Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's no point going into a Norway style deal, you pay 95% of the fee and have to accept freedom of movement and have no say on things. Probably end up paying more as UK will lose the rebate surely. Staying a full member is infinitely better for the UK than being some 3/4 member.

The only way this would work if is this was temporary, you set your own trades deals over 5 years say, then fully leave if UK wants to honour the vote. Would be a utterly pointless and stupid compromise if this is the long term solution.

Staying a full member has always been the best option. There just aren't enough MPs who think the same way.

There's no point going into a Norway style deal, you pay 95% of the fee and have to accept freedom of movement and have no say on things. Probably end up paying more as UK will lose the rebate surely. Staying a full member is infinitely better for the UK than being some 3/4 member.

The only way this would work if is this was temporary, you set your own trades deals over 5 years say, then fully leave if UK wants to honour the vote. Would be a utterly pointless and stupid compromise if this is the long term solution.

It's all utterly stupid and pointless. The least worst brexit is the best brexit if we have to have it at all.

Staying a full member has always been the best option. There just aren't enough MPs who think the same way.
I think there are, they just aren't brave enough to say it out loud. Be interesting if it was a secret ballot.

Whats the distraction in Parliament at the moment? Causing some hilarity.

EDIT - Sounds like they had a streaker judging by the puns.

To pay for their pensions

Hence "selfish idiots". How exactly does that work when the diminishing youth is either unemployed or earning basic income? A lot of that youth are net recipients of unemployment or assistance benefits.

Moving to North Europe, both temporarily alleviates the unemployment issue and sees many of them return back with money to invest in 20-30 years time.

How are the unemployed going to create growth when there's 0 investment coming from anywhere, 0 liquidity in the banks and the taxation and NI contribution systems are extremely punishing? From where?

It's all utterly stupid and pointless. The least worst brexit is the best brexit if we have to have it at all.

Of course

Going with some Norway deal isn't fooling any leave voters though, even the most stupid ones. The core tenets of leaving were the UK pays around ~240 million a week (350m without rebate) and Freedom of Movement. None of this changes so it's an exercise in futility.

Of course

Going with some Norway deal isn't fooling any leave voters though, even the most stupid ones. The core tenets of leaving were the UK pays around ~240 million a week (350m without rebate) and Freedom of Movement. None of this changes so it's an exercise in futility.

Everyone you ask it seems the core tenets are different.

The above could be satisfied with a customs union, which ends freedom of movement and the UK wouldn't have to pay contributions for the running of the Single Market. However, another "tenet" according to May has been for us to be able to sign our own FTAs with other nations. Presumably for all our products too. Hence she's against customs union as well.

And obviously both of those clash with the reality of the Irish border.

I think there are, they just aren't brave enough to say it out loud. Be interesting if it was a secret ballot.

Aye, worth noting the majority of MP's still support Remain. Most of them obviously concerned about potentially losing their seats.

Slightly random question: it seems that any form of Brexit will be worse for the UK than staying in the EU, so why do Norway elect to stay out of the EU themselves? What do they gain from doing so?

See the two amendments for Customs Union and Boles 2.0 want the WA changed.

Well that's the end of that. The EU says read my lips.

Does that also apply if we do a long extension? I don't see why they wouldn't as it's a change of red lines really. Seems a very small technicality

Although i don't understand their obsession with the WA. Tusk has indicated they'll make the political declaration binding if required

Slightly random question: it seems that any form of Brexit will be worse for the UK than staying in the EU, so why do Norway elect to stay out of the EU themselves? What do they gain from doing so?
They really want to, but their people dgaf. If I recall correctly. Which is fair enough, why change what ain't broke?

Does that also apply if we do a long extension? I don't see why they wouldn't as it's a change of red lines really. Seems a very small technicality

For the Custom's Union it's really a small change, could be done overnight just adding it to the political declaration and doesn't solve anything really.

The 2.0 requires EFTA accepting the UK before anything else and maybe would involve a long extension but it's a negotiation on the future relationship like any other proposal bearing in mind that the withdrawal agreement is just so the UK can withdraw, but it's not a certain outcome and looks to be only a temporary demand rather than a permanent one.

Edit: In fact it sounds like an extension to the transition period.

Last edited:

Being in the Single Market comes with a lot of attachments but also a lot of freedoms, when compared to being in the EU proper. They don’t have to take any laws or regulations that don’t relate to the running of the single market. For example out of ~23k EU laws, only ~5k are mandatory and had to be accepted by the EEA members for purposes of market harmonisation.

If it strikes a balance between how much perceived sovereignty people are willing to surrender to Brussels and what is for the economic benefit of the country, then it works. Obviously problem in the UK is we had decades of media and right wing politicians portraying the EU as some sort of dictatorship and brainwashed people on that. With many now believing that giving any sort of legislative control to Brussels is akin to surrender and treason.

I feel like it's gone past the media that May has yet again called a meeting of Tories during the hours of the indicative vote debate. She's essentially called two mass walkouts whilst also claiming to be listening

They are not in it because they don't need to, they have enough strategic resources to take care of their small population and from what I have read philosophically they like being a big fish in a small pond. It's understandable and totally fair.

Quite a few Tories in the house saying they'll back CU and CM 2.0.

Im hopeful we'll see one or both pass and i hope confirmatory vote too but i think less likely.

I feel like it's gone past the media that May has yet again called a meeting of Tories during the hours of the indicative vote debate. She's essentially called two mass walkouts whilst also claiming to be listening

The only thing she's listening to is the sound of her own farts. She's an odious twat

They are not in it because they don't need to, they have enough strategic resources to take care of their small population and from what I have read philosophically they like being a big fish in a small pond. It's understandable and totally fair.

Presumably not too keen on a big whale entering the pond either.

Anyone keeping track of which motions the opposition parties are supporting?

So far I make it
Customs Union - Labour support, Lib Dems ?, SNP against, TIG against
Common Market 2 - Labour Support, Lib Dem free vote, SNP support, TIG against
Referendum - Labour support (with likely many rebellions), Lib Dem support, SNP support, TIG support
Parliamentary control - Labour against, SNP support, assuming the other two do as well

Last edited:
With their abstentions in the previous round and no in this round, the SNP is as responsible for a hard Brexit as anyone else.

Hence "selfish idiots". How exactly does that work when the diminishing youth is either unemployed or earning basic income? A lot of that youth are net recipients of unemployment or assistance benefits.

Moving to North Europe, both temporarily alleviates the unemployment issue and sees many of them return back with money to invest in 20-30 years time.

How are the unemployed going to create growth when there's 0 investment coming from anywhere, 0 liquidity in the banks and the taxation and NI contribution systems are extremely punishing? From where?
Isnt this what fom is all about? Sending the unemployed from crap countries to find work in the north / west of europe. Solves nothing back home but does allow a person to support their families from distance. Si wrong i hate it.

Isnt this what fom is all about? Sending the unemployed from crap countries to find work in the north / west of europe. Solves nothing back home but does allow a person to support their families from distance. Si wrong i hate it.

How could emigration alone solve terrible financial policies, corruption, populism and an ageing population? It can only alleviate some of the effects of the aforementioned problems. Which it does. Ergo it has a positive effect for those countries.

At the same time, low-unemployment countries of North Europe have benefited considerably from the European immigration. That is mostly people who come, work and return home to retire. Therefore spending their productive years in countries that actually need them. See the reports of the Migration Observatory for the proven tangible benefits of EU worker migration to the UK.

So, what is wrong about it and why do you hate it?

Yes. Having read it again it sounds almost like the current WA with an indefinite transition period until they can think of something better with the added complication of getting EFTA members to agree.

That's why I initially called it a disguised extension, they say that they will accept the WA and that by December 2020 they should be members of EFTA and a CU with the EU which would dissolve the backstop.

Last edited:
Parliament sounds nice and compromising today, although most of the Tory party being missing is probably responsible.