Casemiro Brazil flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
If he's gonna play like this it'd be better if he brought back his first season disciplinary record.

He's absolutely fine physically, but he plays with such an incredible amount of immaturity it's unbelievable. Last season Kobbie Mainoo, the teenager, had to calm him down on several occasions.

Casemiro's body was never the problem, so I don't buy the "we needed legs" thing at all." His head is just completely gone. It has been for a long time.
He runs like he has skiboots on. As soon as the pace and pressing quality went up a notch, it was like putting a spotlight on it. As long as we play preseason games he is fine. As long as we play bottom half teams just happy to avoid relegation fights, like Fulham, he is fine. Against teams that give him little time on the ball? Skiboots.

Bad game, cost us any chance of competing but he will be a key player for the rest of the season so expect to see a lot more of him

This was an all time stinker. This game will be brought up ten years from now as one of the worst games from one of our players.

The sad part is there's no guarantee this will be his worst performance this season.

Would it be more productive to pay him and cancel the contract? Ten hag will pick him while he's still here

How many years has he got left?

Bringing him off at half time for a youth teamer really is a new low.

Never saw him trying to play balls like that at Madrid, it’s almost like they knew how to use him. No idea why he’s being asked to do shit like that for us.

He is done as a top level player but that's not his fault, it happens to everybody eventually. Its really Ten Hag's fault for putting a player like him into the middle of a tactical system in which errors by the CDM leave the team totally exposed. The first goal came off a terrible pass by Casemiro, but what really stands out is that both fullbacks are pushed so high already and both other midfielders are ahead of the ball as well. So one poor pass gets made in midfield and now Liverpool has a 5 v 3, which unsurprisingly leads to a free header at the back post.

The second goal really shouldn't have been that threatening of a situation. Casemiro gets tackled but that happens a lot and United have six men back to defend against three or four. Its really just shit penalty box defending more than anything, especially from Martinez.

He's absolutely fine physically, but he plays with such an incredible amount of immaturity it's unbelievable. Last season Kobbie Mainoo, the teenager, had to calm him down on several occasions.

Casemiro's body was never the problem, so I don't buy the "we needed legs" thing at all." His head is just completely gone. It has been for a long time.
No disrespect but that's clearly the problem. He doesn't have the legs to keep up and its costing him. Because of this, he's slower when he actually has the ball and he's making the wrong decision or isn't capable of making one. His head is not what it was, he's just not quick enough in his decision making anymore.

That was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a United player. I really hope Ten Hag does not start him in a big game again.

He's definitely not the player he was but ETH has done him no favours in the way he's set us up- it's just super high risk and we clearly don't have the players for it as a consistent tactic at this level. At the end of the day as things stand we're going to likely need to use Casemiro over this season and so ETH needs to find a way of playing that doesn't leave us so open where even a younger player would struggle to make the recoveries needed when we're losing position so deep in our half.

Lesson learnt from this signing is to not buy any more Real Madrid players as they rarely sell players unless they are well past their best.

He's far from physically fine, he's fitter than the average bloke sure but for a professional footballer he's lost the yard or so that used to see him win the ball, and that goes a long way to his poor decision making as he tries to compensate.

I posted the below in pre-season.

Physical decline causes issues on the ball too. How slow he is definitely contributed to him losing the ball for the 2nd goal. There was also a instance in the first half where he had control of the ball and suddenly he was in a 50/50 because of how long it took him to get a pass away and he just blasted it at the Liverpool player and it bounced back to Onana. He plays a lot of first time passes because he doesn't trust himself to take a touch and get a pass away before the opposition player is on top of him, as it takes him so long to execute and release a pass. And the rushed first time passes leads to more turnovers.

When people talk about speed they only think about top speed over a medium-longer distance. Speed also encapsulates acceleration, reflexes, reaction time and speed of execution with the ball.

His body cannot react quick enough to a loose ball in midfield, or a change of direction of the opponent.

Every time he receives and passes the ball now it's rushed because to turn and play a pass takes him longer than it used to. Which is why his passing is now more sloppy than ever. Every pass he makes is under pressure because it takes him so long to get set and execute the pass.

There was nothing high risk in the setup about the errors he made today. Especially the first one where we have possession of the ball, we are supposed to push the fullbacks up

The second one we had our backline back for. All seems to me like people have already made their mind up about the setup and are making excuses. He made 2 very stupid errors the first especially your team will likely concede every time

Never saw him trying to play balls like that at Madrid, it’s almost like they knew how to use him. No idea why he’s being asked to do shit like that for us.
No one's asking him to play passes that aren't on. He's never been the one tidy in possession. He had Kroos and Modric for that.

Then why’s he doing it for us? It’s how the manager wants to play.
I don't know, but our manager isn't asking him to give the ball away cheaply. You can ask someone to move the ball forward quickly and expect they don't just pass it straight to the opposition.

That was diabolical. Both goals of the first half were fully on him. Sooner we get ugarte used to his new role, the better

I’m not surprised after it all went to shit, no one was doing much at that point but this stuff is happening most weeks and it can’t all be ‘individual error’.
It didn’t happen this season till today?
And usually when it happened last season it was either Casemiro or Bruno. Two player who are careless with the ball

Disagree with the general argument here of whether its a case of him being done physically or its stupidity mentally.....is no argument, its both.

He has looked fitter thanlast season but all thre games there have been manyi nstances of him being caught a yard off the pace. But because he was playing ok compared to last year, people were actually talking him up again...Physicallynowehere near the player of his first season....and I think that is part of the mental issue. Often trying to do things to quikly to make up for it which brings pressue and sloppyness.

He can still bea very good player in a weaker league, but i terms ofthe premiership he is totally done now, even with someone like Ugarte alongside him

He runs like he has skiboots on. As soon as the pace and pressing quality went up a notch, it was like putting a spotlight on it. As long as we play preseason games he is fine. As long as we play bottom half teams just happy to avoid relegation fights, like Fulham, he is fine. Against teams that give him little time on the ball? Skiboots.
This doesn't move the needle at all, it's a poor post really.

No disrespect but that's clearly the problem. He doesn't have the legs to keep up and its costing him. Because of this, he's slower when he actually has the ball and he's making the wrong decision or isn't capable of making one. His head is not what it was, he's just not quick enough in his decision making anymore.

That was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a United player. I really hope Ten Hag does not start him in a big game again.
This is better, but it sort of merges the physical and mental at the start before tentatively admitting that the problem is not entirely physical.

Physical decline causes issues on the ball too. How slow he is definitely contributed to him losing the ball for the 2nd goal. There was also a instance in the first half where he had control of the ball and suddenly he was in a 50/50 because of how long it took him to get a pass away and he just blasted it at the Liverpool player and it bounced back to Onana. He plays a lot of first time passes because he doesn't trust himself to take a touch and get a pass away before the opposition player is on top of him, as it takes him so long to execute and release a pass. And the rushed first time passes leads to more turnovers.
This is a really good post that makes me rethink a bit. I still maintain that Casemiro not knowing where the feck he is is the main problem, but this puts that into some context with regard to it.

I'm lost for words about his performence today but I think he was not the only one having a nightmare. I would say that Mainoo was equal today in that non existent central midfield.

That was one of the saddest "he should retire after this" game I have ever seen. Worse than Neville vs West Brom. And the guy is only 32 ffs

What makes this even more frustrating is that despite being so poor he manages to play more creative passes and be a goal threat than most of our attackers.

It wasn't even his lack of legs that primarily let him down today. Just brain-dead decision making and lack of awareness.

Then why’s he doing it for us? It’s how the manager wants to play.

Because he needs 3-4 seconds to make a decision and make a pass, it's how he got robbed of the ball for the second goal, and how he attempted to play first-time pass for the first goal we conceded.

Rodri, when he came in the PL said that he was most surprised with how fast the game was going around him, and how little time he had on the ball, even when he was playing against lesser opposition, how fast he had to think about the next move, in like a second or two. One of the ways Casemiro is trying to accommodate this is by playing first-time passes, something he rarely did for Real, as he had Kroos for that.

Yeah that's basically what I was trying to get at, but I was on mobile at a family get together and had to post quickly before I had to go help with something. :lol:

It's bang on though, physical conditioning is important for decision making too, tired minds are slow to process etc for starters, but on top of that he knows he's lost a step and gets panicky on the ball - now he's either releasing too early like for their first goal, or effectively freezing while on the ball like he did for their second (or when he just gave up on the ball near the touchline, which was one of the worst passages of play I've seen from a PL player).

He's done, we need to get Ugarte fit ASAP and rely on Collyer until then.

(or when he just gave up on the ball near the touchline, which was one of the worst passages of play I've seen from a PL player).
:lol: I actually forgot about that.

I had flashbacks to Fellaini running the ball 40 yards straight out for a throw in. It was that level of comical.

This doesn't move the needle at all, it's a poor post really.

This is better, but it sort of merges the physical and mental at the start before tentatively admitting that the problem is not entirely physical.

This is a really good post that makes me rethink a bit. I still maintain that Casemiro not knowing where the feck he is is the main problem, but this puts that into some context with regard to it.
It's not just physical. Most players lose their legs as they get older but their 'head' and cleverness could be still there, they just can't do it physically in my opinion. Every player is different.

My point was in reference to your original post where you said his problem wasn't physically. I genuinely think it's both. At that level it takes less than a sec to make a wrong decision. Whether its to make a run or a step to the left of right or make a pass to a player making a run.

So perhaps mentally he's a little slow and he doesn't have the legs physically to make what he wanted to do work right. It's a problem for him in both ways.