Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
So they are only gonna sack him once the season is ruined? What does that achieve actually? Does anyone hand to heart actually believe ETH can take us towards a league win? If not, why are we continuing with him again?

I was thinking Mazaroui might be United's worse every number 10 but then I remembered Ten Hag played Weghorst there
I remember at the time, posters would come up with all sorts of wild theories for why Weghorst kept starting games ("ETH knows he's shit, he's just sending a message to the board", etc etc).

This was during the "manager is a genius who can do no wrong" honeymoon phase, so most refused to believe that ETH just didn't have a great eye for talent and genuinely rated Weghorst as a footballer.

So they are only gonna sack him once the season is ruined? What does that achieve actually? Does anyone hand to heart actually believe ETH can take us towards a league win? If not, why are we continuing with him again?
The longer we persist with him, the more likely it seems to me that he's got them in on his long term plan and they will be willing to stick through a couple of years of pain knowing the rewards when 'it clicks' are going to be as amazing as what ETH expects.

What odds can I get on him starting 2025-26 with us?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster." - Mikel Arteta
Speaking of Arteta, look at how he struggled initially at Arsenal and how good he has turned out to be. Maybe the correct idea is to persist with a struggling coach.

I remember at the time, posters would come up with all sorts of wild theories for why Weghorst kept starting games ("ETH knows he's shit, he's just sending a message to the board", etc etc).

This was during the "manager is a genius who can do no wrong" honeymoon phase, so most refused to believe that ETH just didn't have a great eye for talent and genuinely rated Weghorst as a footballer.
I think many at the time considered this to be a good move too.

One of his most perplexing moments was asking players to run 14km in sun after losing to Brentford. Everyone loved it here, I thought it was pathetic.

The only logical reason I can think for keeping him and his shit football is that we have to wait 'til next season to get the man we want. Perhaps the Inzaghi rumours are true or maybe Amorim?

The thing is we like to re-write history after the event. When you judge things on hindsight, must be nice and easy.

Jose won the PL with Chelsea 2 seasons before we signed him.

Go back on the caf when we were looking for a manager and there was a big portion of fans on here thinking we cant get Ten Hag because of how bad we are and that he is being lined up for City job. So please, lets not do this that we all knew Ten Hag was rubbish and you knew all along.

This is nothing to do with hindsight. I said Ten Hag has massively underperformed and other managers elsewhere have done more with less. You said that theory falls flat on its face because our other managers have also failed despite having money to spend. But other managers failing here does nothing to negate Ten Hag’s failures - it just means they weren’t the right manager to move us forward either. That does not mean there aren’t managers that can move us forward and make us compete.

It’s precisely because we don’t have hindsight that failing managers should be quickly moved on so we can try someone else. Because that makes a lot more sense than assuming every manager in the world is going to fail so we may as well just stick with failures.

I'm not a regular match going fan so can't comment but while you say a sentiment is there, do you think will actually be vocal about it?

The thing is, the Spurs performance and result was a catalyst, since then there has been a clear change.

The issue is, fans will only be local if we dont win at home. If we win like against Brentford, it wont be vocal.

I suspect the way things are going, there will be loud groans at half time and full time in most games, considering we can barely score a goal and that frustrates fans.

I think many at the time considered this to be a good move too.

One of his most perplexing moments was asking players to run 14km in sun after losing to Brentford. Everyone loved it here, I thought it was pathetic.
Fans after a poor result: "The manager should punish these wankers - make them run miles!"

Also fans: "Why do we have so many muscle injuries?"

I honestly believe any other club would have acted by now, it’s like only we can make a simple decision into something huge and constantly make the wrong one.
He'd obviously be gone from all of City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Villa for these results (and style). I suspect he'd also be gone from Newcastle, Brighton, West Ham and maybe Fulham. Same performances, same results as we've had over last 18 months.

I could maybe see 7-8 teams in the league being OK with this.

I do think it's mad how little time he's had with a fully fit squad, but a lot of these injury prone players were his choice, but also that's just how it goes I suppose. He clearly continued to back a lot of these always injured players instead of looking to move them on. He's not been flexible enough to get even close to the best out of what he's had available.

When he said “Eras come to an end.” I didn’t know he meant United competing at the highest level.

I do think it's mad how little time he's had with a fully fit squad, but a lot of these injury prone players were his choice, but also that's just how it goes I suppose. He clearly continued to back a lot of these always injured players instead of looking to move them on. He's not been flexible enough to get even close to the best out of what he's had available.
Nearly every manager in the league experiences injuries and key players being unavailable.

Brentford were missing Henry, Hickey, Jensen and Igor when they played us. Wisa was only fit enough to play 25-30 mins off the bench.

When we played Villa away, they were without McGinn, Onana and Ramsey. Mings and Kamara have just come back from ACL injuries this week.

Spurs beat us 3-0 without their two top scorers (Son and Richarlison) from last season.

Look at City this season. Aké, Rodri, KDB and Foden have barely played. They've still won most games comfortably. Fulham was a lucky win.

You're rarely going to have a 90% fully fit squad, let alone a 100% fit one!

Erik is full of excuse and I am shock if anyone accept those reason. At the end of this season, he will use injuries as excuse and ask Ineos for another 200 million to improve the squad quality. Ineos has no idea what to do so they continue to hire and let fans suck in misery. The best way to do is to boycott all the games, Glazers and Ineos need to see fans have iterally given up on this club.

He is still at the injuries card. That just show how bad he is. Can't even cook up a new excuse.

:lol: we've literally had just Shaw injured of note and have been able to play Dalot and Mazraoui at full back every game. For once Erik, you absolutely can't say injuries hold you back .
Mainoo, Mount. Doesn’t matter that Eriksen is playing better than both of them.

Imagine thinking and relying on Luke Shaw to make the difference in 2024. Bonkers.

Regardless of what ETH says, this is an issue. The previous management wasn't fond of squad overhauls, and INEOS want to run a tight ship. Shaw, who can be good when he finds form, but he's very injury prone too, is on considerable wages and has a contract until 2027. Unless we "create" an option in the left-back position, the funds for the "quality" replacement will most likely become available in 2027.

His few remaining fans will lap it up shortly I bet.
The funny thing is that up until after the Porto game, most of the squad has been available to him.

Shaw, Malacia and Yoro being the only consistently injured/unavailable players.

Mainoo, Mount. Doesn’t matter that Eriksen is playing better than both of them.
Mainoo has only missed the past 2 games through injury... Injured is Mounts default status and he's a Bruno backup anyway. Point being that we really haven't had injury issues. Players will get injured over a season, that's normal. Last season was some bad luck with the defensive injuries, that hasn't been a thing this season. If anything we've been a bit fortunate with them.

I don’t think they’ll pull the trigger until OT starts turning against the manager. Once the boos start ringing out on a regular basis they’ll have no other option. Shouldn’t have to get to that point but here we are.

Against Brentford, the first game back after all the sack talk and the fanbase being fuming about the situation, he walked out of the tunnel before kick off and stood in front of the Stretford End clapping. He's on a massive PR mission at the moment, but those sat around the Stretty seemed to be lapping it up. Most of them had probably been asking for him to be sacked for 2 weeks, yet they give him a heroes welcome as though he'd just come back from the trenches. I don't think some of our fans have it in them to be nothing but cheerleaders for everyone and anything to do with the club.

If they held coaches to the same standards they do the Glazers, we'd probably get somewhere. I keep saying this, but the supporters should be the ones to set standards. When we realise this then we might start getting somewhere.

Here we go again..

And apparently we shouldn't count the Spurs game :lol:

Only now and then I sit and question the intelligence of a football coach, as you always just expect that they know so much about the game and we're just maybe not seeing it. But this guy is honestly an absolute imbecile. I listen to him, see his decisions, and think he's just a simpleton. How the feck absolutely anybody buys anything he says is beyond me. If I was in the media I'd have laughed hard when he said this, I'd be all over him. I reckon most of RedCafe posters could tie him in knots over what he says.

I remember a time where United fans got up in arms over comments from Moyes about aspiring to be like City, or something to that effect. Now you would give your left nut to have a coach as media savvy as Moyes. Hell somebody with the charisma of Jose would be the stuff of dreams. We've ended up with the Dutch Del Boy trying to sell us any old rubbish.

He’s below Moyes for me now simply on the basis of his arrogance and drawn out length of garbage tenure
Moyes felt like the end of the world at the time because we were so used to Ferguson and had just won a PL title.

In hindsight, Moyes was given Fellaini as his only major summer signing. He only got to manage Mata for a dozen or so games.

Moyes didn't do much actual damage in terms of recruitment and player sales. Shaw and Herrera were deals put in place while he was still manager. Fellaini and Mata both became useful players for LvG.

I never thought United would have as bad a season as that again. But ten Hag somehow surpassed it with an 8th place finish, negative GD, European exit before Christmas, and 19 defeats across all competitions. Moyes only lost 15 games and did manage to top his CL group.

ten Hag has had a run of 20 months of very poor form. Unprecedented. New bad records every few games.

Regardless of what ETH says, this is an issue. The previous management wasn't fond of squad overhauls, and INEOS want to run a tight ship. Shaw, who can be good when he finds form, but he's very injury prone too, is on considerable wages and has a contract until 2027. Unless we "create" an option in the left-back position, the funds for the "quality" replacement will most likely become available in 2027.

Bloody hell does he really have that long left on his deal? So he got given a new contract when he was fit for a month or so then.

Erik is full of excuse and I am shock if anyone accept those reason. At the end of this season, he will use injuries as excuse and ask Ineos for another 200 million to improve the squad quality. Ineos has no idea what to do so they continue to hire and let fans suck in misery. The best way to do is to boycott all the games, Glazers and Ineos need to see fans have iterally given up on this club.

I think you will notice that no one is buying these excuses now, let alone end of the season. I dont think he can use injuries as an excuse this season, we have seen enough. Last season we said he doesnt have his defence, gave him 3 players in defence and there is minimal difference.

I think boycotting games is the strongest way to send a message that its not the football we want to see but unfortunately; this will never happen, we have enough fans that say "we will go to support the players".

At this point, its torture watching United games.