Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be fair, France and the UK are extremely close. I don't understand why either side always try to make people believe something else.

Edit: And India.
Investopedia has us fifth, then India and France. Tbf, you can measure economy size in several different ways, which will throw up different results.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/022415/worlds-top-10-economies.asp

GDP per head is the more important figure anyway, as far as how prosperous or otherwise people are. I'd rather the lifestyle of the average Swiss than that of an Indian or Brazilian any day.

GDP per head is the more important figure anyway, as far as how prosperous or otherwise people are. I'd rather the lifestyle of the average Swiss than that of an Indian or Brazilian any day.

Agreed. Did @Jippy stole my identity?:lol:

I still don't understand. Are people genuinely thinking that the problem is with the physicality of the border? The problem is legal, the current borders are invisible but that's because the exact same set of rules are applied on both sides.
I guess more that we risk introducing a physicality through border checks.
Feck knows how to square this circle.

New Zealand. Never been there, know very little about the place, but people I know who say they want to wash their hands of the rest of the world and live a quiet life as subsistence farmers always seem to settle on New Zealand.

I've lived and worked there, I don't believe they are financially dependant and trade deals with the US were always a hot topic in the media. Little detail on those trade deals but plenty of opinion which to me is interesting.

There is talk they are building their own little empire in the pacific nations and while doing this allow a number from those Islands to settle in NZ. Like here a lot of Kiwis cannot get on the housing ladder and so are renting.

A lot don't like their politicians though with the new Labour leader saying they are going to stop foreign investment into NZ housing some good things might happen.

Surely the latter. I think everyone is still working on the assumption a deal will be reached in the end. WTO rules would surely be much worse, regardless of what Brexiters say. I think even most of them would admit in the short term it will be a fair bit bumpier than these numbers imply. As evidenced by the ones that are also financial advisors telling investors to get their money the hell out of the UK.

I kind of see this differently, I believe in International trade yet also some protectionism and notice EU states already protect some of their industries and flout the EUs rules!
No problem with tariffs and believe those that want certain brand cars or other consumer durables will need to pay more and also we will get some things cheaper.

There is a glut of food in Europe so think we have leverage there in making trade deals.

Also we can cut costs, why have 10k troops in Germany, bring them back to the UK to spend their money here.

Teach our kids about nutrition - I have fixed bad mouth ulcers, constipation, angina, prostate pain, migraines and helped many other people yet none of them would pay for advice!!

My daughter is not vaccinated now in her last year at school and has won nearly everything. Me and some other people at work had problems with holiday vacs in our 20's so I decided that was it, no more.

Immigration for low paying jobs, this needs to change to be work visas for 5-7 years, that way we don't keep people earning low salaries that will need the state to support them in later years. Hopefully they would take away savings to support themselves elsewhere and possibly do some thing different.

Means testing for pensioners on things like free travel etc.

There are many things that can be done if the will is there.

To be fair, France and the UK are extremely close. I don't understand why either side always try to make people believe something else.

Edit: And India.
Investopedia has us fifth, then India and France. Tbf, you can measure economy size in several different ways, which will throw up different results.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/022415/worlds-top-10-economies.asp
Could have changed mid year. With their rate of growth for China and India can cover small absolute figures in a matter of months.

Not quite. China has a low GDP per capita but if you picked up the richest 60 million people in China they would in all likelihood be richer than the 60 million people in England. When it comes to trade per capita GDP not that important.

Not quite. China has a low GDP per capita but if you picked up the richest 60 million people in China they would in all likelihood be richer than the 60 million people in England. When it comes to trade per capita GDP not that important.

I said lifestyle, not trade per capita, and average, not richest whatever percentile. You have a point, it just doesn't relate to mine.

I said lifestyle, not trade per capita, and average, not richest whatever percentile. You have a point, it just doesn't relate to mine.
Since the ranking of the economies were being discussed in the context of trade, I thought it relevant to point out that averages of large masses matter little.

My daughter is not vaccinated now in her last year at school and has won nearly everything. Me and some other people at work had problems with holiday vacs in our 20's so I decided that was it, no more.

Lets hope the other kids who can't be vaccinated due to health problems and who rely on herd immunity to save them from life threatening diseases are as lucky.

I have to admit I was slightly confused about that bit of @The Outsider's post. I was following for the first bit about the food mountains. And I picked it up again at the end when it got into immigration and means testing pensions. But got a bit lost about the nutrition and vaccinations part, in terms of the relevance to the Brexit debate.

Unless there's a new jab you can get to stop you turning into a whinging remoaner?

Still wishing and hoping eh Paul?

Dream on, we are leaving, if that means no deal then that's what it is, but when Theresa shows them the money it will turn the EU heads, they can't help it!

PS. Sorry been out of contact for a while, bet you've missed me? When we last exchange posts you were trying to tell me how influential MEP's were and the British MEP's let the side down, or something in that vein. The Commissioners make the policies, the MEPS are something like our Lords they can approve or send back for amendments, but they are not the policy makers.. thought you would have known that?;)

MEPs are elected, the Lords are not - what about European Council - elected heads of states too..

Last week you said I was hoping for the demise of the Uk now you say I'm hoping for the saviour of the UK - have to be consistent

I have to admit I was slightly confused about that bit of @The Outsider's post. I was following for the first bit about the food mountains. And I picked it up again at the end when it got into immigration and means testing pensions. But got a bit lost about the nutrition and vaccinations part, in terms of the relevance to the Brexit debate.

Unless there's a new jab you can get to stop you turning into a whinging remoaner?

Or perhaps there’s a weird typo in there where he meant to say “caught” but it came out “won”?

Or perhaps there’s a weird typo in there where he meant to say “caught” but it came out “won”?

:)

As Kentonio says the non-vaccinators are just gaining 'free' advantage of herd immunity from those that have of course. A horrible person might think a bout of non life-changing nastiness might just serve them right a bit though.

Just as well Brexit was all about saving money. No it wasn't that was it, can't remember now, the reason keeps changing.

A £65bn economic hit on top of the divorce bill. That extra £350 million a week is looking an ever more distant dream...

MEPs are elected, the Lords are not

Neither are policy makers, both perform what amounts, at best to some refining of proposals, at worst a rubber stamp. Commissioners are not elected they are appointed, the are the 'big cheeses' in all of this, they make the decisions on policy, in theory they should not be controlled by the Heads of State, but usually pressure is applied when thought necessary.

What do you think the prospects for majority voting are in the EU moving forward, and what will the criteria be for retaining the veto and for how long can any country be allowed to hold on to their veto?

The dream was already so distant, there's a possibility that if it gets more distant it'll actually end up getting closer again, like travelling round the world.
Or tipping off the edge of the flat earth, given the delusion involved.

The uproar around the European city of culture stuff this arvo did make me laugh tbf. Like that's our biggest worry.

Neither are policy makers, both perform what amounts, at best to some refining of proposals, at worst a rubber stamp. Commissioners are not elected they are appointed, the are the 'big cheeses' in all of this, they make the decisions on policy, in theory they should not be controlled by the Heads of State, but usually pressure is applied when thought necessary.

What do you think the prospects for majority voting are in the EU moving forward, and what will the criteria be for retaining the veto and for how long can any country be allowed to hold on to their veto?

Just in case some Brexiters didn't know how the Commissioners become commissioners or what they do and how the president is elected etc here is a useful link, better not to have wool pulled over their eyes
https://europa.eu/european-union/ab...n-commission_en#how_does_the_commission_work?

Further to your point, would you classify the UK cabinet as a similar body - who makes the decisions on UK policy, what role does the House of Commons or MPs play in these decisions - bearing in mind you are trying to insinuate that the Uk system is more democratic whereas I am saying it isn't.

From that link.

Ian Forrester wondered if the British public might view Brexit as "a great mistake" when they realised what leaving the EU entailed.

I've always thought that's ultimately the EU's tactic and why, among other reasons, it's not in their interest to concede an inch in negotiations. Not only do they not have to, I think they ultimately believe that Britain will change her mind the more it sees what a complete mess it all is. If they compromise now and give ground then that undermines that position. As soon as anything happens that May and co can spin into "progress" that position/tactic is undermined.

Where the EU might be flawed is assuming this government - and in particular the hard-line, mental Tory back-benchers that seem to have it by the nuts - are in any way rational. Our GDP could halve, unemployment increase 10 fold and have an economic crash that makes 2008 look mild and they'd all be celebrating the fact we did it whilst 'taking back control'.

Will December be a watershed moment. It's getting to a point where surely even the government will realise that simply pretending things are going well isn't a sustainable position. If We get to the council meeting in December and the EU still refuse to move onto phase two them something has to change. I suspect not for the better, at least in the short term, and that we'll stage a 'walking out', in an attempt to show the EU we mean business. But that'll simply play into the EU's hands as then shit really will hit the fan and the economy will start to suffer as businesses really crap themselves at the prospect of a no-deal Brexit - making the prospect that everyone will realise what a monumentally shit idea this has been all along, far more likely.

From that link.

I've always thought that's ultimately the EU's tactic and why, among other reasons, it's not in their interest to concede an inch in negotiations. Not only do they not have to, I think they ultimately believe that Britain will change her mind the more it sees what a complete mess it all is. If they compromise now and give ground then that undermines that position. As soon as anything happens that May and co can spin into "progress" that position/tactic is undermined.

Where the EU might be flawed is assuming this government - and in particular the hard-line, mental Tory back-benchers that seem to have it by the nuts - are in any way rational. Our GDP could halve, unemployment increase 10 fold and have an economic crash that makes 2008 look mild and they'd all be celebrating the fact we did it whilst 'taking back control'.

I think the EU realised quite early on that the government are a bunch of loonies, five minutes with Johnson or Davis should be enough, they keep a very close eye on what's going on and they're not going to give an inch on the basics.

I think the EU realised quite early on that the government are a bunch of loonies, five minutes with Johnson or Davis should be enough, they keep a very close eye on what's going on and they're not going to give an inch on the basics.

Do you think maybe the tactic is, ultimately, 'let's ride this out'. With an expectation that eventually Britain will come to its senses?

Do you think maybe the tactic is, ultimately, 'let's ride this out'. With an expectation that eventually Britain will come to its senses?

The tactic is "Let's do what's best for us".

The tactic is "Let's do what's best for us".

Obviously but what does that have to do with what I said?

I was asking if the poster I was replying to thought that some of the noises we hear from the EU on this matter indicate that they ultimately think an appetite for Brexit will diminish and in any event doubt this govt's ability to deliver it given the circumstance it finds itself in.

I wasn't confused as to whether the EU wanted to do what's best for them in the negotiation.

Possibly in a way, but they were never going to give in on the 3 points that are holding up the negotiations now and they told the Uk that since the beginning. Their position at the moment is one of bewilderment that the UK still thinks they're going to change their mind on these points.

Personally I think and maybe they do that Britain will eventually come to its senses. As you say the alternative would make 2008 seem like a stroll in the park.

Obviously but what does that have to do with what I said?

I was asking if the poster I was replying to thought that some of the noises we hear from the EU on this matter indicate that they ultimately think an appetite for Brexit will diminish and in any event doubt this govt's ability to deliver it given the circumstance it finds itself in.

I wasn't confused as to whether the EU wanted to do what's best for them in the negotiation.

But what you describe isn't a tactic, it's more a perception partially based on the fact that Brexit is based on lies and directed by a government that many consider inept.

But what you describe isn't a tactic, it's more a perception partially based on the fact that Brexit is based on lies and directed by a government that many consider inept.
'Many':lol: