Marcus Rashford England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
His confidence does look shot… but physically he is no longer the same player he used to be. That famous burst of acceleration has gone and without that he is extremely average as a footballer

Rashford is a real worry at the minute. Quick stat attack: over the two opening fixtures he has failed to register a shot, he's given possession away 23 times, and he's failed in 87% of his attempted dribbles.

He looks about a million miles away from scoring, and there were times yesterday where it was just bizarre for him to be caught offside. He's usually quick enough that he can give defenders 3 or 4 yards. The Rashford of two years ago would have feasted on Brighton's high line, but he has no teeth at the moment.

Even early on last season at home to Brighton, he was at least getting shots away and being a threat. But he's staying too wide and seems to struggle to impact a game when he's tasked with any defensive work (something he does seem to be doing more of, in fairness).

We need him scoring goals because he's the only guy in the squad who has form for hitting 30, but the (very) early signs suggest that we aren't getting that Rashford this season. He doesn't seem to work well with Dalot, and it was just plain weird that when Zirkzee came on the Dutchman went out to the left - he's the sort of central attacker Rashford historically bounces off well when he cuts inside.

I think he'll start against Liverpool, but if he doesn't do something there he's gonna be dropped altogether. And he couldn't really have any complaints.

Yesterday, he was caught offside a grand total of twice. One of them looks clearly onside to me and the other one was by a fraction for his goal. He also broke the offside trap on several occasions only for his teammates to fail to find him.

What site are you using for those stats out of interest?

Should not be automatic starter for us. Garnacho and Amad should be first choice. They are already at his level and work harder than him. And scope for improvement is more in them considering their age.

If you watch him, he's still making runs but not getting the ball. Obviously, his confidence is low, but I think in part his shortcomings reflect those of the team as a whole, as we're not connecting well enough often enough, particularly in the last third. And he always looks better with Shaw on the same flank - they have an understanding.

Every time I see Rashford on the pitch he looks fed up. Looks like he's going through the motions.
Agreed

If you watch him, he's still making runs but not getting the ball. Obviously, his confidence is low, but I think in part his shortcomings reflect those of the team as a whole, as we're not connecting well enough often enough, particularly in the last third. And he always looks better with Shaw on the same flank - they have an understanding.
Definitely examples of that at times yes.

Ok, just checked the “possession lost” stat @didz quoted above:

Rashford - once every 6.78 minutes
Amad - once every 6.25 minutes
Bruno - once every 5.15 minutes
Garnacho - once every 3.6 minutes

I’m unsure if these stats are average or bad but it seems very bizarre that someone is quoting them on the Rashford thread, without giving context to the rest of our team.

Edit - just checked Salah as well - once every 6.42 minutes so far this season.

Have to say he’s starting to irritate me a bit now.

If he doesn’t deliver this season I’ve no doubt that we will get rid. Whatever the cost.

Really fed up with him. Been here so long without excelling, he's become a token of our failed era.

First and foremost, he worked his socks off, which was the biggest issue, or so they said, for people with him last season. Unfortunately, his game is just not coming together, and I don't know what it is. It's kind of sad to see actually because before, even when he wasn't scoring, he'd give you that relentless running both on and off the ball. Now, he seems to get the ball and pass. Don't get me wrong,he's still making those runs in behind, but very few players haven't the ability to find that pass, but his overall game is lacking big time.

The unfortunate fact is, not one out of our current attacking players have the ability, in my opinion, to replicate what Rashford did a couple seasons back. As it is, I said in a Rashford thread a while back, that if he's not scoring at a good rate, then we look pretty toothless, and basically, that has continued since he's stopped scoring. No one has stepped up and I don't think anyone will.

Going forward, we really need to find a wide forward in the mould of Salah, Son, etc, to try and match what Rashford gave us, because he's struggling big time at the moment.

Everyone is calling for Garnacho, but let's be totally honest, he was just as bad yesterday. Stumbling into players, over running the ball, not tracking back (won't be mentioned unless you're Rashford), etc.

In Rashford, we used to have our own Salah, Haaland, Son, Saka, etc. Hojlund might be our best hope of replicating that, but we really need a top class forward who can single handedly win games for us in the blink of an eye.

It's not a confidence thing. Physically he looks broken. The back and ankle issues seem to have caught up with him and looks like he's done at this level.

Sell him to Saudi on the cheap and let him retire there.

The funniest (and saddest) momjetnwas when he surprisingly beat a defender down the line only to slow it down and pass it sidewards.

I don’t think he is done physically. I feel like most of his problems are in his head. A lot of gossip in the past year in the likes of UWS and Rednews (who both have great sources) is that the people around Rashford are not helping him at the moment, as such he is stuck in this funk and he looks angry anytime I see him. I contrast that with Amad, who looks hungry for success and can play his way into a game when it’s not initially happening for him. Of course Amad is at a different point of his career but I do wonder if players are fried mentally whether it isn’t just best to move them on.

First and foremost, he worked his socks off, which was the biggest issue, or so they said, for people with him last season. Unfortunately, his game is just not coming together, and I don't know what it is. It's kind of sad to see actually because before, even when he wasn't scoring, he'd give you that relentless running both on and off the ball. Now, he seems to get the ball and pass. Don't get me wrong,he's still making those runs in behind, but very few players haven't the ability to find that pass, but his overall game is lacking big time.

The unfortunate fact is, not one out of our current attacking players have the ability, in my opinion, to replicate what Rashford did a couple seasons back. As it is, I said in a Rashford thread a while back, that if he's not scoring at a good rate, then we look pretty toothless, and basically, that has continued since he's stopped scoring. No one has stepped up and I don't think anyone will.

Going forward, we really need to find a wide forward in the mould of Salah, Son, etc, to try and match what Rashford gave us, because he's struggling big time at the moment.

Everyone is calling for Garnacho, but let's be totally honest, he was just as bad yesterday. Stumbling into players, over running the ball, not tracking back (won't be mentioned unless you're Rashford), etc.

In Rashford, we used to have our own Salah, Haaland, Son, Saka, etc. Hojlund might be our best hope of replicating that, but we really need a top class forward who can single handedly win games for us in the blink of an eye.
He averaged less pressures than anyone in the forward line yesterday, including Zirkzee, who came on as a sub. His defensive instincts are poor even when paired with Dalot who has been imperious on that side. It’s just not happening for him and he looks out of place on both ends in the current system. To be honest, he’s looked lost in any system that isn’t built on soaking up pressure and hitting on the counter.

Ok, just checked the “possession lost” stat @didz quoted above:

Rashford - once every 6.78 minutes
Amad - once every 6.25 minutes
Bruno - once every 5.15 minutes
Garnacho - once every 3.6 minutes

I’m unsure if these stats are average or bad but it seems very bizarre that someone is quoting them on the Rashford thread, without giving context to the rest of our team.

Edit - just checked Salah as well - once every 6.42 minutes so far this season.
Like I said, he can give the ball away or run into traffic as often as he likes so long as he provides a threat. The issue is he isn't doing that. If he gave the ball away 23 times and 13 of those times were shots that didn't end in goals I'd actually be pretty confident in him turning it around this season.

Stats were pulled from sofascore.

Like I said, he can give the ball away or run into traffic as often as he likes so long as he provides a threat. The issue is he isn't doing that. If he gave the ball away 23 times and 13 of those times were shots that didn't end in goals I'd actually be pretty confident in him turning it around this season.

Stats were pulled from sofascore.

But he is providing a threat. He was offside by a fraction for one goal and I counted at least 5 other occasions we should have played him through one on one.

I will agree that he looks a bit short on confidence. There was an occasion when he glided past the fullback and could have bombed down the wing. Instead he turned back inside and recycled possession. Possibly that’s what he’s been instructed to do but I’d definitely prefer him to be getting us up the pitch as fast as possible in that scenario.

Serious question - would you rather have Dan James sprinting up that left wing?

I remember the Liverpool game at OT when his pace and dribbling was giving TAA real problems. Next weekend I'm fully expecting TAA to pocket him, he's fallen off that much.

I've said it in a few threads now but that double stress fracture in his back and our poor injury management of his first stress fracture is what's caused this. He's lost his searing pace completely, which was his main weapon and I expect he'll only decline further. He used to be able to time his runs on the shoulder of the defender better as he had the pace to meet the pass, now he's lost that, he's having to set off sooner and just cannot time his runs properly.

He will never back himself 1v1 with a defender who threatens to cut off his path, as he always shirks away from challenges, he's become very easy to defend against.
I'm sorry but this is nonsense. He just doesn't even get into an onside position to begin with at points and there's nothing to stop you looking along the line, he just refuses to do it. He still gets on to a load of balls over the top, just has terrible decision making. He is still extremely quick.

Maybe the 1v1 point he has less confidence, but that doesn't really explain enough away. The real issue with him is decision making and at times, technique. Both are completely erratic and you never know what you're going to get. That shouldn't be happening at this stage in his career.

The kneejerking in here is really something.. Sure he didn't light perform amazing but the got himself into positions where he should have been passed a number of times but didn't get the ball.. The clearest one when Amad missed an easy pass when we were 3 vs 2 and in the next phase Brighton scored 1-0.. Where is the outrage of that pass from Amad?

And the thing is that Rashford atleast tracked back which Garnacho barely did but people tend to overrate Garnacho just because he runs towards the fullback.. Problem is yesterday Garnacho barely got past the fullback but instead lost the ball.

Not sure if you were around 2 seasons ago but he looked pretty good then. Unless you think he just fluked 30+ goals in
Was good in a concentrated spell, not over the whole season. One season doesn’t equal a top player, sorry.

Good scorpion kick goal by Rashford but unfortunately it was not allowed.

The kneejerking in here is really something.. Sure he didn't light perform amazing but the got himself into positions where he should have been passed a number of times but didn't get the ball.. The clearest one when Amad missed an easy pass when we were 3 vs 2 and in the next phase Brighton scored 1-0.. Where is the outrage of that pass from Amad?

And the thing is that Rashford atleast tracked back which Garnacho barely did but people tend to overrate Garnacho just because he runs towards the fullback.. Problem is yesterday Garnacho barely got past the fullback but instead lost the ball.
Overrate garnacho, just because he scares the crap out of the opposition, creates goals, scores goals.

Other than that, yeah.

He averaged less pressures than anyone in the forward line yesterday, including Zirkzee, who came on as a sub. His defensive instincts are poor even when paired with Dalot who has been imperious on that side. It’s just not happening for him and he looks out of place on both ends in the current system. To be honest, he’s looked lost in any system that isn’t built on soaking up pressure and hitting on the counter.

I wasn't aware of the stats, I just used my eyes to come to the conclusion that he worked hard, but it seems stats have taken over the game. That being said, Ally McCoist said the same thing when Rashford came off yesterday and he's a neutral.

I wasn't aware of the stats, I just used my eyes to come to the conclusion that he worked hard, but it seems stats have taken over the game. That being said, Ally McCoist said the same thing when Rashford came off yesterday and he's a neutral.

His role clearly isn’t to press as much as Mount etc, so it’s pointless comparing them. You can see him dropping into a clearly instructed position in the defensive shape and he’s also doing more defensive sprints to help the fullback than the other players as well.

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. He just doesn't even get into an onside position to begin with at points and there's nothing to stop you looking along the line, he just refuses to do it. He still gets on to a load of balls over the top, just has terrible decision making. He is still extremely quick.

Maybe the 1v1 point he has less confidence, but that doesn't really explain enough away. The real issue with him is decision making and at times, technique. Both are completely erratic and you never know what you're going to get. That shouldn't be happening at this stage in his career.
Then you might want to watch the goal against Liverpool I was referring to. He often broke the offside trap well as he could make up the extra yards on defenders.

His issue is he's lost his pace, his main asset and he doesn't know how to change his game to accommodate losing it.

Should focus on politics :lol:

No seriously, if his heart isn't in competitive football just move to a club where he can enjoy the game and do the things he enjoys

He's one of ours and I hate to say it but he should move on. Move to a nice city in a less demanding league and enjoy his football again.

Then you might want to watch the goal against Liverpool I was referring to. He often broke the offside trap well as he could make up the extra yards on defenders.

His issue is he's lost his pace, his main asset and he doesn't know how to change his game to accommodate losing it.

Nailed on truth. His drop in pace has adversely affected his game, which was built all around pace. Rashford has never developed aspects of a forward’s game, such as a left foot, dribbling, heading, or 1-2 play. His decline is evident and to honest, not reversible.

The reason he's not being dropped is because the club desperately wants him to get back to that form of a few seasons ago because, as our most senior attacking player, if he doesn't get 20-30 goals this season then I'm not sure who else does. Hojlund, Garnacho, and Amad are still developing potential at this point who have a lot of inconsistency to their games and Sancho and Antony are, well, not very good. It's a risky strategy from the club especially when our goal scoring has been terrible (for a club of United's standing) for three seasons now but it is what it is.

I'm not one of these "he's one of our own" romantics or fan boys who give a free pass to players they can't see beyond being wonderful so it'll hardly be surprising to read that I haven't been able to stand seeing him on the pitch for over a year now.

He's become the home grown version of Martial but unlike him we've got the millstone of 4 years left on his contract at 350k a week.

Whether it's pure coincidence or not, the optics of him having a "wonder" season before signing that contract and then performing and acting like he has over the last year or so are terrible.

Anybody who wants to call me out for having an agenda against him or any others, don't bother. I have no agendas against any of our players, I just call out what I see on the pitch and for quite a few of our current squad list, it ain't pretty.

Seems totally shredded of confidence. A clean break would have been best for all parties this summer. As it is, he should be left out of the side at this point and Amad/Garnacho given a run in my view.
Something is majorly up with him. Rashford from just a few years back would chase and harass for 90 minutes. These days he just languidly jogs around the pitch not looking bothered.

The more you see and the more you think about it, this all looks like a simple story...

A youth ream product - even, more a local boy - gets catapulted into the first team and scores twice on his debut, becoming our youngest scorer in a European game since Best (I think). He plays again in the next league game. And again scores twice. More goals follow, he gets into the England squad - and scores in his first game - more records get broken, and we love it. All the more as he seems a genuinely nice lad, a role model, someone we're invested in, someone we so want to be a star. All the more as we'e now several years on from SAF retiring and, well, we've struggled. We need a star (to be) to wish upon.

Fast-forward to where we are now and it's become obvious that hope and hype - with some bad luck on injuries, some poor choices and some poor attitudes - have given way to reality. He isn't a bad player in many ways, but losing pace has highlighted his limitations in footballing IQ, his technical weaknesses and his inability to learn and develop. His International career is probably already over, and without a dramatic upturn in form, that shows no sign of emerging, he's on the slow slide to being a bench option. At best.

What we now do about this is where it gets hard and where handing him that contract is just another example of executive failure.

We need to find a way to sell him and he needs to move.

There’s no way to sell Rashford and thus there’s nowhere he can move to.

It is what is, but unless there is truth to the alleged “must pay” clause — which is hard to I doubt — nothing prevents this or the next manager from using him as a squad man.

Should have moved him on at the start of the window, his value diminishes with every outing. At the start of July 60m would have been about right but now, it's too late.

This is just a lazy stereotype though. You can watch his 22/23 season:

Absolutely tonnes of them are nothing to do with blistering pace, a lot are actually to do with him in the air and generally just decision making and technique.

People are making out as it he's adama traore, he's got far more to his game that blistering pace.