Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I think a midfield of Ugarte, Mainoo and Eriksen would be very competitive even against the top teams. Just imagine Eriksen playing that pass that Casemiro tried against Liverpool. It just wouldn't happen.
We would be great in possession
and Mainoo and Ugarte would have the legs to stop us being overrun.

I think the Mazraoui addition is a huge help in keeping the ball against the top teams. Full backs are just as important in the possession battle.

Spurs managed it when Eriksen was there and they got to a CL final. He wasn't some midfield dynamo back then like some on here must imagine.

Tottenham would be a good test for the trio. We'll see I guess.
We don't know that. As positive as some signs have been, there wasn't much pressure on the system yet. And lets face it, we aren't talking about a well drilled machine here but a tender flower. When big teams come up against us, they'll have a plan. Also midfield battles usually aren't really 3vs3 midfielders, but involve temporary drifting players from other areas like Fullbacks, Wingers or strikers. And this is where other teams had multiple years of advantage to us and while we seemingly are catching up, I think people made comparable claims two years ago. Where we played decent stuff some times when everybody was motivation and the conditions were good.

We don't know that. As positive as some signs have been, there wasn't much pressure on the system yet. And lets face it, we aren't talking about a well drilled machine here but a tender flower. When big teams come up against us, they'll have a plan. Also midfield battles usually aren't really 3vs3 midfielders, but involve temporary drifting players from other areas like Fullbacks, Wingers or strikers. And this is where other teams had multiple years of advantage to us and while we seemingly are catching up, I think people made comparable claims two years ago. Where we played decent stuff some times when everybody was motivation and the conditions were good.
The Palace game was a huge improvement from where we were last year. Mid table teams outplayed us constantly last year. Sometimes we snuck a result but the modus operandi was us getting spanked by middling Premier League opponents.

I did make that point that other positions especially full backs play a huge role in possession battles. On that front we have added Amad, Zirkzee, Mazraoui, Ugarte and De ligt and have refound Eriksen. We have vastly superior possession players compared with 2 years ago. Don't you agree?

Excellent post. We are now playing decent football, something that we all expect to see on game-to-game basis, and even if that's far from what we want to see, it's still a huge improvement over the last season. The problem with last season is we performed way below the squad level so under no circumstances that should be used as a baseline for this season.

Another possibility is we just got better players on the pitch and whatever the style/instructions are, we are just playing better football. Whether that is sustainable under severe pressure we are yet to find out.

What I find interesting is having less athletic players on the pitch (no Casemiro, Hojlund, McTominay, even Mount) doesn't seem to hurt us in any way so far.

What I find interesting is having less athletic players on the pitch (no Casemiro, Hojlund, McTominay, even Mount) doesn't seem to hurt us in any way so far.
Genuine technique tends to beat physicality — though of course the elite teams have both.

I think it comes more down to good decision making that can be relied upon over technique. You can have all the technique in the world, but if you aren't making the right decision for the team then you will still be a hindrance.

Well if we hadnt spaffed the ball away so much we may have created chances in the second half and won the game.

Has finishing isn't great these days as well
We had enough chances to win that game to be honest, him included. I'm not denying it was poor, but I don't think it was a droppable performance and I expect him to be better against Spurs.
The fact that we're creating 16 chances with Bruno in the team and he's only involved in 2 of them shows that we can create chances without him in the team. It's really quite obvious.

And seeing as though that's his main thing it shows that we can move on without him.

And seeing as though he's missing lots of these chances it might help by replacing him with a better finisher.

And seeing as though he keeps losing the ball (34 times) and breaking down our attacks it stands to reason that his removal would increase our chance creation.
That's not really something you can say with great certainty as he is still part of a team that creates 16 chances, he directly created 2, but it's not like he was sat on his hands for the others.

It sort of seems like you're implying he does nothing and he's just being carried, which I don't think it right.

Garnacho and Zirkzee are missing just as many chances, I'm not advocating to replace them. I believe they both will do better, not that I have a great deal to back that up with. At least Bruno as always scored close to his xG.

Why does that stand to reason? As I said in another post, Eze lost the ball just as much per touch in that game, would Palace create more by removing him? He also missed some big chances.
We were also creating chances with Antony in the squad, and he was getting at the end of chances as well. I'm not comparing Bruno to Antony, but you see the logic here. It seems like you really don't see a reason to drop Bruno, while everybody else arguing you don't actually see a reason to keep playing him. The problem with Bruno is he's very often detrimental to our play (if you exclude the creativity part, which we've discussed a lot already). THAT is the problem.
Far less though and he was actually creating next to nothing, which was demonstrated in his stats. I do see your logic, but I it's not like he's creating nothing and giving the ball away, there always trade offs - everyone seem to be framing this as if there's zero trade off to dropping him. I think people have a rosy idea of what will happen if he's out the side, out of hope. We're not going to turn into a possession dominant team, creating loads of chances, just by switching Bruno.
That was against a very poor Crystal Palace. Better teams will not let us dominate them as easily as they did, as we have already seen this season. You're right, having someone creative isn't relying on moments, but Bruno is a moments player. I don't think that's a secret. He can be fairly invisible throughout a match and then score a match winning goal or have an assist, but that is most definitely not enough for a title aspiring team. And this is coming from a long time admirer of Bruno, I just think he is going through a decline now and to me it is clear as day he isn't the same player as he used to be.
We spent a huge amount of time trying to win the ball back in a lot of games, it didn't happen against Palace for various reasons, but you probably remember Brighton in the second half. We need to start controlling the match, especially when it doesn't come at the cost of creativity.

Funny you said my definition of creativity is narrow, when the point I was trying to make was that your definition of it was narrow. I thought you were one of the posters that seems to think that chances created equals creativity. Mount is more creative than he gets credit for, it just doesn't show up on the statistics. His ability to receive on the half turn is the best in the team bar maybe Mainoo, and he is very intelligent with his passing and movement. He knows when to hold on to the ball and when to release it. That is not to say that he would be responsible for creating chances, but we could potentially be better in other areas of the game that would make the team as a whole more creative.

We are also creating chances without him, and playing him as our 10 comes at the cost of weakening us in crucial parts of the game. So, if we're able to attack efficiently without him, why do we absolutely need him? Like you said, a problem we have is finishing, so maybe drop Zirkzee in the 10 and Højlund as our striker? I'm not saying it will definitely work, but it is worth trying because right now, the goals aren't there.
Of course, but Eriksen, who's supposed to be potential replacement hasn't shown he can perform against bigger teams - he nearly always get run over. We'll see if it is a true decline, I'm not so sure, but you could be right.
I personally think we've been extremely good at winning the ball back higher up the pitch with our defenders (as I sort of expected with De ligt, Martinez and Mazraoui) and they can also keep the ball, drawing teams on. I am all for controlling the match if we don't see a significant drop off in creativity, I'm just no so sure we have the players to trade Bruno out so easily.

Ha, think we got our wires crossed there. I'm all for different types of creativity, that's a midfielder/winger with exceptional take on success or a progressive passer. They all do the same thing in gaining numerical supremacy (cringed at myself writing that, but only way I can describe it best), space and opportunities for others. Dribblers will have similar problems to Bruno if they don't beat their man, as it leaves you wide open for a counter, but Wirtz was a bit of an odd example for you to cite, as I think he'd be incredible and an upgrade on Bruno.

I see the argument, but I don't see him being the biggest factor in us not winning games, especially now with a very set back 4 that can play high. I personally think it's worth persisting with players that are getting chances, but not putting them away, especially as we're only 4-5 games into a season. I don't see a need for a big change - yet.

I see the argument, but I don't see him being the biggest factor in us not winning games, especially now with a very set back 4 that can play high. I personally think it's worth persisting with players that are getting chances, but not putting them away, especially as we're only 4-5 games into a season. I don't see a need for a big change - yet.
I think, the common ground could be reached when Bruno become part of the rotation and is subbed when he doesn't have a good game - something that didn't happen in the past, lets hope we'll see it when it is due.

I agree with you in not seeing us improving significantly just by getting rid of Bruno but at the same time, we cannot allow ourselves assumptions when there is no need to. We might as well just try it out. He just doesn't have to have that aura of being untouchable. Not a single player in that squad deserves that

That's not really something you can say with great certainty as he is still part of a team that creates 16 chances, he directly created 2, but it's not like he was sat on his hands for the others.

It sort of seems like you're implying he does nothing and he's just being carried, which I don't think it right.

Garnacho and Zirkzee are missing just as many chances, I'm not advocating to replace them. I believe they both will do better, not that I have a great deal to back that up with. At least Bruno as always scored close to his xG.

Why does that stand to reason? As I said in another post, Eze lost the ball just as much per touch in that game, would Palace create more by removing him? He also missed some big chances.
I think it is something i can say with great certainty. It would take a huge effort of imagination to believe that taking someone out of a team who created 2 of the teams 16 chances, would lead to that team not being able to create much. Especially considering that player was consistently misplacing simple passes.

I'm not implying he is being carried. I'm saying he has been the least productive player in the front 6 and seeing as though that's his only selling point, I don't see the problem with dropping him for a faster better finisher in Hojlund. Eriksen actually has a better pl assist rate for us than Bruno whilst playing deeper than him. Shocking but true.

Garnacho and Zirkzee are performing better than Bruno and that's why they should play ahead of him.

Context for Eze stats must come into this. Eze was losing the ball in a team that everybody accepts was being dominated. Bruno was losing the ball at a similar rate in a team doing the dominating. You must have seen the 30 second clip when he lost it 3 times. It's not from attempting difficult stuff, it's just poor play.

I actually think Bruno will benefit from becoming one of the squad rather than our undroppable captain.

Last edited:
I think, the common ground could be reached when Bruno become part of the rotation and is subbed when he doesn't have a good game - something that didn't happen in the past, lets hope we'll see it when it is due.

I agree with you in not seeing us improving significantly just by getting rid of Bruno but at the same time, we cannot allow ourselves assumptions when there is no need to. We might as well just try it out. He just doesn't have to have that aura of being untouchable. Not a single player in that squad deserves that
I agree, I think that would happen if there was an adequate replacement - Mount should be that, but he's perennially injured. Eyebrows were raised when Bruno was taken off against Brighton, so it's not like Ten Hag won't do it if he thinks it will help the team.

That's also true, if Hojlund and Mount were fit, that might have already happened with Zirkzee up to speed relatively quickly. Sadly the depth is lacking at the moment, but that should improve.

I think it is something i can say with great certainty. It would take a huge effort of imagination to believe that taking someone out of a team who created 2 of the teams 16 chances, would lead to that team not being able to create much. Especially considering that player was consistently misplacing simple passes.

I'm not implying he is being carried. I'm saying he has been the least productive player in the front 6 and seeing as though that's his only selling point, I don't see the problem with dropping him for a faster better finisher in Hojlund. Eriksen actually has a better pl assist rate for us than Bruno whilst playing deeper than him. Shocking but true.

Garnacho and Zirkzee are performing better than Bruno and that's why they should play ahead of him.

Context for Eze stats must come into this. Eze was losing the ball in a team that everybody accepts was being dominated. Bruno was losing the ball at a similar rate in a team doing the dominating. You must have seen the 30 second clip when he lost it 3 times. It's not from attempting difficult stuff, it's just poor play.

I actually think Bruno will benefit from becoming one of the squad rather than our undroppable captain.
Well if he has absolutely nothing to do with the 14 other chances created, which I highly doubt, sure.

They're pretty much all as unproductive as each other, he has 1 assist and Zirkzee has 1 goal. Garnacho and Amad is 1 goal and 1 assist. Hojlund came on against Palace and couldn't even control a ball into him properly, so I get the sentiment of someone new, but it's not exactly inspiring. It's not really, because he tends to not play in big games and Bruno plays all of them, that would obviously make his rate better.

Hardly by much though, output is poor throughout the front line.

Everything needs context, but you're happy to use stats like Eriksen's assist rate without it. Of course I saw it, that was bad. I also saw Zirkzee completely out of his depth against Liverpool and other examples of our players doing dumb shit. I think if he does that again against Spurs, fine, but I just dont believe he will. Like I believe our forwards will start to put away those chances - Bruno included.

He's only been undroppable because no one has out performed him. Everyone has the opportunity to push him out the side of he continues to miss chances and not create.

Anyway, I get you want him dropped and someone else to have a go. I think no one is fit enough to push him out the side yet, maybe we'll see someone midweek - hopefully Mount. I'll be surprised if anyone does though.

I agree, I think that would happen if there was an adequate replacement - Mount should be that, but he's perennially injured. Eyebrows were raised when Bruno was taken off against Brighton, so it's not like Ten Hag won't do it if he thinks it will help the team.
Yeah, I agree in principle, but the Brighton sub looked a little odd to me. As if something had been agreen on earlier or something. Also ETH very weird connection with McT. So I agree, we have seen this sub happening. But haven't seen it for a very long time and I don't trust one exception being a trend.
That's also true, if Hojlund and Mount were fit, that might have already happened with Zirkzee up to speed relatively quickly. Sadly the depth is lacking at the moment, but that should improve.
I think, it is important that we try to drag different topics away from each other to deal with them one by one. I agree with what you say, Bruno certainly is a freak of nature in terms of availability and workrate. And in Mount we seemingly have the exact opposite. The thing, I hoped that is being talked about is going beyond those personal topics but rather the ideas of play.
And hopefully(!!!) we do this across the board because I think, a very similar situation is unfolding with Eriksen now as well. Guy gets talked up beyond belief and some even expect him start tomorrow as well. In terms of planning for that attacking midfielder role, we really didn't do a very good job because one is always available but has the potential to stick out more and more the more technical and intricate the play around him gets, one is injury prone and one is the perfect sub to bring on in multiple situation yet the manager thinks has to start. Midfield really is a bit of hotch potch and while I understand why we couldn't do more I really hope we'll see new blood there.I think, we kind of missed a trick of at least trying to bed in Hannibal last season who, hearing from people knowing his style, would be great in that slightly forward 8 role (even though I do admit that he really didn't use the chances given to him). Hope that African kid goes on and maybe can get a few minutes, same with Gore. If that doesn't happen, next year we'll run into wall - with having most of our midfielders on the wrong side of 30.

(sorry for digress)
Anyway, I get you want him dropped and someone else to have a go. I think no one is fit enough to push him out the side yet, maybe we'll see someone midweek - hopefully Mount. I'll be surprised if anyone does though.
We might as well try with a 2 out of Casemiro, Ugarte, Mainoo plus Eriksen midfield. Lets not put ourselves into a corner when not necessary. We just have to try stuff and nobody should prevent that except that player is producing like crazy. And, but I can understand, that this is a bit polarizing, I'd even say players like Eriksen, Casemiro and Bruno have to show even a little more because they also have to fight the factor that they aren't going to be the future of our team.

Yeah, I agree in principle, but the Brighton sub looked a little odd to me. As if something had been agreen on earlier or something. Also ETH very weird connection with McT. So I agree, we have seen this sub happening. But haven't seen it for a very long time and I don't trust one exception being a trend.

I think, it is important that we try to drag different topics away from each other to deal with them one by one. I agree with what you say, Bruno certainly is a freak of nature in terms of availability and workrate. And in Mount we seemingly have the exact opposite. The thing, I hoped that is being talked about is going beyond those personal topics but rather the ideas of play.
And hopefully(!!!) we do this across the board because I think, a very similar situation is unfolding with Eriksen now as well. Guy gets talked up beyond belief and some even expect him start tomorrow as well. In terms of planning for that attacking midfielder role, we really didn't do a very good job because one is always available but has the potential to stick out more and more the more technical and intricate the play around him gets, one is injury prone and one is the perfect sub to bring on in multiple situation yet the manager thinks has to start. Midfield really is a bit of hotch potch and while I understand why we couldn't do more I really hope we'll see new blood there.I think, we kind of missed a trick of at least trying to bed in Hannibal last season who, hearing from people knowing his style, would be great in that slightly forward 8 role (even though I do admit that he really didn't use the chances given to him). Hope that African kid goes on and maybe can get a few minutes, same with Gore. If that doesn't happen, next year we'll run into wall - with having most of our midfielders on the wrong side of 30.

(sorry for digress)

We might as well try with a 2 out of Casemiro, Ugarte, Mainoo plus Eriksen midfield. Lets not put ourselves into a corner when not necessary. We just have to try stuff and nobody should prevent that except that player is producing like crazy. And, but I can understand, that this is a bit polarizing, I'd even say players like Eriksen, Casemiro and Bruno have to show even a little more because they also have to fight the factor that they aren't going to be the future of our team.
Our midfield situation looks okeyish to me, with one assumption - the system can't be build around one player that is expected to be a single creative force. In fact, if a system is build around a single player, it's no system at all. The point here is we should find a way to make the team balanced and spread creativity and even goal attempts around the team - not because it's easy to nullify this one player, but because there are up and downs in form and different teams have different weaknesses to exploit. Relying on one player means he has to deliver world class performances every week, that is unfair for any player who is not Messi/Ronaldo/Haaland/Mbappe level.

So, I don't think the question here is "who can replace Bruno and his creativity", rather "what do we need to make this team tick". Maybe with the emergence of Mainoo and the likes of Dalot/Mazra as fullbacks and Amad in this wide playmaker role, we don't actually need Bruno mk2, rather someone who will help to progress the ball and add some physicality to the team. Or different kind of player/whole setup. The point is, it's not like we CAN experiment, we NEED to experiment now.

If Bruno can play more conservatively for Portugal and like an asylum escape for United, it's because he's been enabled by ETH. I refuse to believe that if given the right instructions, that Bruno would still play this crazy brand of football. Even at United, I've seen him play more intelligently and more balanced so this is something he can definitely do. He just has too much freedom to do whatever the feck he wants

I really wish people would stop using the six nation league games he plays a year as any significant barometer. He plays under ten Hag how he has played his entire professional club career.

If Bruno can play more conservatively for Portugal and like an asylum escape for United, it's because he's been enabled by ETH. I refuse to believe that if given the right instructions, that Bruno would still play this crazy brand of football. Even at United, I've seen him play more intelligently and more balanced so this is something he can definitely do. He just has too much freedom to do whatever the feck he wants

He does not really though

I really wish people would stop using the six nation league games he plays a year as any significant barometer. He plays under ten Hag how he has played his entire professional club career.
Some of us have watched Portugal a lot longer. He plays different for Portugal - it's a fact. He doesn't try stupid risks in full knowledge that he'll always play, as he gets benched plenty for Portugal even though he's one of their key players.

I love how people are so quick to discard his performances for Portugal as if every top player just crushes it for their respective national team, when it's more often the opposite that is true.

Our midfield situation looks okeyish to me, with one assumption - the system can't be build around one player that is expected to be a single creative force. In fact, if a system is build around a single player, it's no system at all. The point here is we should find a way to make the team balanced and spread creativity and even goal attempts around the team - not because it's easy to nullify this one player, but because there are up and downs in form and different teams have different weaknesses to exploit. Relying on one player means he has to deliver world class performances every week, that is unfair for any player who is not Messi/Ronaldo/Haaland/Mbappe level.

So, I don't think the question here is "who can replace Bruno and his creativity", rather "what do we need to make this team tick". Maybe with the emergence of Mainoo and the likes of Dalot/Mazra as fullbacks and Amad in this wide playmaker role, we don't actually need Bruno mk2, rather someone who will help to progress the ball and add some physicality to the team. Or different kind of player/whole setup. The point is, it's not like we CAN experiment, we NEED to experiment now.
Yeah, agree to every point. Especially the bolded part. Maybe we don't HAVE TO for this season but for contingency.
That's my impression as well. To a degree, what he does on the pitch doesn't seem to be something that ETH has a problem is. Which is understandable (also to a degree) because we are talking about levels here but all in all I agree, the manager should step in - he can go all Bruno as long as he isn't part of the build up but when he plays a midfield role, then ETH has to alter his instructions. I tend to stop those experiments all together, just let him be the player he is but make sure he isn't making the match harder for his team mates while doing so.

He looked like a tactical problem for Portugal in the Euros to me too. They should have been much better than they were given the quality of player they have.

Replace Bruno with Casemiro and it's still true. There is a clear pattern here.

Both Bruno and Casemiro have been tasked to play high risk football since the start of last season.

For Portugal in his last game he played the full game and made 75 passes with 93% accuracy and lost possession 12 times
For us in his last game he played the full game and made 82 passes with 73% accuracy and lost possession 34 times

You could argue that it was only it was only Ireland they played so looking at their hardest Euro's game (France) he played 90 minutes and made 87 passes with 88% accuracy and lost possession 24 times which was higher but overall this demonstrates he plays a lot safer for Portugal, the difference is when he has Vitinha and Palinha behind him he plays riskier, when he has Neves and Felix (Last game) with him he plays more safely, which is clearly manager instructed

Replace Bruno with Casemiro and it's still true. There is a clear pattern here.

Both Bruno and Casemiro have been tasked to play high risk football since the start of last season.

The same cannot be said of Mount, Eriksen or Mainoo. I don't think its about what they are asked to do at all, especially since Casemiro has been dropped for it
Also when it comes to Bruno, for example against Palace his slopiness on the ball had little to do with bring more risky

I agree. I have never liked this playmaker version of Casemiro.
I actually don't mind him there as long as he's not a DM at the same time. This is purely suicidal if we do that and Bruno in his standard role on top of that.

Casemiro passing is quite good imo. He has vision and skills, it's just he pushes it too much sometimes. But that's not what I remember from Madrid days, that's clearly Ten Hag Casemiro.

For Portugal in his last game he played the full game and made 75 passes with 93% accuracy and lost possession 12 times
For us in his last game he played the full game and made 82 passes with 73% accuracy and lost possession 34 times

You could argue that it was only it was only Ireland they played so looking at their hardest Euro's game (France) he played 90 minutes and made 87 passes with 88% accuracy and lost possession 24 times which was higher but overall this demonstrates he plays a lot safer for Portugal, the difference is when he has Vitinha and Palinha behind him he plays riskier, when he has Neves and Felix (Last game) with him he plays more safely, which is clearly manager instructed
Some of us have watched Portugal a lot longer. He plays different for Portugal - it's a fact. He doesn't try stupid risks in full knowledge that he'll always play, as he gets benched plenty for Portugal even though he's one of their key players.
I don't take credence of glacial intensity Nations League and friendly games (for any players, not just Bruno).

At the Euros: he was actually passing at 42 out of 50 against France in the Euros -- that was 84%. Czechia was 87%. Turkiye was 75%, Slovenia 76%. On average across the Euros, he was at about 80% passing accuracy. Better than his average for us - which is 73%(!). He's more conversative and a little safer on the ball for Portugal, but he's still the same fundamental player. Don't buy that he's so substantially different a player for Portugal than he is for Manchester United.

I don't take credence of glacial intensity Nations League and friendly games (for any players, not just Bruno).

At the Euros: he was actually passing at 42 out of 50 against France in the Euros -- that was 84%. Czechia was 87%. Turkiye was 75%, Slovenia 76%. On average across the Euros, he was at about 80% passing accuracy. Better than his average for us - which is 73%(!). He's more conversative and a little safer on the ball for Portugal, but he's still the same fundamental player. Don't buy that he's so substantially different a player for Portugal than he is for Manchester United.
A more conservative Bruno= a much different player for me

From what I've seen Portugal play, they tend to exchange a lot of short passes just for the sake of keeping / moving the ball. They also have some very good players in terms of ball retention. I'd ignore all stats coming from international games anyway. Last time I've seen him he was same as United Bruno, with a bit less creativity and risky passes but he had more players ahead of him to take care of that I think think. It's just a different animal all together, no rational conclusion should be drawn here imo.

I don't want a conservative Bruno in our team, I want the Bruno from 2020/2021 back. He was a world class player back then

I don't want a conservative Bruno in our team, I want the Bruno from 2020/2021 back. He was a world class player back then

Yeah it just seems like he isn't creating anymore. I remember when the ball got to him, he would create 4/5 chances a game with some elite playmaking.

Is it because we are asking him to keep the ball ? He seems confused what to do or is it that he is losing it? I am not sure, I just hope he gets back to his best.

We have better wingers now. So instead of trying to create all the time, he should now focus more on unlocking wingers.

Yeah it just seems like he isn't creating anymore. I remember when the ball got to him, he would create 4/5 chances a game with some elite playmaking.

Is it because we are asking him to keep the ball ? He seems confused what to do or is it that he is losing it? I am not sure, I just hope he gets back to his best.
He sure as shit ain't keeping it. Maybe he's just simply declined as a player

This is what I've been saying for ages.

Bruno for Portugal doesn't play as the CAM and plays as a CM and he plays differently.

He becomes this Fred like player that chases players down with the ability to play both a safe ball and a great defence splitting ball aswell.

We just always stick to a 4231 and keep playing him as a CAM and our wingers as wide midfielders.

I convinced myself to take an optimistic view at the start of the season, partly due to his good form at the back end of last season and largely due to a sense of resignation following his contract extension.

That said, everything I’ve ever said about this guy from a little more than a month into his time here was true. If we get the replacement right, it will be so apparent once he’s gone because we’d be able to play a brand of football that we haven’t played in years. I wanted us to sign Barella instead of him in 2019, and wanted us to sign Neves to replace this summer. Get some better fluidity and cohesion in the team. Not about passing the ball side to side for the sake if possession stats, but simply being able to play a higher speed, pass and move short game to unlock teams.

He cannot keep starting. He fecking reeks right now. Absolute shit on a stick stuff every single time.

Absolutely nothing he does comes off. Nearly everything gets blocked because he’s trying to most ridiculous pass despite being closed down.