Casemiro Brazil flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Quite obviously a brillant footballer. Just a bit past his best. Sadly, once Bruno is back in midfield we will be as open as usual

Like Bruno he will give the ball away at times. But at other times he was key to getting the ball forward quickly with a cutting edge that got us into dangerous positions. Its give and take, he likes to risk losing the ball to play a dangerous pass
I think the major flaw of this team and club is we treat sloppy losses of possession as no big deal. The best teams just simply don't inexplicably lose the ball at the same rate we do, and it's one of the reasons we're miles behind them.

Players have dozens of contributions throughout a game, of course there's going to be good passes and good moments in there. The frequency of the bad contributions are worrying though, we have a team full of players with very questionable ball retention and decision making and it's why we're such a messy team to watch, and our results suffer for it. It seems our fans judge performances based on the best moments only, without much thought as to how having a team full of turnover machines is hindering us.

He did well today overall to be fair, we were more compact and doubled up on players and it allowed him to make good tackles.

Really good today, especially offensive. A couple of situations where he struggled defensively, but his forward passes was just brilliant. His best games since the 22/23 season.

I had mentioned a couple weeks back how Casemiro could still do a good job in a proper system specially if we play 3 at the back and folks were quick to jump to conclusions and right him off but today he showed he still can play a decent role if he’s protected well..

If we don’t end up finding a buyer for him, I’m less worried now than I was when the last season came to an end..

Specially if the Licha as inverted fullback rumours are true as well..

I think the major flaw of this team and club is we treat sloppy losses of possession as no big deal. The best teams just simply don't inexplicably lose the ball at the same rate we do, and it's one of the reasons we're miles behind them.

Players have dozens of contributions throughout a game, of course there's going to be good passes and good moments in there. The frequency of the bad contributions are worrying though, we have a team full of players with very questionable ball retention and decision making and it's why we're such a messy team to watch, and our results suffer for it. It seems our fans judge performances based on the best moments only, without much thought as to how having a team full of turnover machines is hindering us.

He did well today overall to be fair, we were more compact and doubled up on players and it allowed him to make good tackles.

I think last season and against teams we should be beating true - but today was the right balance with 84% pass accuracy for him and 75% for Fernandes. We found the passes to hurt them and could have scored 2 or 3 more goals despite having a lot less of the ball

City arent a team that we're going to have lots of the ball against and break them down when they're set in position, we had to force some counters and give up the ball at times

In a traditional midfield, Casemiro is fantastic. Even at this point in his career, his experience would be invaluable.

But whether we play a more balanced style this year, or the Hail Mary style of last year will determine how successful he can be.

Casemiro was better yesterday but he still can't help himself with diving in and over committing to tackles. It makes it so easy for players to get past him. That's a fundamental flaw for an experienced player playing as a defensive midfielder.

I wouldn't get carried away by yesterday's match at all. It was City's B team and even then we were playing behind the ball counter football. If the idea is for us to be playing more expansive football Casemiro will be badly exposed as he was last season. We really need one more splurge from the Saudis to bail us out.

In a traditional midfield, Casemiro is fantastic. Even at this point in his career, his experience would be invaluable.

But whether we play a more balanced style this year, or the Hail Mary style of last year will determine how successful he can be.

That's why I don't judge him harshly on last season.

The managers tactics were atrocious and no midfielder would've looked good playing under him.

If ten Hag goes with an improved system, Cas will do well as will many other players.

If he goes with the primary school tactics of last season, he'll be sacked by December.

He looks lean, much more like his old self but still looks like he's lost a yard of pace since we signed him.
I was thinking about that yesterday that he looks better than last year. He looks more fit and more mobile. He looks like he lost some weight to over the summer.

He too slow on the turn to be a #6. We need a quick #6 (later maybe Collyear) who could work alongside him and Mainoo if we use Bruno as a false 9
but I hope we keep as he offers a threat going forward

I was thinking about that yesterday that he looks better than last year. He looks more fit and more mobile. He looks like he lost some weight to over the summer.
Hope you’re right! I only saw the second half and I saw him chasing people around without getting near to them and passing the ball directly to city players.

I kept telling myself last year that he’s a bit like Rooney and needs a run of games to get up to speed but we never got there.

Hopefully, if he is in better condition, that can really happen this year. My word do we need it unless we get some reinforcements!

Good game yesterday. Makes me hope if we are organised defensively then he wouldn’t be a bad option to keep around seeing as he’s likely to stay

Put on a proper shift yesterday. The grill catch up with him, but he excelled against a highly motivated City side yesterday.

So much was wrong about last season. Sale going on, the biggest injury crisis ever, no consistency. Its not out of the question to think if we get a regular squad around to help him, he's got a lot left in the tank. He was so good yesterday. Back to his best. We need to hope he has a consistent level of performance, because (as cliché as it sounds) he's a new signing. Its an option that in May we thought was gone forever.

Played very well yesterday and gave a lot of renewed hope for the season ahead but we absolutely cannot go into the season with him as a guaranteed starter.

We need a semi decent DM (I’d honestly even take Amrabat at this point) just to keep him on his toes and bring in if he’s showing the same stinking form as last year (or for when he gets his customary 3 match ban)

If he consistently plays like yesterday he should be our starting DM next season it’s just a massive if.

I wonder if we got Ugarte if it would help Casemiro rather than a being a straight swap like most people seem to think will happen. Casemiro does have an eye for a forward pass, especially on a quick transition, and the two of them would make the midfield a lot tougher for teams to get through while also take some of the pressure off Mainoo who is still learning.

You cant fluke fitness and awareness like he had yesterday. If you could, I might still be able to make it!
Casemiro is actually known for his exceptional fitness. I read a few articles about a year ago about how Casemiro not only trains very hard but he follows a strict fitness regime year round, employing a personal chef to curate everything he puts in his body and is incredibly disciplined with his health. He’s going to age and decline, naturally, but I think the reports of his decline last season were premature and purely based on the shambles of a doughnut formation we played with no one in midfield. If Case is asked to play as he has played for his entire career, as a deep defensive midfielder, I believe he still has loads to give and will be a key player for us this season.

I was heartened by how compact we looked yesterday. I am starting to believe we might play a proper 4-2-3-1 this season with double pivots. Mainoo and Casemiro are two, and I would hope Ugarte is another. The fourth will be either Eriksen or McTominay. Last year our midfielders were asked to play as almost auxiliary forwards, which was madness. And noticeably changed when Wilcox came in and imposed some sense on to the style of play.

I expect much more thorough organisation and compactness this season. And with a fit Martinez, De Ligt and eventually Yoro, the ability to play a higher line and compact the distances between the lines much more than we saw last year.

All this is to say, Casemiro will be a pleasant surprise for us all this season IF we play a proper formation.

Hopefully we sign another DM so we can manage Casemiro's minutes, we can't play him week in week out anymore.

That would keep him fresh for the games he comes in.

He needs to cut out the terrible passing though

The key with Casemiro is having the other midfielder sitting relatively close to him and staying compact. He’s at his worst when he gets exposed 1 v 1. Hopefully the tactical tweak persists.

He is also probably our best passer after Bruno in a creative sense, but obviously misplaces some poorly.
I think we need him in the squad even if we sign Ugarte because the latter isn’t a great progressive passer.

He looks more effective further forward for us to be honest. His passing range is his biggest strength at this point in his career, and if he’s going to give it away I’d rather him do it in forward areas.

I didn’t expect to be saying this about Casemiro when we signed him but yeah, I think he needs a 6 next to him rather than being the 6.

He looks more effective further forward for us to be honest. His passing range is his biggest strength at this point in his career, and if he’s going to give it away I’d rather him do it in forward areas.

I didn’t expect to be saying this about Casemiro when we signed him but yeah, I think he needs a 6 next to him rather than being the 6.
I agree. I see him as a backup for both Kobbie and Bruno with Toby as back up for the new DM

Had a really good game. Gives me some hope going into the season as it doesn't look like he will be sold.

My issues with him last season, were two fold. On the ball he was wasteful. He was making errors with his short passing and continued to force longer passes even when they would go awry. I'm hoping a good start to the season and boost in confidence can help with this.

Defensively, Casemiro would gamble a lot... and lose. I understand people blame tactics for it, and I think there is partial truth in that. However, he needs to do a better job defending 1v1. We've seen it already in pre-season, even on the edge of his box. That isn't tactical. I do wonder if the disciplinary issues he had in his first season have played a part. Before he would jump in to tackles, and take the man, if he couldn't get the ball. Last season he wasn't getting close to either.

I don't see a remedy to this. An improved defence, pushing higher would help. Controlling possession more would also limit the amount of defending he needs to do on transition. Having our other midfielder sit deeper would help, but also hinder our attack as well as our counter press. All these "solutions" are masking the issue rather than fixing the core problem. We also saw some of these implemented in pre-season and Casemiro still wasn't great.

Signing another proper defensive midfielder before the window closes would be huge. Take the pressure off Casemiro and allow him to play with more freedom.

Can be very good for us this season. Him and Collyer have the DM position covered IMO.
We actually need a creative midfielder more IMO, it's the one thing Kobbie lacks in his game.

Wondering if "Ugarte--Bruno--Casemiro" midfield trio works when Mainoo needs some rest, Case playing no-8 role than 6.

Casemiro is actually known for his exceptional fitness. I read a few articles about a year ago about how Casemiro not only trains very hard but he follows a strict fitness regime year round, employing a personal chef to curate everything he puts in his body and is incredibly disciplined with his health. He’s going to age and decline, naturally, but I think the reports of his decline last season were premature and purely based on the shambles of a doughnut formation we played with no one in midfield. If Case is asked to play as he has played for his entire career, as a deep defensive midfielder, I believe he still has loads to give and will be a key player for us this season.

I was heartened by how compact we looked yesterday. I am starting to believe we might play a proper 4-2-3-1 this season with double pivots. Mainoo and Casemiro are two, and I would hope Ugarte is another. The fourth will be either Eriksen or McTominay. Last year our midfielders were asked to play as almost auxiliary forwards, which was madness. And noticeably changed when Wilcox came in and imposed some sense on to the style of play.

I expect much more thorough organisation and compactness this season. And with a fit Martinez, De Ligt and eventually Yoro, the ability to play a higher line and compact the distances between the lines much more than we saw last year.

All this is to say, Casemiro will be a pleasant surprise for us all this season IF we play a proper formation.
The first bit makes me wonder what happened last Summer because I felt he came back looking in awful shape and that in a way set the tone for his whole season, with the fiasco of what happened on Cup Final day topping it off. Admittedly, the team shape and form wouldn't have helped him one bit either.

He's here now probably more by luck than design as I'm sure we'd have accepted a suitable bid this summer. That being said I thought he was, for the most part, superb in 22/23 and hopefully with a summer of rest (I read he hasn't had one of those for years), reflection and the team lining up better formation wise, we see something of a return to that form.

Saturday was definitely a decent start. He looked in good shape and played well.

The first bit makes me wonder what happened last Summer because I felt he came back looking in awful shape and that in a way set the tone for his whole season, with the fiasco of what happened on Cup Final day topping it off. Admittedly, the team shape and form wouldn't have helped him one bit either.

He's here now probably more by luck than design as I'm sure we'd have accepted a suitable bid this summer. That being said I thought he was, for the most part, superb in 22/23 and hopefully with a summer of rest (I read he hasn't had one of those for years), reflection and the team lining up better formation wise, we see something of a return to that form.

Saturday was definitely a decent start. He looked in good shape and played well.

If I'm trying to be hopeful, maybe he'd just become disillusioned with the state of the club as the ownership saga dragged on (and he become increasingly exposed to the fools in charge at the time) and lost a bit of motivation - and perhaps now he sees we have serious football people running the club and wants to refocus.

I've been one of his biggest critics, and he was beyond dreadful last season - but it's been reported by The Athletic that he was not impressed with the manage - you could easily extend this to frustration the overall set-up. I put this down at the time to him making excuses for his own decline, but say he did truly have misgivings and had an eye on an exit it could have impacted performance. It's not forgivable, but it could mean he has another quality season in him if he regains focus.

Wondering if "Ugarte--Bruno--Casemiro" midfield trio works when Mainoo needs some rest, Case playing no-8 role than 6.
It wouldn't surprise me if that ended up our go-to midfield in big away games like Arsenal, Liverpool, City. Casemiro does very well when he gets forward and his diving in is less of an issue if he has a midfielder covering behind him.

Man Utd 1:0 Fulham New
I like this version of Casemiro very much - nice pasess, winning headers left and right, taking shoots and some time wasting shithousery in added time.

Stay clear of red cards and injuries, get time to get match fit and match rhythm and he will be a credit.

Did well. Maybes there's life in the old dog yet