. With that in mind I'd say that Garnacho isn't breathing down Rashford's neck, he is already pretty far clear in the pecking order

But Garnacho did all his best work from the RW last season. Why would we switch him back to a position where he consistently struggled?

As it stands, I’d say it should be Rashford left wing and Garnacho right wing, with Amad very close behind - and that’s based on performances last season. Obviously, if Marcus does start the season slowly we can try Garnacho again that side and see if he can make more impact.

But Garnacho did all his best work from the RW last season. Why would we switch him back to a position where he consistently struggled?

As it stands, I’d say it should be Rashford left wing and Garnacho right wing, with Amad very close behind - and that’s based on performances last season. Obviously, if Marcus does start the season slowly we can try Garnacho again that side and see if he can make more impact.
I don't think he struggled. Probably better on the right but then we now have Amad emerging.

I'd start the season with Garnacho at LW and Amad at RW. Rashford needs to battle for his place.

I agree that the Garnacho of last season is clear of the Rashford of last season. However, I think Ten Hag will start with Rashford on the left on Friday and to start the season. If Rashford does start well and looks like its the old Rashford then that will be an asset to us. If he continues his form then Garnacho is there to take his spot. If its the former then we may have 3 in form wingers in Rashford, Garnacho and Amad for the season. If its the later then just Garnacho and Amad (basing this on those two stepping their game up this season). Either way I think it makes sense to give Rashford a game or two to prove he deserves to start. If it turns out as we expect that he doesn't deserve to start then he will have no compliants.

My view is still that Garnacho and Amad will end up the established wingers for us at some point this season.

If he was getting paid like a great bench option then I'd love to keep him too but with his current salary no team in the world can afford to have him as a bench option. If he loses his starting job we have to try and sell him. It will be extremely difficult though considering what he's on.

If he was getting paid like a great bench option then I'd love to keep him too but with his current salary no team in the world can afford to have him as a bench option. If he loses his starting job we have to try and sell him. It will be extremely difficult though considering what he's on.

As we have seen from multiple players who are on big wages trying to sell them is not that easy.

However, with Rashford there are slight differences. He is a genuine superstar, as popular as Sancho is Rashford is on another level so its likely more teams would be willing to take on his salary because of all the marketing benefits plus in the right team i.e. that counter attacks he is still a very very good player. I could also see us keeping him even if he becomes the first player off the bench option. If he is one of the last big contract players who isn't a first 11 choice then its easier to carry his wages. I'd also assume from a marketing stand point his image contributes to our revenue much more than a Varane or Casemiro. Plus he is a local lad, english etc. So I'm not sure whether its a dead cert he would leave if he permanently becomes a bench player.

Sick of his PR and sick of him, I hope this is the last season I have to watch him in a United shirt.

Spot on.
I can't count the amount of times he gives possession back to the opponent or tries a trick or two and then just passes it backwards or loses it.
People keeps believing that 22/23 Rashford is his real identity but if you divide that season into three equal parts majority of his goals came in the middle third and the most notable thing I have always realised is that when he plays well, none of the other forwards play well because he never really cares to create for anyone else, The 19/20 season was probably the best season he played as a team player because Martial always combined well with him but after that season, Martial was finished and that was it for Rashford as a team player, even in his great 22/23 season until now, all I ever saw was a player who gave the ball away probably more than any other good winger that I can think of, probably has the least amount of crosses accurately delivered or even just delivered, probably takes more shots than any other winger in the league, maybe with the exception of Salah.

You can never win a league title if only one player is scoring all the goals, everyone else has to be involved, but when you have a player that literally only plays for himself and also gives the ball away at a volume more than most wingers in the league, always seems to shoot on sight even though his accuracy is woeful, you're already playing catchup to the city's and Arsenal's of this world.

The most painful thing for me to watch that he does is when we build up the play and then once it reaches him, either the move dies and we have to start all over again or when he gives possession away and we have to start running and trying to press to get the ball back and when we finally get it back and build up again, he gives it away again and the worst part about that is that when he gives it away, he chases like a mad man for about 3-5 seconds then he's done.

Ten Hag is finally building a more technical team and the only players that are left who are not as secure in possession are Rashford, Mctominay, and to a smaller extent, Maguire, Garnacho and Bruno, but I can live with the latter three because at least Bruno and Garnacho are always trying to make something happen and I have always believed that you can always have a maximum of two of these types of players on your team but if you have more than two in the starting line-up, it is a huge detriment to the whole team and keeps you chasing, pressing a lot more because you keep losing possession and obviously getting tired a lot quicker, plus Maguire is now the fourth choice center back so hopefully the less we see of him the better and hopefully Mctominay gets sold.
Pretty well said. I think he brings similar problems that lukaku brought to United. But with Rashford they are less obvious, better masked, because he’s usually out wide and his style looks effective eg he’ll run and beat a player etc

Man Utd 1:0 Fulham New
Only caught the last 20 minutes but thought he looked ok; loved that he tried to square the ball for Garnacho.

I thought he was fine but not near his best

He's trying but he doesn't do anything at a decent level anymore except running behind.

Passing, dribbling and shooting are all completely off.

Hmmm looked physically stronger, that’s about it. Gets an assist at the very least another day?

Camt seem to take on a player and also seems clueless when he gets in the final third. His defensive play near the end of the game was embarrassing.

That was an awful performance. All he did in the first half was getting the ball and pass it side ways.

Awful footballer who needs to be sold soon.

Thought he played well without doing anything individually that exceptional. Work rate was great and deserved the assist at the end. Solid 7/10 performance.

He was better than I dared to hope. But the least brave player I can think of. Shirks every time.

Still expect him to play on the wide left next 3-4 games as Erik is surely desperate to get someone scoring goals.

He was better than I dared to hope. But the least brave player I can think of. Shirks every time.

Still expect him to play on the wide left next 3-4 games as Erik is surely desperate to get someone scoring goals.

Also by far the best of our wingers today, so yeah i think he will keep his place without too much issue.

Pretty average Rashford performance. Nowhere near his best or his worst.

Could easily have had a couple assists.

Also by far the best of our wingers today, so yeah i think he will keep his place without too much issue.

Yeah, Amad had a bit of a stinker unfortunately. Garnacho obviously should have scored, like Rashford should have done twice last weekend.

I also think we desperately need a left footed left back so Rashford is afforded more space with a genuine overlap, but not Dalot running into the corner to get the ball to pass it again backwards.

10 times better than last season, which is a great improvement. Still not good enough but I'll live with that as at least it's something to build on and my expectations are low.

Officially worried about him now. Yes he was fine today but he used to be so much more than that. At his best he was an individual terror for defences but he seems to have lost that completely. Haven’t seen create a goal for himself for a long time.

He still finds himself in at least a few scoring / assisting positions per game (Mount and Garnacho chances), that is very valuable. But other than that he was almost carried by the team.

12 months of trying to play him into form

Let's keep at it, it's bound to work eventually....

Started off poorly but grew into our main attacking outlet (when we aren't creating chances from quick transitions high up the pitch) and could have had at least 2 assists to his name if not for some poor finishing. Needs to stay alert defensively especially closer to the end though. Just about a 7/10 IMHO.

How people are laying equal blame on him for Garnacho's shocking miss is disappointing.

Yes, the best of our wingers but still a fairly average performance (the others were poor).

Consistently found space. Set up two excellent chances. Passing was crisp. Effortlessly switched between the LW and CF positions. Great first touch on several occasions to keep us in a strong attacking position. Tracked back well especially when Martinez left himself one on one with Traore. As I said, it was about a 7/10 performance.