Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I also like how a second referendum is now being labelled a ‘confirmatory ballot.’

It's a confirmatory ballot in that it wouldn't be a simply in/out referendum, but asking the public to 'confirm' whatever deal parliament decides on.

Remain might not even be an option in such a ballot. Could be something like: Customs Union vs No Deal.

The Tory Brexiters who couldn’t be arsed to turn up for the debate, now all sharing their views on Twitter instead. Absolute twats the lot of them.

And that's what makes him an idiot, in your eyes?

I don't think Corbyn is an idiot, I think he's trying to play political games that are beyond his abilities. He should have stuck to trying to bring about a new way of doing things in the political spectrum; now he's just a poor man's Ed Miliband.

The Tory Brexiters who couldn’t be arsed to turn up for the debate, now all sharing their views on Twitter instead. Absolute twats the lot of them.
I was just saying the same. They have no interest in working together with anyone. The speeches earlier were worth listening to and I thought there was a co-operative and conciliatory feel to it all. Meanwhile, the ERG were presumably having some fancy meal somewhere and will just appear to vote in their own self-interest, as usual.

It's a confirmatory ballot in that it wouldn't be a simply in/out referendum, but asking the public to 'confirm' whatever deal parliament decides on.

Remain might not even be an option in such a ballot. Could be something like: Customs Union vs No Deal.

It's a referendum nonetheless.

But the word/phrase has become so exhausted, an alternative has been found to help sell it.

Managed no deal is the British clean coal. Absolute nonsense.
No, it's actually quite simple. They're going to gently, carefully, precisely, with cautious planning, great care to the details, expertly, nurturingly feck us all up the arse with a rusty pipe.

I was just saying the same. They have no interest in working together with anyone. The speeches earlier were worth listening to and I thought there was a co-operative and conciliatory feel to it all. Meanwhile, the ERG were presumably having some fancy meal somewhere and will just appear to vote in their own self-interest, as usual.

Looks like you were quite right..

I don't think Corbyn is an idiot, I think he's trying to play political games that are beyond his abilities. He should have stuck to trying to bring about a new way of doing things in the political spectrum; now he's just a poor man's Ed Miliband.

Ouch :lol:

I don't think he's done too badly, strategically, regarding brexit. Though I thought around Nov/Dec time he could have changed to a remain position and really heaped the pressure on. But that would still have been very damaging for labour.
NOT playing any political games would have been naive. In general his discourse has been balanced and far more courteous than those who constantly attack him as though he's an actual danger to life.

I don't think Corbyn's necessarily an idiot: he's a solid campaigner for example who knows how to connect with voters without seeming like an utter weirdo, and that's often shown itself when he can be arsed, but at the same time I don't think he's a particularly brilliant strategist or a political mastermind. And I think a lot of his weaknesses inevitably show through when he's dealing with an issue that's undoubtedly important to the country, but which doesn't grab his own personal interest. Brexit qualifies in that regard: it's the biggest issue Britain's faced in generations, but Corbyn's not passionate enough for either side to have all that much of a stance on it. Hence he's fluctuated from position to position, with no real coherent strategy beyond what might be good electorally, the same style of politics his supporters lambasted Labour leaders for.

Which deal would best help them advance their plans for independence?

No doubt.

I guess I am responding to the many posts here which pine for a SNP-like party to vote for in England. They would be hostage to a new set of electoral pressures, and this episode shows how they'd respond.

I don't think Corbyn's necessarily an idiot: he's a solid campaigner for example who knows how to connect with voters without seeming like an utter weirdo, and that's often shown itself when he can be arsed, but at the same time I don't think he's a particularly brilliant strategist or a political mastermind. And I think a lot of his weaknesses inevitably show through when he's dealing with an issue that's undoubtedly important to the country, but which doesn't grab his own personal interest. Brexit qualifies in that regard: it's the biggest issue Britain's faced in generations, but Corbyn's not passionate enough for either side to have all that much of a stance on it. Hence he's fluctuated from position to position, with no real coherent strategy beyond what might be good electorally, the same style of politics his supporters lambasted Labour leaders for.

Corbyn is a euroskeptic his historical stance is well known.

Corbyn is a euroskeptic his historical stance is well known.

Yes, of course. Historically he was a Eurosceptic because back then it was quite common for a lot of the left to be opposed to the EU, even if such a perspective is incredibly outdated now. I think Corbyn's somewhere in the middle on the issue though: his Eurosceptic tendencies remain and he's incredibly dispassionate about the EU, but I also think (and hope) he's sensible enough to realise that most of the anti-EU sentiment comes not from leftist concerns about globalisation but anti-immigration sentiment and misguided, narrow-minded nationalism.

Some unicorns in the CM 2.0

g1mIqkM.png

Yes, of course. Historically he was a Eurosceptic because back then it was quite common for a lot of the left to be opposed to the EU, even if such a perspective is incredibly outdated now. I think Corbyn's somewhere in the middle on the issue though: his Eurosceptic tendencies remain and he's incredibly dispassionate about the EU, but I also think (and hope) he's sensible enough to realise that most of the anti-EU sentiment comes not from leftist concerns about globalisation but anti-immigration sentiment and misguided, narrow-minded nationalism.

This is exactly how I see it.

As he said pre-referendum, he's about a 7/10 in favour of the EU. It's probably more like a 5 or 6, but the last thing he wants is to own a tory brexit.

Apparently at least one senior Labour shadow cabinet member broke the whip. Ffs.

Party discipline has been terrible throughout this whole process. If you want to be in the cabinet, surely you should be taking the party line? Especially on key issues. If not then go to the backbenches or join another party.

I think that you are conflating your feelings with his:).

I think that you are conflating your feelings with his:).

I admit I'm not privvy to Corbyn's inner psyche and I can't determine what he does/or doesn't think - nevertheless I don't think he's either particularly for or against Brexit. He's too much of a historical Bennite type stuck in the past to ever support it, but he's also not really a rabid Brexiteer either. He'd like to see the UK outside the EU but likely knows his ideal model died about 40 years ago.

Absolute twats the lot of them. Should all get sacked for being useless, all of them.

I admit I'm not privvy to Corbyn's inner psyche and I can't determine what he does/or doesn't think - nevertheless I don't think he's either particularly for or against Brexit. He's too much of a historical Bennite type stuck in the past to ever support it, but he's also not really a rabid Brexiteer either. He'd like to see the UK outside the EU but likely knows his ideal model died about 40 years ago.
I've got a horrible feeling he just does what McDonnell tells him to do.