Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well that's ok but not everywhere is like France.

I don't know how all the EU countries operate but I could fly to the UK and back cheaper than paying the motorway toll to Paris and a lot quicker.

Really I'm just p!ssed off I never got the chance flash my French ID card at passport control. :smirk:

I don't know how all the EU countries operate but I could fly to the UK and back cheaper than paying the motorway toll to Paris and a lot quicker.

Really I'm just p!ssed off I never got the chance flash my French ID card at passport control. :smirk:
I'm just glad i did not have to get a dutch passport. it will be amusing when i next return from a visit to the uk. "how long are you intending to stay?"

"Well forever i guess"

I'm just glad i did not have to get a dutch passport. it will be amusing when i next return from a visit to the uk. "how long are you intending to stay?"

"Well forever i guess"

You'll probably have to stay in NL forever if you don't return to the UK before you retire, Priti Patel won't let you back in to live if you're a pensioner.

When the reality of the deal sinks in, the Brexiters will be the first to campaign to rejoin.:smirk:

Hmm. You could be right, but quite honestly I can not see that happening. Brexiteers are unlikely to ever admit that they were wrong, ever.
And the rest of us will just have to get used to the changes.

Making the UK safer...

UK quietly shifts away from promise of 'deep' foreign and security links with EU

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...se-of-deep-foreign-and-security-links-with-eu

They' are still lying to the public now and will continue to do so , Sunak's statement about services made me laugh out loud.

One thing is that there should not be any problem with the EU ratifying this, unless Spain wants Gibraltar resolved for example
As suspected the only way there was such a quick agreement was if Boris caved in and he didn't stop there.

Last edited:
Well that's ok but not everywhere is like France.
Same in Germany and other countries. I`ve been using my ID for years for travelling in Europe, also have a passport since I always renew them together but I know plenty who don`t have a valid one.
Don`t think it`ll be a big difference for UK tourism and I also expect the UK to accept IDs anyway at some point but I wouldn`t underestimate the amount of people who don`t have a valid passport.

it's the harbinger of doom i don't get. How dare a news reporter report the news
Not sure it's sneering about her language skills per se, but the piece has an odd, unpleasant tone. Isn't it more just saying those skills are no longer needed now we're out of Europe (we all speak English in Brexitland/overpaid BBC luvvie).

I think this was a relatively good deal for the UK. The level playing field clause had been removed and the EU can only 'review' any diversion after 4 years. After that any penalties will need to pass through an independent panel who'll take ages as well. This give the UK a free reign for quite a long time

The only problem is that services had been carefully kept out of the deal. That's were the beef is

Shed a tear for the real victims of Brexit.

5v2L6CN.jpg

I think this was a relatively good deal for the UK. The level playing field clause had been removed and the EU can only 'review' any diversion after 4 years. After that any penalties will need to pass through an independent panel who'll take ages as well. This give the UK a free reign for quite a long time

The only problem is that services had been carefully kept out of the deal. That's were the beef is

Hmm, Hope the ERG and Brexiteers see it the same way, brilliant deal (not for the UK)

I said a relatively good deal for the UK not a brilliant deal.

For the EU it's a brilliant deal, the EU states have very quickly backed it already and the EU parliament will take their time to scrutinise it for any loopholes before ratifying it by the end of February whilst it is provisionally applied at the end of this week.
If this is what Brexit was all about ... then ..um...no words.

For the EU it's a brilliant deal, the EU states have very quickly backed it already and the EU parliament will take their time to scrutinise it for any loopholes before ratifying it by the end of February whilst it is provisionally applied at the end of this week.
If this is what Brexit was all about ... then ..um...no words.

The EU states backed it already because Barnier stuck to their red lines + he kept them updated on a regular basis. At least he did it with Malta and let's face it, we're hardly an EU juggernaut of a country. So if he acted that way with us then surely he did the same with the bigger guns ie France, Germany, Italy etc.

This deal was always going to be pro EU. It's the bigger market after all. However the UK won a major concession regarding the level playing field clause. I wonder if its a concession the EU will one day regret.

The end of September, not the end of October.
No deal (no FTA) still looks inevitable.

It's amazing how the reality you described just a few months ago is so different to the reality now, yet you're still striking exactly the same tone as before. It's almost as if regardless of what actually happened, your belief about the impact of it was unchangeable.

Which level playing field clause has been removed?

The EU cannot "review" any diversion and couldn't in the draft either, under the rebalancing chapter either side can request a review of the operation of the trade no sooner than four years into the agreement.

Penalties were already supposed to pass through an independent panel(the arbitration tribunal) and either sides can unilaterally take rebalancing measures before arbitrations are concluded, they just need to notify without delay the other part through the partnership council which was already the case.

It's amazing how the reality you described just a few months ago is so different to the reality now, yet you're still striking exactly the same tone as before. It's almost as if regardless of what actually happened, your belief about the impact of it was unchangeable.

I said it looked inevitable because I didn't think Boris would cave in, there's no deal on services, they have no access to important EU programmes apart from some they have decided to pay for and basically they still have to follow EU rules and have lost NI in all but name. But well done.

Which level playing field clause has been removed?

The EU cannot "review" any diversion and couldn't in the draft either, under the rebalancing chapter either side can request a review of the operation of the trade no sooner than four years into the agreement.

Penalties were already supposed to pass through an independent panel(the arbitration tribunal) and either sides can unilaterally take rebalancing measures before arbitrations are concluded, they just need to notify without delay the other part through the partnership council which was already the case.

I shouldn't have said removed but it had been toned down significantly

The EU states backed it already because Barnier stuck to their red lines + he kept them updated on a regular basis. At least he did it with Malta and let's face it, we're hardly an EU juggernaut of a country. So if he acted that way with us then surely he did the same with the bigger guns ie France, Germany, Italy etc.

This deal was always going to be pro EU. It's the bigger market after all. However the UK won a major concession regarding the level playing field clause. I wonder if its a concession the EU will one day regret.

Yes the EU states have been informed right the way through and the EU have been transparent. The level playing field has not gone.
Imagine the UK started playing dirty, any services agreement could stop at any time and the EU have customs to control goods.

I'm not sure there's a good understanding among posters yet about what's in the deal. The IPPR initial analysis is worth reading: https://www.ippr.org/files/2020-12/agreement-on-future-relationship-ippr-assessment-f.pdf

The section on the 'level playing field' is on pages 7-9. They seem to think it's quite weak. In brief:
The agreement also has important implications for future UK policy on labour and environmental protections, as well as rules for state aid. A key element of the negotiations was the so-called ‘level playing field’ – the rules for fair competition designed to underpin the trade agreement. However, the commitments on labour and environmental standards are considerably weaker than expected; there is only a commitment not to lower current levels of protection to the extent that any reductions may affect trade or investment. Given it is notoriously difficult to prove that any lowering of protections affects trade or investment, the deal is unlikely to prevent the UK government from weakening EU-derived labour and environmental policies if it so chooses.

I said a relatively good deal for the UK not a brilliant deal.

I would say that after all those months of tense negotiations, the fact that both sides had come to an agreement on a future trading arrangement is a big achievement.
To have got a no tariffs and no quota arrangement with the world's biggest trading body has to be far better than not.
But to expect not to have to give a significant amount in return for that access would be unreasonable.
I am not sure that it helps claiming one side or the other had a better outcome.
Given the position the UK was in, continued access to the single market has to be worth the downside.

I'm not sure there's a good understanding among posters yet about what's in the deal. The IPPR initial analysis is worth reading: https://www.ippr.org/files/2020-12/agreement-on-future-relationship-ippr-assessment-f.pdf

The section on the 'level playing field' is on pages 7-9. They seem to think it's quite weak. In brief:

I somewhat agree with them, it seems weak. Reading it I really feel that the only goal was to create a framework for future agreements.

Suspect this is a 'deal' to allow both sides to step back and get lost in the detail.
The time for anyone to work out what any of it really means will be when there is a difference to existing provisions/regulations that one or other side wants to make, then if there are any balloons to go up this is when the 'hot air' will surface. Otherwise it will be back to fighting Covid.

Looks like the ERG are backing the deal...

FT: Hardline Tory Brexiters signal support for EU trade deal
Eurosceptic Tory MPs in the influential European Research Group are poised to give their seal of approval to the EU-UK trade deal within hours, in a fresh boost for prime minister Boris Johnson.

Although some senior Eurosceptics have called for more time to scrutinise the legislation, the ERG is expected to give its formal approval on Tuesday, subject to a final meeting.