Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
you can still get 8/11 on there not being a deal

political odds always through up great value like this

case in point all the MAGA cnuts betting on Trump skewed the value heavily in favour of Biden despite the polls

Well yes the trade deal is there but the Australians are claiming the Chinese are breaking the terms of it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55240898

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-...lia-relations-what-has-happened-over-last-six

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-10/chinas-trade-war-with-australia-export-industry/12967190

One little snippet for instance.

These articles are all very contemporaneous, for a trade dispute that only seems to be getting worse at present.

As I said, the UK could never hope to replace China's trade with Australia, especially as we wouldn't necessarily want the same things China does. But it is not inaccurate to say that China has imposed restrictions on certain imports from Australia, as well as new tariffs on others and is threatening to put in more.

Indeed, some Aussies, including their trade minister, have stated they believe China to be in breach of ChAFTA.

I stand corrected. thanks for the information

I assume a trade deal with America is off the table as well?
I'm sure we'll see the return of that proposed deal where American companies can't be sued for gross negligence that occurs in the UK. Fox probably still has a few quid to gain from that one.

I stand corrected. thanks for the information

Except that one is a bilateral trade deal and the other RCEP could become the largest trade agreement in the world. Australia are accused of dumping stuff , most of which are very minor amounts compared to the whole deal and of course China being such a large economy can dictate and interrupt stuff as they wish because they are much more powerful than Australia.

Dealing with China is a whole lot of fun.

Nevertheless the products that are in dispute would not be interesting for the UK and are very small values. What interests China is the Iron Ore which they can play around with as and when their needs are there .

He might actually get his wish. Saturday's lead in the Times.

Navy to board French boats and arrest fishermen

The government is preparing legislation to extend the powers of the navy police so that they can board foreign vessels and arrest fishermen amid concerns about violent clashes in the Channel.
The Royal Navy is also ready to deploy four patrol ships to stop and even impound EU fishing vessels if they illegally enter the Channel after a no-deal Brexit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/navy-to-board-french-boats-and-arrest-fishermen-x35kbkbh6

“It’s great news that we can’t negotiate a deal after two years of trying because it gives us the freedom to... negotiate a deal... only now we’ll be haemorrhaging cash throughout the negotiations because of our previous inability to negotiate a deal...”

Is there anyone in the UK thick enough to buy this horseshit?
4341.jpg

Farage '100% confident' UK to be £9billion better off on Jan 1 with no deal Brexit tariffs
NIGEL FARAGE claims he is "100 percent confident" Brexit is the "the path to a more prosperous Britain" as he claims no deal tariffs would leave the UK up to £9billion better off.

It's great that we're going to protect all our mackerel and herring, which as we know we absolutely LOVE in this country. Just a shame that we'll probably end up with shortages of cod, but fortunately nobody likes that stuff in the UK.
:lol: Yes, there's suddenly this perception that oily fish is the most popular meal in the UK, along with Tikka Masala and McDonalds.

In the article they correctly talk about EU vessels but in the title they single out french boats and also put a picture of Macron. It's such a weird thing to do from a journalistic standpoint.

Sadly, the historical links between the UK and France/Germany probably far outweigh those of other countries, excluding Ireland. You could maybe ham it up with Spain a little too due to Gibraltar etc. Plays to the domestic audience a lot better I think and in terms they can easily understand.

Also sounds much better for the domestic audience to be 'giving it to the French', a very similarly sized country in terms of so many things and with so much shared history....as opposed to navy boats boarding Icelandic or Danish boats.

Sadly, the historical links between the UK and France/Germany probably far outweigh those of other countries, excluding Ireland. You could maybe ham it up with Spain a little too due to Gibraltar etc. Plays to the domestic audience a lot better I think and in terms they can easily understand.

Also sounds much better for the domestic audience to be 'giving it to the French', a very similarly sized country in terms of so many things and with so much shared history....as opposed to navy boats boarding Icelandic or Danish boats.

I get that, the issue is that it's a serious topic and you have journalists creating a false image in order to sell paper because in these type of cases we are not talking about an organized propaganda from the government but a simple marketing tool from a private company, which is weird and sad at the same time.

Thank God the French has absolutely no way and no experience about how to retaliate to their fishermen being arrested.

I get that, the issue is that it's a serious topic and you have journalists creating a false image in order to sell paper because in these type of cases we are not talking about an organized propaganda from the government but a simple marketing tool from a private company, which is weird and sad at the same time.

It is incredibly sad. I'm not even sure if these are active decisions they make or their subconscious kicking in.

Either way, its horrible and embarrassing.

They're Austrian by origin
This is the problem, Europe is too complicated because there's too many little countries knocking about. I think we could agree to simplify it by merging the little brother countries into their true homes. We could probably rationalise it all down to something like:

Germany (including Austria, Switzerland, and Litchenstein)
UK (including Ireland and all the little islands)
France (including Luxembourg, Monaco and half of Belgium)
Holland (including the other half of Belgium)
Spain (including Portugal and Andorra)
Italy (including Greece, San Marino and the Vatican)
Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland)
Eastern Europe (everything left over)

Much more manageable.

This is the problem, Europe is too complicated because there's too many little countries knocking about. I think we could agree to simplify it by merging the little brother countries into their true homes. We could probably rationalise it all down to something like:

Much more manageable.

I love how baltic countries are totally ignored and you put Greece and Italy together when it would make a lot more sense to package the Black Sea countries.:nono:

I love how baltic countries are totally ignored and you put Greece and Italy together when it would make a lot more sense to package the Black Sea countries.:nono:
That was mainly because I get confused by what Gods and culture are Ancient Greek and what is Roman, so it might help solve that problem.

To be honest, I also feel Holland is not really deserving to be a separate country. But then, what do you merge it with? Germany, Scandinavia or France?

To be honest, I also feel Holland is not really deserving to be a separate country. But then, what do you merge it with? Germany, Scandinavia or France?
Closer to Germany but I think its put under Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg).

Scandinavia is only Sweden, Denmark and Norway. The wider classification would be Nordic countries which include the Scandinavian countries mentioned before and Iceland, The Faroes, Greenland and Finland.

feck France.

Closer to Germany but I think its put under Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg).

Scandinavia is only Sweden, Denmark and Norway. The wider classification would be Nordic countries which include the Scandinavian countries mentioned before and Iceland, The Faroes, Greenland and Finland.

feck France.

Yup, that would be the logical thing to do.

Much more manageable.
This could easily be a BNP(or whatever they are now called) platform in the next election.

feck France.
Good suggestions, but I think we need to be keep the number of countries down as much as possible.

See, this is the kind of sensible, pragmatic negotiation that needs to happen. I don't get why the Brexit negotiations are proving so difficult.

Much more manageable.

Macron is one of the two princes of Andorra - the other is a bishop