Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well that's officially put the nail in Labour's coffin for me. Might finally vote for the Tartan Tories. At least my dad will be proud of me.

Forgot about the cabinet. Why no ERG?

I'm not sure, but I think they're pretty set against anything other than a hard no-deal Brexit.

Last Wednesday, when Oliver Letwin suggested they have a second round of indicative votes, you could hear some of them saying it was just a waste of time. I think they've just said bollocks to the whole thing and will vote against anything hoping we crash out.

Well that's officially put the nail in Labour's coffin for me. Might finally vote for the Tartan Tories. At least my dad will be proud of me.
Come on now. They have been substantially more left leaning under Nicola than the previous Labour government, nevermind the hard right Tories of present.

Maybe on Wednesday they could try Motion Negative G: Parliamentary Supremacy 2.0 - If no proposal backed by the 11th hour Parliament should vote on the proposal to revoke. If it fails to pass, we have a no deal Brexit. Ultimately this seems to be the choice before them anyway. Not taking this fallback is just a futile effort at avoiding responsibility.

Come on now. They have been substantially more left leaning under Nicola than the previous Labour government, nevermind the hard right Tories of present.
I guess I forget that nobody can read my mind, but the Tartan Tories thing is something that I've never believed in myself, I just mentioned it because Gordon Brown once called my dad one.

If any of the motions won tonight could May have just ignored it?

It would bring some comfort if this missed opportunity would have been in vain.

Yes, she would have ignored it unless something won by a landslide.

I guess I forget that nobody can read my mind, but the Tartan Tories thing is something that I've never believed in myself, I just mentioned it because Gordon Brown once called my dad one.
Fair enough :lol:

She could do, yes.

But with no majority for her deal, she might have been under pressure to tack left and incorporate one or more of the proposals into her own deal. If common market 2.0 had commanded a majority in the House, it might also have aided in persuading the EU to grant us a lengthy extension next week, to allow us time to negotiate along those lines.

With the Commons unable to coalesce and form a stable majority in favour of any one proposal, the EU will surely be reluctant to grant us more time (especially since that would mean us submitting candidates to EU elections).

No deal edges closer.

I never truly thought no deal could happen. I genuinely didn’t think that many of the Tory party were economically suicidal. Now? Who the feck knows..

How could emigration alone solve terrible financial policies, corruption, populism and an ageing population? It can only alleviate some of the effects of the aforementioned problems. Which it does. Ergo it has a positive effect for those countries.

At the same time, low-unemployment countries of North Europe have benefited considerably from the European immigration. That is mostly people who come, work and return home to retire. Therefore spending their productive years in countries that actually need them. See the reports of the Migration Observatory for the proven tangible benefits of EU worker migration to the UK.

So, what is wrong about it and why do you hate it?
Most people I've asked would like to return home, but the money keeps them away. Fair and equal europe? I dont think so.

Most people I've asked would like to return home, but the money keeps them away. Fair and equal europe? I dont think so.

How does this relate to anything? Can you make a cohesive argument that stands to reason?

Was Europe fairer and more equal before the EU and freedom of movement? Are you living in a parallel universe to the rest of us?

Quite a blunt illustration that it's not parliament that doesn't know what it wants it's the Tories.

They're unable to get their own party to support their deal and yet won't vote for any other deal either. Incompetent and stubborn

RAWK said:
According to Lucy Fisher and the Telegraph, the Tories don't have enough cash for an election.

Was on the back of what the Spectator journalist was saying as well: the corporate donations have dried up thanks to...Brexit.

No doubt they'd find some loopholes to exploit...

Only thing left to try would be to combine the customs union and confirmatory ref motions, then dare Lisa Nandy to vote against it and still say she's the only adult in the room.

The Guardian's unsubtle photograph of the Prime Minister:

TheresaMay-768x553.jpg

She's been wearing that blue zip-up coat for weeks, by the way, I've been monitoring the pics day by day. For a woman who's purportedly a fashionista, it's a strange thing to do.

oates says it's her comfort blanket.

Only thing left to try would be to combine the customs union and confirmatory ref motions, then dare Lisa Nandy to vote against it and still say she's the only adult in the room.

Think Vince cable suggested that as well

I think by the 9th in practical terms there Needs to be a decision on any extension so it can be requested at the EU summit on the 10th

So basically they have a week to coble something together.

I've been saying for months may will eventually roll the dice on a general election if she can't get her deal through... Suspect we might see her try mv4 and when that fails call for a ge.
She only needs a hundred or so conservatives to back it as I presume pretty much all the opposition will
Sadly I suspect it ends with a hung parliament or a majority so small it's unworkable

FPTP has biased thinking in this country. Why the focus on a majority in indicative votes? Surely, there is an indication of support for the three votes that were narrowly defeated?

Missed all the fun - oh I see they all voted against everything again - would never have guessed that.

And everyone's trying to blame everyone else.

Nothing ever changes. Except it will and no deal looms larger.

I still kept some naive hope they'd actually do something in the interests of the country over their own careers. I was wrong.

The whole bloody lot of them should be out on the dole queue.

"My granny was a Spitfire pilot on Concorde who shot down the Red Baron - I won't let any German bully me!"

To be honest the best Brexit commentry has come from Germany so far, but not Merkel.

Wonder what the justification is, do they think May is just gonna say feck it and Revoke article 50?
I guess they take the May approach and hope that as the deadline gets nearer MPs panic and call a Peoples vote?

My MP is a Lab remainer and he abstained. Annoying.

Looks almost inevitable at this point.

It’s the Lib Dem’s that get me. Can’t they see that a soft Brexit is better than crashing out?

I can’t see the Government giving them another chance at this before the 11th so a chance at a soft Brexit is looking off the table.

It’s totally mindless. It’s like the kid that can’t win playing football in the park so picks up their ball and goes home.

FPTP has biased thinking in this country. Why the focus on a majority in indicative votes? Surely, there is an indication of support for the three votes that were narrowly defeated?

You're right, people are wrongly looking at the 50% threshold as a meaningful landmark here, but I think it has the opposite meaning. Ekeing out a 51% vote in favour of any option wouldnt settle the matter. The indicative vote would only matter if there was a clear majority in favour. Its hard to say what the number would be, but if, say, 75% of MPs agreed with a given path, then that would show a clear cross party consensus around a single option. At that point it would be clear that it was the Government that was the odd one out. As it is, whether its 49% or 51%, it just boils down to the opposition parties + a handful of rebels opposing the party of Government. Which in truth we already knew. This whole thing has just been Parliament procrastinating.