Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
It always baffles me seeing the word 'lazy' being bandied about in the Bruno threads. His work rate is one of the best in Europe. If you're referencing his erratic passing, then surely there are more fitting words you could use.

Get off it. No there aren't. Running around like a headless chicken won't change the fact he was incredibly sloppy and lazy on the ball in all three instances there. But if you want it put different : it was just wank plain and simple. I wish we still had someone like Roy in the team. Imagine him seeing a sequence like that.

Perhaps those days his productivity overshadowed his weaknesses.
To be blunt his productivity without penalties wasn't that extraordinary either to give him keys to the kingdom so to speak , but anyway what's done is done now we should start phasing him out and accelerate our recovery .

Good thing we gave him that new contract for no reason
I'm sure that fateful extra year we added to his contract really will come back to haunt us.
Get off it. No there aren't. Running around like a headless chicken won't change the fact he was incredibly sloppy and lazy on the ball in all three instances there. But if you want it put different : it was just wank plain and simple. I wish we still had someone like Roy in the team. Imagine him seeing a sequence like that.
I'd imagine Keano would have his hands full shouting at Martinez for constantly walking with the ball yesterday to be too concerned with Bruno attempting forward passes.

The better the squad gets the more he’ll get exposed

When did he start this trivela thing? It’s doing my head in.
It’s all part of his style to do things in the most stylish way possible just to show how ‘good’ he is.

Think of how many times he has a chance and wants to be so precise and aim for the top bin or smash the ball as hard as possible. Players like Suarez and Ronaldinho had the talent and ability to feck about and make things more aesthetically pleasing and effective at the same time, not Bruno.

Like you said there was no reason whatsoever to go for the outside of the boot top corner finish there. How many players have even scored that type of goal before off a one two.

I'd love to see him dropped. It's not just yesterday's game these things happen
Exactly. He's been doing this for the last 2 years but then turns up with a random assist or goal and all is forgiven. He is absolutely detrimental to our overall play and not worth his stats, even when he's in form.

He will producea fantastic spell of three months at some point and then all these types of comments will get slated, why are people critiising somebody who is world class and its pathetic people talking about him being wasteful when so is deBruyne...just look at some baseless stat.

For me his work rate, desire and chatacter cant be questioned. What can ever since his first season is his consistency. Every season since he has had wonderful spells,yet despite his ability, been actually pretty poor for large periods of the season.

Personally also dont think he and Mainoo work together in the same midfield and found the"this is the type of midfielderwe need to complete the midfield"....and we got Ugarte,abit naive to thewhole midfield problem

The 10/10 window that never happened for me included selling Fernandes and Rashford and signing replacement whilststill making a profit on fees and wages PLUS an additional player with those profits.

Said weeks ago our failure to sign a top attaking wide player will be our downfall for top four this season as defensive signings look decent, poor form and youth in the attaking players means inconsistency and lack of goals

Who are you quoting? I certainly didn't say that, so a bit of a weird argument. He did with his header and the weird interplay with him, Bruno and Amad, at points they all made odd decisions.

They're all being held at the same standards in my book. They all should have put the game to bed for us. Zirkzee did more in terms of creation, but he needs to be better in front of goal. I find it absurd that every performance where chances are squandered from all over the team, Bruno takes all the heat. To me it doesn't really matter how old Garnacho is, he's been put through 1v1 twice in this match and not put one of them away. If you want to be successful, that's just not good enough. Bruno should have scored his one where he tried trivela and I think the rebound from Garnacho, but I just don't get why Bruno ends up being "a problem" and why we can't win.
I don’t understand why you’re struggling to comprehend that the superstar and captain of the side should be held to a higher standard than others, instead of being the worst player on the pitch for us.
Click on the link and scroll down. If you didn't know better, you'd think the posts were from 2024. It's uncanny.

It's every year. I raised questions back in 2021 that I thought he caps the ceiling of a team if he's the main focal point in it, simply because he's not quite versatile/technical enough to really thrive if he's not in his ideal role with the team built around him. Yesterday for the first 70 minutes of that game you saw a team that didn't rely on him at all and wasn't catered to him, creating through multiple avenues and playing some of the most technically clean football we've played in years, and he stood out like sore thumb.

He will producea fantastic spell of three months at some point and then all these types of comments will get slated, why are people critiising somebody who is world class and its pathetic people talking about him being wasteful when so is deBruyne...just look at some baseless stat.

For me his work rate, desire and chatacter cant be questioned. What can ever since his first season is his consistency. Every season since he has had wonderful spells,yet despite his ability, been actually pretty poor for large periods of the season.

Personally also dont think he and Mainoo work together in the same midfield and found the"this is the type of midfielderwe need to complete the midfield"....and we got Ugarte,abit naive to thewhole midfield problem

The 10/10 window that never happened for me included selling Fernandes and Rashford and signing replacement whilststill making a profit on fees and wages PLUS an additional player with those profits.

Said weeks ago our failure to sign a top attaking wide player will be our downfall for top four this season as defensive signings look decent, poor form and youth in the attaking players means inconsistency and lack of goals

It's why I wanted Neves so badly. You'd get another pure 8 that could easily play with Mainoo and a DM and it would give an easy transition from the Bruno reliance to a more modern/balanced composition that also had the potential to be world class in a few years. Instead we are stuck with yet another season of no clear successor to him.

Those final couple of months of last season blinded people to the fact that he was mostly shit last season too. I went through his 23/24 match performance thread and here are the first words used to describe each of his first 15 performances after the thread got bumped:

worst, worse, best, abject, terrible, absolute headless chicken, world class, useless, shocker, bench, woeful, good, absolute pest, dogshit, good

Yesterday was an awful performance but it's nothing out of the ordinary for him. Two of his absolute worst performances I've seen him put in for us were Fulham away last year and Atletico Madrid away in 21/22, but he got a late goal and late assist in each of those games so his fanboys were posting stuff like "this is why you leave him on", as if he wasn't constantly breaking down our play for the previous 90 minutes. No team needs a Bruno to win football matches.

It's gaslighting to pretend he give us little output for all the chaos. We don't play a possession based style though, because we don't have the players in our squad.

It's not a love fest, it's a hate fest and that's what I'm rallying against. The idea that he's stopping us from being successful is ridiculous - he has flaws and strengths, like all players.
How can you not see the irony there? :lol: We can't play a possession based style precisely because of players like him :lol:

Again, his output is not impressive at all given how much usage & freedom he has, we let him do whatever he wants like he's prime Messi or Ronaldo.

I think someone needs to tell him that he doesn't need to be our superman anymore. That he can rein it in, become more disciplined and look after the ball a bit more.
That’s the thing — he can’t. Well, he obviously can, but it’s not a natural part of his game. If you take the gung-ho, high risk high reward chance creation out of Fernandes’ game, there’s not really that much he offers. He’s not a good short passer, he’s not very good with the ball in tight areas or in half spaces, he’s not press resistant, and he’s quite one footed. His goalscoring ability and shooting has fallen off a cliff too.

Last game was an extreme example as he genuinely put in a 0/10 there. Let’s say instead of 34 times he gives the ball away 16 times, and his passing accuracy is closer to the 80% mark. Better, but you’ve still got your captain and focal point in that free playmaking role that is just incompatible with a certain style of play. And it’ll only become more noticeable the more players you bring who play in the style of Mainoo, Amad, Zirkzee and even Mazraoui.

How can you not see the irony there? :lol: We can't play a possession based style precisely because of players like him :lol:

Again, his output is not impressive at all given how much usage & freedom he has, we let him do whatever he wants like he's prime Messi or Ronaldo.
Well yeah, but I don't necessarily think that's impossible to play that style because of Bruno. If you look at pretty much all our attackers, they require space to run into. The fact we have no controlling midfielders (bar Eriksen we got on a free) and no midfielders that can cover large spaces, our squad needs completely reshaping of that's the desired outcome. Bruno at least has output, for his all flaws.

I agree, but it's still better than anyone else in our squad and he definitely does more defensive work than both of those!

3 misplaced passes in 30 seconds.

This is my problem when people talk about "of course he gives the ball away, he's trying killer passes!"

Two of those losses of possession cannot be excused for being an attempt at a "killer pass". It's just sloppy losses of possession from a player who does not know how to keep possession of a football.

His attempted killer pass in that clip was an absolutely brainless attempt, and shockingly poor execution. If you want to stop losing the ball on so many killer passes, he could start by choosing the right option on when to keep it simple vs when to play a more difficult pass, and actually execute the passes with some sort of consistency. Spamming difficult passes that you're only capable of making 1 in 20 times isn't helping our game.

Thanks for 5 years service and two trophies but goodbye in summer, like many have said it was a good 18 months but not the level of player youtubers like Beth from United Stand thought he ever was.

For his own good, he needs to be benched for the next 3 games. Eriksen and Zirkzee can now deputise while Bruno sorts his head out of the gutter.

In the United of old, SAF would bench our star players from time to time to get a reaction out of them and also to shield them from the excessive pressure that is being put on them.

Bruno needs a similar treatment right now. If we aspire to be a top club again, we better start demanding top performances from our players. And if they aren't performing, then it's time to warm the bench.

I'm not sure ETH has the gut to bench Bruno for the team's good.

On the other hand, technically speaking, Zirkzee likes to drop back at No. 10 area , and he is much better ball player and able to produce silky control and accurate though ball. We don't need a No. 10 if we want Zirkzee fully show his talent. In this regard, We play 4-3-3 with Mount playing No.8 and dropping Bruno would be much better choice.

Even Eriksen playing No.8 would be better option than Bruno playing there. Bruno simply not disciplined enough and always go too high up as false 9 position, leaving midfield totally exposed. Yes Bruno can run, but if you really look at his defensive actions and pressing, it lacks of productivity and synchronization with teammates. Bruno simply not a good No.8 anyway. He does not have the mindset.

He's overbought into the ethos about Man United players "being bold and taking risks" to the detriment of the team. By all means try fancy finishes when we're 3-0 up, not when we're trying to score first.
His overly emotional approach to football doesn't help either, however, I'll reiterate (from another post), I don't see him play this high risk style for Portugal. So it really does feel like something that have been encouraged at some point, or is not being actively discouraged.

Well yeah, but I don't necessarily think that's impossible to play that style because of Bruno. If you look at pretty much all our attackers, they require space to run into. The fact we have no controlling midfielders (bar Eriksen we got on a free) and no midfielders that can cover large spaces, our squad needs completely reshaping of that's the desired outcome. Bruno at least has output, for his all flaws.

I agree, but it's still better than anyone else in our squad and he definitely does more defensive work than both of those!
Is that still the case though? Assuming we play Zirkzee, Amad, one of Eriksen/Mainoo, Mount and Ugarte, there's only one spot left for either Rashford / Garnacho and Hojlund as a backup. This team would be capable of playing possession based football for sure. It's just Rashford, Bruno and Hojlund can't be on the pitch at the same time because there's no buildup there.

Bruno defensive work is actually running around, he is bad at those elements like pressing, tackling etc. In a team of Casemiro, Eriksen and Rashford that "running around for 90'" ability was important, but the team is moving forward now.

We are actually two positions from a possession based team
[new LW] - Zirkzee - Amad
Mainoo [new CAM] Urgarte
Dalot Martinez De ligt Mazraoui
Onana

Mainoo [new CAM] Urgarte
Onana
Mount is good enough for keeping possession. This was never a question, but his creativity/passing is a big question mark. Although to be fair he was never out in Bruno role (a guy who is there to take risks) so it's hard to tell.

I also don't think LW is a problem if the rest of the team is good at this possession based football. I'd actually rather have a player that makes those runs behind the defense than have another Amad on LW.

Mount is good enough for keeping possession. This was never a question, but his creativity/passing is a big question mark. Although to be fair he was never out in Bruno role (a guy who is there to take risks) so it's hard to tell.

I also don't think LW is a problem if the rest of the team is good at this possession based football. I'd actually rather have a player that makes those runs behind the defense than have another Amad on LW.

If Garnacho can progress, happy to put him in the LW slot.

for CAM, if we can sell Bruno and add 100M to get one of Musiala and Wirtz, I would never say no. I never feel Mount (who is good presser though) has enough quality for a title aspiring team (yes, Chelsea won UCL with him but we also won UCL with Brown who was never world class, same for like of Bosingwa, Kalou, Carragher and Finnan)

It was a credit to how the team played that we dominated for a large part of the match despite carrying Bruno.
Exactly. We've come to a point that Bruno is a problem only because the manager keeps playing him. It's not like he's a central figure anyway, and also we have other options now.

Is that still the case though? Assuming we play Zirkzee, Amad, one of Eriksen/Mainoo, Mount and Ugarte, there's only one spot left for either Rashford / Garnacho and Hojlund as a backup. This team would be capable of playing possession based football for sure. It's just Rashford, Bruno and Hojlund can't be on the pitch at the same time because there's no buildup there.

Bruno defensive work is actually running around, he is bad at those elements like pressing, tackling etc. In a team of Casemiro, Eriksen and Rashford that "running around for 90'" ability was important, but the team is moving forward now.
It is in the sense that Zirzkee and Amad are trying to nail down their spots, they're not guaranteed starters for a side with lofty ambitions - I do hope they are though. I've said for a bit now Rashford, Garnacho in the same side doesn't work as we know Bruno starts, but I think Bruno and one winger stretching the play Rashford/Garnacho, is perfectly fine. I almost see Hojlund as a right sided Rashford, to be honest.

Nah, he does actually win the ball back quite well for an AM, it's born out in the stats too. I think we will have to move on from him eventually, but replacing him will be a lot more difficult than people seem to think.
Mainoo [new CAM] Urgarte
Onana
I mean, half of that team we have no idea whether they'll make it here, let alone the glaring gaps. It lacks goals and creativity.

It is in the sense that Zirzkee and Amad are trying to nail down their spots, they're not guaranteed starters for a side with lofty ambitions - I do hope they are though. I've said for a bit now Rashford, Garnacho in the same side doesn't work as we know Bruno starts, but I think Bruno and one winger stretching the play Rashford/Garnacho, is perfectly fine. I almost see Hojlund as a right sided Rashford, to be honest.

Nah, he does actually win the ball back quite well for an AM, it's born out in the stats too. I think we will have to move on from him eventually, but replacing him will be a lot more difficult than people seem to think.

I mean, half of that team we have no idea whether they'll make it here, let alone the glaring gaps. It lacks goals and creativity.
What do you mean "as we know Bruno starts"? My point was single player is not a problem, but too many of Rashford/Bruno/Hojlund at the same time means we have no buildup capability and need to go uber direct (see last 30' against Palace, or entire last season).

Bruno is a high volume player. He attempts a lot of passes (some of them end up as a chance created, other generate a turnover); he attempts a lot of pressing/tackles (some of them are successful, but in most cases he's bypassed easily and there goes our first defensive line and shape). This isn't anything new, we always knew that, however now we need to ask ourselves a question if this is still our strongest card to play. Because he's definitely not the only option now.

If Garnacho can progress, happy to put him in the LW slot.

for CAM, if we can sell Bruno and add 100M to get one of Musiala and Wirtz, I would never say no. I never feel Mount (who is good presser though) has enough quality for a title aspiring team (yes, Chelsea won UCL with him but we also won UCL with Brown who was never world class, same for like of Bosingwa, Kalou, Carragher and Finnan)
I don't think I get your point. So what's the conclusion on Mount?

The thing here with MM is he doesn't have glaring weaknesses, but it's also hard to see what are his strengths and how they fit with the current squad. This is one of the questions we need to figure out this season. But that would require dropping Bruno. Is the manager ready to do that? I would say no but he also dropped Rashford last game so I have no clue.

This is the Bruno Era.

The clubs fortunes are tied to our choice to build around him.

The defining feature of the Bruno Era is magical moments. The other defining feature is inconsistency with the basics.

Nothing will change because Bruno can’t change at this stage in his career *AND Eth has decided it’s Bruno or bust.

however now we need to ask ourselves a question if this is still our strongest card to play. Because he's definitely not the only option now.

It's premature to bench him in my opinion. I'm not doing the Dalot vs Bruno discussion again, but at worst he was our 2nd best player last season.

He has not had a good start to this campaign, but it seems like there is no middle ground on this forum. It's not been all bad!

- He was good in the Community Shield game.
- He was also good against Fulham. Decent at worst.
- He was excellent against Barnsley.
- He has 4 assists already.

That is something at least. It's not good enough, but if this is Bruno at rock bottom then I'll take it. I think he will turn it around anyways. He's had poor periods before but he always bounces back. Just because Amad and Zirkzee are showing some signs of creativity it doesn't mean that Bruno immediately has become superfluous.

It's premature to bench him in my opinion. I'm not doing the Dalot vs Bruno discussion again, but at worst he was our 2nd best player last season.

He has not had a good start to this campaign, but it seems like there is no middle ground on this forum. It's not been all bad!

That is something at least. It's not good enough, but if this is Bruno at rock bottom then I'll take it. I think he will turn it around anyways. He's had poor periods before but he always bounces back. Just because Amad and Zirkzee are showing some signs of creativity it doesn't mean that Bruno immediately has become superfluous.

I know your a fan of Bruno, do you think his completion rate is good enough for a possession based team?

De Bruyne last season avg 83.9%
Ødegaard last season avg 86.8%
Bruno last season avg 79.6%

So, we're keeping him in the team becasuse "it's not been all bad". Fair enough. I do like the idea that players underperforming do not have a guaranteed place in starting XI, but it's more a question of where are we heading as a team and if Bruno is the best option. If we don't do any changes, trials, rotation, we'll never know.

What do you mean "as we know Bruno starts"? My point was single player is not a problem, but too many of Rashford/Bruno/Hojlund at the same time means we have no buildup capability and need to go uber direct (see last 30' against Palace, or entire last season).

Bruno is a high volume player. He attempts a lot of passes (some of them end up as a chance created, other generate a turnover); he attempts a lot of pressing/tackles (some of them are successful, but in most cases he's bypassed easily and there goes our first defensive line and shape). This isn't anything new, we always knew that, however now we need to ask ourselves a question if this is still our strongest card to play. Because he's definitely not the only option now.
Because he's out only really creative player that physically is up to it. Mount isn't fit often enough to be deemed an option at the moment and Eriksen gets ran over every time he plays a top side. Build up seems to be a bit of a buzz word, but if a team sits in, you end up just having to cross it in or play eye of needle stuff (see City vs Arsenal 2nd half).

If we had someone similarly creative, with better ball retention and physically robust enough, I'm sure they'd push Bruno out the side. Keeping the ball more doesn't magically create more chances for us. It's probably somewhere we need to invest in, but even someone like Eze gives the ball away just as much as Bruno. I think finding this creator who also doesn't give the ball away very often is a bit of a unicorn. That's not to suggest Bruno should be better, but I'm just rallying against the idea it's impossible to build a top side with him in it.

I know your a fan of Bruno, do you think his completion rate is good enough for a possession based team?

De Bruyne last season avg 83.9%
Ødegaard last season avg 86.8%
Bruno last season avg 79.6%

I think I've done this discussion 10 times before, but the short answer is yes. 80% (plus/minus a few percentage points) can be enough if you do other things well.

Personally I see no reason for why an AM should have more than 85% pass completion. Ødegaard plays a bit deeper (I think he plays CM for the national team), so it makes sense that he goes slightly beyond that.

It's also worth noting that Bruno plays far more passes than De Bruyne and Ødegaard. Bruno has taken far more set pieces too (which naturally skews the data). All in all, there is no major difference between Bruno and his peers when it comes to pass completion. The key differences are:

1. Bruno plays far more passes
2. Bruno plays more long balls (although I think De Bruyne plays roughly the same amount)

This is the Bruno Era.

The clubs fortunes are tied to our choice to build around him.

The defining feature of the Bruno Era is magical moments. The other defining feature is inconsistency with the basics.

Nothing will change because Bruno can’t change at this stage in his career *AND Eth has decided it’s Bruno or bust.
What magical moments?

So, we're keeping him in the team becasuse "it's not been all bad". Fair enough.

If that was my one and only point, then fair enough.

My point is that in the bigger picture he's still one of our best players. And his performances have not been as bad as people in here claim. That's why I find it premature to bench him.

I also don't think his competition has done anywhere near enough to warrant this. Amad is good, but he's better suited for the wings in my opinion. I highly doubt that we will play 4-4-2 with Højlund and Zirkzee (and we shouldn't). And Mount over Bruno is just wild.

I wonder if he has simply been such a stand-out player over the last years, that he is not really being coached or is not very receptive to coaching. Bruno has done everything and carried the team for large periods, but now he needs to adjust his game to fit into more of a possession based style, and he therefore needs to take better care of the ball. He is clearly technically capable, but his decision making needs to improve a lot.

Everyone is allowed the odd bad performance, so it's really about how he bounces back and performs over the next games.