Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That article is a little unfair though, isn't it?

She can't rule out No Deal. How could she? It's the default position: that is what will happen unless a deal is accepted or Article 50 is revoked. May cannot do either of those things without Parliament's approval. How do they expect her to rule out no deal? Say that it won't happen? It's not up to her at this point actually.

But it is true that Parliament has only decided AGAINST things. We know what isn't acceptable to the current House of Commons. We have no clue what is it they would accept.
A lot of which is her causing. She went off and did her own thing without consulting others only to bang the same drum for months even though it was clear MPs were against it and nothing has changed.

That is because the PM in an entirely authoritarian manner took no counsel from Parliament and offered a series of proposals guided by "red lines" no one agreed to.

They voted to rule out no deal in the hope that May will prevent the law from kicking in and hoping, despite her flagrant disregard for Parliament so far, that she follows the will of the house because all she gave them was a deal that there was no view of as it was built, with no consultation that didn't work for the House.

She will not listen. She never has. She created her deal or no deal. Her leadership is the opposite of the cross party diplomacy that was needed and it has been thus for the whole of her Prime Ministership.

She has been the enemy of Parliament, a poor diplomat and pig headed leader. History will not remember her well.
This is a great summary.

Very unfortunately. Their voter base is that thick, the DUPers just have to bleat on about keeping “them uns” (Catholics) out and about how the big bad Sinn Fein monster will destroy their way of life.
Tbf DUP and SF are equally as bad as each other - just polar opposite views. Bunch of gobshites

I think the fact it will be tied to an extension will be enough to get it through to another vote. It doesn't matter though, the deal is dead. Any slim chance she had of getting it through she killed last night with her speech.

So I'd assume it's a longer delay and the resignation of the PM?

but haven't they said we only get an extension if it passes? Or have I got that wrong?

I fear the worst outcome out of the shenanigans is an anti-establishment leader for the UK in the form of Trump.

Tbf DUP and SF are equally as bad as each other - just polar opposite views. Bunch of gobshites
In our defence, some of us spend our days screaming about the alternatives. And not just middle of the road either. Nationalists and unionists both have great choices in SDLP and UUP that they won't vote for in meaningful numbers.

In our defence, some of us spend our days screaming about the alternatives. And not just middle of the road either. Nationalists and unionists both have great choices in SDLP and UUP that they won't vote for in meaningful numbers.

Is there an obvious reason for that outside of tradition?

It's going to be Johnson isn't it and he's going to be so busy rimming trump he's basically going to let mogg run the shitshow
I thought being eaten by a giant spider with mini sucking arseholes for fangs was my biggest fear, but apparently not.

Have to disagree on that one GB. DUP have even been telling their farmer vote base to stfu even though they have been protesting a no deal brexit and defending the backstop. This false equivalency nonsense doesnt fly anymore sorry!

Is there an obvious reason for that outside of tradition?
It's not even tradition, SLDP and UUP used to be the dominant parties here. But Sinn Fein and DUP have somehow both managed to simultaneously move into the the centre ground taking the moderate vote and whip up the eejits on both ends of the spectrum too. It would be impressive if it wasn't crippling us.

And there's no parliamentary majority for:
no deal
May's deal
2nd vote
revoking A50

Ironically the only thing that might have been pushed through parliament is Corbyn's Norway-style formula, but he's not in power, so...

I see No-deal as the best case scenario now.

Even if May's deal goes through, she is going to resign and whoever is going to take her position, will screw up the negotiations over the next two years and it will be again a clusterfeck, without even considering the Irish border problem, which supposedly can be fixed through some mythical technology.

Even if May's deal goes through, she is going to resign and whoever is going to take her position, will screw up the negotiations over the next two years and it will be again a clusterfeck, without even considering the Irish border problem, which supposedly can be fixed through some mythical technology.
This makes no sense. How is it?

Guardian said:
May addressed her fellow leaders earlier, in a 90-minute question and answer session that by all accounts did not go well, as she flatly refused to say what she plans to do if her deal is rejected for a third time.
FFS

So it's better to just not have further negotiations, screwing the economy even more and costing lots of people their jobs, while still not fixing the Irish border problem?

Two years with some chance, however small, is better than no chance, which is no deal.

but he's not in power, so...

I know someone who voted Remain in the referendum and now will have his business affected by a no deal. Yet when it came to 2017 election he voted, yep you guessed it Tory.

And yes he completely blames Corbyn for the mess we are in. :wenger:

This makes no sense. How is it?

So it's better to just not have further negotiations, screwing the economy even more and costing lots of people their jobs, while still not fixing the Irish border problem?

Two years with some chance, however small, is better than no chance, which is no deal.

The withdrawal agreement is just a transition phase, everything has to be negotiated over the next two years. The uncertainty is what is hurting businesses and forcing them to move.

No-deal could lead to two possibilities.
1) The economy tanks, people unrest leading to joining the EU again.
2) somehow they negotiate some deal and the economy doesn't tank and people move on with their lives.

As I said, the uncertainty is the main issue here. May's deal is not going to make it any better.

I know someone who voted Remain in the referendum and now will have his business affected by a no deal. Yet when it came to 2017 election he voted..... yep you guessed it Tory.

And yes he completely blames Corbyn for the mess we are in. :wenger:

Tory voter refusing to accept reality shocker. I'm shocked.

And the bastxxxs are using all the noise about Brexit to cover up a very nasty increase in Probate charges.
And don't think that this will only affect the 'rich'.
Anyone who owns a house or who owns half of the house with your spouse owning the other half will be adversely affected with costs running into thousands of pounds.

Probate was a fixed charge. Now there is a sliding charge that has to be paid before probate is granted.

This despicable government has made this change by calling the new probate charges a FEE when in fact it is a TAX increase. By calling it a fee it did not require parliamentary approval.
Bastxxxs.

It's not even tradition, SLDP and UUP used to be the dominant parties here. But Sinn Fein and DUP have somehow both managed to simultaneously move into the the centre ground taking the moderate vote and whip up the eejits on both ends of the spectrum too. It would be impressive if it wasn't crippling us.

I'll be honest, I'm dumbfounded. From what you guys have to say about both parties and the way they act, voting for them makes no sense.

This won't happen though. Not in the immediate future because the far right wont accept it. Both the General Public and the MPs who supported Brexit (who will be making a pretty penny from it all). Once we're out, we're out and we'll be living with the consequences for a while imo.

Have to disagree on that one GB. DUP have even been telling their farmer vote base to stfu even though they have been protesting a no deal brexit and defending the backstop. This false equivalency nonsense doesnt fly anymore sorry!
You know SF could play a blinder here and take their seats in London to vote on the biggest issue in UKs recent history. Could fcuk up the UK for years without doing anything other than vote

You know SF could play a blinder here and take their seats in London to vote on the biggest issue in UKs recent history. Could fcuk up the UK for years without doing anything other than vote

I was thinking about that as well. This would be a historic time for them to take the seats finally, but I don't see how 7 votes are going to help any case.

The withdrawal agreement is just a transition phase, everything has to be negotiated over the next two years. The uncertainty is what is hurting businesses and forcing them to move.

No-deal could lead to two possibilities.
2) somehow they negotiate some deal and the economy doesn't tank and people move on with their lives.

As I said, the uncertainty is the main issue here. May's deal is not going to make it any better.
Surely, the reason the uncertainty is so crippling is because one of the possible outcomes is no deal?

Preferring no deal over uncertainty is somewhat like preferring death over an uncertain prognosis.

I'll be honest, I'm dumbfounded. From what you guys have to say about both parties and the way they act, voting for them makes no sense.

In short: because if we don't vote for us ones, themmuns will definitely vote for themmuns (can't have that).

It's a narrow-minded voting system but it's very real. Put it this way, I wouldn't bank on any person who votes for either DUP or Sinn Fein buying into their political agenda beyond being a stick to beat the other with.

Meanwhile our economy, schools, hospitals etc go without a care because this is who we're left with.

Both of them need to feck off.

Not from Northern Ireland so could be wrong but my guess is that things in the current state are a delicate balance. Neither side is comfortable going an inch further so they elect intractable, fanatics who wont move. It just seems kind of defensive.
Thats my interpretation

Surely, the reason the uncertainty is so crippling is because one of the possible outcomes is no deal?

Preferring no deal over uncertainty is somewhat like preferring death over an uncertain prognosis.

I don't believe so. Say, if the instructions were clear from Day 1 that it was going to be a no deal, there would have been preparations in place now.

I would prefer a soft brexit/no brexit at all, but the parliament has been so callous and incompetent, which makes me think that we are never going to get a deal which the majority likes and the negotiations keep prolonging the inevitable.