Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
We might have been the best time in the 1st half, but West Ham was superior in the second half - so we were not quite unlucky in my opinion.

Well it was never a pen but it's by the by. The point is you would have to admit that yesterday wasn't as much of an egregious humiliation as we've already seen this season.

If they didn't sack him then, I just don't see them sacking him now sadly.

Quarter of the way through the season and we’re 14th I mean not even taking into account last seasons 8th finish and the fact he was very close to being fired in the summer he should be sacked for these 9 games alone

We’ve also spent a ton of money again and surprise surprise he cannot get these players going.

He won’t be sacked today. It just won’t happen. It will happen but after Chelsea game. It doesn’t make any sense to get a new manager in to lose to Chelsea if he did we’d instantly say it’s the players.

He won’t be sacked today. It just won’t happen. It will happen but after Chelsea game. It doesn’t make any sense to get a new manager in to lose to Chelsea if he did we’d instantly say it’s the players.
Actually I think they are going to wait until we are in the relegation zone. Why make anything easy for the incoming manager?

Aye, its all too quiet for my liking :(

Surely someone out of berrarda, ashworth, brailsford, ratcliffle is brave enough to pull the trigger now??
I remember how media made a big issue about decision making before INEOS. How Woodward must wait on Joel to sign something.

Now, we have 5 or 6 people as braintrust.
Wilcox goes to Ashworth. Then Ashford goes to Berrada. Berrada goes to Brailsford. Brailsford then goes to Blanc (?). Then Blanc goes to Ratcliff. Then Ratcliff goes to Glazers.

You'd think he would change formation or try something new. Need to switch to a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3(5-3-2) as this isn't working. That's my main concern with him.

Not completely. De Ligt and Maz have been some of our best players this season.
Maybe Maz will be an improvement to our first XI if Shaw is ever fit. Otherwise we didn't improve it in the summer for me.

He has to be one of the worst in game managers I've ever seen.

If the opposition ever change their approach within a game we're often totally fecked... Well more fecked then we normally are
I don’t watch modern day Eredivisie anywhere near enough to know, but I seriously wonder what the tactical level is there as to why so many come from that league and are baffled by the concept of tactical amendments and adjustments.

The league has made a mockery of ten Hag’s tactical acumen, like absolutely humiliated him and I wonder how much of that is down to him being poor as opposed to this being the first time he’s ever experienced “footballing chess” if you will as opposed to draughts/checkers. His Ajax sides in Europe either steamrolled when everything was working or folded naively; by extension we’re taking all of those traits to the negative whilst he can’t run roughshod over anyone in this league, which is highlighting all of his flaws and shortcomings and at the same time showcasing no redeeming qualities to his football.

Slot will tell us more as the season wears on and the Klopp residuals fade, but right now we have such a strange contrast.
The window of opportunity to salvage the season is still open but it will be closing soon. Six points to top 5 and CL and five to EL after nine games is manageable, but 12 points after 18 games won’t be. Obviously the latter scenario would involve ten Hag, the former would not.
The problem is that the margins are becoming so fine, you’ll need league winning form to get us into the CL. That’s on these owners more than the incompetent manager they’re letting tank the season.

Gross incompetence from INEOS Ashworth and Barrada.

Forget ETH he should have been gone before the fa cup final.

All attentions should firmly be on the powers that be.

I asked myself, if ETH is not replaced because INOES are still figuring out, which style/ idea of football Manchester United should play.

I feel like the fact that you have to list all these people shows the problem... who really can pull the trigger?

It’s Berrada and Ashworth in all honesty, probably as a collective decision.

The likes of Jim and Brailsworth can intervene but it’s quite clear that they don’t want to have to, and not should they have to.

Bottom line for me is - if we replace him, will this team look better under a new manager/different tactics?

I think the answer is clearly yes as the squad, on paper, is not a bad one.

Get him out ASAP. I was ETH in after the cup final as I thought he was hampered by injuries last year but I think it's delusional to think he's going to turn it around now.

What annoys me is when people treat this as if it’s his first season. I’ve seen pundits (granted, not many) saying give him till Christmas because we backed him in the summer and it makes zero sense.

there are a few reasons for which I'm not still "ETH out" yet. First and foremost I'm not still sure what the problem with this team is. Last season the massive void in the middle of the park was the problem? But this season? I see little evidence that tactically he is doing something massively wrong. I don't think the players aim for the bar when they shoot. With a little bit of luck we could have scored 3-4 goals that would give 6-8 more points. I see players fighting for him, maybe these players are not good enough (and yes i know he got most of them). Also I'm looking at the managers market and i dread the likes of Southgate, Potter, Xavi as i think they are worse.

Basically what im saying is simple: i wouldn't sack him because i don't know what the problem is and what is the fix.

When he came to United.. With his "eras end" narrative.. Was he actually talking about "Manchester United in the Premier league" era....?

there are a few reasons for which I'm not still "ETH out" yet. First and foremost I'm not still sure what the problem with this team is. Last season the massive void in the middle of the park was the problem? But this season? I see little evidence that tactically he is doing something massively wrong. I don't think the players aim for the bar when they shoot. With a little bit of luck we could have scored 3-4 goals that would give 6-8 more points. I see players fighting for him, maybe these players are not good enough (and yes i know he got most of them). Also I'm looking at the managers market and i dread the likes of Southgate, Potter, Xavi as i think they are worse.

Basically what im saying is simple: i wouldn't sack him because i don't know what the problem is and what is the fix.
I was ETH in until about 3 games into this season. Without getiting to deep into the tactics, look at who is constantly on the end of our chances, Garnacho and fecking Dalot which is not a mistake. Our best finishers are probably Rashford, Bruno and maybe Hojlund? We should be setting up to get them three on the end of things, Garnacho is a 1 in 10 shots player and Dalot is a never in a million.

Not to mention the subs.

The problem is that the margins are becoming so fine, you’ll need league winning form to get us into the CL. That’s on these owners more than the incompetent manager they’re letting tank the season.
Villa are seven points ahead and ended on 68 points last season. If they were to repeat that you’d need 59 points from 29 games. That equals two points per game, not quite league winning form, actually over a full season that’s only one point more than United got in 2022/23. And Villa have CL games in between EPL match weeks now so who knows how they’ll cope come January.

It looks a distant dream now with Ten Hag, and obviously other teams like Spurs come into the equation above. But the season is certainly still quite open after 9 games. The window of opportunity is rapidly closing though.

We are in never ending cycle. Defeat away raises sacking talk. Then he wins "easy" home game and draws "tough" one away. Then defeat comes again. Rinse and repeat.

Villa are seven points ahead and ended on 68 points last season. If they were to repeat that you’d need 59 points from 29 games. That equals two points per game, not quite league winning form, actually only one point more than United got in 2022/23. And Villa have CL games in between EPL match weeks now so who knows how they’ll cope come January.

It looks a distant dream now with Ten Hag, and obviously other teams like Spurs come into the equation above. But the season is certainly still quite open after 9 games. The window of opportunity is rapidly closing though.
There is no way with the way we are currently set up that we score enough goals to get two points per game. No chance.

Villa are seven points ahead and ended on 68 points last season. If they were to repeat that you’d need 59 points from 29 games. That equals two points per game, not quite league winning form, actually over a full season that’s only one point more than United got in 2022/23. And Villa have CL games in between EPL match weeks now so who knows how they’ll cope come January.

There is that then the fact that far less top teams will be dropping down to the Europa League this season meaning we should have a genuinely great chance at winning it if we got back on track.

You also need to factor in the sliding scale; we’re getting worse and worse, translated to more and more points lost and the point differential widening. To make up that ground and usurp what’s there, we’d have to do relatively incredibly.

It’s pretty clear he’s not going anywhere today.

Yeh, its pretty amazing that we are 14th and pretty much all of us expect him to still continue.

Best in class alright.

I think that's a very valid opinion to have.

Regarding the luck: Looking at the xG table United is indeed unlucky to have missed so many chances, Understat even has them at 7-8 expected goals more, not just 3-4. However United's defence was about as lucky as the attack was unlucky, should have conceded 6-7 goals more. So bad finishing on both ends means the only unlucky guys are not United, but neutral fans who just don't get to see goals in United's matches.

I also get your point about the potential replacements, but after all it is a question of being in the right place at the right time. EtH might be a better manager, but I don't think by now it helps him anymore. The team is running into a wall for him, but it needs someone who guides them arount that wall, no matter who and how, to use a stupid metaphor.

Agree, but for how long? The challenge for the next manager (and any manager), is to bring consistency to the performances of this bunch of players. ETH clearly can't do it, but I'm also not convinced the group has a winning mentality collectively.
And the longer that a losing or toxic mentality is allowed to fester in a group of people (whether football players or at any other random workplace) the harder it is to turn it around. While some players are naturally stronger or weaker in that regard than others, over time people will rise or fall based on what surrounds them. And the person who has by far the biggest impact on that mentality is the person in charge.

Just think about a couple of years ago when we first bought in Martinez and Casemiro, while also having Varane as well. They really helped lift the mentality of the squad, and we saw the likes of Dalot lift as well. But despite bringing in the likes of De Ligt (well known to be a real leader with a good mentality), Onana and Hojlund (other players who seem to have a good mentality), it's all gone downhill again. Including those players who originally lifted us in the first place as the confidence and belief has just drained completely out of the squad.

It's why it was such a bad idea to keep ETH as long as we have, as the longer this malaise continues the more long-term damage it does and the harder it will be for the next manager to develop a winning mentality in the squad.

I'll never understand this period, which happens with every manager eventually, when he's clearly done but still on the sidelines awaiting the axe.

There is no world where he is manager in January even, and we're losing every week, so there just isn't a downside to getting rid.

We even have a caretaker ready to go while the proper manager is signed.

Is there anything worse than this position we've been in a few times where we have to want our team to lose for the greater good?

On course to finish below 8th this year. Can’t believe nothing got done in the summer. I’m sorry but being Manchester United surely we can afford to get whatever manager we wanted even if they was in a club. Ratcliffe told us all a lie when he said he wanted best in class in every position.

Jim cost-cutting Ratcliffe couldn't even afford to send two players to the Ballon d'Or nominees, let alone pay 20m to sack his summer mistake.
He is a multi-billionaire, usually find multi billionaires are right tight wads where their employees are concerned. That is why they are multi-billionaires. Didn't want to pay to compensation for Ashworth, same will be happening with ETH. They want him to quit, even if it leaves the team in a perilous position. It is a war of attrition.

I'm convinced that INEOS are working in the background to get his replacement in.
Rumours are that they are, Xavi, Inzaghi and a few others have apparently been spoken to. Xavi's wife posted this, this morning. Read absolutely nothing into it but we all need something positive today.

xavis-wife-insta-story-its-still-up-v0-1m3c4nh6wcxd1.jpeg

I'll never understand this period, which happens with every manager eventually, when he's clearly done but still on the sidelines awaiting the axe.

There is no world where he is manager in January even, and we're losing every week, so there just isn't a downside to getting rid.

We even have a caretaker ready to go while the proper manager is signed.

Is there anything worse than this position we've been in a few times where we have to want our team to lose for the greater good?
The fact that he's still here now means he could easily still be here in January.