Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im asking how a European was able to get into the uk without a passport? Because Paul seems to think th uk will miss out on millions of passport less European tourists. I have never been able to fly to the uk without a passport so i am genuinely intrigued.

Because the Uk don't have ID cards whereas Europe does and in France they are free and now last 15 years. My daughter (dual-national since birth and lives next door) was last on a passport when she was on mine when she was a kid and is now in her forties and has travelled all over Europe and to the UK many times as have my two grandsons who have never had a passport and also travelled all over Europe including the UK .

I doubt there are many EU citizens traveling to the UK who don't already have a passport. If you can afford the flight ticket you can afford to have a passport. The potential hassle of going through an airport without one is too big to not have it, even if you technically don't need it m

I doubt there are many EU citizens traveling to the UK who don't already have a passport. If you can afford the flight ticket you can afford to have a passport. The potential hassle of going through an airport without one is too big to not have it, even if you technically don't need it m

There was no hassle, and the flights used to cost peanuts Another Brexit misinformation. Anyway you'll soon find out.

Because the Uk don't have ID cards whereas Europe does and in France they are free and now last 15 years. My daughter (dual-national since birth and lives next door) was last on a passport when she was on mine when she was a kid and is now in her forties and has travelled all over Europe and to the UK many times as have my two grandsons who have never had a passport and also travelled all over Europe including the UK .
My mrs always travelled in passport everywhere including uk. I had no id until this summer, i needed it for brexit but never use it.

There was no hassle, and the flights used to cost peanuts Another Brexit misinformation. Anyway you'll soon find out.
I meant in general when it comes to passing through airports. Paranoid whopper.

Something I don't quite understand yet: why is one referendum so decisive? To leave the fecking European Union because of one referendum is quite drastic, no?

What if in 20 years time people want another referendum and vote to join the EU again? You can do this every 10 years and the results can vary.

Again, how is 1 referendum so decisive?

Because Cameron is a clown is the easiest way to explain it.

Nah, it'll be fine. It'll be the end of Scotland if we actually let the fecktards in the SNP get their way. A bunch of halfwits who have the piss easy job of moaning about the UK government, and a bunch of halfwits who believe having a difference of opinion should mean division. Anti brexit, but pro nationalism. feck off. It's a mess up here.

Okay random.conservative on the internet you have completely changed my mind with your thoroughly informative non biased comment. Hope you have a good hogmany amongst the ungrateful peasantry.

I meant in general when it comes to passing through airports. Paranoid whopper.

But it's because UK don't have ID cards so they think everyone needs a passport- whereas EU nationals can travel all over Europe without buying a passport. I meant everyting doesn't revolve around the UK without trying to sound paranoid :angel: , if I flew back to France from the UK rarely a French person had a passport on the flight when going through passport control.

Paranoid Whoppers can you get them in duty free? You can find out the next time you are lining up for ages to get home from Magaluf.

Isn't B20 Danish?

I know its pretty classic of the internet in general but this thread is so toxic. Any deviation from the one message allowed is usually met with such an aggressive attitude, even if the person posting that is a remainer, not even British or likely agrees with the 'attacker' on 99% of the topic of conversation anyway.

(Having said that, I thought the debate in the last couple of pages has been relatively civil). Though really, as it should be, considering almost everyone on here feels roughly the same way about the topic at hand.

Isn't B20 Danish?

I know its pretty classic of the internet in general but this thread is so toxic. Any deviation from the one message allowed is usually met with such an aggressive attitude, even if the person posting that is a remainer, not even British or likely agrees with the 'attacker' on 99% of the topic of conversation anyway.

That's Brexit for you. It's quite funny how monocultural the CAF is politically though.

My mrs always travelled in passport everywhere including uk. I had no id until this summer, i needed it for brexit but never use it.

You're a UK national aren't you, my son-in-law is a UK national living here with a Carte de Séjour (which he didn't need until now) . Is your mrs Dutch and does she have an ID card? If she had one she could just have used the ID card to go to the UK.

Isn't B20 Danish?

(Having said that, I thought the debate in the last couple of pages has been relatively civil). Though really, as it should be, considering almost everyone on here feels roughly the same way about the topic at hand.

No fecking clue. Is he Jan Molby in disguise?

Wow ... what has it been, like 30 - 50 years of EU membership and free movement of EU peoples .... and this is still in open dispute?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm

If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another.

Even if you don't need a passport for border checks within the Schengen area , it is still always highly recommended to take a passport or ID card with you, so you can prove your identity if needed (if stopped by police, boarding a plane, etc.). Schengen EU countries have the possibility of adopting national rules obliging you to hold or carry papers and documents when you are present on their territory.

Driving licences, post, bank or tax cards are not accepted as valid travel documents or proof of identity.

But it's because UK don't have ID cards so they think everyone needs a passport- whereas EU nationals can travel all over Europe without buying a passport. I meant everyting doesn't revolve around the UK without trying to sound paranoid :angel: , if I flew back to France from the UK rarely a French person had a passport on the flight when going through passport control.
I am not from the UK. I always travel with a passport when flying.

No fecking clue. Is he Jan Molby in disguise?

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's Danish (or at the very least lives in Denmark and has for a while) and I'm pretty sure he's spent the last few years talking about how nonsensical Brexit is.

Which again raises the question of the point of your factually incorrect response was and why so many people on this thread are so aggressive and jump on the slightest comment that isn't essentially 'The UK is shit in every way and will become a 3rd world country after Brexit', even if coming from someone who is technically on the same side or, in this case, not even British.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's Danish (or at the very least lives in Denmark and has for a while) and I'm pretty sure he's spent the last few years talking about how nonsensical Brexit is.

Which again raises the question of the point of your factually incorrect response was and why so many people on this thread are so aggressive and jump on the slightest comment that isn't essentially 'The UK is shit in every way and will become a 3rd world country after Brexit', even if coming from someone who is technically on the same side or, in this case, not even British.

No it's pounced upon when incorrect facts are given because surely the UK have been fed enough lies to last a lifetime and then people continue to repeat the same load of nonsense.

No it's pounced upon when incorrect facts are given because surely the UK have been fed enough lies to last a lifetime and then people continue to repeat the same load of nonsense.

Ah yes, B20 the Dane, living in Denmark, against Brexit, must really have been taken in by those Brexit lies in the British media.

Ah yes, B20 the Dane, living in Denmark, against Brexit, must really have been taken in by those Brexit lies in the British media.

You may have noticed that that conversation has moved on.
For one last time - one did NOT need a passport to travel to the UK and one does NOT need a passport to travel to another EU country in the Schengen area if you are an EU national.

Or as I can afford to buy a car I must be able to afford a caravan even though I don't need one just in case I want to have a nap. Jesus.

Trouble is information is supplied by Brexit TV and media.
From all the stuff I've read and watched about Brexit the last few years, I can understand your frustration. We've just been saturated with so much lies and misinformation that we get agitated at the slightest hint of it. (I'm not implying B20 is, btw. It's probably a misunderstanding, I think).

Especially considering how much harm it has caused and how there are zero consequences. Even huge profit for the people who some might suspect, deliberately engineered this whole shameful debacle.

I feel the same frustration when I see people tell lies about Covid 19 or the vaccine, etc etc.

You may have noticed that that conversation has moved on.
For one last time - one did NOT need a passport to travel to the UK and one does NOT need a passport to travel to another EU country in the Schengen area if you are an EU national.

Or as I can afford to buy a car I must be able to afford a caravan even though I don't need one just in case I want to have a nap. Jesus.

How has that conversation moved on? That is the only conversation I've engaged in on this page, after an Irishman told a Dane he'd be waiting in a Spanish airport after his holiday from Magaluf, thinking they were a Brit. You'll have noticed the conversation wasn't with you either.

I haven't made a single comment today or previously on the use of passports or ID cards in Europe.

From all the stuff I've read and watched about Brexit the last few years, I can understand your frustration. We've just been saturated with so much lies and misinformation that we get agitated at the slightest hint of it. (I'm not implying B20 is, btw. It's probably a misunderstanding, I think).

Especially considering how much harm it has caused and how there are zero consequences. Even huge profit for the people who some might suspect, deliberately engineered this whole shameful debacle.

I feel the same frustration when I see people tell lies about Covid 19 or the vaccine, etc etc.

I wasn't really talking about B20 or Stanley who I know is British and lives in Holland and we've had a few friendly sparring matches over the years.
There are several factions but the faction that really now seems to frustrate me te most is those who seem to be remainers but that if there is the slightest criticism of the UK they get offended .

While the posters in this thread are generally right on the facts, the way they present them is sometimes a little biased (understandably). For example:

It's going to be a bit harder for EU citizens to travel to the UK - "so dumb... the UK is going to lose tourists."
It's going to be a bit harder for UK citizens to travel to the EU - "so dumb... UK citizens are going to have to queue longer."

It needs to be settled, do you intend to go to Magaluf with that passport?

:lol: That's the light hearted spirit I want to see. Asking the real and difficult questions we all want answered JPR.

How has that conversation moved on? That is the only conversation I've engaged in on this page, after an Irishman told a Dane he'd be waiting in a Spanish airport after his holiday from Magaluf, thinking they were a Brit. You'll have noticed the conversation wasn't with you either.

I haven't made a single comment today or previously on the use of passports or ID cards in Europe.

B20 was replying to me originally and that conversation has moved on.

While the posters in this thread are generally right on the facts, the way they present them is sometimes a little biased (understandably). For example:

It's going to be a bit harder for EU citizens to travel to the UK - "so dumb... the UK is going to lose tourists."
It's going to be a bit harder for UK citizens to travel to the EU - "so dumb... UK citizens are going to have to queue longer."

The tourists that the UK and the EU are going to partially lose are the ones that would get into a Eurostar on a whim. If I'm not mistaken they represent a large number and cities like London, Paris and Amsterdam will probably suffer a little bit from it. The rest of the UK and the EU don't give a damn though.

Back on topic, I can't help but feel that Starmer saying he'll vote for the deal is a mistake.

-it's a shite deal and much worse than staying in the EU
-It doesn't allow him or the Labour Party to distance themselves from the inevitable fallout. Despite his words, if he tries to nail the tories or Johnson on something in the future, they will rightly turn around and say.... Well, you voted for it?

Abstaining seems the best thing in my opinion.

Why is it biased, anything that makes things harder or more expensive will dissuade people from doing things, it's not biased it's just the way it is. Haven't got onto companies yet ....

Back on topic, I can't help but feel that Starmer saying he'll vote for the deal is a mistake.

-It doesn't allow him or the Labour Party to distance themselves from the inevitable fallout. Despite his words, if he tries to nail the tories or Johnson on something in the future, they will rightly turn around and say.... Well, you voted for it?

But he doesn't care about Northern Ireland, Wales or Scotland and the deal nobbles the City of London particularly badly so maybe it's a good deal for him, who knows. God the man is fecking wet isn't he. Much as I liked Corbyn, that was always my main criticism of him, just too much of a wet blanket when sometimes the leader needs to be ruthless. And somehow they've replaced him with a man that's happy to be ruthless in purging his own party but utterly simpering and wet, even more so than Corbyn, when it comes to anything outward facing. I really think the Labour party have scored yet another massive own goal with this saucer faced gimp and will again lose the next election. The only thing that can save him is a complete meltdown of the economy post-Brexit I reckon.

But the UK is already out, I have been too lazy to read the signed deal seriously but based on the drafts the deal is essentially a framework for future arrangements. Yes it's worse than being in the EU in 2021 but I have the suspiscion that both sides are going to add new wrinkles discreetly through the specialized commitees while no one is looking. Today the important point was to fix the border and governance issues from that point brexiteers are at the mercy of Westminster/Brussels and bureaucrats from both sides.

This part I don't understand. Why is Starmer rallying everyone to vote for the deal? They way I see it, the Tories will win this regardless of opposition because they have the majority, right?

So why bother supporting something many of them know is bad?

Really makes all the jokes about Starmer being a closet Tory to be eerily close to reality.

Why is it biased, anything that makes things harder or more expensive will dissuade people from doing things, it's not biased it's just the way it is. Haven't got onto companies yet ....
I think you know what I'm saying. When there are mutual negatives, they get presented as mostly or solely negative for the UK.

I think you know what I'm saying. When there are mutual negatives, they get presented as mostly or solely negative for the UK.

Right but it's an imbalance of negatives. They are the bigger party. It's a smaller loss for them than us which is why the deal is worse than what we got as part of the trading bloc. The smaller party invariably gets screwed in the deal.

Right but it's an imbalance of negatives. They are the bigger party. It's a smaller loss for them than us which is why the deal is worse than what we got as part of the trading bloc. The smaller party invariably gets screwed in the deal.
I'm not talking about the deal or concept of Brexit as a whole which is obviously far more severe for the UK than the EU as a block, but specific elements.