Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Economics editor Faisal Islam writes: "Whereas the ongoing export of Ware potatoes for eating is confirmed, seed potatoes will be banned."

Industries getting savaged. Not to worry though, we're going to stay positive, cos a deal is being done, that must be positive right?

Hopefully the text is published soon so we can move the debate on from whether there will be a deal or no-deal to whether it's a good or bad deal.
Imo, there's nothing like "good deal". Its between a bad deal and a worse deal. Nothing they can come up with will be as good as what we had.

[

I echo your sentiments. I was never in favour of us leaving the EU but I do so hope we make a success of this. It has always seemed very strange and perverse that there are many U.K. nationals that seemed to want us to fail miserably. Such an attitude I will never understand. Wishing the U.K. to fail merely to be able to say ‘I told you so’ leaves a nasty after taste.

seems to be a modern day attitude. Whether that’s the case in ‘real life’, or just peoples online/ internet personas is what is of real interest.

it is a bizarre attitude to have in any case, but suspect (hope), it’s less prevalent when the mask of anonymity is removed.

They were always going to announce an agreement but they used the remaining time to sort out some lesser elements. They won't let it hold up the actual deal.

Were the UK government ever going to not make this go to the last minute?

im not defending the government here, but most negotiations go to the wire - and in particular the EU are well known to take big decisions to the last possible minute.

I certainly don’t believe there was always going to be an agreement, although very difficult to know as you would have to see through all the posturing from both sides - and I’m not sure we will ever have a good handle on actually what happens behind the scenes without the bluster.

So we're past the predictable "no deal is likely" theatrics, now moving onto the "we won negotiations" stage. That'll probably work again, I guess.

Imo, there's nothing like "good deal". Its between a bad deal and a worse deal. Nothing they can come up with will be as good as what we had.
Well yes, obviously from our perspective as Remainers it's not going to provide the same rights (or obligations) as EU membership.

I mean 'good deal' while respecting the Brexiteers' red-lines of no freedom of movement (leave single market) and an independent trade policy (leave customs union). A 'good deal' in that context would be one that minimises the hit to UK GDP as much as is possible through a balanced agreement, while leaving sufficient freedom to join the TPP or other trade blocks if Britain wishes, and seek competitive advantages where available. And close cooperation on security, data, and all the other non-trade elements.

Well yes, obviously from our perspective as Remainers it's not going to provide the same rights (or obligations) as EU membership.

I mean 'good deal' while respecting the Brexiteers red-lines of no freedom of movement (leave single market) and an independent trade policy (leave customs union). A 'good deal' in that context would be one that minimises the hit to UK GDP as much as is possible through a balanced agreement, while leaving sufficient freedom to join the TPP or other trade blocks if Britain wishes, and seek competitive advantages where available. And close cooperation on security, data, and all the other non-trade elements.

You think leaving the custom's union is a good thing. Independent trade policy seems to mean add tariff-free stilton to to the Japanese deal negotiated by the EU when the Japanese don't eat it.
Seems like there will have to be dual certification, unbelievably expensive and the finance sector looks poor for the UK. Keep believing.

I mean 'good deal' while respecting the Brexiteers' red-lines of no freedom of movement (leave single market) and an independent trade policy (leave customs union). A 'good deal' in that context would be one that minimises the hit to UK GDP as much as is possible through a balanced agreement, while leaving sufficient freedom to join the TPP or other trade blocks if Britain wishes, and seek competitive advantages where available. And close cooperation on security, data, and all the other non-trade elements.

Let's not do their propaganda for them hey? They promised that Brexit would improve our lives; cobbling together some shit hawk deal to stave off the diaster of a no deal Brexit in no way represents them coming close to delivering on their promises.

You think leaving the custom's union is a good thing. Independent trade policy seems to mean add tariff-free stilton to to the Japanese deal negotiated by the EU when the Japanese don't eat it.
Seems like there will have to be dual certification, unbelievably expensive and the finance sector looks poor for the UK. Keep believing.
I don’t think it’s a good thing to leave the Customs Union. I’d rejoin the EU tomorrow if we could.

Let's not do their propaganda for them hey? They promised that Brexit would improve our lives; cobbling together some shit hawk deal to stave off the diaster of a no deal Brexit in no way represents them coming close to delivering on their promises.
I just can't be bothered to re-fight the old battles. We lost, and we left the EU. I now hope we manage to somehow make the best of it.

The benefits, or more likely negative consequences, of Brexit will only really be able to be judged over the timespan of decades. The world is too complicated to be too sure of anything. It's very likely going to make us poorer as a country in many ways, but hey, we're going to find out for real now. The short-term pain is clearly going to be significant, but probably somewhat masked by the pandemic impact.

I just can't be bothered to re-fight the old battles. We lost, and we left the EU. I now hope we manage to somehow make the best of it.

The benefits, or more likely negative consequences, of Brexit will only really be able to be judged over the timespan of decades. The world is too complicated to be too sure of anything. It's very likely going to make us poorer as a country in many ways, but hey, we're going to find out for real now. The short-term pain is clearly going to be significant, but probably somewhat masked by the pandemic impact.

It's not exactly fighting old battles to say 'this deal is not the utopia that you promised', is it?

I don’t think it’s a good thing to leave the Customs Union. I’d rejoin the EU tomorrow if we could.

I know and some kind of deal is better than a no deal but it seems like people are happy that only four of their toes have been cut off one of their feet instead of all five.

Sad day really as this now decides the future of the UK as in eight days time the outcome of all this nonsense will become reality. So glad I don't live in the UK any more or I would have been apoplectic by now.

Maybe the EU team have been hanging around our negotiators for too long. It might be contagious.

I have no idea about that. I guess we'll know more when it's finally announced.
I don't know the finer details, but I was reading about some possible scenarios earlier in the week, and one issue pointed out was that the EU parliament only reviews things once they have been translated in all 28(?) EU languages. I doubt they'll make an exception for this, and certainly not if it means everything will have to be read in English (that'd be particularly controversial for this document). On the other hand, I would imagine the document has been in translation all along. They haven't been writing those 2,000 pages yesterday; I imagine it's been relatively small changes in the course of the past week. (In terms of paragraphs, I mean.)

I know and some kind of deal is better than a no deal but it seems like people are happy that only four of their toes have been cut off one of their feet instead of all five.

Sad day really as this now decides the future of the UK as in eight days time the outcome of all this nonsense will become reality. So glad I don't live in the UK any more or I would have been apoplectic by now.

With due respect Paul you have been sounding apoplectic every since the result of the referendum was known. Still the fat lady hasn't sung...yet! who knows?

In the end and whether they admit it or not, both sides will have to thank the Covid crisis for rescuing their respective butts! A 'no deal would' almost certainly have happened with out it, the stakes for both sides were too high... but not high enough to out do the Covid saga!

A world wide pandemic changes everything and this 'politicised' outcome (as we now expect it will be) is likely to be only the first in lengthening lines of, 'lets think again folks' outcomes.

Last edited:
With due respect Paul you have been sounding apoplectic every since the result of the referendum was known. Still the fat lady hasn't sung...yet! who knows?

In the end and whether they admit it or not, both sides will have to thank the Covid crisis for rescuing their respective butts! A 'no deal would' almost certainly have happened with out it, the stakes for both sides were too high... but not high enough to out do the Covid saga!

A world wide pandemic changes everything and this 'politicised' outcome (as we now expect it will be) is likely to be only the first in lengthening lines of, 'lets thinks again folks' outcomes.

I've been very sad that the UK voted for this. If it was affecting me personally, the fury would have been magnified a millionfold.
Covid has only added to the problems of Brexit

It feels like celebrating avoiding relegation for a team who used to be Champions League contenders but small mercies I suppose.

A deal is better than no deal.

Anyone know anything about travel? Would we need a visa etc. to go Europe?

I will miss being in the EU.

Ursula speaking 3 languages fluently, and our leader can barely say the alphabet

I don't know the finer details, but I was reading about some possible scenarios earlier in the week, and one issue pointed out was that the EU parliament only reviews things once they have been translated in all 28(?) EU languages. I doubt they'll make an exception for this, and certainly not if it means everything will have to be read in English (that'd be particularly controversial for this document). On the other hand, I would imagine the document has been in translation all along. They haven't been writing those 2,000 pages yesterday; I imagine it's been relatively small changes in the course of the past week. (In terms of paragraphs, I mean.)
Well, we'll find out soon enough I guess

It´s about time that a deal was agreed for the benefit of every ones sake. I hope it´s in place before 1 January. It´s time to let business invest and plan their future on both sides in the effort to go to the future in pragmatic manner. The deal is likely not the ideal outcome but it beats trading on WTO terms so that a starting point to work from for the European Union and the Great Britain. The Conservatives can´t blame the EU for their own governing failures anymore if this deal gets approval in both parliaments and state leaders a cross the EU.