Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I thought today we deserve to win 1-0 or may be even 2-0. Other than the double saves from Onana in first half, I didn’t think Fenerbahce possessed enough threats to score. IMO, The goal they scored is down to individual mistake because any decent defender should have head that ball away.

Zirkzee is bad imo, he’s too slow to release the ball and his ball control is poor. I understand that the manager wants to give him chance by rotating him and Hojlund, but in reality Zirkzee isn’t good enough to start in Europa league and PL at the moment.

How did we deserve to win, it took some heroic defending to keep them from scoring in the first half, before the double save!
We deserved nothing, we were so cowardly and bad, it felt like playing Real Madrid away.

I've genuinely tried to tune out for the last month or so. Like watch the game but while also doing something else. So boring and atrocious to watch with no clear direction. Shocking.

this is now considered an uptick in form:

51d0230e20b7ab089af8a4219cde63f3d990b5ee.jpg
All I see is we’ve lost only 1 in 7 and that was when we were unfairly down to 10 men. Hard to beat.

I am wondering how did this guy manage to get us to 3rd place in the first season and made us look good in defense.
I know Rashford was in terrific form but still it was a small miracle considering what we play now.

The last drop of Varane and Casemiro before they fully declined.

He’s venturing into Moyes territory of trying to lower expectations

Oh I think he's been there for a while now.

He's spent the last few months trying to frame last season, easily the worst season I've ever seen as a Utd fan, as a success because we won the FA Cup. I think he's now decided that standards are so low he can just avoid defeat in most games and he'll be fine. Occasionally win one every 5 or 6 games and that's enough.

That draw against Palace wasn't any old draw though. We had 45 minutes of being prime Brazil.

fecking hell remember the reaction after that game?

A 0-0 draw against a clearly dreadful Crystal Palace and there were people on here jumping up and down in delight at how amazing we were! It was 45 decent minutes against a really shite struggling side where we still didn't score. And then 2nd half it was even and they probably should have nicked it, they created the better chances.

That is probably the best example of how low standards now are.

Standards have plummeted and there's no sign of improvement. I just listened to a bit of Talk of the Devils podcast and Carl Anka mirrors my thoughts on watching us play.

We're just a team of nothingness plodding along to the next fixture, rinse and repeat.

fecking hell remember the reaction after that game?

A 0-0 draw against a clearly dreadful Crystal Palace and there were people on here jumping up and down in delight at how amazing we were! It was 45 decent minutes against a really shite struggling side where we still didn't score. And then 2nd half it was even and they probably should have nicked it, they created the better chances.

That is probably the best example of how low standards now are.

The reaction was absolutely bonkers.

That + Rashford’s spectacular season and most of our top 4 opponents having an off season.

Pretty much all our decent league finishes post-Fergie have only come when other top 4 teams had a-bit of a mare.

Last edited:
I think the inevitableness of this makes it so much worse. We know he’s not the one, it’s clear he’s not turning this around to make us actually anywhere close to what is required, and yet it’s dragging on and on.

An interim is far from ideal, but they can’t do any worse, and if they do, they’re simply only a placeholder.

When you think about this, we are not really in that bad position. We've already got two of our toughest EL games out of the way, remaining are PAOK, Bodo/Glimt and Rangers at home which should get us at least 5 points, and Plzen away which while difficult is still winnable. Top 8 may be difficult but we should finish anywhere near 9th and 24th comfortably.

In the cups, we will already be in QFs if we beat Leicester, and a draw has been good for us in that one of City/Tottenham, Brighton/Liverpool will get knocked out soon. I can see us making it to a semifinal with a good draw, and then it's a short way to final, possibly another trophy under ten Hag's belt.

As for the league, we will probably cruise towards 7th to 10th finish. I am certain we won't finish against any of City, Liverpool and Arsenal, and don't expect us to finish above too many of Villa, Spurs, Brighton, Newcastle and Chelsea - maybe could pip 1 or 2 of them to 6th or 7th, which I reckon will be enough to keep him for another Summer.
There was a time when I at least had hope that your posts wouldn't line up so accurately with reality :(

I am wondering how did this guy manage to get us to 3rd place in the first season and made us look good in defense.
I know Rashford was in terrific form but still it was a small miracle considering what we play now.

Underlying stats had us down in 6th.

https://understat.com/league/EPL/2022

But you weren't allowed to point that out on here. Not having your head buried deep in the sand was just too much negativity.

There was a time when I at least had hope that your posts wouldn't line up so accurately with reality :(
I've been eerily accurate about his fate for the last 6 to 12 months, one must admit.

I am almost certain he will remain our coach until end of season and think it's more likely than not that we will start next season also with him in charge.

See I don’t think it is anymore he’s just not getting the best out of our players , Full back we’re struggling due to injuries but the squad has quality elsewhere in my opinion.

When the squad can’t put 2 passes together and are conceding so many chances per match it’s the system/setup

In recent years I would agree but we’ve cut the so called mediocrity out of the side in recent transfer windows
I'd say we've just replaced it with more. £600m spent and no improvement to the attack at all being the main problem.

He’s venturing into Moyes territory of trying to lower expectations

We’ve dropped from champions league to europa league and now struggling there too. We’ve gone from trying to say Copenhagen and Galatasaray are incredibly difficult fixtures for us to having no wins in the Europa but it shows we are hard to beat?!

Literally drifting to mediocrity to such a degree that a 2-1 home win to Brentford feels like a massive result.

But then the question is why have we allowed it to come to that? Surely competent people could see that coming and change something? Even if they have an ambitious target they can't get until the end of the season, the chance with a new manager bounce with an interim shouldn't be ignored.
Ineos don't appear to be very competent

Maybe it is about ego? Berrada, Wilcox and Ashworth decided to keep him this summer and they don't want to accept mistake now.

It may be down to finance, a big pay off, less at the end of the season I would think, new manager availability, the one they're after is currently in a job, final chance for Ten Hag to get his signings in the team and playing well, that remains to be seen, not convinced so far.

I don't get why they don't just pull the trigger now even if it's only Ruud as an interim. Ten Hag has nothing about him and it has been clear for at least a year now.

The lack of ambition last night was totally exasperating. We had the opportunity to try something a bit different last night in Fernandes' absence, either pairing Zirkzee and Hojlund together or playing Amad behind the striker and his solution is to play a full-back there. At what point does the self loathing end for the club?

Playing Mazaroui has to be pisstake surely. He is daring the board to sack him. All he needed to do today was to play Eriksen at 10 and play Ugarte and Casemiro in Central midfield. Or Play Amad or Zirkzee there.

He mentions how Antony deserves a chance due to his training performance but fails to mention how Zirkzee who is serving trash is getting a start while likes of Amad hasnt seen a single minute in last 3 games.

At this point is better to get rid because his team management would lead to more discontent and results most likely wont improve

Yeap. A very unserious manager.

Who next? Onana as the no 9?

A far cry from the “all eras come to an end” and “good is not good enough” stuff he was saying when he first walked through the door. Those standards have went out the window now.

Even he knows that if he says that now, he will have to fire himself.

Playing Mazaroui at 10 was disrespectful and a slap in the face of the attacking talent in the squad. Genuinely how could that possibly be good for morale to see that sort of tactical decision made? How can any of them feel truly believed in. It’s just woeful management.

Playing Mazaroui at 10 was disrespectful and a slap in the face of the attacking talent in the squad. Genuinely how could that possibly be good for morale to see that sort of tactical decision made? How can any of them feel truly believed in. It’s just woeful management.
I think the only reason the players haven't turned against him is because the squad is mostly his players who wouldnt be playing at a major club if it wasnt for him.

Totally agree.

I don't mind a manager trying players in different positions but everything about the Mazraoui thing was illogical and it proceeded to not work.

Firstly he's spent all season having Dalot play in midfield, sticking him next to Ugarte and Eriksen at 10 would have made more sense.

Secondly we only have 2 full backs anyway so probably don't piss around with them.

Finally once he did decide to play him there, Mazraoui looked visibly confused about what he should be doing. If you're going to play Fabio and John O'Shea in midfield then you should make sure they have been drilled to know exactly what to do in there.

The way he sets up this team is mind blowing. Finally we had the chance to try a setup without Bruno, and he would not have it! So intensively infuriating.

There's 3 potential 10s beside Bruno, but no way, let's ensure this fails by putting a right back there.

Get out

I don't get why they don't just pull the trigger now even if it's only Ruud as an interim. Ten Hag has nothing about him and it has been clear for at least a year now.

The lack of ambition last night was totally exasperating. We had the opportunity to try something a bit different last night in Fernandes' absence, either pairing Zirkzee and Hojlund together or playing Amad behind the striker and his solution is to play a full-back there. At what point does the self loathing end for the club?
The season is at 25% and it's 98% over for us already, with the current situation we are just playing for the sake of it.
Give it to Ruud, or give it to anyone really at this point, a change is usually for the best in these circumstances. It is hard to believe the board is that void of ideas and can't identify anyone as a decent replacement.
I wonder of Ten Hag blackmails them with something, maybe he has some x rated tapes with them, who knows.

When you think about this, we are not really in that bad position. We've already got two of our toughest EL games out of the way, remaining are PAOK, Bodo/Glimt and Rangers at home which should get us at least 5 points, and Plzen away which while difficult is still winnable. Top 8 may be difficult but we should finish anywhere near 9th and 24th comfortably.

In the cups, we will already be in QFs if we beat Leicester, and a draw has been good for us in that one of City/Tottenham, Brighton/Liverpool will get knocked out soon. I can see us making it to a semifinal with a good draw, and then it's a short way to final, possibly another trophy under ten Hag's belt.

As for the league, we will probably cruise towards 7th to 10th finish. I am certain we won't finish against any of City, Liverpool and Arsenal, and don't expect us to finish above too many of Villa, Spurs, Brighton, Newcastle and Chelsea - maybe could pip 1 or 2 of them to 6th or 7th, which I reckon will be enough to keep him for another Summer.
Thats the spirit.
the board can then congratulate him offer him a big fat rise and another 5 years on his contract.

I am so so fed up of both ETH and United at this point. I've supported since I was a kid, with my first memories of the 1984 season. I have never felt this dispondant about the team, to the point that I am actually skipping watching matches as they just annoy me so much - when I saw no Amad, Mas at 10, no left back, Anothony coming on for 4 minutes... and ETH saying that he didn't want to play 4 attckers in Europe due to the atmosphere. WTF.

I don't understand the squad and signings (and lack there of), the team plan and stucture, the in game tactics and management, and also the off field management with INEOS/Glazers etc.

Really, ETH is a clown and should have been sacked a year ago. I don't know what magic powers he has, or what dirt he has on INEOS, but this is embarrassing at this point.

Narrow wins which could have gone either way and a Rashford purple patch.

All the signs were there but some of us got called all sorts of names for pointing out we weren't that good.