Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
fair play its three weeks before the deadline and the Tories still have people believing a deal might happen

You would have thought that by now there would be a list of all the benefits of Brexit.
1. Umm....wait a minute....can't think of it offhand, just give me a few years to think about it...ummm... no, sorry...

Scary thing for the UK, if Boris does go, who the hell replaces him, chances are they will probably be even worse, amazingly.

You would have thought that by now there would be a list of all the benefits of Brexit.
1. Umm....wait a minute....can't think of it offhand, just give me a few years to think about it...ummm... no, sorry...

Scary thing for the UK, if Boris does go, who the hell replaces him, chances are they will probably be even worse, amazingly.
Sunak or Gove.

Sunak would be favourite... though I have a feeling gove will find a way to knife him in the back and slime his way into no10 (probably with the help of Cummings)

Sunak would be favourite... though I have a feeling gove will find a way to knife him in the back and slime his way into no10 (probably with the help of Cummings)
I would say Sunak is favourite, he has had more favourable media coverage than Gove. Though Gove is considered a Murdoch favourite.

I would say Sunak is favourite, he has had more favourable media coverage than Gove. Though Gove is considered a Murdoch favourite.
I think gove sunak possibly raab hunt and the saj would have another go... perhaps priti patel to provide some gender balance and make everybody else look slightly more reasonable by comparison

Gove and sunak to make the final two and with enough dog whistle racism and some Cummings slogans gove to win

He would actually make boris look like a straight talking component pm by comparison ...

Can't stand the man but I have a horrid feeling he's going to be the next pm

PRC_101193471.jpg

I don't think Boris is going to go so easily whatever happens with the deal or no deal

Then why hasn't the UK accept the level playing field clause?
It might be they will and never had a problem with it but can use it as a concession later and expect reciprocity on something they do have a problem with.

Or it might be the EU is doing the loaded naming trick where what they class as a level playing field isn't.

All we know for certain is that historically EU has never really had a problem with state aid and protectionism. The majority of the money it has spent while the UK was in the EU has been on state subsidies.

fair play its three weeks before the deadline and the Tories still have people believing a deal might happen

a lot of what’s going on looks like bluster, and rhetoric to satisfy each side to show that they are negotiating hard.Most negotiations go to the wire.

we will have to see if I fall into your activity of “idiots who think a deal can be done”*

*my interpretation of your post.

a lot of what’s going on looks like bluster, and rhetoric to satisfy each side to show that they are negotiating hard.Most negotiations go to the wire.

we will have to see if I fall into your activity of “idiots who think a deal can be done”*

*my interpretation of your post.

well, I might be wrong of course.. but nothing the Tories are doing looks like deal-making or diplomacy to me

I am, of course, extremely biased against the Tories who I despise with every fibre of my being.. so maybe I'm the idiot

well, I might be wrong of course.. but nothing the Tories are doing looks like deal-making or diplomacy to me

I am, of course, extremely biased against the Tories who I despise with every fibre of my being.. so maybe I'm the idiot

after 4.5 years (which shocked me when I heard that today!), we are weeks away from finding out.

let’s have an idiot revealing party on Dec 31st. It’s not as if we are going out!

after 4.5 years (which shocked me when I heard that today!), we are weeks away from finding out.

let’s have an idiot revealing party on Dec 31st. It’s not as if we are going out!

I wouldn't think you're an idiot for believing it, most people I know from the UK seem to think its still possible. - including my family.

From the outside looking in (I haven't lived in the UK for years) there are three weeks to go and it just ain't happening.

whatever happens we're a far cry from "the easiest deal in history" all the usual suspects were crowing about four years ago

I wouldn't think you're an idiot for believing it, most people I know from the UK seem to think its still possible. - including my family.

From the outside looking in (I haven't lived in the UK for years) there are three weeks to go and it just ain't happening.

whatever happens we're a far cry from "the easiest deal in history" all the usual suspects were crowing about four years ago

I honestly don’t know what will happen. But what I do know, is that we get told a load of BS from both sides during the negotiations, which means we can’t actually determine what’s going on, until they either announce a deal or a no deal.

in my simple mind, no matter what’s gone on beforehand, both parties are better off compromising and getting a deal - so that’s what should happen... but I like simple.

The DM and Sun were both talking up no deal to their readers with nationalistic bollocks this weekend.
But given news outlets are leading on wildly contradictory stories on a fisheries agreement, it does feel like no-one really has a clue.

It isn't just a simple matter of agreeing one point or two. It's agreeing on a whole brexit plan. And from that plan, there are tonnes of small details that need to be clarified. And from those details, there are huge implications on government, infrastructure, policy, etc etc etc.

That takes time. I imagine, at best, they agree on the "main points" to close a deal, both sides declare a victory and then both sides agree to remain status quo for another month or three, to give them time to hammer through the minute details that will need to be clarified and then implemented on both sides of the border.

Unless, both sides already roughly knew what the result would be beforehand and have been preparing for it while promoting all the bluster in their press conferences to look like they are trying hard.

The spin is going to be unbearable this week. I still think we'll have some kind of agreement this week but we're such a farce that even if it was agreed we'd brief it wasn't just so we can claim a hard fought last minute concession.

The spin is going to be unbearable this week. I still think we'll have some kind of agreement this week but we're such a farce that even if it was agreed we'd brief it wasn't just so we can claim a hard fought last minute concession.

Just blame the French. They've been doing that for centuries.

The fish thing is so fecking stupid. It's an issue no one cares about but because Leave made it a big deal they'll no longer act reasonably on the matter.

The fishermen that bought quotas from british fishermen and are getting screwed care very much about it. The rest of the population may not care about them though.

The fishermen that bought quotas from british fishermen and are getting screwed care very much about it. The rest of the population may not care about them though.

Well yeah but mainly meant from the British side. For us it's a completely fabricated issue used as simplistic symbolism for our sovereignty because the plebs can't understand the rest.

On any issue now the default brexiteer argument is "they still don't get it's about our sOveReIGnTy".

My feeling as well.
It has and will continue to be all about posturing and spin.
Whatever the final outcome, our post Brexit problems will start to untangle. And the reality will soon hit home. The utopia of leaving the EU and taking back control or whatever that is supposed to mean will soon show itself as a pack of lies. But by then, it will be too late.

It might be they will and never had a problem with it but can use it as a concession later and expect reciprocity on something they do have a problem with.

Or it might be the EU is doing the loaded naming trick where what they class as a level playing field isn't.

All we know for certain is that historically EU has never really had a problem with state aid and protectionism. The majority of the money it has spent while the UK was in the EU has been on state subsidies.

I beg to differ on that. For example Malta had faced huge problems in giving state aid to Air Malta. As an island state, Air Malta is the only government influenced airline that Malta have. If it goes tits up then we would be completely reliant on the likes of Ryan Air and Easy jet

Well yeah but mainly meant from the British side. For us it's a completely fabricated issue used as simplistic symbolism for our sovereignty because the plebs can't understand the rest.

On any issue now the default brexiteer argument is "they still don't get it's about our sOveReIGnTy".

possibly but why would they engage in a debate beyond sOveReIGnTy if they are being dismissed as a bunch of plebs?

im a firm remainiac and im already onboard the rejoin train ... but calling people plebs probably isnt going to be successful in shaping our futire re;ationship with Europe because even if we leave without a deal - probably within days we start the talks again about a new deal with a few different faces coming up against the same old issues

Boris and Ursula speaking at 4pm UK time, day of reckoning.
isnt the internal market bill due back to parliament tonight as well?

I can imagine Boris wanting to extend talks by 24 hours... push through the bill tonight then basically agree whatever is on the table already tomorrow so he can spin it that he forced last minute concessions from the EU (then dropping all the illegal stuff in the bill as it will be made redundant by a deal)

Not sure I can see the EU going for that but as others have said its about spin and posturing now

isnt the internal market bill due back to parliament tonight as well?

I can imagine Boris wanting to extend talks by 24 hours... push through the bill tonight then basically agree whatever is on the table already tomorrow so he can spin it that he forced last minute concessions from the EU (then dropping all the illegal stuff in the bill as it will be made redundant by a deal)

Not sure I can see the EU going for that but as others have said its about spin and posturing now

The other twist to that story is that Gove is in Brussels today to arrange with his EU counterpart about the inception of the Northern Ireland Protcol by 31st.

If the Uk were insane enough to implement the internal market bill they'd be shooting themselves in the foot yet again damaging not only their relations with the EU but a knock-on effect with the rest of the world.

A temporary contraflow is to be set up on the A55 on Anglesey in north Wales to hold lorries that are turned away from the port of Holyhead from 1 January, the Welsh government has said.

HGVs turned away from the port will be stacked while they sort their paperwork or redirected to other sites if there is space.

A business park on the island is being prepared as a stacking site and should be ready by mid January and the government is also negotiating to use a truck stop.

The Welsh transport and North Wales minister Ken Skates said:

Introducing a contraflow is not something we want to do but it has become the necessary thing to do. The uncertainty we face means we have to take every step to protect the port and town of Holyhead from disruption.
This is a situation we have never faced before and while we have reasonable worst case forecasts that between 40 and 70% of hauliers could be turned away initially, the actual situation could be different.

The other twist to that story is that Gove is in Brussels today to arrange with his EU counterpart about the inception of the Northern Ireland Protcol by 31st.

If the Uk were insane enough to implement the internal market bill they'd be shooting themselves in the foot yet again damaging not only their relations with the EU but a knock-on effect with the rest of the world.
usqRzpguXvsgntL-800x450-noPad.jpg

a703927d27a1242e1e6d33b8b1ba0378_XL.jpg

GettyImages-1082543958-640x360.jpg

If?

Exhibit A is that useless bustard David Davis in the Sun today claiming "Britain has tried to behave in a civilised manner so as to avoid an acrimonious break-up.
"That is not true of the European Union — on the contrary it has behaved unreasonably from the beginning."

Other gems include: "We should be very rapidly seeking deals with Australia, New Zealand — all of our old friends and ask them: “Can you supply the things that France supplies?”
We’ll suddenly find cheaper and better wine, cheeses and other products.
And if we go global, we can repeat that for every country in Europe.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13402861/david-davis-nothing-fear-no-deal-brexit/

Other gems include: "We should be very rapidly seeking deals with Australia, New Zealand — all of our old friends and ask them: “Can you supply the things that France supplies?”

Why stop there? Ask them if they want to join the EMPIRE again, the glorious British EMPIRE. I have it on good authority that the Australians and New zealanders are positively aching to join back up like the good old days.

Exhibit A is that useless bustard David Davis in the Sun today claiming "Britain has tried to behave in a civilised manner so as to avoid an acrimonious break-up.
"That is not true of the European Union — on the contrary it has behaved unreasonably from the beginning."

And if we go global, we can repeat that for every country in Europe.

The biggest french export to the UK is cars, the second one packaged medicaments. Wine is third and is a bit of an odd one when you realize that the 15-20 top products are of the industrial variety.

We casually destroyed our own manufacturing and mining industries, which employed so many hundreds of thousands of people and supported whole villages and towns. Now we're chest-beating over the sea fishing industry, which is of course important to those who are in it - but that's only about 12,000 people actually working on registered fishing vessels (according to the official Gov site).

Of course, there are other people who work in the fishing industry apart from the fishermen, but even so, this isn't like mining or ship-building. And yet somehow it's become the symbol of British pride.