Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In reality the positives will take 10 years to come to fruition and it depends on what deal an be achieved. One benefit, depending on your point of view, has been the effect on the house prices in London.

What positives?

Housing affordability is an issue in many places but damaging your economy to limit it isn't worth the sacrifice

I really don't buy the argument that the UK would ever have come under pressure to join the eurozone. Maybe a bit of pressure, but never irresistible pressure. Never the kind of pressure that meant it might actually happen. It just wasn't on the cards, and the prospect of it was actually getting increasingly remote, if anything.

Yep - utter crap. Although in a few years when our economy is in the toilet and we beg to rejoin things might be different.

It depends on your circumstances, as I said. Manufacturing orders are at a 30 year high too, great if you are in that game.

Manufacturing will be decimated as much of it services Europe. New investment will dry up as well as the alternative of setting up within the EU will make more sense.

Not necessarily, it all depends on what deal can be achieved.

Even if we manage to stay in the trading block the net cost will be more than the current cost of full membership. Madness.

Plus May, Boris and Davis will continue to feck up negotiations.

I really don't buy the argument that the UK would ever have come under pressure to join the eurozone. Maybe a bit of pressure, but never irresistible pressure. Never the kind of pressure that meant it might actually happen. It just wasn't on the cards, and the prospect of it was actually getting increasingly remote, if anything.

It seems to be a very british fantasy. Do Swedish and Danish share that fear?

I beg to differ. Since 1992 every country joining the EU, as part of the accession package, has had to agree to join the Euro. Of the nine that have not yet adopted the Euro only two of them the UK and Denmark negotiated opt out clauses. The remaining 7 are legally bound to adopt the Euro. There has been some acceptance of slowing down given the 2008 crisis but the expectation of the EU is that the remaining 7 will join. Sweden meets the necessary criteria now but has used the deliberate ploy of refusing to join ERMII so that it is able to argue that it does not fulfil the necessary criteria requirements but the pressure is on.

Long term how the deuce can anyone seriously suggest going forward that either Denmark or the UK would be able to maintain their current positions. In theory yep but in practice I very much doubt it.

Nope, it's our problem. We can't expect to end freedom of movement with the European Union while simultaneously retaining freedom of movement with another EU country. What would your solution be?
Leave as is like the last bloke said. I offered 3 posibilities, if the eu dont like that then thats their issue.

Looks like Spain might be approaching a crisis over funding it's pensions:

http://investmentwatchblog.com/will-spain-be-the-first-to-default-on-pensions/

When you said you didn't get your information from the Daily Express, this makes things more clear - on the same site
Some examples - "just in" - "Muslims riot in Brussels" this is about Morocco's World Cup qualification over a week ago
or maybe - "Second migrant wave to Europe Immanent" with a picture similar to Farage's famous one - at least you would have thought they could spell imminent

I beg to differ. Since 1992 every country joining the EU, as part of the accession package, has had to agree to join the Euro. Of the nine that have not yet adopted the Euro only two of them the UK and Denmark negotiated opt out clauses. The remaining 7 are legally bound to adopt the Euro. There has been some acceptance of slowing down given the 2008 crisis but the expectation of the EU is that the remaining 7 will join. Sweden meets the necessary criteria now but has used the deliberate ploy of refusing to join ERMII so that it is able to argue that it does not fulfil the necessary criteria requirements but the pressure is on.

Long term how the deuce can anyone seriously suggest going forward that either Denmark or the UK would be able to maintain their current positions. In theory yep but in practice I very much doubt it.
I'd say it's the other way round. In theory we were supposed to join. In practise it was never going to happen. Has anyone suggested such a thing in the last, what, 15 years? I honestly don't remember reading a single article, or hearing a single speech, that made any reference to the UK joining the euro. I'm not challenging you to dig one out, I'm sure you can if you look hard enough, but this is not any kind of sustained pressure. There was no expectation. Didn't that bullshit renegotiation Cameron did even set in stone that we wouldn't be railroaded into any kind of ever closer union?

I'll tell you what it is, it's Project Fear. "Vote Leave or we'll have to join the euro." it's bollocks.

Leave as is like the last bloke said. I offered 3 posibilities, if the eu dont like that then thats their issue.

We can't leave it as it is when we want to end freedom of movement though. How's a UK-border issue being created exclusively by the UK not our problem?

I'd say it's the other way round. In theory we were supposed to join. I'm practise it was never going to happen. Has anyone suggested such a thing in the last, what, 15 years? I honestly don't remember reading a single article, or hearing a single speech, that made any reference to the UK joining the euro. I'm not challenging you to dig one out, I'm sure you can if you look hard enough, but this is not any kind of sustained pressure. There was no expectation. Didn't that bullshit renegotiation Cameron did even set in stone that we wouldn't be railroaded into any kind of ever closer union?

I'll tell you what it is, it's Project Fear. "Vote Leave or we'll have to join the euro." it's bollocks.

France is one of the countries with an exemption and I have never heard anything that puts that into question. Never.

Sorry, I'm being dumb I'm sure, what has France for an exemption from? Aren't we talking about the euro?

Yes, a part of the territory doesn't use the Euro, French Polynesia. It's an interesting trivia because it's never mentioned, in France we technically have two currencies the Euro and the Franc Pacific.

Yes, a part of the territory doesn't use the Euro, French Polynesia. It's an interesting trivia because it's never mentioned, in France we technically have two currencies the Euro and the Franc Pacific.

Really interesting, didn't know that.

The likes of Greece didn't either. And some that did then have broken the rules since. Then again, who cares.

For sure, the only ones who care are those using this as one of the pretences for leaving.

Better leave before we do meet the criteria ;)

Quite.

If the UK does jump off the cliff they'll probably wish they had joined the Euro.

Dealing with the easy part first. Whilst this is true what you so conveniently fail to say is that the only reason for this is because the currency of French Polynesia is permanently fixed against the Euro.

I'd say it's the other way round. In theory we were supposed to join. In practise it was never going to happen. Has anyone suggested such a thing in the last, what, 15 years? I honestly don't remember reading a single article, or hearing a single speech, that made any reference to the UK joining the euro. I'm not challenging you to dig one out, I'm sure you can if you look hard enough, but this is not any kind of sustained pressure. There was no expectation. Didn't that bullshit renegotiation Cameron did even set in stone that we wouldn't be railroaded into any kind of ever closer union?

Now this I really take umbrage with. Merely because I am actually in favour of the UK remaining in the EU. Thing is I never believed that all of the lies and untruths were being told by those advocating leave. The majority of the views expressed on this board only reinforce my view that there are just as many 'remainers' quite willing to peddle half truths and downright lies.

Apart from not legally having to adopt the Euro, the UK don't meet the criteria to be able to join the Euro even if they wanted to.

The expectation of the EU has always been that all countries would join the Euro and that the UK and Denmarks opt outs were only ever viewed as temporary. In the case of the UK black wednesday made our politicians rightly cautious. The collapse of economies in 2008 only reinforced our view that monetary union was at best unwise and that there ought to be a slowdown on further integration. The EU actually took and still takes the opposite view. The Greek experience for example has convinced them that without further political and economic integration the same might happen in the future. Personally I think they are right and that the EU's aim for all countries to adopt the Euro, for fiscal policy to be set centrally, for there to be a European army etc is not only sensible but almost a prerequisite if Europe is to have a real voice in years to come. Unless it happens then I am sure that long term the Union has no viable future.

If you really think its pie in the sky and will not happen then I respectfully suggest that you are just as misguided and ill informed as those in favour of leaving that you evidently despise.

For sure, the only ones who care are those using this as one of the pretences for leaving.

Quite.

If the UK does jump off the cliff they'll probably wish they had joined the Euro.

Sorry, I thought it was you that mentioned it. Now it's got to us wanting to join the Euro the conversation's got a bit too bizarre for me, I'll try again tomorrow. Still, at least you didn't say begging, which seems to have come back in vogue again, even without devilish.

Current open border is fine. I really doubt any EU national even Bulgarians and Romanians (no disrespect meant to them) will be looking to work illegally in the UK. As long as the Irish are not a part of the Schengen it all works fine.

The only problem I could see potentially arising would be if some EU country decided to hand out their citizenship to the recent mass arrivals and they started coming to the UK via Ireland illegally. The chances of this are minute and given that there are more than 1.5 million illegals in the UK already, the problem would still be small.

The greater issue is that an open border on one side will be vulnerable to what essentially amounts to goods smuggling. If tariffs are to be applied or standards diverge then having no customs checks will leave both sides exposed. Something I doubt the EU are likely to agree to.

The greater issue is that an open border on one side will be vulnerable to what essentially amounts to goods smuggling. If tariffs are to be applied or standards diverge then having no customs checks will leave both sides exposed. Something I doubt the EU are likely to agree to.
Yeah my post was assuming there being tariff free trade post UK leaving.

Sorry, I thought it was you that mentioned it. Now it's got to us wanting to join the Euro the conversation's got a bit too bizarre for me, I'll try again tomorrow. Still, at least you didn't say begging, which seems to have come back in vogue again, even without devilish.

Joke, ho ho ha ha, remember what it used to be like

Dealing with the easy part first. Whilst this is true what you so conveniently fail to say is that the only reason for this is because the currency of French Polynesia is permanently fixed against the Euro.

That's a decision between France and French Polynesia not the EU, the Francs Pacifique had a fixed change against the Franc and the latter doesn't exist anymore. It could have been fixed against the Dollar or the Pound Sterling but it would have been a weird one.

If you really think its pie in the sky and will not happen then I respectfully suggest that you are just as misguided and ill informed as those in favour of leaving that you evidently despise.

It might be an ideal for the EU in a general sense but it is pie in the sky in any meaningful sense. Even if we didn't leave we woudn't adopt the Euro in any meaningful time scale. The same goes for an EU army. Personally I'm for both in a general sense.

It might be an ideal for the EU in a general sense but it is pie in the sky in any meaningful sense. Even if we didn't leave we woudn't adopt the Euro in any meaningful time scale. The same goes for an EU army. Personally I'm for both in a general sense.

Why are you for the Euro? Aren't the UK in a better position with the Pound Sterling?

The expectation of the EU has always been that all countries would join the Euro and that the UK and Denmarks opt outs were only ever viewed as temporary. In the case of the UK black wednesday made our politicians rightly cautious. The collapse of economies in 2008 only reinforced our view that monetary union was at best unwise and that there ought to be a slowdown on further integration. The EU actually took and still takes the opposite view. The Greek experience for example has convinced them that without further political and economic integration the same might happen in the future. Personally I think they are right and that the EU's aim for all countries to adopt the Euro, for fiscal policy to be set centrally, for there to be a European army etc is not only sensible but almost a prerequisite if Europe is to have a real voice in years to come. Unless it happens then I am sure that long term the Union has no viable future.

Ideally the EU would have liked the UK to join the Euro but would not and have never been forced to do so.
The other points I don't disagree with you.

I don't despise those in favour of leaving, I would if it was going to seriously damage my life, personally and selfishly it will be a small advantage.
I just think they are incredibly foolish.