Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May was always seen as a lukewarm remainer either way. My take on it is she saw pros and cons on both sides and weighed it up and came down slightly on the remain side, principally because that is the pro business position. But she never cared much for immigrants so it wasnt hard for her to get behind Leave.

His biggest of big mistakes wasn't the calling of the referendum. It was the complete and total failure to carry out any form of planning and risk assessment.

Even he should know the maxim - don't ask a question if you don't know what to do with the answer.

What kind of plan should be expected beyond putting a negotiating team together, triggering art. 50 and beginning the negotiations? I think we're reaching a bit here.

Aye his Tory government was just brilliant aside from that.

Far from it. I was talking from the narrow perspective of handling the Brexit/EU situation.

Isn't this the biggest issue with May? She seems oblivious to the fact that if her deal gets voted down (again) it'll be less than a week to prepare for a No Deal Brexit and probable chaos.

So is it right to say that if the deal is voted down (if she even gets another go at it) then a no deal Brexit is a 99% certainty?

Is that where we have got to?

So is it right to say that if the deal is voted down (if she even gets another go at it) then a no deal Brexit is a 99% certainty?

The only other option is to slam on the brakes by revoking Article 50 (hence the petition today). May would see that as a massive personal failure.

In a way, no deal is fairly likely because no-one needs to vote to agree on anything for that to happen. It's the default position on Brexit day if May's deal isn't approved in the House.

Not at all. Alastair Campbell is right in saying that if her deal gets voted down again, the EU leaders would meet again and agree to a two year extension. Neither the government nor the eu will allow a no deal brexit.
IMO it’ll be a 2 year extension and then house votes for a “soft” brexit, which is basically being in the EU or another referendum after the extension with remain then winning.

She's an absolute masochist. Holding the future of the country to the will of 27% of the voting population.

Not at all. Alastair Campbell is right in saying that if her deal gets voted down again, the EU leaders would meet again and agree to a two year extension. Neither the government nor the eu will allow a no deal brexit.
IMO it’ll be a 2 year extension and then house votes for a “soft” brexit, which is basically being in the EU or another referendum after the extension with remain then winning.

She has to go and ask the EU for the prolonged extension, no?

If (when) her deal gets voted down, she might choose to simply sit out the remaining days until 'no deal' automatically comes in to effect.

How do Parliament compel her to act? They cannot remove/replace her in time.

She will blame the ensuing chaos on Parliament (Labour) and the EU - this began last night.

She has to go and ask the EU for the prolonged extension, no?

If (when) her deal gets voted down, she might choose to simply sit out the remaining days until 'no deal' automatically comes in to effect.

How do Parliament compel her to act? They cannot remove/replace her in time.

She will blame the ensuing chaos on Parliament (Labour) and the EU - this began last night.
I have a sneaky suspicion that behind closed doors, she’s discussed it with EU
leaders already but her and them will keep putting no deal as the firm alternative to scare people into voting through her deal. No way in hell will either side allow a no deal brexit. It could have 90% public approval and they still wouldn’t allow it to happen.

It is bullshit. It's off by 10%.

72.2% turnout. 52% voted leave. 72.2% * 52% = 37.5%.
The 28% that didn't vote had a chance to have a say and they forfeited it.. They don't get to whine now.

Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest... get your hands off my penis

This whole thing is just insane at this point. It's still laughable to think that they tried to push the narrative that May was Thatcher 2.0 at one point. Thatcher was a cnut but at least she was good at being one. May is just useless.

The only other option is to slam on the brakes by revoking Article 50 (hence the petition today). May would see that as a massive personal failure.

In a way, no deal is fairly likely because no-one needs to vote to agree on anything for that to happen. It's the default position on Brexit day if May's deal isn't approved in the House.

Yes, because she has been such a success so far.

How popular are they among Unionists?
Very unfortunately. Their voter base is that thick, the DUPers just have to bleat on about keeping “them uns” (Catholics) out and about how the big bad Sinn Fein monster will destroy their way of life.

You're right. He should have gotten the DUP and ERG in order, and got his Tory whips to back his deal and control his own party. He should have negotiated with the EU earlier.

Oh wait,

So you think Corbyn has helped the situation? All I see is a completely inept person who has completely failed to hold the government to account.

Very unfortunately. Their voter base is that thick, the DUPers just have to bleat on about keeping “them uns” (Catholics) out and about how the big bad Sinn Fein monster will destroy their way of life.

That's not true. Most Unionists fecking hate the DUP - in fact most people here fecking hate them. The trouble is there are no other parties to vote for really if you are that way inclined.

I should note that I've never voted for them and would rather cut my own arm off than vote for the scum and I'm from a 'unionist' background.

A member of the public has just said one of the most confusing sentences I have ever heard on Radio 5 Live.

"No one's said whether we shouldn't be leaving the Brexit" - quadruple negative?

Problem is that if the UK had 5 years to prepare it would never be enough.

Do you think it's valuable to say the same thing over and over and over again, to the same group of people, who have no influence whatsoever on the thing you're obsessing over?

But why? Why is No Deal good for a Northern Irish unionist party? Isn't it a dangerous policy, considering that Northern Ireland voted Remain. Aren't they afraid that their hardline No Deal stance will increase the popularity of the concept of a united Ireland?
It’s complicated. The DUP are saying they don’t want a hard brexit and a border in Ireland, but they’d love anything to further split the North from the South, however you’re right that this could backfire on them by pushing more moderates towards the idea of Irish Unity.

On the other hand, Sinn Fein for obvious reasons don’t want a hard brexit or a hard border, however long term, this would be favourable for nationalism as it would make a unity referendum unavoidable.

As a block of voters, they're about as thick as sinn fein voters to be fair. That's the issue with the bloody country.

Yes, because she has been such a success so far.
She thinks she has.
She doesn't know yet, and neither do we. Her plan hasn't changed for a good while, take it to the wire so there's a binary choice and no alternative. Only then will we know whether her plan has been successful or not.

She does seem to have wound up some of the MPs who were ready to switch to her side, but come that last vote their choicesd will be the same, wound up or not, deal or no deal. I reckon she still has a good chance, but I might be the last one to think so.

She doesn't know yet, and neither do we. Her plan hasn't changed for a good while, take it to the wire so there's a binary choice and no alternative. Only then will we know whether her plan has been successful or not.

She does seem to have wound up some of the MPs who were ready to switch to her side, but come that last vote their choicesd will be the same, wound up or not, deal or no deal. I reckon she still has a good chance, but I might be the last one to think so.
In fairness if she gets it through (and to be honest I think she might) she will walk away and probably leave an almighty mess for whoever follows but she will still probably be seen as having done better than Cameron did in loosing the referendum then walking away.

Suspect she might be able to get the deal through and that the erg etc know the real prize isn't the w.a. but the nature of any future trading arrangement and that having a right wing nut job in charge of that is worth any shoddy w.a.

Suspect the main people in the next cabinet will be
Johnson mogg Davies ledsom raab and probably POB as he always seems to slime his way in there

In fairness if she gets it through (and to be honest I think she might) she will walk away and probably leave an almighty mess for whoever follows but she will still probably be seen as having done better than Cameron did in loosing the referendum then walking away.

Suspect she might be able to get the deal through and that the erg etc know the real prize isn't the w.a. but the nature of any future trading arrangement and that having a right wing nut job in charge of that is worth any shoddy w.a.

Suspect the main people in the next cabinet will be
Johnson mogg Davies ledsom raab and probably POB as he always seems to slime his way in there
All of that could be true sun, every bit of it!

Sky said:
No one can doubt the prime minister's determination and fortitude. She worked tirelessly to secure her deal and in so doing implement the result of the referendum as she saw it.

Do the PM's words reveal anything else about her strategy as she battles through the ongoing crisis at Westminster?

The problem is that vision was rejected - twice and by the biggest margins in history. Yet the prime minister has simply not responded, politically, intellectually or possibly even personally.

She seems to have dug a psychological bunker so profound that the reality of her defeats has been unable to reach its depths.

She has reacted not with humility or contrition or openness, but with a tone so lecturing and hubristic that many MPs have thought her deeply arrogant. Her spokesman explains this by saying she is frustrated with parliament's "inability to take a decision".

The truth is it has, repeatedly on all manner of things - they're just not decisions to her liking.

Mrs May is unique in our constitutional history in refusing to accept the will of the House of Commons. This streak was most clearly on display on Wednesday when she refused to act on her own motion from last week which said she would seek a long extension to Article 50 if her deal had not passed by now.

She has also reneged on the idea of indicative votes to determine the will of the House, something her deputy promised only days ago. She has repeatedly flouted convention by not resigning after the major defeat of legislation.

She thought she could just ignore the rules of the Commons which say they must not vote on something more than once. She has refused to rule out no deal despite the fact that, again, the House of Commons voted for such a move twice.

It's no wonder that MPs on all sides of the House think she treats them with little or no respect. Her message is that they must travel with her because she says so, because they must.

But parliamentary democracy does not work in such a fashion, especially if you lead a minority government.

Mrs May acts as if she has an enormous majority and that she can bend them to her will - but she has not and she cannot. It is no surprise hers is the first government in history to be found in contempt of parliament.

The 28% that didn't vote had a chance to have a say and they forfeited it.. They don't get to whine now.

Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest... get your hands off my penis

That's not how our democracy works at all actually...