Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No it's not released yet and still has to be agreed by the UK and EU parliaments but being outside the Custom's Union already meant that the UK can negotiate their own agreements which was not part of this agreement but in the Withdrawal Agreement.from January 2020
I get that but still being giving non tariff access to trade on top has surprised me. Still best wait to see the document which as I'm now pissed on cider and rum won't be in my evening plans.

I think Christmas Eve should be renamed to Brexit Eve in celebration of this great achievement. Or actually maybe BJ Day. You'll be sucking off the EU to get back in within a few years anyway so it's quite fitting.

I get that but still being giving non tariff access to trade on top has surprised me. Still best wait to see the document which as I'm now pissed on cider and rum won't be in my evening plans.
The EU has a significant trade surplus with the UK. Tariff and quota free trade is in their interest.

That's not bad then, sucks about the EHIC though.

Yeah, no travel (except Netherlands I think). That's a seperate issue, but we really should make COVID tests mandatory for exit and entry
Covid aside, from Jan 1st Brits are third-party nationals. You also have to make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months, and the duty-free shopping rules will change, of course!

The EU has a significant trade surplus with the UK. Tariff and quota free trade is in their interest.
Again I understand this. I'm just surprised is all. It's sounding like that whole have your cake and eat it thing they were parping on about.

Non tariff if the UK are good boys seems to be the idea. Have to wait until after Xmas before going into details I think.

It was a free trade agreement negotiation so it shouldn't be a surprise that there are no tariffs, the issue was the custom checks and the existence of a border.

Edit: For me as long as the deal doesn't create issues for Ireland and Gibraltar, the rest is manageable, it's just money.

Again I understand this. I'm just surprised is all. It's sounding like that whole have your cake and eat it thing they were parping on about.
Only a trade surplus if you don’t include services I believe? Might be wrong though.

Great. I look forward to the spike in racially and religiously aggravated hate crimes to beat the one recorded after the referendum result.

The Sun crowing about the pound rising today. Yes of course that means Brexit was great for sterling...all the more to spend on the health insurance you need now.
All these shitrags crowing about Brexit still can't find anything more positive than something 'will cost more or less the same'.

How will a deal affect holidays?
Aside from getting a better exchange rate for your travel money, Brexit will have an impact on your holiday, particularly for travel insurance.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/1356...es-pound-holidays-food-prices-interest-rates/

Pretty predictably, better than no deal but much worse than EU membership (unless you have purely ideological reasons for not wanting the latter).

Wonder what the 90+ day visa process will be like?

Surely people will use companies like action-visas? I suppose that there is an equivalent in the UK.

Trivial question but does anyone know if we can still use our phone data in Europe? Google maps has been a god send to me when i travel.

Pretty predictably, better than no deal but much worse than EU membership (unless you have purely ideological reasons for not wanting the latter).

Wonder what the 90+ day visa process will be like?

The Trade in services looks ominous - has Boris sold out the City for few fish? Will have to see the details.

Standard travel will be limited to 90 days out of 180 and not consecutive 90 days either, for longer with a visa there must be a work reason I presume, but details are going to be important.

Trivial question but does anyone know if we can still use our phone data in Europe? Google maps has been a god send to me when i travel.
Apparently most major networks aren't bringing back roaming charges. Hope it stays that way.

What a monumental and complete asswipe he is.

I hope to see the day we rejoin.

From a personal point of view, I'm delighted though. Not just getting a deal when no deal started to look thr most likely recently. But hopefully this and, to some extent, the end of brexit as the foremost domestic policy issue, will allow some space to let the people heal. And to hopefully temper the horrible comments that some of our idiot politicians have been making about other European countries and the EU in the past 5 years.

The Trade in services looks ominous - has Boris sold out the City for few fish? Will have to see the details.
I don't think the deal will have very much at all on financial services in it. The EU has been firm that equivalence decisions for financial services will be unilateral on both sides.

The Sun crowing about the pound rising today. Yes of course that means Brexit was great for sterling...all the more to spend on the health insurance you need now.
All these shitrags crowing about Brexit still can't find anything more positive than something 'will cost more or less the same'.

How will a deal affect holidays?
Aside from getting a better exchange rate for your travel money, Brexit will have an impact on your holiday, particularly for travel insurance.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/1356...es-pound-holidays-food-prices-interest-rates/

It actually dropped 0.50 after it was announced having climbed in expectancy earlier in the day.

Interesting on healthcare from the UK summary:
118. In addition, the Protocol will ensure necessary healthcare provisions – akin to those provided by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme – continue. This means individuals who are temporarily staying in another country, for example a UK national who is in an EU Member State for a holiday, will have their necessary healthcare needs met for the period of their stay.
Will need to see the details on that one, but sounds potentially promising.

Briefly tuned in to the Boris press conference earlier..

What is your message to those who voted stay? Great deal. Good for everyone. Lets move on. We will build something better with this treaty!
Compromise on what areas of negotiations? Said something vague about free access? and the UK being able to fish a lot more.
Impact on service sector and financial sector? Thank you for that question. Services are covered. We are fine. We will be able to do even more business now (?).
How UK will cope with lack of access to EU security databases? Great Question. With absolute confidence. We have our own processes and systems.
Leaving Erasmus situation? Uhhhhh. Well, we will have our very own scheme. Our students will go everywhere!

I'm paraphrasing obviously, but no substance on a single answer.

Didn't learn a damn thing from that.. except maybe the fish thing (is the fish industry that significant to you lot?)

It actually dropped 0.50 after it was announced having climbed in expectancy earlier in the day.
It hit a two year high against USD yesterday though tbf.
Has there been much talk about fleshing this deal out? Seems very limited in scope.

The fact you don’t know what is in the deal but you have already decided it suits everyone equally is the most explicit form of confirmation bias you can have. The party with the better hand gets the better deal. They never start with the same hand. That’s just how negotiations work. A particularly strong negotiation can overcome that power imbalance but there has been no evidence of that from either side.
Totally agree. I'm glad there is a deal in some form. But I'll reserve judgement until we know the detail.

The track record of this government repeatedly claiming "World beating", but then serving up a mouldy old turd means I'll wait to see the detail.

,l
It hit a two year high against USD yesterday though tbf.
Has there been much talk about fleshing this deal out? Seems very limited in scope.

I would expect when Trump has gone and Biden installed, the USD will strengthen, the Euro has been very strong against the USD as well so I think it's more USD weakness at the moment.
I don't fancy reading 2000 pages but seems not much more than a FTA with no tariffs as long as the UK and EU remain close in their objectives.

Question is where are all the Brexiters crying out for WTO rules ?