Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is going to come back and bite him on the arse...

Post-Brexit trade: UK having its cake and eating it, says Boris Johnson

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55486081

Of all the rediculous and half-witted things that Boris has spouted, this is right up there.
It is beyond lying. And it is beyond contempt.
There is no basis at all for that statement. Apart from the fact that he is fundamentally and totally deluded.
Boris. Do yourself and everybody else a favour and shut your stupid mouth.

He's got away with it so far because he could say anything and there were no consequences. Almost all of what he said was untrue but it doesn't matter whether the RW press scrutinise it, the reality will reveal the truth.

I suspect he will depart before the next election anyway. Earning large fees for giving after dinner speeches or penning facetious newspaper columns is probably more fun than the reality of being “world king”. Some adult will need to deal with this mess.

Of all the rediculous and half-witted things that Boris has spouted, this is right up there.
It is beyond lying. And it is beyond contempt.
There is no basis at all for that statement. Apart from the fact that he is fundamentally and totally deluded.
Boris. Do yourself and everybody else a favour and shut your stupid mouth.

You could imagine him saying this at the beginning of the Leave campaign but now is beyond deluded just hours before the event. You can see the contempt he has for the electorate.

I suspect he will depart before the next election anyway. Earning large fees for giving after dinner speeches or penning facetious newspaper columns is probably more fun than the reality of being “world king”. Some adult will need to deal with this mess.

I think he'll be long gone before the next election, but dread who may replace him, the contenders are possibly even more hopeless.

No it's very right wing, most of the major newspapers at best are moderately right wing and some extremely right wing.
But there’s not a pernicious lie that keeps being repeated that it is left wing due to there being a couple of left wing newspapers? Or is it just understood by all that media slants right over there?

But there’s not a pernicious lie that keeps being repeated that it is left wing due to there being a couple of left wing newspapers? Or is it just understood by all that media slants right over there?

There's a couple of major newspapers like the Daily Mirror which is regarded as left wing, not extreme, but I doubt any British person would think the press is anything other than right wing and moving progressively right.

In the UK, the main point of attack for the right is directed at the BBC rather than the newspapers. As for newspapers, and going from broadsheets through middlebrow to tabloids, we have:

The Telegraph - very right wing
The Times - right wing
The Guardian - centre to centre left
The Mail - very right wing
The Express - even more comically right wing
The Mirror - left wing
The Sun - very right wing
The Star - tits

My only hope is that by the time the next election comes round, leave voters will realise that Brexit hasn’t actually improved anything and we can have an election based on actual issues we face, rather than one side screaming about sovereignty or immigration to win it.

Saying that, I’m sure the right will find something else to use.
I think the tories have got a lot of benefit from being the English Nationalist party, and every nationalist needs a bigger neighbour to stoke resentment. So I don’t see Europe going away, it’s how it gets reframed. You can be sure, if we do worse as a result of brexit, it’ll be Europe’s fault.

There's another slant on this, that the Brexiters are so thick , even the ringleaders have c*cked it up, the no deal never came because they chickened out at the last moment and didn't even get their disaster payout.
Instead the country gets a slow drip of misfortune.

I think the tories have got a lot of benefit from being the English Nationalist party, and every nationalist needs a bigger neighbour to stoke resentment. So I don’t see Europe going away, it’s how it gets reframed. You can be sure, if we do worse as a result of brexit, it’ll be Europe’s fault.
Fear not, Labour will be blaming immigrants and the disabled, like the good old days.

There's a couple of major newspapers like the Daily Mirror which is regarded as left wing, not extreme, but I doubt any British person would think the press is anything other than right wing and moving progressively right.
I disagree with that completely. Think of all the criticism the BBC gets for a perceived left bias, despite Laura K acting as a government mouthpiece.

On the rare occasions when the Daily Mail have written a piece straight on no deal Brexit -there was one listing changes, warning of needing insurance, risk of fresh food shortages etc...- their readers have kicked off, blasting the paper for being leftie and remainer.
Same when they occasionally criticised the government U-turns, schools fiasco etc..
The right feels there is a massive bias, despite the fact it's clear bullshit.

In the UK, the main point of attack for the right is directed at the BBC rather than the newspapers. As for newspapers, and going from broadsheets through middlebrow to tabloids, we have:

The Times - right wing
The Mirror - left wing
The Star - tits
I went and checked out the star's online presence because of this. Very disappointing.

I disagree with that completely. Think of all the criticism the BBC gets for a perceived left bias, despite Laura K acting as a government mouthpiece.

On the rare occasions when the Daily Mail have written a piece straight on no deal Brexit -there was one listing changes, warning of needing insurance, risk of fresh food shortages etc...- their readers have kicked off, blasting the paper for being leftie and remainer.
Same when they occasionally criticised the government U-turns, schools fiasco etc..
The right feels there is a massive bias, despite the fact it's clear bullshit.

But as you say it's so rare that the DM write such things it's thus rare that they think the Mail and Express are leftie otherwise nearly all their readers wouldn't read it. I was talking about newspapers and I have no opinion on the BBC, haven't watched it for over a decade. Only British channel I watch is Sky News.

Those same readers will be pilloring Boris in the not too distant future, but he was their idol.

The Times - right wing
The Mirror - left wing
The Star - tits
Couple more.

The Indepedent - left wing
Metro - right wing (owned by DM's parent)
The Financial Times - I actually find it the most neutral (I'm sure others will deem it right cos financial). It's very critical of the government on a competency basis, as it was with Trump.

Sometimes, 1988 Bruges Speech
"Britain does not dream of some cosy, isolated existence on the fringes of the European Community. Our destiny is in Europe, as part of the Community. "

Maybe someone should tell Sir David
Someone should but he's one of these public representatives that block replies on their social media. The tit.

Thatcher isn't some semi mythical figure who never even saw us in the EU. You could maybe put forward that argument about Churchill for instance but, if she would have been so happy, why didn't she take us out of the EU in her 11 years in power?

So strange how these people think.

Thatcher isn't some semi mythical figure who never even saw us in the EU. You could maybe put forward that argument about Churchill for instance but, if she would have been so happy, why didn't she take us out of the EU in her 11 years in power?

Churchill, Zurich 1946
"What is this sovereign remedy? It is to recreate the European fabric, or as much of it as we can, and to provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, safety and freedom. We must build a kind of United States of Europe. In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living. The process is simple "

Many people believe Thatcher was coming around to that way of thinking; partly it was felt the French decision to sell the 'Exocet' missiles to Argentina during the Falklands war was the catalyst that had her questioning our role in the EU. The fact she did seriously consider whether to withdraw is what many believe ultimately led to her demise. Heseltine and Clarke are attributed the roles of principle (behind the scenes) 'plotters', but it was Geoffrey Howe that finally got to wield the knife.

Many people believe Thatcher was coming around to that way of thinking; partly it was felt the French decision to sell the 'Exocet' missiles to Argentina during the Falklands war was the catalyst that had her questioning our role in the EU. The fact she did seriously consider whether to withdraw is what many believe ultimately led to her demise. Heseltine and Clarke are attributed the roles of principle (behind the scenes) 'plotters', but it was Geoffrey Howe that finally got to wield the knife.

The Falklands was in 1982 , long before the speech and the idea of the Single Market of which Thatcher was a major factor. It was later in the early nineties with her problems with Delors that she started to be less entusiastic about Europe as she wanted Thatcherism throughout Europe, which was never going to happen. Thatcher wanted to be in the EU but wanted to dictate the way it was run.

To be fair, he didn't say what cake it was. Maybe he meant it was a cake made of shit and the UK can eat the shit cake all up.

Doesn't matter. He was fully aware that the EU was very concerned about the UK having access to the single market but without all the attendant costs and rules.
He was doing what he always does.
Making a complete fool of myself.

The Falklands was in 1982 , long before the speech and the idea of the Single Market of which Thatcher was a major factor. It was later in the early nineties with her problems with Delors that she started to be less entusiastic about Europe as she wanted Thatcherism throughout Europe, which was never going to happen. Thatcher wanted to be in the EU but wanted to dictate the way it was run.

This is true, but the fact a 'partner' in the EU had sold a devastating weapon to your enemy, whilst you were in an armed conflict situation and which specifically resulted in the subsequent loss of HMS Sheffield and the lives of many UK servicemen/women, was what had first put doubt in Thatcher's mind and into her questioning our role in the EU. The enmity that arose between her and Delors that you refer to came much later and was what probably became the point at which she was openly arguing with members of her cabinet about withdrawing from the EU. Its also what contributed to the plotters ( supposedly and initially involving John Major) but behind the scenes Heseltine and Clarke were being credited as the ring leaders. When Heseltine and Major, perhaps realized they might be 'in with a shout' for PM if Thatcher was to go, they both pulled back a bit, knowing in Tory Party tradition 'he who wields the knife, rarely gets to wear the Crown' . Geoffrey Howe was the one who 'did the deed' with his famous speech from the backbenchers.

This is true, but the fact a 'partner' in the EU had sold a devastating weapon to your enemy, whilst you were in an armed conflict situation and which specifically resulted in the subsequent loss of HMS Sheffield and the lives of many UK servicemen/women, was what had first put doubt in Thatcher's mind and into her questioning our role in the EU. The enmity that arose between her and Delors that you refer to came much later and was what probably became the point at which she was openly arguing with members of her cabinet about withdrawing from the EU. Its also what contributed to the plotters ( supposedly and initially involving John Major) but behind the scenes Heseltine and Clarke were being credited as the ring leaders. When Heseltine and Major, perhaps realized they might be 'in with a shout' for PM if Thatcher was to go, they both pulled back a bit, knowing in Tory Party tradition 'he who wields the knife, rarely gets to wear the Crown' . Geoffrey Howe was the one who 'did the deed' with his famous speech from the backbenchers.

France is one of the largest arms dealer on the planet and Argentina weren't an enemy of France, they were selling weapons including Super Etendard and exocets to Argentina before the war.

France is one of the largest arms dealer on the planet and Argentina weren't an enemy of France, they were selling weapons including Super Etendard and exocets to Argentina before the war.
Of course, the UK makes and sells arms as well, the issue was that Thatcher found out details not from our EU partner but from Al Haig...the 'special relationship' in action I suppose!

Of course, the UK makes and sells arms as well, the issue was that Thatcher found out details not from our EU partner but from Al Haig...the 'special relationship' in action I suppose!

Your european partners weren't supposed to give you military details about a country they weren't at war with, that would be a daft thing to do particularly when that country is a client. And who talked about a "special relationship" in the late 70s-early 80s?

To be fair by rule, he has a right to the french nationality and when he has it, his son will too.

So could Boris, his grandmother was born in Versailles and great-grandmother in Paris. Farage with his German passport, Jim Ratcliffe living it up in Monaco . You could laugh until you cry.
Get your souvenir Brexit Mugs here.

I'm not convinced by that Versailles, he looks like a farmer from the Tarn or the Aude.

I see Larry Elliott is still proudly flying the Lexit flag in the Guardian today then.