Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes he's said it several times over a period of time. The last 4 and a half years have been a swamp of thousands of lies. Lots have been more ridiculous than this. It's the only way Brexit could have happened. They knew people wouldn't be bothered to check so they soon realised that they could say anything, a large portion of the electorate are so gullible they'd believe anything if it fits their agenda. Now reality is only just over six weeks away.
He's repeated the claim in multiple interviews and it's being written up or broadcast unchallenged by numerous media outlets.
The numbers would be crazy. Every family in the UK must have a BMW, an Audi and a Peugot on their drives and eat their own bodyweight in Reblochon and Gouda eight times over a year for it to be even half true.
Urgh, Insane. I wonder if they believe it themselves. In the US, Trump and some of his cronies seem stupid enough to actually believe their own nonsense, but my impression is that it's a bit more insidious with the Brexit Tories in the UK.

Urgh, Insane. I wonder if they believe it themselves. In the US, Trump and some of his cronies seem stupid enough to actually believe their own nonsense, but my impression is that it's a bit more insidious with the Brexit Tories in the UK.

With Trump, at least they could get rid of him after 4 years. Even with the Tories there have been opportunities to get rid of them but the opposition have been totally pathetic over the last five years, the worst in my lifetime (which is a long time). But now even if they got rid of the Tories, Brexit is with them for decades to come. As you say, completely insane.

I don’t see how they get past this impasse - the Lords won’t approve it with the bill in and the Commons won’t remove it.

There is a 1919 (I think) law which allows the Government to pass through the legislation without the views of the Lords. Last used by Labour to get fox hunting through I believe. Wouldn't put it past this Government to use that despite it being a controversial issue.

There is a 1919 (I think) law which allows the Government to pass through the legislation without the views of the Lords. Last used by Labour to get fox hunting through I believe. Wouldn't put it past this Government to use that despite it being a controversial issue.
It will come back with amendments
The government will remove them and then basically take an approach along the lines of the internal market bill was a manifesto commitment and if the unelected house of lords believes its role is to veto the manifesto commitments of a government elected on a huge majority less than a year ago then it will need to be examined if the house of lords is fit for purpose... either make 500 brexiteer mates of boris lords or use the parliament act to force it through (though I think they might have to prorouge parliament again to do that and it couldnt be done bu 1st jan... but then any problems are because remoaner elites wouldnt respect the democratic will of the people (again))

Well, barring some serious work from the mods, it's certainly not going to get any shorter.
It could've probably done with a few threadmarks along the way tbh. I'm sure there will be a few offshoots from this main thread over time as the wheels come off.

He's doing the rounds spouting this nonsense today too, just being given a platform to misinform, unchallenged as you said.

EU 'scared' of post-Brexit success as desperate bloc fears 'UK economy out-competing them'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...xit-trade-deal-latest-talks-andrew-bridgen-VN
You shouldn't be surprised. As long as people are allowed to lie with no consequences, the lying industrial complex will continue to prosper. And used as a weapon to manipulate people to whatever ends the sponsors deem as their target. Brexit did not happen out of random chance.

Well, I've just read that Italy are finalising the details of the new long-stay visas that Brits will need, if they decide to move here after January 1st. Fortunately for those of us who are already legally resident, we've been issued with a new document which states that we have the right to stay indefinitely under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement. British people coming from Jan 1st will be treated as third party nationals.

I hope anyone who was planning to move to a European country has managed to get everything in place. There's not long left!

Well, I've just read that Italy are finalising the details of the new long-stay visas that Brits will need, if they decide to move here after January 1st. Fortunately for those of us who are already legally resident, we've been issued with a new document which states that we have the right to stay indefinitely under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement. British people coming from Jan 1st will be treated as third party nationals.

I hope anyone who was planning to move to a European country has managed to get everything in place. There's not long left!
Glad to hear it hasn’t effected your status!

It's so sad how many doors are being shut because of Brexit. Is No Deal happening? Seems extremely late in the day to get a deal now.

You shouldn't be surprised. As long as people are allowed to lie with no consequences, the lying industrial complex will continue to prosper. And used as a weapon to manipulate people to whatever ends the sponsors deem as their target. Brexit did not happen out of random chance.

Well said. Not only is their lying on and industrial scale, they are using it to manipulate those gullible enough to be taken in.

It's so sad how many doors are being shut because of Brexit. Is No Deal happening? Seems extremely late in the day to get a deal now.
It's very sad, you're right. Many Brits won't miss it because they've never had the desire to work, study or retire in another country, but there's a significant number who'll have to change their life plans or be prepared to see them become much more complicated. Freedom of movement is just one aspect of it all, of course. People in Britain who've been unaffected so far will see what it means, in all sorts of little ways.

As for the deal, as @FireballXL5 says above they seem to be limping towards some kind of deal. Whatever it is, it has to be better than nothing.

That text anyway doesn't hold back: 'Since the Brexit referendum four years ago, auto producers on the island have been warning for a 'No Deal'. PM Boris Johnson, however, still seems to believe that he can dictate the conditions to the EU. This denial of reality now hits home.' (and then starts the bit about Nissan)

Possible two-way ban on meat products between UK and Ireland 'concerning', says Agriculture Minister

AGRICULTURE MINISTER CHARLIE McConalogue has said his department is working closely with European Commission representatives to avoid the possibility of a ban on certain meat products between Ireland and the UK.

McConalogue comments come following reports that the UK and the EU are engaging in last-minute talks to prevent a ‘two-way ban’ on certain meat products between the UK and the island of Ireland.

RTÉ reports that the UK intends to replicate the EU’s food safety regime which restricts meat products from outside the union. The UK’s reciprocal ban would prohibit such products from entering Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

Speaking to Morning Ireland McConalogue said the issue is concerning but very much reflective of Brexit.

“Obviously it is something which is concerning, it’s a reflection of the many issues which Brexit is causing,” he said.

“Also, the fact that we haven’t had an agreed trade deal yet and discussions are still ongoing despite the intention and the hope that this would have been resolved previously. This emphasises the importance of a deal being finalised promptly.

“Obviously there’s going to be significant work then required in the weeks ahead as well to ensure that the trade is as as as smooth, and as efficient as possible on the first of January.”

Martin said that a deal is “in the best interest of the United Kingdom, of Ireland and of the European Union”.

Trade arrangements for Northern Ireland, being researched and discussed by a separate committee, remain unclear ahead of 31 December when the UK will leave the Brexit transitionary period.

Addressing concerns that Northern Ireland consumers will be left with less choice on shelves and more expensive goods, the Taoiseach said:

“There are issues that people have genuinely raised on the UK side and within Northern Ireland. The First Minister and Deputy First Minister wrote jointly to us in relation to that and however it goes, the discussions on the protocol have gone well and so I would be confident we can resolve those as well.”

At 11 pm on 31 December, Brexit in practice will kick in and the UK will be leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market, which will have a huge impact on people and business owners in Ireland who send goods to, from or through the UK.

This will mean that the EU – and by extension, Ireland – will treat Great Britain as a ‘third country’ for the purposes of trade.

Regardless of whether there is a trade deal done by then, McConalogue said documentation will have to be in place for all exports going to Britain, varying across a range of different products.

Speaking yesterday, Taoiseach Micheal Martin said there have been “intensive” engagement for weeks and there is now “texts on all areas”. He added that it remained to be seen whether the text on the outstanding areas could be agreed.

Over 90% of topics have been agreed upon and drafted but three main obstacles have remained as a block to securing a final deal before the deadline: the level playing field, governance, and fisheries.

https://www.thejournal.ie/uk-ireland-meat-ban-5276890-Nov2020/

Has the phrase turkeys voting for Christmas ever been more apt?
The average Brit who voted leave will see absolutely no positive changes from Jan 1st. Some will even lose their jobs. Some groceries will cost more and it'll be more difficult to have a fortnight's holiday in Spain or France in the summer. Many of the European professionals who've been propping up British public services (particularly healthcare) will have left for good.

What are the positive benefits for Mr & Mrs Average? I can't see any at all.

Everything about Brexit is really bad for the UK. I'm still waiting for a Brexiteer to tell me anything positive about it.

Maybe someone from Sunderland could chime in.

Not exactly great for our farmers here in Ireland but isn't this really bad for the UK? As far as I'm aware the UK is not food sufficient and can't support its 66m population without importing.
Depends as a lot of people still take world war 2 rationing as an example thinking but as a country we'd dropped to less than 30% between the 2 world war, we're currently at 76% foods grown in the country and 61% overall. The government made a huge push post world war2 to make sure if a suspected third world war were to happen the UK would be more food secure. So the UK can support its 66m population for its daily calorie intake ( especially in cereals which is currently at 100%). So we can support ourselves but the variety would suddenly drop if we had no imports, which we will have. Food isn't even in our top 10 imports.

Last edited:
Depends as a lot of people still take world war 2 rationing as an example thinking but as a country we'd dropped to less than 30% between the 2 world war, we're currently at 76% foods grown in the country and 61% overall. The government made a huge push post world war2 to make sure if a suspected third world war were to happen the UK would be more food secure. So the UK can support its 66m population for its daily calorie intake ( especially in cereals which is currently at 100%). So we can support ourselves but the variety would suddenly drop if we had no imports, which we will have. Food isn't even in our top 10 imports.
The sunlit uplands of rationing and living on gruel.