Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact we and everyone else now is suggesting our league position represents the quality of the squad show how far he’s dragged us down. The squad is much, much better but set up poorly and negatively. We don’t try to win from drawing. We start poorly week after week and he can’t react to been out classed tactically. For a tactic wizard he’s fecking atrocious at implementing it. The sooner he fecks off the better and we, as fans, need to start being more vocal at games, training ground etc to get him out.

Oh you meant that... well yeah, I 100% agree with you. That's kinda what I meant in my original post as well.

But anyways, I'm actually sick off talking about ETH and his ineptitude, until we let him go I think my apathy towards the team won't go away sadly, I couldn't even celebrate like I used to yesterday (when Casemiro scored), becuase I genuinely didn't feel much and also didn't expect to win (yet again). Becuase I just know that we don't have the game management from ETH to make it happen or the mentality from the players (which I suspect comes a little from ETH but also some of the players).
Yes agree. I watch then at a certain point think why did I bother, it’s the same old have a decent period or half, then go to shit, or vice versa

On course to finish below 8th this year. Can’t believe nothing got done in the summer. I’m sorry but being Manchester United surely we can afford to get whatever manager we wanted even if they was in a club. Ratcliffe told us all a lie when he said he wanted best in class in every position.
Amazingly a lot of fans thought we would end up in top 4. We are heading to 9-12th this season.

Rumours are that they are, Xavi, Inzaghi and a few others have apparently been spoken to. Xavi's wife posted this, this morning. Read absolutely nothing into it but we all need something positive today.

xavis-wife-insta-story-its-still-up-v0-1m3c4nh6wcxd1.jpeg
That is interesting, although Xavi has always seemed to be a bit of a Utd fan (he's spoken very highly of us and our players in the past, and also said that if he'd ever left Barca in his playing days he would have wanted to join us). Maybe he's just passed that on to his kid, although the timing is strange.

I'd absolutely take Xavi as an interim until the end of the season, but I'd be a bit cautious about more than that.

That is interesting, although Xavi has always seemed to be a bit of a Utd fan (he's spoken very highly of us and our players in the past, and also said that if he'd ever left Barca in his playing days he would have wanted to join us). Maybe he's just passed that on to his kid.

I'd absolutely take Xavi as an interim until the end of the season, but I'd be a bit cautious about more than that.

Would Xavi take an interim job? I very much doubt it personally.

Can't we put him on garden leave???? Tell him that he will be paid but he will be responsible for the reserve, U-23 and U-18. Tell him that it is very important that our youth can play good football and our club future lies in his hand. Appoint Ruud as care taker manager until we can ready to sack. If a player can be banish to play with the reserve, we should be able to banish our manager to reserve due to his poor performance. Maybe ETH feeling humiliated will pack him bags and leave United without compensation. Cook up a story say his mental health is bad so he needs a break from the XI.

4 losses/9 games in, the penny is starting to drop and the percentage of folks who want him to stay has slowly crept downwards to 14.1%.

I genuinely wonder if those folks who still back him are still on this site, or if they truly believe in their vote, or if they've seen the light and are just too stubborn to admit it.
Probably fans of other clubs who have joined especially to take the piss.

And the longer that a losing or toxic mentality is allowed to fester in a group of people (whether football players or at any other random workplace) the harder it is to turn it around. While some players are naturally stronger or weaker in that regard than others, over time people will rise or fall based on what surrounds them. And the person who has by far the biggest impact on that mentality is the person in charge.

Just think about a couple of years ago when we first bought in Martinez and Casemiro, while also having Varane as well. They really helped lift the mentality of the squad, and we saw the likes of Dalot lift as well. But despite bringing in the likes of De Ligt (well known to be a real leader with a good mentality), Onana and Hojlund (other players who seem to have a good mentality), it's all gone downhill again. Including those players who originally lifted us in the first place as the confidence and belief has just drained completely out of the squad.

It's why it was such a bad idea to keep ETH as long as we have, as the longer this malaise continues the more long-term damage it does and the harder it will be for the next manager to develop a winning mentality in the squad.
Good post.

Don’t get why our managers always need 20 of their own players to play a style and identity. Managers go into teams all the time and you can see what they want to do after a few games. Barca pulled the plug on xavi and now Hansi Flick as them beating Madrid and Bayern by 4 goals. Yet a draw to Fenerbache and Porto was good results according to our manager.

1 win in last 8 matches
1 win in last 11 matches in Europa
Negative goaldifference in the last 15 matches in Europe
Negative goaldifference in the last 61 matches in the league
Winpercentage of 30% this season.

I just can't seem to fathom how much worse this have to become before the powers figure something needs to give.

Yet another?
We had the chance for a fresh start under them with their own manager. They stuck and costing us a season. Last season mid way through when we was getting smashed of teams he should have been sacked and we could have pushed further up the field but nothing happened.

1 win in last 8 matches
1 win in last 11 matches in Europa
Negative goaldifference in the last 15 matches in Europe
Negative goaldifference in the last 61 matches in the league
Winpercentage of 30% this season.

I just can't seem to fathom how much worse this have to become before the powers figure something needs to give.
It has to be a money thing.

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/foot...han-a-once-mighty-club-acting-small-5tvltvtm2

Man United are a shrinking leviathan – a once mighty club acting small​

And on it goes, the shrinking of the leviathan that was Manchester United: now 21st in Europe’s second tier, 14th in England’s first, and not even a noisy neighbour when it comes to impact on the global stage. Whoever let it slip that United tried to hitch a ride on City’s Ballon d’Or charabanc knows how to kick a club when it’s down.

Almost as bad as another unproductive trip to the capital — only two Premier League wins in their past 18 visits — is the image of United asking City to help them cut costs on a night out in Paris. This is mighty Manchester United, acting small, appearing provincial. This is no longer just about the matches United cannot win — although that’s the root of the problem — but the corners it cuts, the labour it sheds, and the way it presents on the biggest stage.

Just last week, Erik ten Hag, the manager, was talking about his players’ resilience having earned away draws at Porto and Fenerbahce, rather overlooking the fact his team led both matches. And against Twente in the Europa League and Manchester City in the Community Shield too. These are all matches United did not win.
United’s only victories this season have come at home to Fulham and Brentford, away to bottom club Southampton and over League One Barnsley in the Carabao Cup. The swagger is gone, the intimidatory factor absent. This is not the form of a big club. United have taken one point in 12 from matches against clubs in the top eight this season. It is hard to see the upper echelons as their constituency these days.

Missed first-half chances. An absence of confidence and direction in the second-half once West Ham switched and showed some fight. Poor signings, weak attitudes. And smallness. This United look small.

The manager is dying by a thousand cuts as word spreads of a fresh round of discussions going on with the representatives of possible replacements behind his back; the latest recruitment drive appears to have thrown good money after bad. And Sir Jim Ratcliffe came in as a man of action, ducked the call that could have had an impact on this season and instead embarked on a cull of the minions.

Having failed to qualify for this season’s Champions League, another absence in 2025-26 — and a look at the league tables does not bring cause for optimism — would activate a £10million penalty clause in Manchester United’s deal with Adidas. In addition, loss of Champions League revenue can total in the region of £50million. It would also be the first time in Premier League history that United go two years without reaching Europe’s biggest competition.

We had the chance for a fresh start under them with their own manager. They stuck and costing us a season. Last season mid way through when we was getting smashed of teams he should have been sacked and we could have pushed further up the field but nothing happened.

Yeah they definitely should have sacked him after last season. It just sounded like you were blaming them for past seasons before they were even here!

Villa are seven points ahead and ended on 68 points last season. If they were to repeat that you’d need 59 points from 29 games. That equals two points per game, not quite league winning form, actually over a full season that’s only one point more than United got in 2022/23. And Villa have CL games in between EPL match weeks now so who knows how they’ll cope come January.

It looks a distant dream now with Ten Hag, and obviously other teams like Spurs come into the equation above. But the season is certainly still quite open after 9 games. The window of opportunity is rapidly closing though.
The thing is it’s no use looking at one club, Villa, as you mentioned. There are 10 clubs above us who need to lose for us to get 4th and for us to win. They are not all going to lose every week for us to play catch up.

I am positive that things will change when ten Hag is out. Ruud might not be the permanent replacement, but at least short term we would be better off than now.
Totally agree, it’s just a different voice and the players are clearly not having ETH, they just don’t like him, that’s pretty obvious by now?

It’s like we must somehow be the ones to pioneer this experiment of giving a random manager 6-7 years to see whether it changes anything. Nobody else has ever done this but we must because Ferguson has proven that the only thing that separates great managers from mediocre coaches is time.

Indeed saying we'll have to "give a manager more than 2-3 years at some point" just for the sake of trying because we haven't done it yet post SAF is dumb.

We haven't tried just not having a manager either and just let the players rule by committee. Maybe we should try that makes about as much sense.

As per The Times' quote above:

United’s only victories this season have come at home to Fulham and Brentford, away to bottom club Southampton and over League One Barnsley in the Carabao Cup

Those results, and this season so far, are not anomalous. Last season was similar. This is where we are, and this is our level right now. Let that sink in.

West Ham fans probably did .
The United fans at the stadium probably did as well - at this point they've accepted mediocrity as a norm for supporting a manager no matter what - which is ironic considering they are MANCHESTER UNITED supporters, not supporters of a single person within that club - especially one who is embarrassing the club right now.

The thing is it’s no use looking at one club, Villa, as you mentioned. There are 10 clubs above us who need to lose for us to get 4th and for us to win. They are not all going to lose every week for us to play catch up.
Well Villa was just the example though. 67-69 points gets you 5th spot over the past three seasons. That’s two points per game on average (from now on with 11 points after 9 games). It’s utopia with ETH but it’s not impossible with a managerial change.

We are still in the League Cup, no way he is getting the sack at this point.
We're still in the FA. Cup as well. I think they are waiting for him either to quit or the crowd at OT to turn on him. The fans there have been pretty loyal, but you wonder if there will be a breaking point for them, where they put the club first and not the manager which is what's happening at the moment. They cannot seem to separate the two.

The fallout on here from that FA Cup win, and INEOS' decision to back ETH, really showed a lot of people agreeing it was the right decision. It was so shortsighted. One victory over a big rival and suddenly we're supposed to see this Dutch fraud as the man to take us forward. It was a ridiculous decision. He should have been released, albeit more respectfully than Van Gaal, and our hierarchy should have done whatever was needed to bring in the best man.

We're still in the FA. Cup as well. I think they are waiting for him either to quit or the crowd at OT to turn on him. The fans there have been pretty loyal, but you wonder if there will be a breaking point for them, where they put the club first and not the manager which is what's happening at the moment. They cannot seem to separate the two.
Genuine question, would you take 17th but Europa, FA cup and League cup mini treble? What a rollercoaster of a season that would be.

We've got four games in the next 13 days before the next International break:

Leicester Cup (H) - Wed 30th
Chelsea (H) - Sunday 3rd
PAOK (H) - Thurs 7th
Leicester League (H) - Sunday 10th

Will they do their best to hold off until next weekend?

Can't we put him on garden leave???? Tell him that he will be paid but he will be responsible for the reserve, U-23 and U-18. Tell him that it is very important that our youth can play good football and our club future lies in his hand. Appoint Ruud as care taker manager until we can ready to sack. If a player can be banish to play with the reserve, we should be able to banish our manager to reserve due to his poor performance. Maybe ETH feeling humiliated will pack him bags and leave United without compensation. Cook up a story say his mental health is bad so he needs a break from the XI.
He’d ruin the under 18 squad not a chance we do this?

That won't ever happen. He might relegate us to Sunday league and the fans won't turn (at least not vocally as in booing) on him, or any United manager.

The players are fair game to be booed, the manager must be applauded instead.

And he won't quite from 15m pounds, especially considering that he seems to think that he has done everything right, and even last season, turned it around despite all the injuries.

I don’t think so Chelsea will open us up for fun I’m predicting 1-3 or 1-4, he’s gone after that game but if loses to Leicester on Wednesday hell be sacked Thursday morning.
I think it will be pure chaos as usual with them. Three result game.

Status
Not open for further replies.