Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No. They can start voting right after the land in the country.

No, I am not talking about British subjects. Anyone with a commonwealth passport is allowed to vote.
Seems only fair given the efforts the crown made to forcefully subjugate them under British rule.

No, I am not talking about British subjects. Anyone with a commonwealth passport is allowed to vote.

From what I understand the people that you guys are talking about have the right of abode which means that they are commonwealth citizens which means that they are not foreign citizens. Which give them the right to vote.

According to the Public Accounts Committee, the Telegraph writes, there could lorries full of rotting food at ill-prepared customs points in Britain. Surely that wouldn't happen. Which sellers would accept cash on delivery knowing there's a high risk of not being paid and which buyers would pay in advance ? But what would happen if the customs are not ready ? Doubtless HMRC has everything under control ?

Only if they have indefinite leave to remain or unlimited right of entry which extremely few of the Commonwealth citizens have these days. Ask the Hong Kong Chinese who tried fleeing to the UK when we handed Hong Kong back to China but ended up taking their cash and entrepreneurial skills to Canada, America and Australia instead as the UK had pulled the rug from all bar a few percent of them years earlier unseen.

To get ILR or URE status takes up to 2 years if you are already married to a British citizen, 5 years if not and is becoming less and less likely to be granted unless you are a high net worth individual or fall into one of the desirable skill categories. Essentially that much vaunted Australian points based immigration system you all think we should adopt once we've stopped the EU interfering.

Only if they have indefinite leave to remain or unlimited right of entry which extremely few of the Commonwealth citizens have these days. Ask the Hong Kong Chinese who tried fleeing to the UK when we handed Hong Kong back to China but ended up taking their cash and entrepreneurial skills to Canada, America and Australia instead as the UK had pulled the rug from all bar a few percent of them years earlier unseen.

To get ILR or URE status takes up to 2 years if you are already married to a British citizen, 5 years if not and is becoming less and less likely to be granted unless you are a high net worth individual or fall into one of the desirable skill categories. Essentially that much vaunted Australian points based immigration system you all think we should adopt once we've stopped the EU interfering.

Its hardly scientific but ILR I found to be one of the more straight forward processes - now getting the temporary leave to remain for 2 years fist was a fecking pain but the ILR was essentially a tick box process at the end of that 2 years

Its all those Muslims from the EU's fault.

Nevermind that leaving the EU is actually likely to increase immigration from middle eastern and African countries.

The scary thing is that this is how some of them think.

I've made one mistake in my assessment of Brexit, I over-estimated the intelligence of Brexiters

Globalisation, overpopulation, new crime waves in the UK from people from foreign places.
Muslim gangs in prison targeting other criminals.
We should only be letting the right ones in and that is when we have sufficient housing.
What's wrong with globalisation?

It encourages competition and raises the baseline, which ironically the most capitalistic of parties have now come to hate because it exposes their own inadequacies in skill level and goes against their high opinion of themselves.

Good news for all Brexiteers...

March 29th 2019 will be hence forth known as 'St. Theresa of the Brexit' day and will be declared a national holiday.

100 years from now the ancient order of the 'Brexiteer Day' will be celebrated with street parties held up and down Britain to honour this glorious day, when with one bound and one glorious Act of the UK Parliament, Britain once again became a free and independent nation, in Europe, but not of the EU and once more there were blue-birds seen over the White Cliffs of Dover (at least those cliffs that hadn't fallen into the sea!) ;)
or
if you come from 'remainer stock', you may be (secretly) building bonfires and burning effigies of the 'Maybot' and plotting an 85th running of the referendum, still hoping for a different result :annoyed:

It kills smaller businesses as everything concentrates up to the bigger boys, less accountants, less tech people, less legal people etc.

Less likely to pay their share of tax as they will register in a low tax regime or tax haven.

Less training of the workforce as skilled employees are sent in from other countries around the world, normally poorer and work for less.

March 29th 2019 will be hence forth known as 'St. Theresa of the Brexit' day and will be declared a national holiday.

100 years from now the ancient order of the 'Brexiteer Day' will be celebrated with street parties held up and down Britain to honour this glorious day, when with one bound and one glorious Act of the UK Parliament, Britain once again became a free and independent nation, in Europe, but not of the EU and once more there were blue-birds seen over the White Cliffs of Dover (at least those cliffs that hadn't fallen into the sea!) ;)
or
if you come from 'remainer stock', you may be (secretly) building bonfires and burning effigies of the 'Maybot' and plotting an 85th running of the referendum, still hoping for a different result :annoyed:

100 years from now Brexit will be a hilarious chapter in the history books, where future students will read in disbelief how their ancestors were manipulated by Russia and rich toffs into self-destructing the UK economy. "But how could they have been so completely gullible and stupid?!" they'll ask. "Surely it was obvious that only a small handful of very rich people would benefit?!" they'll ask their professors. "Why yes, it was obvious." the professors will reply "But then again, nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the British public.".

or
So you're estimating it will be around 100 years before things are looking good again post Brexit, probably as per your original schedule though. i wouldn't bank too much on the blue birds over the white cliffs though unless it's an escaped budgie as the septics who wrote the song were unaware that bluebirds are not an indigenous British species.

100 years from now Brexit will be a hilarious chapter in the history books

And that will be the first time anyone found something funny in a history book!

In that sense we can look forward to Brexit and its legacy, already benefitting mankind ;)

or
The song for St Theresa's Day has already been written - I Believe.

I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows
"""""""" that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows
"""""""" for everyone who goes astray, someone will come to show the way
I believe, I believe :)

Globalisation, overpopulation, new crime waves in the UK from people from foreign places.
Muslim gangs in prison targeting other criminals.
We should only be letting the right ones in and that is when we have sufficient housing.
Let me guess, you read the Daily Express.

It already is a race to the bottom, has been for years.
I can't disagree with you there Stan but as a nation the Brits seem to have misinterpreted the conditions of said race and believe we should run it with our heads stuck up our arses. This whole thing is beyond a fecking farce and would be funny if it weren't likely to blight the lives of this and future generations unnecessarily.

The song for St Theresa's Day has already been written - I Believe.

I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows
"""""""" that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows
"""""""" for everyone who goes astray, someone will come to show the way
I believe, I believe :)

Very Good :lol:!

Hopefully St. Theresa's relatives will donate her 'kitten heels' to the nation, to be venerated in years to come as an ancient relic and displayed in Westminster Abbey!;)

I can't disagree with you there Stan but as a nation the Brits seem to have misinterpreted the conditions of said race and believe we should run it with our heads stuck up our arses. This whole thing is beyond a fecking farce and would be funny if it weren't likely to blight the lives of this and future generations unnecessarily.
Well the whole world is a farce, especially where neoliberalism is rife, Europe for example. It just hasn't worked for many and a different course needs to be found, carrying on the same way is complete madness. So long as we turn a blind eye to increasing poverty and homelessness in the whole of Europe we'll be fine. What did a trading block ever bring those people?

Cos your mates gave them the opportunity to vote on it

So they decided to vote for relegation from the Premier League to the Championship, they thought the grass was greener but it's a tough life down there and it could take many years to get that promotion that they thought would be so easy.

When skilled jobs go it is a race to the bottom, though great for the shareholder and if you are comfortably retired, we can't all work for the state - NHS, Police etc.

Like everything else, Globalization has its merits and drawbacks. For example, end customers will more variety of international options available to end customer that may not always be available through small/local businesses. There needs to be balance. For example, where global partners tend to compete directly with local, then those should be monitored/restricted as necessary. For other areas where it offers better vareity or options it can be encouraged.

I tend to discount sweeping "x is bad" type statements as they typically tend to be emotional responses and not usually not merit based.

Regarding the idea of Brexit as a shield against the worst excesses of globalisation, Rees-Mogg is today claiming there would be a £135bn windfall over 5 years if there is a hard Brexit. This would be achieved through such progressive measures as slashing regulation, reducing corporation tax and reducing stamp duty on property. Liam Fox’s department also tweeted an endorsement of these views (since removed).

Regarding the idea of Brexit as a shield against the worst excesses of globalisation, Rees-Mogg is today claiming there would be a £135bn windfall over 5 years if there is a hard Brexit. This would be achieved through such progressive measures as slashing regulation, reducing corporation tax and reducing stamp duty on property. Liam Fox’s department also tweeted an endorsement of these views (since removed).
And that doesn't include the windfall from investing in the California Gold Rush, which he thinks will really take off in the next 2-3 years.

So they decided to vote for relegation from the Premier League to the Championship, they thought the grass was greener but it's a tough life down there and it could take many years to get that promotion that they thought would be so easy.
I'd say it's more like deciding not to play in the Champions League and then trying to make a new tournament with the likes of New York Red Bulls, River Plate and Melbourne FC.

I don't think the tariffs are an insurmountable problem, given the state of the pound, but being out of the Customs Union will be a disaster.

Best I can think of is to pay whatever it takes to stop in that, and swallow having no input on it's rules and regulations any more. Long term rules will be set to favour others of course, but action is needed now, time is running out.

I don't think the tariffs are an insurmountable problem, given the state of the pound, but being out of the Customs Union will be a disaster.

Best I can think of is to pay whatever it takes to stop in that, and swallow having no input on it's rules and regulations any more. Long term rules will be set to favour others of course, but action is needed now, time is running out.

That is preferable to crashing out but it begs the question of why go through the trauma of leaving in the first place if you end up with nothing better than damage limitation.

You get the tariffs he is talking about are just the ones on the components, right? 10% on every single one, and the cost of dealing with the admin around actually reporting and paying it.

A great example of how screwed we will be is the BMW mini. The gearbox and/or its components go across the border between the UK and europe 3 times before they are eventually fitted into a car.

Under WTO rules, there is a tariff every single time.

You get the tariffs he is talking about are just the ones on the components, right? 10% on every single one, and the cost of dealing with the admin around actually reporting and paying it.

A great example of how screwed we will be is the BMW mini. The gearbox and/or its components go across the border between the UK and europe 3 times before they are eventually fitted into a car.

Yeah, I don't deny it's bad, just thinking what the best course of action is likely to be.

Hopefully something a little more original than 'stop in', as I think that may have been mentioned before.

So to make like simpler for BMW just move the production elsewhere in Europe, wonder how any times we'll hear that over the coming years if there's no deal.