Marcus Rashford England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I'm pretty much fed up of Rashford. We've had a couple of good months out of the last three or so seasons.

But he won't and shouldn't be dropped for the next game given he was a fair bit better than Garnacho at weekend.

I know the rashford hate is warranted but ffs United need to work on decision making and that final pass badly. This was a painfull watch.

Zero shots in our first 3 games, Teg Hag really has ruined him hasnt he

Clean Slate FC :rolleyes:

Rashford is to blame for Rashford...no one else! stop exonerating players of any blame and thinking a new manager will be the wonder cure to turn them into WC players.

I would have thought a legend like RVN returning would have given him his mojo back.

The Rashford we saw after Ronaldo left was a thing of beauty, hope it comes back.

Given the criticism, the fact he lost his place in the England squad and was sat at home this summer - I don't understand why he didn't attack the first few games of the season looking like Wayne Rooney on steroids in terms of putting himself about and really grabbing the first few games by the balls. His talent is obviously not up to Rooney's standard but physically he's a big lad, he has some pace, he could have come out of these opening three games with 0 goals, 0 assists, but with everyone impressed with how much he's giving to the cause.

Yet there's the continued lethargy. Like he feels he has nothing to prove; that there's nothing wrong with his game at all except lack of gratitude form 'doubters'

If Rashford legitimately needs Luke Shaw behind him to do well, then surely you have to realise Rashford isn’t that good? Shaw is no Paolo Maldini and you can’t tell me that every other left back at the club in the past decade has been some Sunday League level lump.

You never hear things about Ronaldo needing only Evra behind him to perform or Messi needing Dani Alves. Yes those players are much better with certain partners but Ronaldo’s performance level doesn’t fall off the cliff if John O’Shea was filling in at left back.

If Rashford legitimately needs Luke Shaw behind him to do well, then surely you have to realise Rashford isn’t that good? Shaw is no Paolo Maldini and you can’t tell me that every other left back at the club in the past decade has been some Sunday League level lump.

You never hear things about Ronaldo needing only Evra behind him to perform or Messi needing Dani Alves. Yes those players are much better with certain partners but Ronaldo’s performance level doesn’t fall off the cliff if John O’Shea was filling in at left back.

He doesn't need Shaw per se... what he needs is an overlapping full-back who can shoulder most of the build-up burden in the first 2/3 of the pitch and offer him full defensive cover when we lose the ball. He also needs a false #9/ drop deep between the lines type of forward who is comfortable operating on the left. Furthermore, he needs Bruno's long-range vision from deeper positions.

And he needs those things because he can't create chances for himself (apart from his early runs in behind and his ability on the break), and he's not very good at reading the game and predicting where the spaces are going to open up. In other words, despite his physical and technical skills (his ability to finish while running at full speed is a great skill, for example), there's very little nuance in his game. And for someone who has "scorer of goals" in his CV, this is an issue. It becomes a conundrum for any manager because he doesn't want to play centrally.

And it is a conundrum because when these "requirements" aren't met, we have "an island" on the left side. But we need his goals like a desert needs the rain. That's when you start seeing Bruno leaving the midfield and doing Bruno things. You also get poor devils, like Dalot the other day, without Shaw's abilities in the build-up, who don't know whether they should help with progressing the ball up the pitch or bomb forward, so that Rashford can tuck inside.

I will disagree (a bit) about Ronaldo. He always needed a lot of "accommodating", on a macro level (Tevez and especially Rooney worked very hard to allow him to be the main man) as well as on a micro level (i.e., Fergie moving him centrally in the second leg against Porto after he "forgot" to track back his man, and we conceded late at OT). In Madrid, he had overlapping FBs in his first years and, after that, he basically had a play-maker in Marcelo running up and down the left flank. Plus, Benzema sacrificed a lot in his game to become the player who would open up spaces in the box for him. But, and you are right on that account, Ronaldo was Ronaldo. He didn't have any issues "seeing" the spaces, and he had mastered the art of finishing to the point where he would need just a fraction of a second to create an angle for a shot/header. His numbers speak for themselves. But... as he was ageing and becoming more of a pure goalscorer from the left, tactical issues with his role on the pitch began to arise. In Turin, they remember him more as a tactical jigsaw puzzle that wouldn't allow the side to evolve. At United, although he scored more league goals than anyone since 2013 (in a single season), he didn't really help United's frontline to become a cohesive unit. Anyway, Rashford is never going to reach those numbers. That's part of the issue. So, is he worth the sacrifices?

You can say that Rashford doesn't have the luxury of playing with teammates that will "unlock" him. You can also say that he doesn't make it easy to build a functional team with him in it (because his current skill-set always demands to at least plan the team to a degree around him). Both statements can be true at the same time. For me, teams in turmoil and in search of a clear vision and playing style, could do with fewer head scratchers. But United won't do that.

You can say that Rashford doesn't have the luxury of playing with teammates that will "unlock" him. You can also say that he doesn't make it easy to build a functional team with him in it (because his current skill-set always demands to at least plan the team to a degree around him). Both statements can be true at the same time. For me, teams in turmoil and in search of a clear vision and playing style, could do with fewer head scratchers. But United won't do that.
Rashford is 27 next month. This isn't Guitar Hero. He should already be "unlocked". This mindset still that gets him off the hook that he's some promising wee talent that we just have to nurture cultivate and unlock his true potential so that in a few years he'll really be something. He should already be something. Players should be learning from him as one of the senior players at the club. 10 years as a senior player and you could drop a 16 year old kid in there tomorrow and you would not be able to tell the difference.

Salah, Saka, Son, Foden ect. all just needed to be "unlocked" first. Otherwise they'd have all been as poor footballers to Rashford for most of their careers. Really think we're on to something at last.

Last edited:
It is almost like ETH hit the reset button on Rashford.

So Rashy played like crap last season. Still ETH played him game after game, went into press meets and said Rashy is a top player who is just a bit out for form, until it became untenable and he had to drop him to the bench.
Then the season ends and based on his form last season, he doesn't get a call up to the Euros.

Then suddenly this season, ETH is once again on the lets play him game after game because he is a top player thing, instead of let him start from the bench and play himself into the team.

Rashford is 27 next month. This isn't Guitar Hero. He should already be "unlocked". This mindset still that gets him off the hook that he's some promising wee talent that we just have to nurture cultivate and unlock his true potential so that in a few years he'll really be something. He should already be something. Players should be learning from him as one of the senior players at the club. 10 years as a senior player and you could drop a 16 year old kid in there tomorrow and you would not be able to tell the difference.

Age has little to do with it. Rashford already is something, he's a wide forward with strengths and weaknesses who can thrive under (very) particular circumstances. Whether he is worth being made the main goalscorer at a club with title aspirations and put on 300 grand p/w is another matter. The club, judging by his last two contract renewals, thinks (at least, the previous shot callers did) that he is. The difficult part is that we have to live with that decision. For better or worse, we are not City.

As for the "unlocking" part, there isn't a team out there that doesn't play to the strengths of its goal-getters. Do we have another goalscorer in the team? I understand that tensions are high atm, but when Mourinho was shoving him out wide to put crosses in the box for Lukaku this place was in full rage. I already mentioned that his game lacks nuance and that he struggles to create chances for himself. His status at the club doesn't match his abilities. Now, ETH has a conundrum to deal with because Dutch football without wide players, able to get on the ball and make things happen in the final third, simply isn't Dutch football. And going into his third season, neither side of the pitch is "fixed". Trying to turn Rashford into something he is not will lead to nowhere. It didn't help Mourinho or Solskjaer (or Ralf) either. He isn't good enough to become something else (there, you have it), he lacks skills and intelligence. On this contract, he probably lacks the desire, too. So, you either try to create the environment for him to be in his "comfort zone", or you name a price and move on. But this thing that we are doing, it denies all logic, and it creates more friction in the dressing room at a time when we need to calm down and assess our options for the season.

For what it's worth, i believe the Ronaldo paradigm (a player i understand he admires) has done him more harm than good. There's a notion that you can skip your defensive duties, avoid challenges and "demand" everything to revolve around you as long as you score goals. In truth, this VIP treatment is reserved for attackers who can deliver special numbers. Rashford isn't one of those players. But here we are...

Has nothing to do with Ten Hag, he can’t create from take ons much at all anymore
It has something to do with Ten Hag when he’s picking him week after week. Surely Garnacho and Amad are better options right now? Both can create and both can score.

were you in here crediting ten hag when rashford had his most prolific season ever under him? Its such a bloody lazy interpretation of things. No mention of the same issues that have arisen under every previous manager, the inconsistency, the moods, the clubbing in belfast before training. Yep, just blame the manager. Im not turning this into a ten hag discussion, forget ten hag - at what point is rashford responsible for how absolutely awful he is. there were moments last season that he literally would not run 10 yards to make a challenge. do you forget just how lazy he was? he made an art of it. is it ten hags fault he dribbles like his laces are tied together? or that he cant make a simple pass half the time. if anything ten hag has been far too supportive and persistent with him.

He’s been found out that’s all. Physically he might has lost a small step but he’s a limited footballer and sooner or later these type of players get found out.

Son and Mane faced the same issue out wide when they lost some of their explosiveness. They were able to fine tune their game a bit and move centrally.

Till this day Rashford is still a liability up front. Not great in the air, poor hold up play, not good with his left foot and a boy seems to know how to finish by smashing the ball as hard as possible. He’s also pretty crap defensively too, both at pressing and helping his fullback.

His inability to modify his game has caught up to him.

I am normally very critical of him, but i thought he was far better than Garnacho on the day and created our best two chances. The part which was obviously lacking was whenever he had the opportunity he didn't try to take on their defenders which is a shame because TAA's defending is the weakest area and should always be exploited. I believe we should start with Amad and him on the wings and Garnacho to come off the bench against tired legs, where his physicality will not be much of a problem.

I mean yes, I’m speaking to why Rashford hasn’t gotten shots off though :lol:
Ye 100% that’s his fault. No manager can make a player decide if he wants to take people on and get shots away. It’s ashame how far he’s actually fallen.

I am normally very critical of him, but i thought he was far better than Garnacho on the day and created our best two chances. The part which was obviously lacking was whenever he had the opportunity he didn't try to take on their defenders which is a shame because TAA's defending is the weakest area and should always be exploited. I believe we should start with Amad and him on the wings and Garnacho to come off the bench against tired legs, where his physicality will not be much of a problem.
Exactly. Rashford should know this more than anyone. How many times as he had success against Trent. He’s rinsed him so many times and scored by doing so in the past.

Marcus is clearly going through it right now. He is devoid of confidence and needs a goal to settle him back into it. The crowd turned on him against Liverpool and its not something I like to see us reds do. Historically we have been a great fanbase for sticking with players through through thick and thin. I believe he will get back into form and should really be hitting his peak over the next season or two. Things can turn around so quickly for a player and he is too good and has a proven track record and will come good for us.

Once we get a settled midfield and back four then things will inevitably improve up the field. We have Hojlund to come back and we will settle into the season. Keep the head up Marcus and looking forward to many assists and goals for the reds in this season and the years to come.

Go on the fecking reds.

Not the first manager at United to try to play a player into form. It won't happen currently and the bench is the much better place right now

Marcus is clearly going through it right now. He is devoid of confidence and needs a goal to settle him back into it. The crowd turned on him against Liverpool and its not something I like to see us reds do. Historically we have been a great fanbase for sticking with players through through thick and thin. I believe he will get back into form and should really be hitting his peak over the next season or two. Things can turn around so quickly for a player and he is too good and has a proven track record and will come good for us.

Once we get a settled midfield and back four then things will inevitably improve up the field. We have Hojlund to come back and we will settle into the season. Keep the head up Marcus and looking forward to many assists and goals for the reds in this season and the years to come.

Go on the fecking reds.
Some re writing of history going on here. We haven’t always been a great fan base in absolute terms for sticking with players. Fletcher got pelters (fergie’s son etc etc) when he first broke into the team and was played wide right to provide the energy in midfield which scholes and Keane couldn’t. The crowd turned on fergie against his 4-3-3 formation and wrongly demanded 4-4-2. Success covers up the cracks/weak points in any organisation/team.

Saw the top 10 earners’ list at Utd the other day and few, if any, are outperforming their peers at other top EPL clubs. Rashford and Casimero are the two rightly now in the firing line. Both have dropped off hugely since the carbao cup final in 2023. It has been eighteen months. At an elite club like Utd, 18 months is an eternity.

ETH’s future will, in my opinion, be determined by how he deals with these two underperformers. He was ruthless with Ronaldo and De Gea and he needs to show that side with these two (as he did with casimero in the fa cup final) and make clear that the days of Player PR FC are over when it comes to Rashford.

He works for United why isn't he training there ?
Having an individual training program outside of the club is normal.

In fact, I think Bruno and a few others at United have worked with that trainer. If I remember correctly it's a guy who is on Stretford Paddock fairly often.

I mean, this shit is pointless for him and it's not actually impressive for someone of his quality. A lot of those shots a prem keeper saves, it's not really done at match pace and there's no pressure on him. I genuinely feel like the ones I've seen Kai Rooney or Ibragimov are training at a faster pace - that may be because they're smaller and the pitch their on is smaller, to be fair.

The keepers look like they didn't want to be there. I think in these type of trainings there shouldn't be a keeper to begin with. They're pointless, just put a cone in there, they only put half arsed efforts to save the shots.

So next comes the "...even Liverpool" story doesn't it? That he's inundated with offers and he's willing to listen to them?

I'm trying to think what sequence this PR stuff goes in.

We've had the self-pittying interview, we've had the pre-season sweating photos, we've had the 'he's trying to learn how to get better' thing, now we've had the training video.

I'm right, aren't I? The next step is how he's 'listening to offers', isn't it? Someone needs to write this down so we can nail the sequence.

There really isn't any way to make some of you guys happy? You complain that he doesn't work hard enough in training etc, and then when he does you complain that it's only pr?

You complained when he primarily scored goals that he didn't assist enough to our striker and now that our tactics have changed to actually try to do that and that in turn will limit Rashfords output with goals then you complain about that. He should have had 2 assists against Liverpool.

There really isn't any way to make some of you guys happy? You complain that he doesn't work hard enough in training etc, and then when he does you complain that it's only pr?

You complained when he primarily scored goals that he didn't assist enough to our striker and now that our tactics have changed to actually try to do that and that in turn will limit Rashfords output with goals then you complain about that. He should have had 2 assists against Liverpool.

Working hard in a video doesn't matter, the only time it matters is in competitive games. Plus, are you watching the same video, it's hardly intense. Not that I expect it to be, surely the intense work is under the supervision of his employers fitness staff, and this is just a bit of extra shooting practice. The issue really is that it's been recorded and released.

I'm interested when this "complained when he scored goals and didn't assist our striker enough" was happening? Because it can't be last season with Hojlund, cause he only scored 7 goals.

Could, probably should be on 3 assists in 3 games. Set up 2 sitters for Zirkzee and selflessly squared a tap in for Garnacho to miss an open net.

Also nutmegged a Brighton player for Mounts effort to be saved by the keeper.

Rashfords performances have been vilified for the sake of it. I feel sorry for people making dim conclusions from isolated stats.