Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Given the distinct lack of scruples in the both of them, what makes you so sure either of them voted to remain despite campaigning for it?

After all, Corbyn's campaign for remain was akin to his current performance with regards to opposing the government; weak at best.

It's on Public record that they declared they were voting Remain.

Honestly, I've really started to doubt if democracy works. It would if everyone had at least a minimum level of understanding with different points of view - but to be held hostage to this sort of idiocy is so depressing.
Democracy works, but in an educated society.

Complete guesswork but i reckon there's a lot of liberals who were principally against some elements of the EU that are now remain supporters and march for it. I'd say they're opposed to being out as much as in because principles and pragmatism often conflict. Corbyn falls into that category i think.

Mays always had issues with immigration and EU law superseding our own but i don't think she was a leaver.

All people probably have some misgivings one way or another but usually vote on balance what would be in their interests and in the case of politicians what should be the best for their country.
My very low opinion of both May and Corbyn is that they are both basically liars and have no integrity.

In the UK don't we vote for a representative for the constituency whose own politics may differ from the parties? So if you voted for a remain candidate in a leave party then you still voted remain.

For example people who voted Ken Clarke voted for a remain candidate in a leave party.

In the UK don't we vote for a representative for the constituency whose own politics may differ from the parties? So if you voted for a remain candidate in a leave party then you still voted remain.

But what if you voted for a remain candidate in a leave party, in a leave constituency? :confused:

For example people who voted Ken Clarke voted for a remain candidate in a leave party.

Sums up one of the many problems with the UK system.

Except that MPs don’t run on a single issue. The election wasn’t a choice or remain vs leave and I wish people would stop suggesting it was whichever way people voted.

It's a consideration but largely party politics is based on party mandates. They didn't have a choice to vote for another Tory candidate even if they disagreed with Ken.

Even deselection which is demonstrating choice has become a dirty word. There's just no mechanism to vote against your candidate views but for your party.

A lot of different ways of claiming Labour voters aren't responsible for Brexit here, or their leaders, I suspect. In denial is the phrase that comes to mind.

Except that's not what has been said at all.

Intellectual dishonesty is the phrase that comes to mind...

I've always voted Labour but I cancelled my membership a few months back because of Labour's Brexit approach and their handling of antisemitism.

Honestly don't know who I'd vote for in an election. Probably the Lib Dems.

I am with you on this. Always voted for Labour primarily because I didn't agree with the nasty party politics and still don't.
I will wait and see what happens because I don't see a GE being iminent.
Change UK might be interesting but absolutely not Liberal.

This country has far more important things to get resolved before the time is right for an election.

I am with you on this. Always voted for Labour primarily because I didn't agree with the nasty party politics and still don't.

This country has far more important things to get resolved before the time is right for an election.
Vote SNP

That may be true but how many Labour supporters just on this forum who voted Labour in the last election and support Remain?

Me for one.
I don’t see how the two are not mutually compatible. Politics is so dominated by leaving the EU but we must remember that there are countless other issues within the UK that need to be resolved.

We can all see the fallout from the failed austerity policy. With the idiot Cameron and his henchmen lead by the equally idiotic George Osborne they only had one policy - austerity for austerity sake.
When it became obvious that the fiscal side was not going to be achieved they kicked that target into the long grass but continued to screw public services.

A lot of different ways of claiming Labour voters aren't responsible for Brexit here, or their leaders, I suspect. In denial is the phrase that comes to mind.

Someone else who has swallowed the Tories blame culture. It is everyone else who is at fault but not us...
Complete and utterly bullshit.

Change UK are considering an alliance with the Lib Dems:
The Independent Group is mulling an electoral alliance with the Liberal Democrats in which they would both run under the same "umbrella" and field joint candidates in certain seats at future elections.

The group of former Labour and Conservative MPs announced this week that they are applying to become a political party under the name of Change UK. The party-to-be also plans to field candidates in the May European Parliament elections, should a lengthy delay to Brexit force the UK to partake.

Business Insider has been told that the group has discussed forming an electoral alliance with the Liberal Democrats which is similar to the Labour party's relationship with the Cooperative Party.
https://www.businessinsider.com/the...-alliance-with-liberoal-democrats-2019-3?IR=T

Me for one.
I don’t see how the two are not mutually compatible. Politics is so dominated by leaving the EU but we must remember that there are countless other issues within the UK that need to be resolved.

We can all see the fallout from the failed austerity policy. With the idiot Cameron and his henchmen lead by the equally idiotic George Osborne they only had one policy - austerity for austerity sake.
When it became obvious that the fiscal side was not going to be achieved they kicked that target into the long grass but continued to screw public services.

That's the problem, it's not just about one subject. There are plenty of Tory voters who are pro-remain as there are Labour voters, also as there are Tory Mps and Labour MPs. Brexit has really broken UK politics and it needs a complete overhaul.

The only people I consider responsible for Brexit are the people who voted for it, whatever their political persuasion, being gullible, ignorant or xenophobic is no excuse. But whatever happens they must take responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

Last edited:
Oh right, so Labour voters are responsible for Brexit then? I wasn't being dishonest, I genuinely thought people were claiming otherwise.

Very few people will defend the leadership on this issue. Dobba and Mozza will, but that's about it.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty certain you know how our electoral system works and I'm pretty certain you know why people might vote for a party that has a policy they don't like (such as Labour's manifesto pledge for a softer form of Brexit) in order to prevent a party with a manifesto pledge that they REALLY don't like winning — especially when they think that a party with a policy they do like (such as holding a referendum) won't win their seat.

To claim otherwise, and then to accuse others of being in denial simply for correctly pointing out how elections work when I'm certain you already know this, stinks of intellectual dishonesty.

There are Remain supporting Labour voters I don't have sympathy for (if you voted for Kate Hoey in a seat which has Lib Dems in second place you are an idiot or don't care about her stance on Brexit), but you're simply trying to blame people for having to cast their vote in a flawed system.

Very few people will defend the leadership on this issue. Dobba and Mozza will, but that's about it.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty certain you know how our electoral system works and I'm pretty certain you know why people might vote for a party that has a policy they don't like (such as Labour's manifesto pledge for a softer form of Brexit) in order to prevent a party with a manifesto pledge that they REALLY don't like winning — especially when they think that a party with a policy they do like (such as holding a referendum) won't win their seat.

To claim otherwise, and then to accuse others of being in denial simply for correctly pointing out how elections work when I'm certain you already know this, stinks of intellectual dishonesty.

There are Remain supporting Labour voters I don't have sympathy for (if you voted for Kate Hoey in a seat which has Lib Dems in second place you are an idiot or don't care about her stance on Brexit), but you're simply trying to blame people for having to cast their vote in a flawed system.

Not debating the rest but where is Labour's softer form of Brexit? Unicorns don't count.

Not debating the rest but where is Labour's softer form of Brexit? Unicorns don't count.

Well they definitely do in this case. Your options in 2017 were a rock hard Brexit supported by a bunch of racists and cnuts, or a pledge for a softer Brexit which was unfeasible. They weren't by any stretch of the imagination great choices, but there's not really any issue with voters deciding they preferred what Labour was offering to the Tories whether they knew Labour's Brexit plan was flawed or whether they didn't.

Well they definitely do in this case. Your options in 2017 were a rock hard Brexit supported by a bunch of racists and cnuts, or a pledge for a softer Brexit which was unfeasible. They weren't by any stretch of the imagination great choices, but there's not really any issue with voters deciding they preferred what Labour was offering to the Tories whether they knew Labour's Brexit plan was flawed or whether they didn't.

Which means either Labour were lying or stupid. Depressing stuff.

Which means either Labour were lying or stupid. Depressing stuff.

I think it depends on what you think those unicorns were doing. At that stage it wasn't necessarily a problem that you were asking the EU to do to things they wouldn't agree to, as long as it was a negotiating position and were prepared to compromise.

As we now know, I think it's pretty clear that they actually represent a fundamental misunderstanding of what the EU is, wants, and could agree too.

The fact that that still was a better option than May and her red lines is certainly depressing.

Yes of course, it's how five minutes later those same people loudly protest that the secondary 'policy they don't like' is the biggest disaster to hit the country for generations that rankles. If you think that's dishonest, so be it, although it's ironic that is the very thing I'm accusing Corbyn supporters of being, although more dishonest with themselves to be fair.

Yes of course, it's how five minutes later those same people loudly protest that the secondary 'policy they don't like' is the biggest disaster to hit the country for generations that rankles. If you think that's dishonest, so be it, although it's ironic that is the very thing I'm accusing Corbyn supporters of being, although more dishonest with themselves to be fair.

I'm just going to post this again in bold and underlined: You're simply trying to blame people for having to cast their vote in a flawed system.

I'm just going to post this again in bold and underlined: You're simply trying to blame people for having to cast their vote in a flawed system.

If that's how you regard 'five minutes later those same people loudly protest that the secondary 'policy they don't like' is the biggest disaster to hit the country for generations that rankles' then we've identified our disagreement and I'll leave it there.

I'd prefer this to mays deal or no deal, but I cant help but think this suits no-one. EU membership is totemic for both sides of the argument, so this halfway house is more likely to suit no-one than everyone.

If that's how you regard 'five minutes later those same people loudly protest that the secondary 'policy they don't like' is the biggest disaster to hit the country for generations that rankles' then we've identified our disagreement and I'll leave it there.

Because, providing you understand (as you claim to do) how our system works, that is a completely consistent position to hold.

If you think Brexit is a disaster and your two options are 1) Really, really bad disaster and 2) really bad disaster it is completely legitimate to vote for 'really bad disaster' over 'really, really bad disaster'.

That was the reality for a huge portion of Labour Remainers in the last election. That they didn't vote Lib Dem or Green because they were worried that that would lead to the Tories winning says nothing other than FPTP is a bad system.

Our disagreement stems from you claiming to know this, but trying to argue against this fundamental point.

I'd prefer this to mays deal or no deal, but I cant help but think this suits no-one. EU membership is totemic for both sides of the argument, so this halfway house is more likely to suit no-one than everyone.
Unfortunately there is no option that suits everyone. Ive been thinking for a few weeks now that Common market 2.0 is the least worst option.

It was a secret ballot, what they say on public record is irrelevant once they are in the booth. Am I being ignorant or cynical here?
A bit irrelevant, no? It's much more important what they campaigned for (no matter how weak the campaign) than what they voted for. Their vote is one vote like anyone else, their campaigns would be worth thousands of votes.

Last edited:
Corbyn has been a euro-skeptic for decades, why would he change now?

Mays record on immigration in the HO speaks to where her real beliefs lie and it’s not to remain

That's true about Corbyn, why anyone should think he will change his beliefs I don't know... well perhaps if he gets his GE, he will 'turn his coat', but since the Tories aren't playing that game... just yet, then he can carry on with his subterfuge.

May foolishly thought if she could just land/agree some change on FoM, with EU, then everything else would pass muster with the 'Leavers' and they would vote her deal through. The truth is there is a myriad of reasons why people voted leave, mostly it had nothing to do with economics and was about 'getting out from under' in a political sense. For some people voting leave was done on a whim, for others an expression of long held deep belief, but for most I suspect it was a poke in the eye for the 'liberal elite'.

The truth is the UK has been a poor European State, in particular when various UK leaders realised what we had signed up to; hence we have opted out of all sorts of things, demanded rebates, not joined the euro zone, are definitely against further integration, no support for a EU army, etc. etc. you would think the EU would be glad to be rid of us wouldn't you?

So why haven't they said "on yer bike"? Perhaps they will in the next week or so? After all there are enough looming problems in the other 27 States and there is a change of leadership etc. due in the EU, that they could well do without the awkward squad from the UK stirring things up.

Because, providing you understand (as you claim to do) how our system works, that is a completely consistent position to hold.

If you think Brexit is a disaster and your two options are 1) Really, really bad disaster and 2) really bad disaster it is completely legitimate to vote for 'really bad disaster' over 'really, really bad disaster'.

That was the reality for a huge portion of Labour Remainers in the last election. That they didn't vote Lib Dem or Green because they were worried that that would lead to the Tories winning says nothing other than FPTP is a bad system.

Our disagreement stems from you claiming to know this, but trying to argue against this fundamental point.
Liberal voters obviously would argue against that point wouldn't they? I can understand you disagreeing but how that makes them (and me) dishonest is slightly beyond me I'm afraid. The electoral system is a whole different subject, if you want PR (as Liberals do of course) you then have to say what type of PR, and discuss and accept that there are pros and cons to each of those as well, but as I say, that is a different subject.