Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you really believe Honda have 1hour stock levels? They don't. JLR don't, VW don't, Ford don't, Magna don't, Draexlmaier don't.

Yes, I really do believe their stock levels to be in the regions they have stated. I worked about 17yrs for a big Automotive company which has/had plants in Luton and Ellesmere Port, and these facilities indeed only ever had production material for a few hours in advance. It's called just-in-time for a reason.

Nonsense, everyone imports from China/Thailand/etc (Asia). We're a 4bn euro company so I wouldn't class us as small.

As you are obviously working for a parts supplier, you import basic, relatively inexpensive components, to turn them into more complex bigger components. An actual manufacturer of cars uses your "finished products" as components.
A lot of these parts are highly specialized and made by few manufacturers. You can't just go and buy a 7speed-semi-automatic transmission like knock-off Lacoste-Shirts in China, for example.
So yeah, apart from the issues that concern timely transport and tariffs, there's the additional matter of getting the things you need elsewhere on short notice.

We buy components from China, we ship finished product to China. I don't know the details regarding tariffs as it's not my department but it's obviously sustainable.

The big advantage of doing business under the umbrella of the EU...

Do you really believe Honda have 1hour stock levels? They don't. JLR don't, VW don't, Ford don't, Magna don't, Draexlmaier don't.

Nonsense, everyone imports from China/Thailand/etc (Asia). We're a 4bn euro company so I wouldn't class us as small.

We buy components from China, we ship finished product to China. I don't know the details regarding tariffs as it's not my department but it's obviously sustainable.

If you're a £4bn company you have the same turnover as Honda so you would be a big company. The big car manufacturing companies operate on a just-in-time scenario so they don't have warehouses full of stocks of parts.
They are all saying the same thing, they are all worried about their supply chain - they're not saying that for no reason.
Assume you are supplying parts to many different manufacturers.

Of course companies are currently shipping to and from Asia and elsewhere in the world. However, changing from a smooth tariff free, VAT free, customs checkfree environment with the EU would cause a massive change in life for companies that trade outside of the UK, no matter what business they are in.
These companies obviously understand the problems they would face - they're not going to sit back and hope that May gets her cake and eat it strategy agreed with the EU.
Big decisions will be made early in 2018.

Would love to know what she told Nissan.

Would love to know what she told Nissan

Theresa said "relax, we're going to 'get our cake and eat it', at the last minute I will bung the EU £60B maybe if necessary up to £80B (spread over ten years its still less per annum than we would pay in subs) we will leave the EU but trade will continue on the same terms (more or less as we have as a member). Its a very expensive piece of cake, but I will have carried through the referendum result, which is what I was elected to do... one point though, in future you will have to deal with someone else as PM because I'll be off walking in Switzerland with my hubby!"

(Sorry Paul, couldn't resist it;))

If you're a £4bn company you have the same turnover as Honda so you would be a big company. The big car manufacturing companies operate on a just-in-time scenario so they don't have warehouses full of stocks of parts.
They are all saying the same thing, they are all worried about their supply chain - they're not saying that for no reason.
Assume you are supplying parts to many different manufacturers.

Of course companies are currently shipping to and from Asia and elsewhere in the world. However, changing from a smooth tariff free, VAT free, customs checkfree environment with the EU would cause a massive change in life for companies that trade outside of the UK, no matter what business they are in.
These companies obviously understand the problems they would face - they're not going to sit back and hope that May gets her cake and eat it strategy agreed with the EU.
Big decisions will be made early in 2018.

Would love to know what she told Nissan.

I think one of the car companies worked out that it would cost about £1500 per car to go to WTO rules (and they sell like 90% of their output to Europe)... assuming 10% uk then thats an average of around 1,350 per car and i believe nissan produce circa 500K cars a year in the Uk so its about £675m extra costs

that said the fall in the £ will have gone a long way to offset that cost (if they source parts locally - and make it workse if they are sourcing abroad but certainly a large overhead chunk will be in £)

I don't think the government will have much room to give them a tax break to offset as they structure their business to pay relatively little UK (corporation) tax.

I suspect she just said - look we are fecked and the economy is gonna tank - but on the plus side we will cut taxes even further and people will be so scared of loosing their jobs you will be able to treat them like shit... plus dont worry too much about those European working standards you have to adhere to as we will be taking an axe to them in no time... and when the £ plumets think how good that will be for your exports!

Theresa said "relax, we're going to 'get our cake and eat it', at the last minute I will bung the EU £60B maybe if necessary up to £80B (spread over ten years its still less per annum than we would pay in subs) we will leave the EU but trade will continue on the same terms (more or less as we have as a member). Its a very expensive piece of cake, but I will have carried through the referendum result, which is what I was elected to do... one point though, in future you will have to deal with someone else as PM because I'll be off walking in Switzerland with my hubby!"

(Sorry Paul, couldn't resist it;))

Strangely enough - I don't disagree with you that much on this - at the end of the day I believe the UK will leave in name only - the alternative would be too disastrous - but it may cost a bit more but at least the Tories can say they granted "the wish of the people" - and caused about 5 years of uncertainty and for what - no say, the exact opposite of the whole purpose.

I think one of the car companies worked out that it would cost about £1500 per car to go to WTO rules (and they sell like 90% of their output to Europe)... assuming 10% uk then thats an average of around 1,350 per car and i believe nissan produce circa 500K cars a year in the Uk so its about £675m extra costs

that said the fall in the £ will have gone a long way to offset that cost (if they source parts locally - and make it workse if they are sourcing abroad but certainly a large overhead chunk will be in £)

I don't think the government will have much room to give them a tax break to offset as they structure their business to pay relatively little UK (corporation) tax.

I suspect she just said - look we are fecked and the economy is gonna tank - but on the plus side we will cut taxes even further and people will be so scared of loosing their jobs you will be able to treat them like shit... plus dont worry too much about those European working standards you have to adhere to as we will be taking an axe to them in no time... and when the £ plumets think how good that will be for your exports!

If it came to leaving on a no deal basis - the government will need more taxes than ever so can't see them being in a position to offer lower taxes, would expect the opposite, that'll please a lot of people.

If it came to leaving on a no deal basis - the government will need more taxes than ever so can't see them being in a position to offer lower taxes, would expect the opposite, that'll please a lot of people.
Isn't this one of the puzzles of how they can be tempted to stay ? By lowering taxes. As a consequence, the NHS, education, the armed forces, welfare etc will have to be reduced. Low taxes = small state government - isn't that the theory ?

If we left with no deal we'd need to slash taxes in order to make ourselves look attractive to foreign investment. It'd be a fecking disaster for public services but I wouldn't expect this government to act any differently. We wouldn't just be able to get away with showing some leg to the Chinese, we'll have to hitch our skirt up, bend over and tattoo a discount offer on our arse cheeks.

A close-to-zero-tax economy is what the right wing ideologues like John Redwood - the people apparently on the side of 'the people' have been calling for all these years. Almost sickening to see the Tory wet-dream being sold as populism.

Quite the opposite... I could see them slashing corporation tax to keep people here and try and attract more hq's and this overall tax take... bit like they claim 45% tax collects more than 50% as less people bother to avoid it

Isn't this one of the puzzles of how they can be tempted to stay ? By lowering taxes. As a consequence, the NHS, education, the armed forces, welfare etc will have to be reduced. Low taxes = small state government - isn't that the theory ?

The vital services seem close to breaking point now so any reduction in taxes will be disastrous. They need to be increased but I doubt Hammond will announce any tax increases in his budget.
How to win votes: reduce taxes and demonise the EU. People lap it up until reality smacks them hard in the face but they'll always be someone else to blame.

Quite the opposite... I could see them slashing corporation tax to keep people here and try and attract more hq's and this overall tax take... bit like they claim 45% tax collects more than 50% as less people bother to avoid it

Yes I can see them doing it but the real world will catch up with them eventually as per above.

Looks like government have backtracked on the 'leave date' issue already.

Prominent wildlife photographer Richard Bowler says the government’s vote to reject the inclusion of animal sentience in the European Union Withdrawal Bill is a vote to say animals can no longer feel pain or emotions.

The move to reject sentience in the bill has been largely under-reported in the mainstream media despite Michael Gove facing criticism over his high animal welfare pledge.

Eighty per cent of current animal welfare legislation comes from the EU, but after March 2019, European law will no longer apply in the UK.

While most EU law relating to animals will be automatically brought over into UK law, this will not apply to the recognition of sentience.

Under EU law, animals are currently recognised as being capable of feeling pain and emotion. But MPs have this week voted to drop the inclusion of animal sentience into the Withdrawal Bill.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/government-votes-animals-cant-feel-pain-emotions/17/11/

Allies of the Exiting the European Union secretary said they were concerned he is not being included by civil servants in key talks about Britain’s negotiations about leaving the European Union.

One source said that Mr Davis had not been shown a key Brexit Cabinet paper sent by Boris Johnson, the Foreign secretary, and Michael Gove, to the Prime Minister.

The fear is that Mr Davis might resign in protest – in the same way that he suddenly quit as shadow home secretary from David Cameron’s front bench team in 2008.

What a shambles. Believing in Brexit at this point is literally a matter of faith, i.e. like a religion. There is no evidence to suggest it will end well at all.

Trusting the conservative party on animal welfare is like taking your nan to Harold Shipman.

I do, and did, have sympathy with some of the 'lexit' arguments, but anyone that thought that the Conservatives were going to produce anything other than the hardest, most severe Brexit imaginable was deluding themselves.

When/if the government present a deal to Parliament what's to stop Parliament holding it up. Not just by voting it down but delaying/spoiling it by adding amendments, holding it up in the Lords, etc.

What would be the legal position if the EU and the UK either reached a deal or didn't, but Parliament refused to ratify it, at least on the terms as agreed. Would the UK bounce out of the EU regardless or does the ending of the relationship have to be ratified mutually (by Parliament and by the individual 27 member states) before it's concluded?

Does triggering Article 50 mean that it's enacted automatically at the end of the process or is that too subject to mutual and unanimous ratification?

This is exactly why I know that Brexit is not going to happen. It is a political joke taken to an extreme. It stopped being funny a long time ago.
It will happen. The age of economic sense, for good and bad, is coming to a close. There is not a politician around who would dare to reverse this.

When/if the government present a deal to Parliament what's to stop Parliament holding it up. Not just by voting it down but delaying/spoiling it by adding amendments, holding it up in the Lords, etc.

What would be the legal position if the EU and the UK either reached a deal or didn't, but Parliament refused to ratify it, at least on the terms as agreed. Would the UK bounce out of the EU regardless or does the ending of the relationship have to be ratified mutually (by Parliament and by the individual 27 member states) before it's concluded?

Does triggering Article 50 mean that it's enacted automatically at the end of the process or is that too subject to mutual and unanimous ratification?
I think this is why they want the exit date in the bill...
Then people will have a choice... vote for it or leave anyway with no deal
Basically the only option to mps will be to effectively vote against to push for a harder brexit

From what I understand we would just fall out of the EU at the end of the 2 years unless we had an agreement with the 27 to extend the negotiation time. Which is why giving parliament a say at the very end is basically worthless.

From what I understand we would just fall out of the EU at the end of the 2 years unless we had an agreement with the 27 to extend the negotiation time. Which is why giving parliament a say at the very end is basically worthless.

Interesting. I've no grounds to challenge that interpretation of events except to say it would be odd for a county to leave the EU without the exit being fully ratified by the EU member states. It seems very un-EU like. Otherwise it'd be the case that a country could leave the EU simply by triggering Article 50 and awaiting for the necessary time period to expire without any kind of agreement from anyone else.

Not saying I'm right but I'd find it surprising if the process was set up as such denying the rEU members any kind of say in what happens.

I was under the impression that it was not merely any deal that we may obtain that needed the remaining 27 to ratify, but the fact of our exit altogether.

Interesting. I've no grounds to challenge that interpretation of events except to say it would be odd for a county to leave the EU without the exit being fully ratified by the EU member states. It seems very un-EU like. Otherwise it'd be the case that a country could leave the EU simply by triggering Article 50 and awaiting for the necessary time period to expire without any kind of agreement from anyone else.

Not saying I'm right but I'd find it surprising if the process was set up as such denying the rEU members any kind of say in what happens.

I was under the impression that it was not merely any deal that we may obtain that needed the remaining 27 to ratify, but the fact of our exit altogether.

Nope, I just checked with wiki.

"Once Article 50 is triggered, there is a two-year period to complete negotiations. If negotiations do not result in a ratified agreement, the seceding country leaves without an agreement, and the EU Treaties shall cease to apply to the seceding country, without any substitute or transitional arrangements being put in place. As regards trade, the parties would likely follow World Trade Organisation rules on tariffs."