Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
It was a tough one too after the world cup. Few Rashford sneaky goals, Casemiro headers, and Varane and Martinez playing like goblins at the back

Yeah Rashford was unbelievable between the WC and the Carabao Cup final.

The funny thing was, I've never seen a season celebrated so much for winning the Carabao Cup and finishing top 4 - a season in which we conceded 6 and 7 goals against our biggest rivals.

Remember how we weren't meant to care about getting 7-0 at Anfield, as long as we finished ahead of them? Now who gives 2 shits about that top 4 finish (we humiliated ourselves in the group stages of the CL anyways) and that result is a permanent stain on the clubs history.

We’ve dropped from champions league to europa league and now struggling there too. We’ve gone from trying to say Copenhagen and Galatasaray are incredibly difficult fixtures for us to having no wins in the Europa but it shows we are hard to beat?!

Literally drifting to mediocrity to such a degree that a 2-1 home win to Brentford feels like a massive result.
There was a time when I felt embarrassed that United were even playing in the Europa League after being perennial Champions League contenders under SAF. Now we look a bit out of our depth in the second tier competition. May spend a few more hundred million and we can have a go at the Conference League?

Narrow wins which could have gone either way and a Rashford purple patch.

All the signs were there but some of us got called all sorts of names for pointing out we weren't that good.
We didn't play "his football" did we...if you recall, we lost our opening game to Brighton at home and then get smashed 0-4 by Brentford.

After that, EtH went into survival mode and set us up much more conservatively. We became hard to beat and we managed to sneak through plenty of games by the odd goal.

We didn't play "his football" did we...if you recall, we lost our opening game to Brighton at home and then get smashed 0-4 by Brentford.

After that, EtH went into survival mode and set us up much more conservatively. We became hard to beat and we managed to sneak through plenty of games by the odd goal.

We basically played Ole's football and it got us to roughly where Ole's football had gotten us 2 of the 3 seasons prior to that.

He probably should have just stuck to that at this point. I actually gave him quite a lot of credit in his first season for being pragmatic and realising the limitations. Doesn't that feel silly now.

When you think about this, we are not really in that bad position. We've already got two of our toughest EL games out of the way, remaining are PAOK, Bodo/Glimt and Rangers at home which should get us at least 5 points, and Plzen away which while difficult is still winnable. Top 8 may be difficult but we should finish anywhere near 9th and 24th comfortably.

In the cups, we will already be in QFs if we beat Leicester, and a draw has been good for us in that one of City/Tottenham, Brighton/Liverpool will get knocked out soon. I can see us making it to a semifinal with a good draw, and then it's a short way to final, possibly another trophy under ten Hag's belt.

As for the league, we will probably cruise towards 7th to 10th finish. I am certain we won't finish against any of City, Liverpool and Arsenal, and don't expect us to finish above too many of Villa, Spurs, Brighton, Newcastle and Chelsea - maybe could pip 1 or 2 of them to 6th or 7th, which I reckon will be enough to keep him for another Summer.
This is grim and bitter, but I agree. Something like EL quarterfinal, a semifinal or so in the league cup and 7-8th in the league should ensure they give him the new contract.

fecking hell remember the reaction after that game?

A 0-0 draw against a clearly dreadful Crystal Palace and there were people on here jumping up and down in delight at how amazing we were! It was 45 decent minutes against a really shite struggling side where we still didn't score. And then 2nd half it was even and they probably should have nicked it, they created the better chances.

That is probably the best example of how low standards now are.

We had 20 mins against Spurs last season that had the 'ETH in' blowing their minds. We lost the game but those 20 minutes were something special alright..

The ownership are treating this as if we are Bournemouth and need to build our financial stability back to the top.

Every summer we have the financial power to compete for the best players in world football and we also have the pull to obtain 90% of your targets no matter where we finished the season before.

However they keep feeding us this BS about time. It doesn’t take that long to have a game model and pick a capable manager. Like I mentioned above we have the luxury of being a juggernaut. Even if we are 14th the best managers in the world will still want to come.

He's hardly been wrong tbf. It's an obvious caricature, but the club has genuinely done exactly that :lol:

Tbh, it's more the relentlessness of the wum and the constant excusing of how shite we were that gets tedious. Yes, we know the new owners are an absolute joke so far. But that doesn't make any of this ok.

fecking hell remember the reaction after that game?

A 0-0 draw against a clearly dreadful Crystal Palace and there were people on here jumping up and down in delight at how amazing we were! It was 45 decent minutes against a really shite struggling side where we still didn't score. And then 2nd half it was even and they probably should have nicked it, they created the better chances.

That is probably the best example of how low standards now are.
It's just desperate people clinging on to any shred of hope, because they lack the balls to accept the reality of the situation, and how it's not going to improve whilst Ten Hag remains in charge.

We've gone around in this same hamster wheel with every manager. There are always some lunatics who pull out 30 minutes here, and 45 minutes there, as if it means anything at all. Relegation fodder like Luton will have periods of good performance over the course of an season. No reasonable person reads anything into it, that's just the nature of sport. You take a larger sample size of data to draw conclusions from, which is why I've wanted Ten Hag sacked for well over a year

The fact he's still here does not look good on INEOS. What message does it send that Ten Hag can serve up dross football whilst not getting wins and results, and still be in the job?

Standards have been lowered. Meanwhile these players, coaches, manager and executives are drawing salaries that have been made possible by the United of old. The United with the higher standards and expectations.

I bet Victor Lindelof has earned more money "playing" for United than Denis Irwin ever did for us.

Fact is we’re now a mid table club.

Ten Hag should have been sacked end of last season, there was no reason to keep him.

Playing Mazaroui as a number 10 is like one of those mad threads you get on redcafe where a poster suggests playing X player in a new position and it gets shot down.

I was thinking Mazaroui might be United's worse every number 10 but then I remembered Ten Hag played Weghorst there

It's hard to be worse than Moyes (taking the Champions down to 7th), but ETH is giving it a damn good shot.
I think that crossing extravaganza we delivered against Fulham under Moyes is still the most embarrassed I've been with a United performance but overall Ten Hag has been far worse.

The fact he's still here does not look good on INEOS. What message does it send that Ten Hag can serve up dross football whilst not getting wins and results, and still be in the job?

Standards have been lowered. Meanwhile these players, coaches, manager and executives are drawing salaries that have been made possible by the United of old. The United with the higher standards and expectations.

I bet Victor Lindelof has earned more money "playing" for United than Denis Irwin ever did for us.

For Fergie it must be like a father watching his kid squander their inheritance and the family business you handed over to him. Only we went one step further and sacked him from his position too :lol:

Playing Mazaroui as a number 10 is like one of those mad threads you get on redcafe where a poster suggests playing X player in a new position and it gets shot down.

I was thinking Mazaroui might be United's worse every number 10 but then I remembered Ten Hag played Weghorst there
Weghorst was alright there to be fair, by what you’d expect from someone his level, better than Mazaroui.

I'm convinced ETH only does this weird stuff so that he always has an excuse. If he put out a reasonable side that people thought looked good, he would have been expected to win.

The ownership are treating this as if we are Bournemouth and need to build our financial stability back to the top.

Every summer we have the financial power to compete for the best players in world football and we also have the pull to obtain 90% of your targets no matter where we finished the season before.

However they keep feeding us this BS about time. It doesn’t take that long to have a game model and pick a capable manager. Like I mentioned above we have the luxury of being a juggernaut. Even if we are 14th the best managers in the world will still want to come.
Not really. They let O'Neil go because they knew that a ceiling of that team under him was limited, and went for a more ambitious manager in Iraola. They are more ambitious than we are.

I'm convinced ETH only does this weird stuff so that he always has an excuse. If he put out a reasonable side that people thought looked good, he would have been expected to win.
He's trying to be like Pep, except he doesn't have the skills to pull it off. Pep invents different odd formations, has players out of position all over the pitch but he actually knows what he's doing most of the time. ETH is just a wannabe.

I am wondering how did this guy manage to get us to 3rd place in the first season and made us look good in defense.
I know Rashford was in terrific form but still it was a small miracle considering what we play now.
After the poor start to that season, ETH basically just reverted to playing the same style as Ole while having a better defence and midfield (although admittedly a worse attack).

He went fully in on his style from the start of his second season, and that's where it's all went unbelievably wrong.

We had 20 mins against Spurs last season that had the 'ETH in' blowing their minds. We lost the game but those 20 minutes were something special alright..
We have people here believing we played at a comfortable top 4 level last year but were undone by bad refereeing. People just refuse to believe how poor we've been.

I think that crossing extravaganza we delivered against Fulham under Moyes is still the most embarrassed I've been with a United performance but overall Ten Hag has been far worse.
Well, at least that was a clear and obvious plan, which you could dislike, but you could see what Moyes wanted to do and how he wanted to score goals in that match.

None of this was visible yesterday.

There's been far worse than that under ETH. The difference is, back then we all still had very high standards. All of our post-Fergie managers managed to gradually erode those standards and here we are today.

After the poor start to that season, ETH basically just reverted to playing the same style as Ole while having a better defence and midfield (although admittedly a worse attack).

He went fully in on his style from the start of his second season, and that's where it's all went unbelievably wrong.
Exactly. 22-23 was basically an extension to 19-22 when we finished in top 4 twice in three attempts. When he tried implementing his own style early that season it failed miserably, so he reverted to what we had actually proven to be good at.

He's trying to be like Pep, except he doesn't have the skills to pull it off. Pep invents different odd formations, has players out of position all over the pitch but he actually knows what he's doing most of the time. ETH is just a wannabe.

Yeah Pep created something so effective that he seems to get bored and switch it up to keep people guessing. What we're seeing is a million miles away from that.

I remember having an argument last season with a certain poster who was arguing that Shaw had to play at CB as he was our only left footer available. Whilst we played a RB at LB and had Varane on the bench. A few poor performances later and ETH came to his senses thankfully.

There's been far worse than that under ETH. The difference is, back then we all still had very high standards. All of our post-Fergie managers managed to gradually erode those standards and here we are today.
Moyes got fired for performing way beyond what ETH has shown to be capable of it. In retrospect that season was actually great - 64 points in the league, +21 GD, comfortably out of CL groups and into QFs where we were at least somewhat competitive against Bayern and even led with 30 mins to go in the tie, came very close to making a League Cup final. ETH would be calling himself an all-time OT hero if he managed to pull off a season like that on all fronts.

this is now considered an uptick in form:

51d0230e20b7ab089af8a4219cde63f3d990b5ee.jpg

Nowadays a draw against Fenerahce is a great result, at least according the UnitedSEG

We have people here believing we played at a comfortable top 4 level last year but were undone by bad refereeing. People just refuse to believe how poor we've been.
Can honestly say I’ve not seen that narrative on here at all?

Unless it’s by the couple of Ten Hag supporters in this thread, whose posts I mostly skip now. Who oddly haven’t been on here since last night, funnily enough.

Moyes got fired for performing way beyond what ETH has shown to be capable of it. In retrospect that season was actually great - 64 points in the league, +21 GD, comfortably out of CL groups and into QFs where we were at least somewhat competitive against Bayern and even led with 30 mins to go in the tie, came very close to making a League Cup final. ETH would be calling himself an all-time OT hero if he managed to pull off a season like that on all fronts.

The fans had standards back then, and that was seen as an absolutely tragic season. At the time, we all thought that things would never get that bad again. If only we had of been able to see into the future.

Last edited:
Can honestly say I’ve not seen that narrative on here at all?

Unless it’s by the couple of Ten Hag supporters in this thread, whose posts I mostly skip now. Who oddly haven’t been on here since last night, funnily enough.
It must have been less than two weeks ago someone pointed out we would have been 12-15 points better off last year if referees hadn't screwed us. That would have got us above Villa by a good margin.

The fans had standards back then, and that was seen as an absolutely tragic season. At the time, we all thought that things would ever get that bad again. If only we had of been able to see into the future.
I'd kill for that level of football now. 64 goals, positive goal difference, winning against good teams in Europe.

We progressed with 14 points and undefeated from a group with Leverkusen, Shakhtar and Sociedad. Can you imagine us getting more than 5 points in a group like that these days?

The fans had standards back then, and that was seen as an absolutely tragic season. At the time, we all thought that things would ever get that bad again. If only we had of been able to see into the future.

They didn't really. Plenty wanted Moyes to have more time.

I think the only thing driving standards at this club for the last 10 years have actually been the sponsors. The terms of the Adidas deal meant the club couldn't afford to be out of the CL. That got negotiated out I believe so there's no accountability left.