Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Briefly tuned in to the Boris press conference earlier..

What is your message to those who voted stay? Great deal. Good for everyone. Lets move on. We will build something better with this treaty!
Compromise on what areas of negotiations? Said something vague about free access? and the UK being able to fish a lot more.
Impact on service sector and financial sector? Thank you for that question. Services are covered. We are fine. We will be able to do even more business now (?).
How UK will cope with lack of access to EU security databases? Great Question. With absolute confidence. We have our own processes and systems.
Leaving Erasmus situation? Uhhhhh. Well, we will have our very own scheme. Our students will go everywhere!

I'm paraphrasing obviously, but no substance on a single answer.

Didn't learn a damn thing from that.. except maybe the fish thing (is the fish industry that significant to you lot?)
I think it's more about the semblance of control - fisheries is an illustration of the control a country/region has over it's area.
From what it seems now, the UK is now in the EU-lite, with a lot of the same advantages and controls, but with less influence over the shape of the EU.

Boris played everyone like a fiddle. At this hour, whatever the deal maybe, no one can be against it given the other option of No deal is far worse. So irrespective of the contents of the deal, it will be passed in parliament. If not, his narrative will be, I got a deal, Labour are responsible for the failure.

The Sun crowing about the pound rising today. Yes of course that means Brexit was great for sterling...all the more to spend on the health insurance you need now.
All these shitrags crowing about Brexit still can't find anything more positive than something 'will cost more or less the same'.

How will a deal affect holidays?
Aside from getting a better exchange rate for your travel money, Brexit will have an impact on your holiday, particularly for travel insurance.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/1356...es-pound-holidays-food-prices-interest-rates/
The pound was worth 1.4 EUR if I recall before the 2016 referendum? What is it now?

How does this deal affect those who holiday abroad for long periods? Ie not those with permanent residence, but have bought property abroad to spend summers in?

I think it's more about the semblance of control - fisheries is an illustration of the control a country/region has over it's area.
From what it seems now, the UK is now in the EU-lite, with a lot of the same advantages and controls, but with less influence over the shape of the EU.
It’s really nothing like being in EU lite. We have lost a lot of the benefits and obligations. Almost all in fact.

How does this deal affect those who holiday abroad for long periods? Ie not those with permanent residence, but have bought property abroad to spend summers in?
Stays of longer than 90 cumulative days in any 180 period likely to need visa or residency.

Depends how long you spend out there. Seems you can spend 90 days in a 180 day period in the EU still. So as long as its less than 3 months, you seemingly should be fine.

Longer than that, you'll probably have to cut it short/ come back to the UK for a bit and reset the clock.

Trade deals can take years - Paul de Wolf

But not this one.

Negotiating a much worse deal is easy. I'm waiting for the first deal the UK does on their own that isn't a photocopy of an EU deal. After all this was one of the major points of Brexit. India, China, USA ? Not holding one's breath.

The pound was worth 1.4 EUR if I recall before the 2016 referendum? What is it now?
It was 1.25 EUR in mid-June 2016 and is 1.11 EUR now. Can't exactly see any drivers for sterling strengthening short-term.

,l

I would expect when Trump has gone and Biden installed, the USD will strengthen, the Euro has been very strong against the USD as well so I think it's more USD weakness at the moment.
I don't fancy reading 2000 pages but seems not much more than a FTA with no tariffs as long as the UK and EU remain close in their objectives.

Question is where are all the Brexiters crying out for WTO rules ?
Yep dollar has been falling for quite a few months now.
A week to implement a 2,000 page document over Christmas will be a big ask of business.

Me neither. It was at 1.36EUR on 1st Jan 2016. The impending referendum and later the result drove it down.

I think you will find that the fall was more influenced by both the IMF and the Bank of England announcing in Mid 2015 that sterling was ’moderately’ overvalued.

I always thought there would be a deal but, looking back, the talk of a no deal Plan B was really aimed at the British electorate rather than the EU. Presented with the threat of chaos, the deal will now be viewed through a prism of relief by a large chunk of the public rather than be measured against the fantasies promised in 2016 by leading Brexiteers (including Johnson). For all he is a malevolent clown, Boris knows how to work his audience.

It's a deal But not as great as Boris and the fanfare from the usual tabloids are making it out to be. When all this settles down it will become clear.

I think you will find that the fall was more influenced by both the IMF and the Bank of England announcing in Mid 2015 that sterling was ’moderately’ overvalued.
Interesting, cheers. Will have a look into it. Probably not after a few mulled ciders though.! :)

Good that's sorted. I've no doubt that this will work out well for the UK after the next few years, and any deal which keeps trade going without taxes is a good thing.

Didn't want it but it'll be fine.

Negotiating a much worse deal is easy. I'm waiting for the first deal the UK does on their own that isn't a photocopy of an EU deal. After all this was one of the major points of Brexit. India, China, USA ? Not holding one's breath.

Admit victory - Admit defeat

Dont move goal posts, they dont always take years.

Houses can also be bought and sold in a day despite the legal bullshit in the background.

Trivial question but does anyone know if we can still use our phone data in Europe? Google maps has been a god send to me when i travel.
Apparently most major networks aren't bringing back roaming charges. Hope it stays that way.

UK carriers have stated "they have no plans" to bring back roaming charges. Unfortunately from 1st Jan EU carriers get given back the choice to charge Brits for using their services... I think we all know how that is going to go and that plans might change.

Of course it was - is that why it gained 10 cents between October and December 2015. Dear me.

I can't really understand your point on currencies if I am honest. If what you are saying is that the rate of exchange proves some point about being in or out of EU/EEC then do you have a graph of the relative strength of Sterling versus the Dmark/ Euro since we joined in the 70's? If this is your gold standard then lets at least measure the entire enterprise for fairness. I am not a lawyer so I am not asking because I know the answer, its a genuine question.