Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The biggest french export to the UK is cars, the second one packaged medicaments. Wine is third and is a bit of an odd one when you realize that the 15-20 top products are of the industrial variety.

Furthermore wine is only 3.6% of French exports to the UK and cheese is only 0.91%. Almost as if Davis hasn't done his homework.

Well, I didn't like to say so:

interesting - the passing into law phrase as that would require the house of lords to pass it as well in the same format as the commons
in short they would basically let them pass the bill in any old format today as it wouldn't go to the lords and be approved by Wednesday
That seems to allow then to pass the bill today - let boris claim it was the passing of the bill that forced (probably non existent) concessions from the EU... agree a deal on tuesday and he can act like billy big balls at PMQ's saying he got the best deal ever

Last edited:
We casually destroyed our own manufacturing and mining industries, which employed so many hundreds of thousands of people and supported whole villages and towns. Now we're chest-beating over the sea fishing industry, which is of course important to those who are in it - but that's only about 12,000 people actually working on registered fishing vessels (according to the official Gov site).

Of course, there are other people who work in the fishing industry apart from the fishermen, but even so, this isn't like mining or ship-building. And yet somehow it's become the symbol of British pride.

It's the symbol of British pride because for decades a part of british politicians lied to people and sold the idea that foreign fleets were stealing british fish and jobs when those foreign fleets legally bought quotas and that was possible because the british parliament made quotas tradable. Now the interesting point that people should have been explained is that the reason britsh quota holders sold those quotas is because they couldn't exploit them, only a few countries have fleets that are able to exploit pelagic fishes and some of them are on the continent mainly in Netherland, Norway, Germany, Spain and France, if I'm not mistaken.

My point being that we are not even talking about the "poor" coastal fishermen.

It's the symbol of British pride because for decades a part of british politicians lied to people and sold the idea that foreign fleets were stealing british fish and jobs when those foreign fleets legally bought quotas and that was possible because the british parliament made quotas tradable. Now the interesting point that people should have been explained is that the reason britsh quota holders sold those quotas is because they couldn't exploit them, only a few countries have fleets that are able to exploit pelagic fishes and some of them are on the continent mainly in Netherland, Norway, Germany, Spain and France, if I'm not mistaken.

My point being that we are not even talking about the "poor" coastal fishermen.
I didn't know about selling the quotas. That makes it even worse!

possibly but why would they engage in a debate beyond sOveReIGnTy if they are being dismissed as a bunch of plebs?

im a firm remainiac and im already onboard the rejoin train ... but calling people plebs probably isnt going to be successful in shaping our futire re;ationship with Europe because even if we leave without a deal - probably within days we start the talks again about a new deal with a few different faces coming up against the same old issues

Well that's a bit of a chicken and egg argument really isn't it? Have they not put forward any arguments because they're dismissed as plebs or called plebs because they can't put forward any decent argument?

It's not my experience in life that a group shy away from detailed argument because they're insulted. Entrenched perhaps but they'll fight their corner. Only those who have no argument will use it as an excuse.

The mainstreaming and appeasement of this type of idiocy is exactly what has led us into this mess in the first place. Here's an expert with 20 years in EU trade law but oh look here is someone who runs some pubs with very strong opinions about bent bananas, both must be treated equally.

Given we get told not all Brexiteers are like that then I'm at a loss as to what noun can be used for these people but I'm open to suggestion.

The biggest french export to the UK is cars, the second one packaged medicaments. Wine is third and is a bit of an odd one when you realize that the 15-20 top products are of the industrial variety.
You can visualise yourself enjoying a bottle of Aussie wine, but industrial ball bearings or some acid are less relatable.

You can visualise yourself enjoying a bottle of Aussie wine, but industrial ball bearings or some acid are less relatable.

That's true but I suspect that he didn't even know what France was actually exporting otherwise he would have simply used Japan or the US as examples.

That's true but I suspect that he didn't even know what France was actually exporting otherwise he would have simply used Japan or the US as examples.
He won't have a clue. He's my mum's MP and a paragon of jingoistic, bumbling ineptitude.

well, I might be wrong of course.. but nothing the Tories are doing looks like deal-making or diplomacy to me

I am, of course, extremely biased against the Tories who I despise with every fibre of my being.. so maybe I'm the idiot
No, no. You are absolutely rational and correct.

Weird thing is that if there is an agreement, people in the UK starting to believe everything will be OK. Have I got news for you.

Markets don't seem optimistic as pound plunged well under €1.10 already.
That's not a plunge. That's a dip of the GBP toe in the no deal water, sadly.

Press don't want to be blamed for the inevitable clusterfeck.
The Times led its site most of yesterday with a story about ministers backing Johnson over no deal if necessary. The way it was written suggested tacit support from the paper.

I beg to differ on that. For example Malta had faced huge problems in giving state aid to Air Malta. As an island state, Air Malta is the only government influenced airline that Malta have. If it goes tits up then we would be completely reliant on the likes of Ryan Air and Easy jet

Beg to differ all you want but since CAP directly subsidizes agri-business and the EU has historically spent more on CAP than anything else it does its pretty much indisputable.

I voted deal as there has to be one or the UK is fecked. But with this shower of dicks in charge...

Why stop there? Ask them if they want to join the EMPIRE again, the glorious British EMPIRE. I have it on good authority that the Australians and New zealanders are positively aching to join back up like the good old days.

I lived in NZ for years. Old people have a fondness for the UK if they have a connection.

Most under the age of 40 have as much of an affinity for France, Italy, Germany though.

They’ve also elected a Labour government that’s being dragged left by a very strong Green Party. They will not look to secure expanded special trade deals that see their goods sent here and celebrate it.

The idea that the UK will get a better deal with NZ than the EU, without giving their citizens freedom of movement, is insane. Not happening.

Also - Kiwi wine that we buy here is the stuff they cook with. My girlfriend laughs when she sees Oyster Bay on restaurant menus here. It’s nice enough. But it’s nothing like premium over there.

Although.... their entire Navy is 4 boats. With only one combat boat. Maybe they’d agree to a resurgence of Empire if they could rule the waves with us.

He will cave and spin.

He'd be spinning like a top. Having surrounded himself with ardent Brexiteers with them regularly spouting nonsense to the media, he's cornered himself. Brexit was an accidental bluff that failed - ie it actually happened when it should have just failed and the same will probably happen again with a no deal by calling the EU's bluff and failing again.

The pound will just get fed up with Brexit and throw itself off the parapet in the not too distant future. Presently just clinging on for dear life in the forlorn hope that it will all be alright.
It is not looking good.

I wonder if the vote was ran again, with the realities of Brexit explained, what the outcome would be.

It is not looking good.

I wonder if the vote was ran again, with the realities of Brexit explained, what the outcome would be.

I think if the vote was run again in six months or a year's time there would almost certainly be a different result. To many it is still just words, until they experience it they'll still not believe it while the media is still force feeding them with nonsense.

It is not looking good.

You know it would be a win for leave again- their position has become entrenched.