Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Right, this Motion G. Would that proposed vote be binary "hard brexit" or "revoke article 50" or would parliament have to do the Ayes to the right thing on both?

Liberal voters obviously would argue against that point wouldn't they? I can understand you disagreeing but how that makes them (and me) dishonest is slightly beyond me I'm afraid. The electoral system is a whole different subject, if you want PR (as Liberals do of course) you then have to say what type of PR, and discuss and accept that there are pros and cons to each of those as well, but as I say, that is a different subject.

On the contrary, I'm sure Lib Dem voters recognise that the need for tactical voting under FPTP limits the electoral success of their party. Certainly their party itself does. Again, though, you're misrepresenting what was said to you. I didn't accuse you of being intellectually dishonest for the reasons you seem to think, I accused you of it because you were trying to pretend that votes for Labour were always votes for Brexit: a logical position that can only be arrived at through ignorance or intellectual dishonesty. As I don't think you're ignorant, it led me to the second conclusion (which for the record, is not the same as saying you are dishonest, just that you're applying logic selectively to reach the conclusion you want to reach).

And yes, you're right that is a different debate. For the purposes of this one, all that matters is that they're all better than FPTP in terms of encouraging people to vote for what they want rather than against what they do not.

I think its weird that so little time is dedicated to thrashing this out in Parliament.

I mean, every passing day is incredibly valuable, it's surely a bit mad that they still take weekends off? I work weekends when I'm busy in work, surely these political figures tasked with steering Britain out of a horrific crisis that will potentially hinder the livelihoods of millions should be working weekends as well? If I remember correctly, MPs took like 17 days off for Christmas?

It might be a case of me just not having a good grasp on the political landscape and in reality, important work is being done behind the scenes and any more time in Parliament would just be counter-productive. Just find it a bit strange.

Right, this Motion G. Would that proposed vote be binary "hard brexit" or "revoke article 50" or would parliament have to do the Ayes to the right thing on both?

Found the text. So the proposal is that MP's should have to vote for or against no deal and if the motion for no deal fails then revoking becomes automatic.

I think its weird that so little time is dedicated to thrashing this out in Parliament.

I mean, every passing day is incredibly valuable, it's surely a bit mad that they still take weekends off? I work weekends when I'm busy in work, surely these political figures tasked with steering Britain out of a horrific crisis that will potentially hinder the livelihoods of millions should be working weekends as well? If I remember correctly, MPs took like 17 days off for Christmas?

It might be a case of me just not having a good grasp on the political landscape and in reality, important work is being done behind the scenes and any more time in Parliament would just be counter-productive. Just find it a bit strange.

It's the latter but it's still a shitty system. When days off are quoted they're from parliament sitting so constituency business still continues.

Outside of voting Parlaiment is largely a place to make announcements on records. Places like the cross-party brexit committee is where the work should happen but it's undermined by a lack of authority.

She's ordered cabinet to abstain, i mean how can you get to that position it's laughable.

Resignations incoming

Can somebody (of either remain or leave camp) answer me this without bias?

- Is it economically beneficial for the UK to sign its own trade agreements on WTO, or, will the customs union make us just as much money?

I remember right after the referendum, both Labour and Conservatives were keen on leaving both the EU and the single market. It's almost like they think we can do better with WTO and our own trade arrangements?

No one can give you an answer to that as it's impossible to know what the hypothetical deals are.
There's a world where we get amazing deals and it would be beneficial but there's no precedent for that and common sense/history tells you that size matters in these negotiations and we'll get fecked by the bigger boys.

Although Labour are whipping in favour of it, aren't there Labour MPs who ignore the whip and don't face any repercussions?

Well Kevin Baron has announced he won't vote for Customs Union 2 which usually means likes of Hoey, Mann, Stringer, Skinner and Flint won't be far behind.

Unfortunately there is no option that suits everyone. Ive been thinking for a few weeks now that Common market 2.0 is the least worst option.

I agree there's no option that suits everyone but I suspect this will suit no-one, which would be the worst possible outcome rather than the least worst. The pro-Brexit press will be slaughtering this deal, but the Remain camp won't be defending it, they'll be criticising it too, albeit for different reasons. With both sides claiming its a poor arrangement, there's a very real chance the public will hate it. At which point parties start promsing more unicorns in their manifestos again and we're back to square one.

Can somebody (of either remain or leave camp) answer me this without bias?

- Is it economically beneficial for the UK to sign its own trade agreements on WTO, or, will the customs union make us just as much money?

I remember right after the referendum, both Labour and Conservatives were keen on leaving both the EU and the single market. It's almost like they think we can do better with WTO and our own trade arrangements?

You might make more money if you set fire to all your standards and protections and sign a trade deal with the US, well probably not you specifically, JRM would make lots of money.
Otherwise you'll be better off in the CU, its a bigger market that has more negotiating power.

Honestly, I've really started to doubt if democracy works. It would if everyone had at least a minimum level of understanding with different points of view - but to be held hostage to this sort of idiocy is so depressing.

Same here. I’m sure it’s always been this way, but Brexit has really brought home quite how flawed the system is. Deeply depressing.

Honestly, I've really started to doubt if democracy works. It would if everyone had at least a minimum level of understanding with different points of view - but to be held hostage to this sort of idiocy is so depressing.
It seems to be what you get if governments gut the public education system or you make it too expensive to get an education.

I remember seeing an idea on here about restricting voting to those who meet certain criteria. It was shot down but honestly I think something along those lines is needed.

I blame the Tories first Buster, sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Absolutely no need to apologise my friend. Things are so confused now and though I take time to attempt to understand what is going on I struggle to keep up.

Anyone knows whether EFTA actually wants the UK?

They're none too keen.

And common market 2.0 is based on EFTA membership. It's a strange one because from Norway's POV it would negate the advantages of EFTA.

QUOTE="Hammerfell, post: 23904304, member: 95919"]I remember seeing an idea on here about restricting voting to those who meet certain criteria. It was shot down but honestly I think something along those lines is needed.[/QUOTE]

"Libcafe" :lol:

Shit is indeed getting real. Bercow is bound to face some vicious attacks over his choices. Some people suggesting Labour motion not included because it wasn’t submitted in time, which would just be typical..

I wish MPs had to submit a reason alongside their vote. A lot of Tories voted against the Letwin motion, considering Mays deal has been defeated 3 times how can they justify a vote against an opportunity to find a route forward? Especially true of the government

I agree there's no option that suits everyone but I suspect this will suit no-one, which would be the worst possible outcome rather than the least worst. The pro-Brexit press will be slaughtering this deal, but the Remain camp won't be defending it, they'll be criticising it too, albeit for different reasons. With both sides claiming its a poor arrangement, there's a very real chance the public will hate it. At which point parties start promsing more unicorns in their manifestos again and we're back to square one.
Your probably right, but it might give MPs enough room to claim they enacted the will of the people etc and we can all move on.

Probably not though.

Democracy works, but in an educated society.

I love the smell of unicorns in the morning.

Another example of why democracy is bad. So let's have a look at youth unemployment in the EU, shall we?

youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries.jpg

So presumably the middle-aged and elderly, who are the majority in any European nation and especially the Mediterranean South, want to stop the young and mobile workers from leaving their countries. Despite being faced with unemployment rates of 30-40%. To do what exactly, if they stay? Further depress salaries due to competition for jobs? To sit there and starve? Imagine some populist party makes that their promise to win votes. Turn the countries into North Korea style prisons.

People are idiots. Selfish idiots.

SNP not supporting Clarke's, which makes things tricky for it.

I love the smell of unicorns in the morning.

Another example of why democracy is bad. So let's have a look at youth unemployment in the EU, shall we?

youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries.jpg

So presumably the middle-aged and elderly, who are the majority in any European nation and especially the Mediterranean South, want to stop the young and mobile workers from leaving their countries. Despite being faced with unemployment rates of 30-40%. To do what exactly, if they stay? Further depress salaries due to competition for jobs? To sit there and starve? Imagine some populist party makes that their promise to win votes. Turn the countries into North Korea style prisons.

People are idiots. Selfish idiots.

To pay for their pensions

There's no point going into a Norway style deal, you pay 95% of the fee and have to accept freedom of movement and have no say on things. Probably end up paying more as UK will lose the rebate surely. Staying a full member is infinitely better for the UK than being some 3/4 member.

The only way this would work if is this was temporary, you set your own trades deals over 5 years say, then fully leave if UK wants to honour the vote. Would be a utterly pointless and stupid compromise if this is the long term solution.