Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me guess, he’s the kind of person that would go around calling people ‘snowflakes’ and moaning people get offended too easily?
Certainly a Priti Patel defender.

“It’s great news that we can’t negotiate a deal after two years of trying because it gives us the freedom to... negotiate a deal... only now we’ll be haemorrhaging cash throughout the negotiations because of our previous inability to negotiate a deal...”

Is there anyone in the UK thick enough to buy this horseshit?

Russia has nothing to do with this. England's policy of destabilising a unified Europe has been existing since Henry Tudor left the RCC so he can crown any courtesan he wanted. King Henry came to a conclusion that a destabilised Europe would be too busy killing one another to organize a crusade to bring England back to the fold. That's been England and later on the UK's policy for centuries. It's even been joked about on yes minister.
When I go into any ancient CofE church, I always mentally claim it back for the Catholics. :lol:

“It’s great news that we can’t negotiate a deal after two years of trying because it gives us the freedom to... negotiate a deal... only now we’ll be haemorrhaging cash throughout the negotiations because of our previous inability to negotiate a deal...”

Errr..

So, a no-deal Brexit now looks likely.

The UK has given up a whole raft of actual, concrete benefits within the EU - freedom of travel and work, trade benefits, shared policing intelligence etc etc etc - for a single abstract benefit called "sovereignty" which in practice is a ghost.

Congratulations to all the stupid people who voted for Brexit, sold on the basis of lies.

The UK will now start to break up, starting with Scotland, who will re-join the EU within 10-15 years.
This says it all, really. It's heartbreaking. I'm old enough to remember when we weren't in the EU, and as a teenager I was a campaigner during the run-up to the 1975 Referendum. It's been wonderful to be part of Europe and I can't believe we're just walking away with nothing.

It's a bit old but listen to some of these opinions.

It's a bit old but listen to some of these opinions.

Genuinely heartbreaking. I don't get as upset about politics (certainly not British politics) as I used to but Brexit was genuinely a hammerblow to me.

Not even for the economic effects, from which I imagine me and my family will be better shielded than the majority of this country. But about the lost opportunities for the next generation. What it says about the mentality of many living in this country and the realisation that they have such a diametrically opposite worldview. I really feel far more in tune with friends and colleagues from across the continent than I do with many Brits who voted this way. And I still find it difficult to reconcile these differences when talking to them.

I try not to think about it as much now but occasionally I'll see Johnson/IDS/Gove/Patel open their mouths or see a tweet like the above or this video and it feels like a punch in the stomach.

I really think that it's a narrative built around the CANZUK idea, it's not much about the fact that "No deal" sounds terrible but that they are actively targeting a certain demographic and selling the dream of an Anglosphere led by the UK.
Right, hadn't thought of that aspect. They're not talking about a Brazil-type deal, of course. (Saying this on the risk that there's actually some kind of deal in place with Brazil...)

Well, if the UK falls into a deep hole due to conditions imposed by the no-deal situation, it might be a lot easier to make UK stakeholders compromise to EU wishes and negotiate a deal! :wenger:

Genuinely heartbreaking. I don't get as upset about politics (certainly not British politics) as I used to but Brexit was genuinely a hammerblow to me.

Not even for the economic effects, from which I imagine me and my family will be better shielded than the majority of this country. But about the lost opportunities for the next generation. What it says about the mentality of many living in this country and the realisation that they have such a diametrically opposite worldview. I really feel far more in tune with friends and colleagues from across the continent than I do with many Brits who voted this way. And I still find it difficult to reconcile these differences when talking to them.

I try not to think about it as much now but occasionally I'll see Johnson/IDS/Gove/Patel open their mouths or see a tweet like the above or this video and it feels like a punch in the stomach.
Agree completely. The economic impact is a major factor, but the last four years have really shattered any illusions, or even hope, about the country moving to a more progressive footing.
Add in the lying, Covid response, willingness to break international treaties, Windrush, Grenfell etc...and it's depressing.
Yet still we're barraged from birth with notions of 'British decency or 'values', but there are none. We've even sold off all of our key strategic infrastructure for a quick buck. Nothing is valued.

Read something about Royal Navy boats being deployed to protect our fishing waters from Jan 1.

Phwoar, can't wait, it'll be like the good old days. Johnny Kraut getting destroyed while we're starving and have no electric :drool:

From an outside perspective, it's utterly baffling that after 4 years of Brexit shambles the Conservatives are still in power, and seemingly as powerful as ever. It beggars belief.

A bunch of morons keep voting for them who get very offended when you call them morons so prove how not moronic they are by voting for them to spite the people who called them morons.

From an outside perspective, it's utterly baffling that after 4 years of Brexit shambles the Conservatives are still in power, and seemingly as powerful as ever. It beggars belief.
And they've got just under 5 years to sweep the mess under the rug.

Labour have been a shambles too and probably will be in 5 years time.

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that, despite the grandstanding on both sides, there will be a deal

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that, despite the grandstanding on both sides, there will be a deal

Is there a grandstanding on both sides though? From France brexit barely makes the news and I'm under the impression that it's the same everywhere else, the grandstanding is only done by BJ.

Is there a grandstanding on both sides though? From France brexit barely makes the news and I'm under the impression that it's the same everywhere else, the grandstanding is only done by BJ.
Not really sure about the European media, just the quotes attributed to Europeans in the British media. The way I see it is that both sides are engaging in brinksmanship, telling their respective followings that the talks are breaking down and to prepare for no deal but really we’ll end up with a deal of some sorts with both sides claiming ‘victory’ in the negotiations

It's usually at the forefront of news here in Ireland but I guess that's understandable given the severe implications to it here also, that said nobody really talks about it anymore and is a bit fed up of the whole thing at this stage, I think we've just accepted now that's it's going to be a shitstorm we need to deal with.

Not really sure about the European media, just the quotes attributed to Europeans in the British media. The way I see it is that both sides are engaging in brinksmanship, telling their respective followings that the talks are breaking down and to prepare for no deal but really we’ll end up with a deal of some sorts with both sides claiming ‘victory’ in the negotiations

That message doesn't exists around here at the moment, it was done a year ago, plans were made for that outcome and it hasn't been mentioned since.

It's usually at the forefront of news here in Ireland but I guess that's understandable given the severe implications to it here also.

For you there is the borders talks but do you have any sort of grandstanding?

Still expect a deal tbh, but it will be favourable to the EU

For you there is the borders talks but do you have any sort of grandstanding?
No I don't think so, aside from Covid it's arguably the biggest crisis affecting us so it makes sense that it's so highlighted in the news. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your question though..

It was all quite misleading, but isn't Boris correct in what he's saying?

He is only correct if you understood that the oven ready deal was the withdrawal agreement that May agreed on in 2018.

I can't speak for all Dutch press, but what I read isn't very focused on Brexit either. It's covered of course, but far behind the pandemic, and it's not quite number 2 or 3 in attention either. Not at all in Canada either but that's obviously different.

A bunch of morons keep voting for them who get very offended when you call them morons so prove how not moronic they are by voting for them to spite the people who called them morons.
That's just moronic.

When they decided it sounded better than no deal or hard Brexit
You'd think it was one of the 2016 ballot options, the way it's being casually used suddenly.