Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I wouldn't call Arteta a success if he leaves and Arsenal dont win a PL/CL. I would take a title, 5th, 8th in 3 years over coming 2nd in 3 years in a row.
As would I but I'd rather be in Arsenal's position after 3 years than ours, despite an FA Cup and League Cup.

They have only been at the club for 7/8 months, that is hardly a track record is it?

Again, there were at least three opportunities to get rid now, the most most recent before an International break. I'd call that a record now, yes. If there was only one opportunity to do so, being the summer after the FA Cup win, I'd agree with you.

Cup wins generally breed success. ETH needs to crack in a positive way to gain momentum. Its the only way to save his job for i believe come the end of this season they will have someone else lined up

I don't think that's true. Everyone remembers the classic title races of the 90s and 2000s, for example - even the teams that ultimately came up short.
But, Arsenal won the league in 98 and 02. They had some success in that period. If they hadn't won either of those, the historical view of them now would be very different.

Before that, I'll give you maybe Keegan's Newcastle. But how much of that centres around the manager's breakdown rather than a great Newcastle side?

I do agree on the principle. But how much have the teams that will finish above us spent? (I don’t know either).
Also after finishing 8th we outspent every team who finished above us. And made ground on none of them so far

I think he’s doing a poor job but he’s here to stay. Two wins in the next two will make the tables look a lot healthier

Also after finishing 8th we outspent every team who finished above us. And made ground on none of them so far

I think he’s doing a poor job but he’s here to stay. Two wins in the next two will make the tables look a lot healthier

By how much though? Not putting that on you. I’ll take a look later.

And also… we definitely didn’t buy better players. I can find fault with the manager for the players signed. To a point. But not also hit him over the head with the money spent on them.

It’s truly not the managers job to decide whether a player is worth £XXm.

But, Arsenal won the league in 98 and 02. They had some success in that period. If they hadn't won either of those, the historical view of them now would be very different.

Before that, I'll give you maybe Keegan's Newcastle. But how much of that centres around the manager's breakdown rather than a great Newcastle side?

I remember Liverpool's 09 more favourably than any pre-Klopp season that came after that despite winning trophies.
I can't even remember Arsenal winning the FA Cup in the 2010's despite knowing they did on multiple occassions, but I know for a fact that this current iteration under Arteta are far more memorable than any of those teams.
Ultimately people remember good football and competing for trophies. It's the competition in the league and champions league that makes football enjoyable.
Our 2010 season was a much better season to watch us than 2004, despite not winning a trophy, and its far more memorable.
I can barely remember the 2016 FA Cup win, in fact I try to forget that season and last season, because of how much they made me despise watching us play. No cup win can mask the fact that as fans we sat through 9 months of some of the consistently worst football we've ever seen from this club.

This is why Ten Hag bringing up trophies at every turn is so disrespectful. How can any self respecting manager look at last season as anything short of an abject failure, cup win or not. He should be in a consistent state of apology, yet he's arrogantly peacocking whilst letting his players consistently cop the blame for poor performances.

city won the EFL Cup 4 years in a row once

Liverpool have won it twice out of the last three years and Klopp clearly enjoyed both.

Mourinho’s Chelsea routinely got to later stages of both cups. Often winning them.

Our rivals clearly enjoy winning these things which is why a "lesser club" hasn't had any domestic success since Leicester won the FA Cup in 2021.

I keep saying this but for all Arsenal's progress in recent seasons. They have nothing to show for it. Nobody will remember their 2nd place finishes in 10 years.
It’s hard for any non-top 6 teams to win it as nowadays they have such deep teams with quality all over the place that even playing second string team is usually enough. City’s second team is probably still top 4 quality.

Beyond that it’s silly but some of the mid-table teams seem to genuinely not care about the League Cup much these days, fielding weakened teams in early rounds. I seem to even recall Nottingham resting a few players in a semifinal against us because they seemed to care more about staying up in the league than getting to a final.

I disagree with this, it is more than a very good achievement for the middle pack teams. People say they are nice to have it or mickey mouse clearly doing a injustice to the FA cup. There is very good evidence behind this. Since 1992, apart from Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manutd and City, only 4 clubs have won the FA cup. In 32 years, the FA cup is won by the bigger team, which shows the importance given to it.

The League cup, since 2004, only 2 clubs have won it outside those teams, Swansea and Birmingham.

I don’t understand where you are getting the narrative that Ten Hag wants us to be a mid table team because numerous times after winning the cup, he has said it wasn’t good enough, he wants to be higher in the league.
I did say FA Cup is a great achievement for them, League Cup being very good.

Well he did consider last season to be good, seems completely fine with mid table and a cup. He’s also shot down our title ambitions at one point I seem to recall, saying we are very far from that.

Last edited:
I remember Liverpool's 09 more favourably than any pre-Klopp season that came after that despite winning trophies.
I can't even remember Arsenal winning the FA Cup in the 2010's despite knowing they did on multiple occassions, but I know for a fact that this current iteration under Arteta are far more memorable than any of those teams.
Ultimately people remember good football and competing for trophies. It's the competition in the league and champions league that makes football enjoyable.
Our 2010 season was a much better season to watch us than 2004, despite not winning a trophy, and its far more memorable.
I can barely remember the 2016 FA Cup win, in fact I try to forget that season and last season, because of how much they made me despise watching us play. No cup win can mask the fact that as fans we sat through 9 months of some of the consistently worst football we've ever seen from this club.

This is why Ten Hag bringing up trophies at every turn is so disrespectful. How can any self respecting manager look at last season as anything short of an abject failure, cup win or not. He should be in a consistent state of apology, yet he's arrogantly peacocking whilst letting his players consistently cop the blame for poor performances.

Agreed, plus to those comparing...Arteta won an FA Cup too, so really we have a carabao over them in terms of trophies while they have been super close the title and regularly in the CL. I think most United fans (bar the staunch Ten Hag defenders) would prefer to have been in title races than having won 1 carabao and barely made Europe. They are in an infinitely better position than us and Arteta has done an infinitely better job than Ten Hag, coming from further behind the top teams and I assume has spent a fair bit less. What is the comparison?

city won the EFL Cup 4 years in a row once

Liverpool have won it twice out of the last three years and Klopp clearly enjoyed both.

Mourinho’s Chelsea routinely got to later stages of both cups. Often winning them.

Our rivals clearly enjoy winning these things which is why a "lesser club" hasn't had any domestic success since Leicester won the FA Cup in 2021.

I keep saying this but for all Arsenal's progress in recent seasons. They have nothing to show for it. Nobody will remember their 2nd place finishes in 10 years.
You do know Arteta has won the FA cup as well?

We barely have two fit FBs and he decides to use one of those (who's even been struggling with heart issues) as a #10. The stupidity knows no bounds.

He really doesn't do himself any favours with these decisions and team selections does he?

We barely have two fit FBs and he decides to use one of those (who's even been struggling with heart issues) as a #10. The stupidity knows no bounds.

It beggars belief and its hard to give him the benefit of doubt considering his avaliable options.

I agree that Ten Hag isn’t good enough and the performances have not been good for a long time. We have not improved, I will not use last season as a metric to start judging our results on, because most people said those results / performances were due to mitigating circumstances. Which means, you do not account for those.

Instead, I will ignore last season as a one off and put my argument as following: 3rd season with a lot of money spent, I want to see control, possession control, out of possession control. I want to be able to go into games knowing the opponent is getting a max of 3 chances in most instances. This is not happening and we are conceding way too many chances.

Now, you have said one of the main reason is because of the manager, whilst I agree, your theory falls flat on its face because we have given every manager money and we are not in a position to compete for PL CL under any of them.

What managers have turned lesser squads into regularly competing for the PL and CL? I would like to know this as well. If you could give me a few examples?

It only falls flat on its face if we have a record of hiring the best managers, and we don’t.

Moyes, a past his best LVG, a past his best Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick, Ten Hag. Do you honestly think that is a list of elite managers at the top of their game?

Emery has transformed Villa from a mid table team into a team that is competing in the top four and now in the CL, in the same time Ten Hag has had turning Utd into a mid table team.

So I wasn’t the only one who thought this was completely bonkers? What about playing players in their position? Amad could play centrally; Eriksen could play there; Zirkzee could play there; thus it makes sense to play one of two fullbacks in that position and move one of our three fit CBs in the fullback role where he isn’t that comfortable?

If he wins, fair enough. If not, he’s s just a fool.

I’m sure Mazraoui will not be playing #10. We are playing 5 at the back, trying to contain a difficult opposition away from home and snatch a point - or even three if we are lucky.

We are so fecking horrible, how are people still managing to excuse him?!
The time for statistics and analysis is over and it's been over for a while.
We are just absolutely terrible!

Can’t put together few passes with any assertion at all, 3rd season into his coaching… I am speechless !

I’m sure Mazraoui will not be playing #10. We are playing 5 at the back, trying to contain a difficult opposition away from home and snatch a point - or even three if we are lucky.

Apart from the fact that he clearly is playing at 10, Ten Hag literally told us in his pre match interview that was where he would be playing:

“ we bring Noussair Mazraoui in the 10 position … I know him from before, sometimes Ajax have played him there … also in our system as a full-back he is sometimes playing in those half-spaces so he is capable of doing this job … he can do good pressing”

I just hate this idea Ten Hag has of letting the opposition have more of the ball then we basically try to force them to make mistakes.
We end up making the mistakes

Apart from the fact that he clearly is playing at 10, Ten Hag literally told us in his pre match interview that was where he would be playing:

“ we bring Noussair Mazraoui in the 10 position … I know him from before, sometimes Ajax have played him there … also in our system as a full-back he is sometimes playing in those half-spaces so he is capable of doing this job … he can do good pressing”
I didn’t see the interview, my comment was made before the game. Didn’t think we would actually play a full back at 10 while having players that are actually natural there.

He’s clearly a 10 today. :lol:

I didn’t see the interview, my comment was made before the game. Didn’t think we would actually play a full back at 10 while having players that are actually natural there.

He’s clearly a 10 today. :lol:

Haha, I know right, trying to second guess ‘Ten Hag logic’ is nigh on impossible.

Me: with Bruno out, it'll be nice to see how someone like Amad or Zirkzee does as our 10 for a game.

ten Hag: plays our RB there.

I really like Mazraoui, and can definitely see that he has the attributes to be considered as an option there if needs be, but still. With Zirkzee, okay, he may want to give Holjund a rest so he slots back in as our 9, but he must really have no faith in Amad.

Me: with Bruno out, it'll be nice to see how someone like Amad or Zirkzee does as our 10 for a game.

ten Hag: plays our RB there.

I really like Mazraoui, and can definitely see that he has the attributes to be considered as an option there if needs be, but still. With Zirkzee, okay, he may want to give Holjund a rest so he slots back in as our 9, but he must really have no faith in Amad.
Which is strange considering Amad started the season relatively well and has done no worse than the others.

Look forward to seeing Antony come on over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.