Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rooney24

Do the DUP actually want a no deal, if so why? Surely it causes chaos their end?
It would suit them immensely. What they say in public and what their doctrine is are two totally different things.

They wont bat an eyelid if a hard border is put up either. In public they will point the finger at someone else about it, but in reality they could care less.

A border between the UK and the Republic is utopia for them.

NinjaFletch

The "parliament won't allow No Deal" crew better think again.
Conservatives have shown time and time again they will never put country before party.
I don't think there's any read of the Parliamentary maths that can convincingly argue 'No Deal' would be the option that would unify Conservatives.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
EDIT: Just re-read, sorry to hear about the passing of your MiL :(

Those figures do prove that the only other group that rated higher for a leave collective was stupid people though.
The figures do seem to support that age and education were major factors so it should not really be surprising if people make sweeeping generalisations using synonyms for "elderly" and "uneducated" (as I did above).

I'd like to see the revised figures now though, I'm feeling the older generation figure will be dramatically reduced (as they originally trusted their printed media and have now been lectured for 2 years by their offspring). However, I feel the lower end of the educated figure will be about the same IMO.
Thanks for that kind remark. :)

So the ones we should go after are uneducated oldies? All joking aside, it would be a travesty if 16- and 17-year-olds weren't allowed a say in a second vote. It's really an issue of vital importance to teenagers.

Shinjch

It would suit them immensely. What they say in public and what their doctrine is are two totally different things.

They wont bat an eyelid if a hard border is put up either. In public they will point the finger at someone else about it, but in reality they could care less.

A border between the UK and the Republic is utopia for them.
They have always been against the GFA as well, probably see a no deal as a handy way to do away with it.

stevoc

Do the DUP actually want a no deal, if so why? Surely it causes chaos their end?
The DUP don't mind no deal, sure it will cause them some problems. But it will lead to a hard border which they want despite what they may say publicly. And could possibly even result in the the GFA being torn up which they've been having wet dreams over for 20 years.

They were after all the only party that campaigned for people to vote against the Good Friday Agreement.

The DUP are Far right, Climate change denying, Young Earth believing, Homophobic, Xenophobic, Racist, Sectarian, Isolationist lunatics, (Probably Flat Earthers too). You should never expect any common sense or rational thinking from them.

Last edited:

Dave89

The DUP don't mind no deal, sure it will cause them some problems. But it will lead to a hard border which they want despite what they may say publicly. And could possibly even result in the the GFA being torn up which they've been having wet dreams over for 20 years.

They were after all the only party that campaigned for people to vote against the Good Friday Agreement.

The DUP are Far right, Climate change denying, Young Earth believing, Homophobic, Xenophobic, Racist, Sectarian, Isolationist lunatics, (Probably Flat Earthers too). You should ever expect any common sense or rational thinking from them.
And they're my only voice in Parliament at the minute. Ah well...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

The DUP are Far right, Climate change denying, Young Earth believing, Homophobic, Xenophobic, Racist, Sectarian, Isolationist lunatics, (Probably Flat Earthers too). You should ever expect any common sense or rational thinking from them.
How popular are they among Unionists?

Dave89

Has she said how she will get round the speaker?
If she has enough votes to pass the WA then she has enough votes to bypass the speaker's block. His power is only designed to stop bills that Parliament won't approve.

SqueakyWeasel

Thanks for that kind remark. :)

So the ones we should go after are uneducated oldies? All joking aside, it would be a travesty if 16- and 17-year-olds weren't allowed a say in a second vote. It's really an issue of vital importance to teenagers.
True, was going to write a lot more but exhausted and have a trip over to London to look forward to … hostile Border Forces demanding to know how long a British passport holder will be staying in the country :confused:

Rooney24

It would effectively be dead in my opinion in the event of a no deal.

It got me wondering though....as part of the GFA the ROI gave up articles 2 & 3, their constitutional claim to NI. I doubt it and wouldnt see it happening but I would wonder if there is an argument to insert them back into the constitution?

Probably not and it would rock the boat too much but there may be an element of people who might think if the GFA is dead we gave up that claim for nothing.

Maticmaker

So..old people are complete idiots are they.
Please tell me (I am 68 by the way) am I a complete idiot because I voted to remain.

Quite frankly only a complete idiot would make such a groundless and utterly idiotic statement.
You've come to the right place for them mate!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Can you sign the petition using different email addresses? Not that I've received my first confirmation

Raulduke

It's very hard to tell what's unprecedented these days but the TUC and the CBI issuing a joint letter seems like it is.

stevoc

How popular are they among Unionists?
Well they're the biggest Unionist party and they have their loyal supporters. But i've met quite a few people over the years who only vote for them to keep Sinn Fein from gaining too much power.

stevoc

It would effectively be dead in my opinion in the event of a no deal.
Sadly i agree.

It got me wondering though....as part of the GFA the ROI gave up articles 2 & 3, their constitutional claim to NI. I doubt it and wouldnt see it happening but I would wonder if there is an argument to insert them back into the constitution?

Probably not and it would rock the boat too much but there may be an element of people who might think if the GFA is dead we gave up that claim for nothing.
I doubt there would be any appetite for reinstating articles 2 and 3, but you're right Ireland would have made that concession ultimately for nothing.

MadMike

I've taken next week off work to bask in the glory of Brexit. I can't wait for the rush of dopamine as the shackles come off and the feeling of taking back control takes over. Let's get on with it! white text

Siorac

DUP have always wanted a no deal despite what they might have said. They are right wing fundamentalists who sit well with the ERG crowd.
But why? Why is No Deal good for a Northern Irish unionist party? Isn't it a dangerous policy, considering that Northern Ireland voted Remain. Aren't they afraid that their hardline No Deal stance will increase the popularity of the concept of a united Ireland?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've taken next week off work to bask in the glory of Brexit. I can't wait for the rush of dopamine as the shackles come off and the feeling of taking back control takes over. Let's get on with it! white text
I too cannot wait for these morons to have even more control white text

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
But why? Why is No Deal good for a Northern Irish unionist party? Isn't it a dangerous policy, considering that Northern Ireland voted Remain. Aren't they afraid that their hardline No Deal stance will increase the popularity of the concept of a united Ireland?
Probably because they think they are shackled by the EU’s horrendous Human Rights laws and progressive protectionism of its citizens.

The sooner they are out of EU control they can start bringing back their draconian practices.

Shinjch

They know that the unionist community will still come out for them again and again through fear of the other side more than any of their own policies or work.

MadMike

Let's not forget the most signed petition in history that already got us nowhere...

#1 EU Referendum rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum.

What was the petition arguing?

"We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum."

Leave voter Oliver Healey claimed to have set up the petition before last year's June referendum - fearing a narrow Remain victory - before it became a de facto protest petition by Remain supporters once the 52-48 majority vote for Brexit was confirmed.

How many people signed it?

Did it result in action?

The topic was debated on 5 September 2016 before the Government confirmed it would not be pursuing a second referendum.

"The European Union Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015, receiving overwhelming support from Parliament. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout," the Foreign Office said.
https://www.itv.com/news/2017-01-31...e-10-most-signed-and-what-have-they-achieved/

cyberman

Isn't May correct though? Everybody is playing party politics here that has ground the process down to a halt.
Your parliament has very little comeback to that in my opinion.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Isn't May correct though? Everybody is playing party politics here that has ground the process down to a halt.
She's the biggest culprit.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The only thing the petition does is to help raise awareness in some small way of the possibility of revoking article 50 and undermines the notion that that choice does not enjoy any public support. Stuff such as "petition breaks government site" and "petition gathers million signatures in a day" is at the very least a positive news story.

Smores

Can't think of many examples outside of May herself. Can you?

Fully Fledged

No. She has stuck to her 5 red lines that have meant a confrontational negotiation with the EU that ended with a poor WA. She has then brought that back to Parliament and not been prepared to move on it no matter how badly it gets voted down or how many times.

Maticmaker

Imagine the scene, five minutes to 11,00pm on 29th March 2019, the runaway train called 'No deal' heads down the tracks straight towards the buffers, no brakes, no way to switch the tracks, all points locked in place...

A cry goes out, "oh dear where is superman when you want him? Oh wait... no it's ok the Maybot and station master Tusk have taken charge, they are removing the buffers, taking them away and adding an extension to the track... phew that was close!

What do you say? Wait, oh no they've now replaced the buffers on the track further down, why, have they done that...? What because some idiot wants to hold an election, don't they know we are heading for a catastrophe …. wait another message coming through, it only happens if 27 other fat controllers can agree.

What's that re-nationalize the railways?"

Last edited: