Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This could easily be a BNP(or whatever they are now called) platform in the next election.

Didn't the British Facist leader Oswald Mosley support a similar idea in the 1930/40's? He wanted to help Hitler create a 'Greater Germany' or some such idea?

The 'closer union' objective is now easier without the UK, so once the EU has got rid of the 'pesky' British they will surely never invite them back again?

The smaller EU states can now expect to go where they are pushed.

Well you now know you're in real trouble because everything he says is a lie.

A fact-free world with political leaders not getting punished. It really, really pisses me off.

Not sure when this nonsense will end. People will be just so turned off by politics that no one especially the next generation of potential voters just wont bother anymore. Then these bastards win.

Still convinced they will fudge something.

Yes, just maybe you are right, the 'hole in the dyke' has appeared... von der Leyen's statement about "in future if we move one way the UK can come with us or go its own way, and we will adjust", could be met by Boris saying "well we will keep to the present rules, but give no undertaking to go exactly were the EU goes in the future, without prejudice "... with both parties effectively agreeing to disagree... in the future.!

Job done now lets sign the papers and get down to the bar before last orders!

Don't you just love our PM for threatening our closest allies and European friends with the Navy gunboats. Simply crazy. But anything to deflect attention from another 516 deaths and over 21,000 new cases. I am afraid he has completely lost it. Bet the EU are impressed.

Don't you just love our PM for threatening our closest allies and European friends with the Navy gunboats. Simply crazy. But anything to deflect attention from another 516 deaths and over 21,000 new cases. I am afraid he has completely lost it. Bet the EU are impressed.

Boris just needs to start Johnson University and the circle is complete.

Good suggestions, but I think we need to be keep the number of countries down as much as possible.

See, this is the kind of sensible, pragmatic negotiation that needs to happen. I don't get why the Brexit negotiations are proving so difficult.
Well, I'm incensed. Finland is not part of Scandinavia. Holland is properly called the Netherlands. What about the German part of Belgium. And those croissants would be baked in the UK by UK bakers anyway.

This won't do at all, none of it. Booh.

tumblr_nm7zotzhtK1s053epo1_500.gif

Boris and ursula talking now apparently... guess it will be a short chat followed by a friendly mutual statement around 11:30... followed immediately by threats of gunboats and blockades

Aussie checking in here.....how on earth did gunboats/navy come into this? I mean, i get the idea is no deal = protecting UK fishing waters. But when did it escalate from some random vessel or written agreement to remain outside the waters to "the navy will protect our resources" :wenger: :lol:

Aussie checking in here.....how on earth did gunboats/navy come into this? I mean, i get the idea is no deal = protecting UK fishing waters. But when did it escalate from some random vessel or written agreement to remain outside the waters to "the navy will protect our resources" :wenger: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

There is precedent.....we take fishing very seriously in Europe :D.

I have no idea who thought sabre rattling/ litteral gunboat diplomacy was a good idea ... a few weeks ago I'm sure people would have said it was all Cummings but now I think they are just clutching at straws ... I mean honestly what would happen if a french boat caught a fish a few metres over an imaginary line... presumably the express and mail would want us to shoot them out the water and start an actual war?

Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen have released a joint statement saying talks can continue beyond Sunday.

We had a useful phone call this morning. We discussed the major unresolved topics.
Our negotiating teams have been working day and night over recent days.
And despite the exhaustion after almost a year of negotiations, despite the fact that deadlines have been missed over and over we think it is responsible at this point to go the extra mile.
We have accordingly mandated our negotiators to continue the talks and to see whether an agreement can even at this late stage be reached.

Yes, just maybe you are right, the 'hole in the dyke' has appeared... von der Leyen's statement about "in future if we move one way the UK can come with us or go its own way, and we will adjust", could be met by Boris saying "well we will keep to the present rules, but give no undertaking to go exactly were the EU goes in the future, without prejudice "... with both parties effectively agreeing to disagree... in the future.!

Job done now lets sign the papers and get down to the bar before last orders!
I see this as quite possible. I hear people saying things like in perpetuity and for ever and I don't quite get that. Any trade deal will only last as long as both parties want it and think it's fair. I'm still giving the chance of a deal slightly better than 50%, even if I'm in a diminishing band.

I see this as quite possible. I hear people saying things like in perpetuity and for ever and I don't quite get that. Any trade deal will only last as long as both parties want it and think it's fair. I'm still giving the chance of a deal slightly better than 50%, even if I'm in a diminishing band.

Im pretty much of the the same opinion but im also conscious that given the timescales we might reach a deal but there not be time to ratify it leaving a few weeks of no deal (wto rules) whilst a deal comes into force which for importers / exporters and chaos at the ports might be the worst possible scenario

I totally admit I know nothing about international trade deals, but if the EU are worried the UK's own rules or behaviour might diverge from theirs then I don't see what's to stop there being a clause in the deal whereby either side can terminate with 12, 24 or whatever month's notice. Maybe deals can't work that way for some reason, I don't mind being corrected.

I have no idea who thought sabre rattling/ litteral gunboat diplomacy was a good idea ... a few weeks ago I'm sure people would have said it was all Cummings but now I think they are just clutching at straws ... I mean honestly what would happen if a french boat caught a fish a few metres over an imaginary line... presumably the express and mail would want us to shoot them out the water and start an actual war?

Quite agree.
And it is the message that this sends to the international community about what Britain stands for going forward.
What is next. Our Aircraft Carrier. Can't do that because it is being readied to sail east to frighten China...

I totally admit I know nothing about international trade deals, but if the EU are worried the UK's own rules or behaviour might diverge from theirs then I don't see what's to stop there being a clause in the deal whereby either side can terminate with 12, 24 or whatever month's notice. Maybe deals can't work that way for some reason, I don't mind being corrected.

You basically described a formal withdrawal, which is what the UK did in 2017, you can always do that countries are sovereign. Here the problem isn't about how you can get out but how you make it work.

The difference with this discussion is that normally when countries or blocs negotiate such deals they are trying to move towards a common goal whereas the UK is trying to pull in a different direction so that immediately rings alarm bells which begs the question where are they trying to go. If the UK did something outrageous there would be immediate sanctions, penalties or whatever. If they still want the same terms then why leave in the first place.

You and Boris Johnson, both.

Quite agree.
And it is the message that this sends to the international community about what Britain stands for going forward.
What is next. Our Aircraft Carrier. Can't do that because it is being readied to sail east to frighten China...

Imagine the headline in the British media if Germany announced it was deploying gunboats to protect German waters from British fishermen.

Quite agree.
Not yet... thats not till stage 4
Stage 1 invade India
Stage 2 reintroduce slavery
Stage 3 realise tea picking quotas in india are being missed due to the amount of opium your tea picking slaves are smoking
Stage 4 send aircraft carrier to China and bomb civilians till China gives you Hong Kong and allows you to sell your opium there
Stage 5 invade Africa
Stage 6 start selling newly acquired african slaves to America
Stage 7 repurpose aircraft carrier to ship more slaves to America
Stage 8 nuke Australia
Stage 9 extradite all criminals and remoaners to Australia
Stage 9 blame France for everything and demand they pay the NHS £350m a week
Stage 10 rule Britaina

Imagine the headline in the British media if Germany announced it was deploying gunboats to protect German waters from British fishermen.

Just imagine eh.
I am a proud Englishman. But I have to say that the current situation is one quite honestly that makes me accutely embarrassed. Not good enough.

Stage 1 invade India
Stage 3 realise tea picking quotas in india are being missed due to the amount of opium your tea picking slaves are smoking
Stage 4 send aircraft carrier to China and bomb civilians till China gives you Hong Kong and allows you to sell your opium there
Stage 5 invade Africa
Stage 8 nuke Australia
Stage 10 rule Britaina

Could not have put it better my friend. It is about time Boris and his government started behaving as a government and not as a bunch of bully boys.
There is a time and a place for getting out the knuckle dusters. And this most certainly is not it.

I'm planning to move to an EU country this summer. Would it be safe to assume my £s that I have been saving up will be worth nothing when I convert them into Euros due to a weak pound?

You basically described a formal withdrawal, which is what the UK did in 2017, you can always do that countries are sovereign. Here the problem isn't about how you can get out but how you make it work.
It would be similar to Brexit in terms of trade yes, but whereas Brexit was unilateral from the UK's side I'm saying that a trade deal could include the option for the EU to end it, and that would be quite different.

Stage 1 invade India
Stage 5 invade Africa
Stage 8 nuke Australia
Stage 10 rule Britaina

Stop it, you are making me feel all nostalgic !

Stage 1 - India go the short way this time, not the long way around
Stage 2 - reintroduce slavery, in all tier 3 areas in UK
Stage 3 - don't know about this, was off work that day!
Stage 4 - resist Chinese efforts to return Hong Kong, until they have restocked it with new umbrellas
Stage 5 - sales drive in Africa (WTO) ask if anybody wants to buy our excess fish, and fishing nets, also will sell trawlers as well if they insist.
Stage 6 - start selling newly acquired Americans (forsaken Republicans) to Africa, must have green card and support the New York Yankees
Stage 7 - repurpose aircraft carrier to carry aircraft.
Stage 8 - offer to fill in all billabongs in Australia in exchange for 3 new opening batsmen
Stage 9 - repatriate all remoaners - if they wish to go, free of charge, ensure they have blue passports before they leave these shores
Stage 10 -Tell Macron he can sail his fishing boats anywhere he wants, but all the fish in our waters are British and will be stamped with the union jack
Stage 11 - Ask the EU states if they want to join the new UK as Sovereign countries, they can catch our fish and holiday on skegness beach and paddle without passports.

Ah... those were the days!!