Marcus Rashford England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I’ve taken him out of my fantasy football team so expect him to bag twice.

Last edited:
His form range is genuinely one of footballs great mysteries. Lethal, world class threat, or Championship level non entity. No rhyme or reason to any of it. So weird.

His whole game has been either running behind a highline or cut in onto his right foot and fire a shot or a cross into the box.

He's as 1 dimensional as they come in terms of forward players, full back just need to show him down the line and he'll run himself out of room. Drop deeper and he can't run in behind. Teams know how to handle him easily and he hasn't been able to improve himself to the point where he gives them something else to think about.

Moving centrally won't work because of the above, he's only really good as a CF when he's given space to run in behind. He can't/won't compete aerially and his positioning and anticipation in the box are lacking.

And yet teams had no idea how to handle him as recently as 22/23. Remarkable how all premier league clubs cottoned on to that lack of talent at the same time. It’s almost as if that’s total nonsense and the actual problems are (i) the team being dysfunctional and (ii) Rashford himself playing with a lack of confidence largely as a a result of (i).

And yet teams had no idea how to handle him as recently as 22/23. Remarkable how all premier league clubs cottoned on to that lack of talent at the same time. It’s almost as if that’s total nonsense and the actual problems are (i) the team being dysfunctional and (ii) Rashford himself playing with a lack of confidence largely as a a result of (i).

Yeah, he's just not that good and hasn't really improved over the last number of years. Only 3 times has he hit over 20 goals. His record is remarkably similar to Walcott, couple of decent seasons sandwiched between a lot of medicocrity, excuses and poor performances.

But lets just pretend it's not his fault he doesn't perform like a player on 350k a week should.

I don't hate him.. he has been found out..
However, the coach should be taking the blame too..
You need to get him near the goal.. 1v 1 against the defender or in a position where he can shoot
He would have 3 assists right now..
Something is not right .. we need to sort it out

Yeah, he's just not that good and hasn't really improved over the last number of years. Only 3 times has he hit over 20 goals. His record is remarkably similar to Walcott, couple of decent seasons sandwiched between a lot of medicocrity, excuses and poor performances.

But lets just pretend it's not his fault he doesn't perform like a player on 350k a week should.

He has 30+ GA three times in 5 seasons since turning 21. Walcott managed that once in his career. Also, let’s not pretend that peak Walcott wasn’t an extremely good player - not Rashford level but a top premier league team would still be able to make use of a 25 year old Walcott now.

The problems with our team, including individual performances, look to me to be pretty much entirely caused by one man. When ETH is eventually removed (or miracle of miracles he demonstrates some ability to coach a premier league football team) I’d expect teams to suddenly find that Rashford is as much a handful as before.

He has 30+ GA three times in 5 seasons since turning 21. Walcott managed that once in his career. Also, let’s not pretend that peak Walcott wasn’t an extremely good player - not Rashford level but a top premier league team would still be able to make use of a 25 year old Walcott now.

The problems with our team, including individual performances, look to me to be pretty much entirely caused by one man. When ETH is eventually removed (or miracle of miracles he demonstrates some ability to coach a premier league football team) I’d expect teams to suddenly find that Rashford is as much a handful as before.

Yeah, it's all Ten Hag's fault. He's the only person to blame....

I don't hate him.. he has been found out..
However, the coach should be taking the blame too..
You need to get him near the goal.. 1v 1 against the defender or in a position where he can shoot
He would have 3 assists right now..
Something is not right .. we need to sort it out

He should really be on a couple of goals and assists already this season. The passing to him really has been remarkably bad - I counted 5 easy passes against Brighton to put him clean through which were either messed up or just not seen and I understand there were more against Liverpool. He’s also created at least 4 incredible chances in 4 games.

Despite that, I agree he hasn’t been at his best. He’s putting a lot of work into tracking back - which I personally would prefer to see him not doing - and he needs to be getting more involved in the build up and committing defenders more. Hopefully that will come with a bit more confidence.

His form range is genuinely one of footballs great mysteries. Lethal, world class threat, or Championship level non entity. No rhyme or reason to any of it. So weird.

I'm not sure he ever been world class. Even at his most effective he was fundamentally quite a basic footballer
He wasn't dazzling us with skills. He got his head down and ran. That's not to besmirch that at all. But I do think even in his peak form, calling him 'world class' was always far too generous.

I'm not sure he ever been world class. Even at his most effective he was fundamentally quite a basic footballer
He wasn't dazzling us with skills. He got his head down and ran. That's not to besmirch that at all. But I do think even in his peak form, calling him 'world class' was always far too generous.

He’s not Messi but he’s got a fairly wide range of skills for a wide forward. His first touch seems to be severely underrated - it’s probably second only to Shaw in our squad. He has also got a very wide range of passing ability and vision, which is quite unusual in a player who is primarily a speed merchant. There’s a lot of talent there.

I tend to agree that he isn’t ASM or Doku levels of dribbling ability but he doesn’t need to be. His off the ball movement is far better than theirs and that’s why he is a consistent goal threat from the wing. I also think his decision making can at times be better but I’m not sure I’d regard it as particularly poor compared to other players of similar style. Clearly, that gets much worse when he’s lacking in confidence, as is the case for most players.

Obviously, where we can all agree he lets himself down at times is in his attitude when things are not going well. He should be a leader in this team and he’s never kicked on in that way. He too often displays negative body language on the pitch and he should be able to maintain a better level even when all around him are struggling.

Given the above, clearly he isn’t the perfect player and the last paragraph is the reason many fans struggle to back him. I do think he is working hard so far this season though and the goals/assists will come. There is no other left winger in the league who I would regard as more likely than Rashford to produce in this current United team.

I didn't mind the training videos, but this is the type of media manipulation I hate with Rashford.

His camp have given a long brief to Pete Hall - a journalist who was followed by DNMay Sports Management (Rashford's brother).

Contains lines like:

Marcus Rashford has been struggling with “bullying” from former Manchester United players and the media, according to the forward’s camp.

“When someone else misplaces a pass it does not get mentioned, but when it is Marcus it’s different,” one source said

“Very different. The criticism coming his way is an onslaught. It is bullying. Supporters believe what senior ex-players say, which only makes worse.

The club have spent £100m on central strikers and Marcus is back out wide, as a facilitator. And he is doing his job in that regard. It isn’t his fault the chances aren’t being put away.

Implying he wants to play central. A reintroduction of the classic "plays from the left > he's not playing well because he wants to play through the middle > plays through the middle > he's not playing well because he wants to play from the left" cycle. Side order of throwing teammates, new signings at that, under the bus.

There continues to be a feeling that Rashford is a victim of his own versatility. His 30-goal haul two seasons ago came as a central option, the main man, before he was moved out to different flanks once more. Some have questioned what his best position is. But is that down to the player? Or the manager(s)?

Does Erik ten Hag’s style of play bring the best out in Rashford? Has any player really excelled for long periods under the Dutchman?

These are the questions that bother those closest to Rashford.

Running out of room under the bus. Now the manager(s) whacked under there too.

The comments appear sensible and, frankly, match my own views. That said, I entirely agree that they shouldn’t be emanating from his camp at all. They aren’t going to help get the fans back onside and he shouldn’t be portrayed as some sort of victim. He needs to stand with his teammates and turn this around.

The comments appear sensible and, frankly, match my own views. That said, I entirely agree that they shouldn’t be emanating from his camp at all. They aren’t going to help get the fans back onside and he shouldn’t be portrayed as some sort of victim. He needs to stand with his teammates and turn this around.

You agree that he’s sacrificing himself for the team by playing on the left? Only when he was stinking the place up playing as a number 9, the excuse at the time was that he was sacrificing himself for the team playing central and would be much better playing on the left? Seems to me like someone is trying to have his cake and eat it.

Everyone is open to criticism, not just him. The worst performing players get the most stick, and he’s been one of the worst. Same with Casemiro. And they’re our two highest earners, so they’re going to get extra scrutiny. If you can’t handle it then go and play for Fulham where there’s less of a spotlight on you. If you want to be superstar footballer at Manchester United earning £300k a week then either perform or deal with people telling you you’re shite when you’re shite.

You agree that he’s sacrificing himself for the team by playing on the left? Only when he was stinking the place up playing as a number 9, the excuse at the time was that he was sacrificing himself for the team playing central and would be much better playing on the left? Seems to me like someone is trying to have his cake and eat it.

No, I agree that he’s been doing pretty well this season and seems to be being targeted by the media. The Shearer hatchet job on MOTD after the Brighton match was, sadly as I usually like Shearer, one of the worst bits of analysis I’ve ever seen.

I’d be interested to see any articles supporting your view that he has objected to playing CF under ETH or, indeed, that he’s ever “stunk up the place” playing there under him. LW is his best position though and the comments attributed to his team don’t suggest otherwise - just that his role has moved more to a facilitator than an outright forward this season.

I’ve taken him out of my fantasy football team so expect him to bag twice.

I'll eat my own arsehole with a spoon if this happens.

He could very well do it, which is the frustrating thing. I get he's probably a bit overrated by some, but if the upturn in effort and application which we saw after he got a shock from the fans' reaction to the Garnacho substitution carries on, if he just decides to genuinely apply himself for the next few games, he will start scoring. He has the attributes to score in this league where the number of teams leaving space behind in an attempt to press high seems to be increasing year or year, especially with a play making type of forward like Zirkzee.

I feel it's all mental with him.

No, I agree that he’s been doing pretty well this season and seems to be being targeted by the media. The Shearer hatchet job on MOTD after the Brighton match was, sadly as I usually like Shearer, one of the worst bits of analysis I’ve ever seen.

I’d be interested to see any articles supporting your view that he has objected to playing CF under ETH or, indeed, that he’s ever “stunk up the place” playing there under him. LW is his best position though and the comments attributed to his team don’t suggest otherwise - just that his role has moved more to a facilitator than an outright forward this season.

This bit is infuriating tbh.

“The club have spent £100m on central strikers and Marcus is back out wide, as a facilitator. And he is doing his job in that regard. It isn’t his fault the chances aren’t being put away.”

It not only implies he’s been moved away from his preferred position to accomodate other players it’s deliberately shitting on Hojlund and Zirkzee by referencing their transfer fees and missed chances (an obvious allusion to Josh’s missed chances vs Liverpool) They’re not stupid. They’ll get the reference and be understandably pissed off with him.

This bit is infuriating tbh.

“The club have spent £100m on central strikers and Marcus is back out wide, as a facilitator. And he is doing his job in that regard. It isn’t his fault the chances aren’t being put away.”

It not only implies he’s been moved away from his preferred position to accomodate other players it’s deliberately shitting on Hojlund and Zirkzee by referencing their transfer fees and missed chances (an obvious allusion to Josh’s missed chances vs Liverpool) They’re not stupid. They’ll get the reference and be understandably pissed off with him.

Yes, I don’t disagree with that. Noticeably it’s not directly attributed to his team though. I suspect that’s the journalist putting his own spin on it but might be wrong. Either way, it’s unhelpful and would have hoped Rashford’s team would have been smarter about controlling that sort of thing. I highly doubt he directly would have wanted that included - as you say, it does him no favours if it creates divisions with his teammates.

Must have imagined him jogging around in the press, whilst our highest earning star.

Rashford is one of the biggest names at the club. He is the PR face of the club. He is one of the highest earners at the club.

Oh the shock when he is one of the most scrutinized player at the club.

This is the Pogba discussion all over. How other players are not doing well to support Pogba. how he is always targetted unfairly by media and fans, how the manager is unable to get the best out of Pogba, etc etc

Rashford is one of the biggest names at the club. He is the PR face of the club. He is one of the highest earners at the club.

This is the Pogba discussion all over. How other players are not doing well to support Pogba. how he is always targetted unfairly by media and fans, how the manager is unable to get the best out of Pogba, etc etc
People forget his highest goal tally in the Premier League is 17. Ronaldo hit 18 EPL goals in is his first season during his second spell. Ex players and the media (correctly) hammered Ronaldo for being too selfish and holding the team back.

Terrible timing to release this just before tomorrow’s game. Why not just deliver on the pitch and ensure his critics have egg on their face?

It's sad to see him looking so much like a guy who won a competition to play with United... Actually, more like a guy who lost a competition and is forced to play with United as he always looks like he's there against his own will.

But it is sad. He was a good player at one point, I was never fully convinced but he certainly had some good periods and it's unfortunate to see someone who should be in their prime looking completely finished.

It happened with Delle Ali, Jack Wilshere and a few others too. I can't see him turning this around. Reckon he'll slowly go the same way and eventually his contract will just run out.

I do also think it doesn't help that he's still selected every week though. What message does this send?

His 30 goal season didn't come as a striker? Was Weghorst wasn't it?

‘I always thought his best position is when he comes from the left to the centre, not when he’s a clear number nine,’ Mourinho said on Sky Sports.
‘I always thought it was better for him to come from the side, especially the left side.’

Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane agreed that Rashford is not suited to play as a central striker: ‘The hardest position to play at Old Trafford is up through the middle,’ said the Irishman. ‘Playing with his back to goal is not one of his strengths.’

Quotes from back in 2019, still ring true today. Eth isn't Harry Potter !!

I didn't mind the training videos, but this is the type of media manipulation I hate with Rashford.

His camp have given a long brief to Pete Hall - a journalist who was followed by DNMay Sports Management (Rashford's brother).

Contains lines like:

Implying he wants to play central. A reintroduction of the classic "plays from the left > he's not playing well because he wants to play through the middle > plays through the middle > he's not playing well because he wants to play from the left" cycle. Side order of throwing teammates, new signings at that, under the bus.

Running out of room under the bus. Now the manager(s) whacked under there too.

Ffs, he doesn't help himself does he! :rolleyes:

I can see him coming good on the weekend and bagging a brace!
It's pathetic if we still care about an odd good performance from Rashford. The only "comeback" from him will be him becoming consistently good. Otherwise he needs to go, sooner the better

Discontent with the highest paid player at the club being consistently the worst performer for the best part of two years, is indeed bullying.

The cycle continues. Who had 'planted, woe is me, story written by client journalist' in the sweepstake? I had 'Marcus has had loads of offers' story. I feel disappointed. But maybe that's next?

Never any accountability from Marcus. The Puff pieces are so predictable and so painfully obvious. Imagine how he'd take it if he truly was scrutinised by the media instead of constant "we need to find his happiness" type of blame shifting he gets.

wow what bullshit from his camp. Every single time he has been forced to play centrally he sulks about like a little toddler being put in time out. Now he wants to claim he is struggling because he is out wide? What a joke.

Your comments were far from sensible.

Stating that "His off the ball movement is far better than theirs and that’s why he is a consistent goal threat from the wing. I also think his decision making can at times be better but I’m not sure I’d regard it as particularly poor compared to other players of similar style"

Wants to be the top earner but doesn’t want scrutiny. Get lost bro.

Pogba never had an army of media spin behind him. and was thrice the player.

This reminds me when he invented criticism of his tattoos and moaned about that in that interview.

It was so bizarre. He might as well have railed against criticism of his military tactics in the Battle of Allatoona