Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just have to laugh at this point. I was outraged with how low we got under Ole and how he kept surviving, but reading the this thread tonight and all the stats, we're considerably worse. And the dreaded 'R' word is now creeping in, which will be on everyone's mind if we lose next weekend and a couple of other results go a certain way.

I've been wanting rid of ETH for so long now that I just feel tired by it all. Seeing him survive that last break and come out talking is though he's bullet proof has me feeling indifferent to everything related to United right now. I didn't even come in here expecting to hear anything about him being sacked as I subconsciously know he's not going anywhere for a long time, and I'm at the point where I don't care what we do as this season is done anyway.

Every loss or dropped points just feels like nothing to me right now, a normality, and that's why i found the stats so startling as to how bad we've been. It's really crazy how far we've fallen, and it's criminal how INEOS have allowed this to happen. But here we are. Even my excitement and hope that they brought has now completely eroded. I'm looking at all their appointments through a different lense now and wondering how good these appointments actually are. Seeing United fans get excited by their arrival kind of feels like looking back on that excitement over things like the Alexis Sanchez signing...just another complete misplacing of hope. And the potential for that was always there when you look at the fact they are doing entirely different roles (Berrada, Wilcox) or just have never been part of a top, successful setup (Ashworth). We're fecking fecked, I can just feel it.

You have put into words perfectly how I feel

It's the hope that kills, I thought he was finally the right fit manager wise. I thought Ineos said the right things and wanted to get us back to the top

Husband who supports Liverpool said surely he's gone if we go out the cup midweek and lose to Chelsea. Honestly, I don't think even that will do it, Chelsea will be passed of as the level we are aspiring to in Moyes style. He's survived humiliations by what used to be fellow top 6 clubs before

I honestly think it will take an utter humiliation by a lower table club in the same way it was a pumping by Watford that finally sent Ole packing as they quite simply couldn't ignore such a disgusting result. (We've had a great number of those but it seemed even they couldn't ignore that)

Let's not forget a vast majority of us on tne forum wanted him gone after the FA cup even if we won. I said before we could won 10-0 and I'd still sack him because of everything that had gone before, yet they bowed to pressure and kept him on so only have themselves to blame for now having a greater compensation package due.

I get he can't sort the shocking finishing and shocking decision making but we are in free fall and have been for a very long time.

Could a win ever be as bad as a loss? As that's what the FA cup feels like

If they do finally sack him only to replace him with Southgate I give up hope completely

I'm past the point of being sick of the sight of this guy now. I feel like I can't give a shit any more.

I have no clue what INEOS (or whoever the f**k it is that runs us) have planned for us. But we're in the mud right now sinking deeper and deeper, we need a decision to be made but they just seem to be sat around with their thumb up their arse.

Can't be any worse than the Glazers, can they? Well, surprisingly they actually appear to be.

Just give it to Ruud and salvage what is left of the season

Ruud is already “coaching” this team.

- I said at the start of the season, if its bad after 3 games, sack him.

Any longer was a big risk and now we would need something really special to get top 4. I just don't think we’ll get that type of appointment, and it would be unreasonable to expect that.

Tuchel a few weeks ago would have given us that chance but I don’t see us paying out for a manager to move to us mid-season.

This keeps coming up, but the £17m figure assumes we'd pay out the entirety of his contract as the severance, which in reality almost never happens.

More likely we'd settle on around a year's worth of wages (around £10m), or we'd just keep him on the books and keep paying his wages until he gets another job.

This is exactly what happens. Unless it’s written into the context, which is inconceivable, there is no lump sum jackpot payout to a sacked manager.

Do we actually the have the money to sack him? For him and the rest of his saboteurs, we're probably looking at another £20 million in coaching compensation.
Jim cost-cutting Ratcliffe couldn't even afford to send two players to the Ballon d'Or nominees, let alone pay 20m to sack his summer mistake.

That was our 7th injury time PL defeat today under ETH. In the 21 years before he joined it only happened twice.

Last minute winners conceded in PL History:

06/07 – Arsenal 2-1 Man Utd (Thierry Henry 90+3 – 21/01/07)

19/20 - Man Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (Patrick van Aanholt 90+3 - 24/08/19)

TEN HAG ARRIVES:

22/23 - Arsenal 3-2 Man Utd (Eddie Nketiah 90th min - 22/01/23)

22/23 - Brighton 1-0 Man Utd (Alexix McAllister 90+9 - 04/05/23)

23/24 - Arsenal 3-1 Man Utd (Declan Rice 90+6 - 03/11/23)

23/24 - Man Utd 1-2 Fulham (Alex Iwobi 90+7 - 24/02/24)

23/24 - Chelsea 4-3 Man Utd (Cole Palmer 90+11 – 04/04/24)

24/25 - Brighton 2-1 Man Utd (Joao Pedro 90+5 - 24/08/24)

24/25 - West Ham 2-1 Man Utd (Bowen 90+2 - 27/10/24)

It’s levels of shit I genuinely didn’t think was possible.
He has completely obliterated any remnants of a fear factor we had left.

I see we’re at the stage of banning posters for having the gall to point out ETH may have been unlucky this match.

Should just rename this thread to “anti ETH 2024/25” and be done with it

I see we’re at the stage of banning posters for having the gall to point out ETH may have been unlucky this match.

Yeah, that was the reason he was banned. Not the 3000 posts of flagrant trolling.

Side bar - if you're not anti ETH at this point, you are anti United. And this is after all a United forum.

Yeah, that was the reason he was banned. Not the 3000 posts of flagrant trolling.

Side bar - if you're not anti ETH at this point, you are anti United. And this is after all a United forum.
I’m fine if he gets sacked. But I’m also fed up of constantly laying the blame at the door of each manager that steps up to the job when the same issues keep resurfacing. At some point you have to stick with one of them for longer than the customary 2-3 years to see if anything else can be changed.

I don't see how trying to stay positive for once makes anyone anti United or a troll.

I’m fine if he gets sacked. But I’m also fed up of constantly laying the blame at the door of each manager that steps up to the job when the same issues keep resurfacing. At some point you have to stick with one of them for longer than the customary 2-3 years to see if anything else can be changed.

I don't see how trying to stay positive for once makes anyone anti United or a troll.

You say 'steps up to the job'. I say he's been paid £9m a year to turn us into the biggest laughing stock in football at a cost of well over £600m.

A club that sticks with a proven fraud of a manager for longer than 2-3 years is a club run by idiots, who will run that club into the ground. If they think it takes longer than 2-3 years to affect positive change at any club, let alone one that gives you £600m to play with over 3 summer windows, they do not understand anything about the game.

And there's a clear difference between staying positive and deliberately trolling the thread after every defeat relentlessly for a year.

Last edited:

The manager who has overseen our worst league and European performance in over 30 years whilst being backed to the tune of over £600m?

Seems like a strange choice for us to blindly invest 5 or 6 years in whilst things just get worse and worse. You would probably want to at least see gradual improvement.

The feel good FA cup win temporarily lulled a lot of people, fused with some good old blind optimism of a summer window.

The truth now is that every away game is a potential loss, and any decent team at home can smack us 3-0 too.

The only tiny things letting him cling on are the daft renewal, letting him lash another huge wad away, and a few really harsh calls like today's pen and that Bruno red. Those are perfect excuses for some losses.
There isn't much excuse for having Man Utd finishing 8thand having negative goal difference though. There can't have been many times in the last 40 years where our attack has looked so blunt.

Oh yeah he knows that why he's got the injury and dodgy penalty excuses to call on it makes his position even more safe with INEOS

I’m fine if he gets sacked. But I’m also fed up of constantly laying the blame at the door of each manager that steps up to the job when the same issues keep resurfacing

What are the same issues that keep resurfacing?

At some point you have to stick with one of them for longer than the customary 2-3 years to see if anything else can be changed.

You really don't. You don't stick with an underperforming manager just because you didn't previously stick with other underperforming managers. I mean, what the hell.

Entirely different squad, coaching team, medical staff, transfer set-up, managerial and even ownership structure. What else do you want to see changed? Badge, stadium name?

I have no idea why people keep trying to apply this logic to Utd, is it purely because of what happened with SAF.

And imagine deciding to actually attempt it with someone who is doing this badly and has been producing the same shit for 18 million months.

I have no idea why people keep trying to apply this logic to Utd, is it purely because of what happened with SAF.

And imagine deciding to actually attempt it with someone who is doing this badly and has been producing the same shit for 18 million months.

The thing I don't get is if we change from a "customary" 3 years then what do we move to? 5 years? 10?

What if we don't hire the right manager twice in a row, we just have to be rubbish for 20 years.

It really doesn't make sense.

If you've ever watched two midtable sides slug it out, this is exactly what this game was like. Poor finishing from one, a swing in momentum second half, fine margins, atrocious officiating. Then one struggling side prevails over the other in the end. Hard luck stories. Except one side has invested 600 million, is historically the biggest club in England, and the other has a manager newly installed.

The sackings should continue until results improve. Same as with any other job. We give failing managers too much time. 18 months should be the max one gives before making a decision to retain or fire. That's 2 - 3 windows and enough data to see/not see progress. I get performance reviews every six months at my job, so why shouldn't they get similar?

When people getting laid off from the club are saying their positions would've been retained if the club had been doing better on the pitch (see Mitten on Talk of the Devils), and you're out here saying its fine to let underperforming, well-compensated managers just go on for years, I do have to ask whether you have the club's best interests.

Be as positive as you like, but reality doesn't care.

That was our 7th injury time PL defeat today under ETH. In the 21 years before he joined it only happened twice.

Last minute winners conceded in PL History:

06/07 – Arsenal 2-1 Man Utd (Thierry Henry 90+3 – 21/01/07)

19/20 - Man Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (Patrick van Aanholt 90+3 - 24/08/19)

TEN HAG ARRIVES:

22/23 - Arsenal 3-2 Man Utd (Eddie Nketiah 90th min - 22/01/23)

22/23 - Brighton 1-0 Man Utd (Alexix McAllister 90+9 - 04/05/23)

23/24 - Arsenal 3-1 Man Utd (Declan Rice 90+6 - 03/11/23)

23/24 - Man Utd 1-2 Fulham (Alex Iwobi 90+7 - 24/02/24)

23/24 - Chelsea 4-3 Man Utd (Cole Palmer 90+11 – 04/04/24)

24/25 - Brighton 2-1 Man Utd (Joao Pedro 90+5 - 24/08/24)

24/25 - West Ham 2-1 Man Utd (Bowen 90+2 - 27/10/24)

It’s levels of shit I genuinely didn’t think was possible.
All but one London based team… Chelsea next week..

I am positive that things will change when ten Hag is out. Ruud might not be the permanent replacement, but at least short term we would be better off than now.
100%. First thing to do is stop the rot, meaning Ethl out. Then put Ruud n Roy in or Potter and Roy or big Sam in then they can judge how we go from there. If it doesn't work. We try someone else. Plus while this is happening you look for a more longer term appointment which suits the players we have. It's not rocket surgery is it.

The "deserves another season"/"proper crack of the whip"/"under the INEOS structure" were some of the worst takes on managerial meritocracy I've ever seen

That's so funny, this guy has so many lives. Every two games is "the next two games are decisive for his future" guy goes 1 win in 8 and now it's "can't lose against Chelsea" :lol:

what happens if he doesn't lose against Chelsea?

I can't see anything other than a thrashing to be honest. I just watched their goals :o Palmer can score from anywhere. I'd put money on him getting a hat trick.

Worst manager across Europe's top 5 leagues.

But at this point, the board is to blame. He should have been sacked numerous times by now. They will wait until it's too late and another season will be wasted.

I fear it'll be a very long time until we challenge for the Prem again.

Nevermind waiting until its too late. If we continue to keep drawing or losing any more games, we'll find ourselves in the relegation zone.

Its the unthinkable. Hovering around the bottom 5 in the league. Jesus wept.

Is he overtraining the players in terms of fitness? Here me out. He gives opportunities to play to the players giving their all in training and holding nothing back. These are the players he then sends out to play. So they seem tired, lacking composure and sharpness because they already are tired before the match begins. I am not making excuses for lazy ass players. But there surely must a balance. I of course have not attended his coaching sessions. But the most recent example is Antony. He trained better than Amad and so he played. He also only lasted 10 minutes before his ankle gave way. Coincidence? I think not. There needs to be proper recovery before matches. Does he not realise that?

Jim cost-cutting Ratcliffe couldn't even afford to send two players to the Ballon d'Or nominees, let alone pay 20m to sack his summer mistake.
Apologies to derail the thread just have to reply to this.

I honestly don’t understand why Jim was soo desperate to acquire the club that needed a lot of investment and cashflow to bring it back to the top.

He could have stayed out of the way and let the guys with funds to acquire the club because he seems he will be a problem and not a solution.