2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Think he's one we should be looking to replace next summer. Clearly not good enough and feels like a Bosnich/Carroll intermediate situation. I feel he's a net liability in that he costs us more points than salvages them for us.

Really thought we should have have gone for Costa last summer, hopefully we're back in for him or anyone else our recruitment team pinpoint.

If for some reason Onana is untouchable this season due to doubts about Bayandir we should at least start the scouting for a possible successor to Onana, should his second season at Old Trafford be a repeat of the first.

Does anyone else remember, when we signed him, the people here who said he was more important than a striker in order for us to score more goals?

Doesn't save much, hoofs the ball because there's nobody to pass to. I keep thinking about this supposed system we're meant to be playing and then never seeing it. I'm not sure why he's here.

Does anyone else remember, when we signed him, the people here who said he was more important than a striker in order for us to score more goals?

Doesn't save much, hoofs the ball because there's nobody to pass to. I keep thinking about this supposed system we're meant to be playing and then never seeing it. I'm not sure why he's here.
I still stand by the fact that, in the summer of 2023, an upgrade on De Gea was more important than a striker in order for us to be more than just a top 4 challenger, as we needed to keep the ball more and consistently sustain attacks. I didn't know much about Onana but I was told he was an excellent passer and a decent shot stopper. Turns out he's an average passer and an awful shot stopper.

I still stand by the fact that an upgrade on De Gea was more important than a striker in order to keep the ball more and consistently sustain attacks. I didn't know much about Onana but I was told he was an excellent passer and a decent shot stopper. Turns out he's an average passer and an awful shot stopper.
This has surely been proved wrong. Onana is a decent passer and an awful shot stopper and we still can't keep the ball or consistently sustain attacks. I agree that it's clearly preferable to have a keeper that's great with his feet but this idea that a goalkeeper can be more important than a striker to attacking needs to die.

Inter dominated their league like prime Barca right after selling him. best attack, best defence by far. how many of Onana fans would say Sommer is a transformative keeper as well?

I doubt it. He has next to no competition.

There will always be fires to put out before we sign a better keeper or someone who would challenge him.
A man can dream.
We really have bought some Turkeys under ETH. This dude, Antony and Mount will long live in the memory of painfully poor acquisitions.
can't argue with that cat

This has surely been proved wrong. Onana is a decent passer and an awful shot stopper and we still can't keep the ball or consistently sustain attacks. I agree that it's clearly preferable to have a keeper that's great with his feet but this idea that a goalkeeper can be more important than a striker to attacking needs to die.
I've yet to see him consistently play decent passes. He often boots the ball out of play. On your last sentence - it depends on how many goals come from your wide positions. City (pre Haaland) and Liverpool during the Firmino years showed that a goalscoring striker is less important than a ball playing goalkeeper.

I think we are all quick to say that a player (any position) needs to leave but the problem is, how much better quality is out there? I do agree Onana hasn't been great, only thing is the way United play doesn't get the best out of him.

We were quick for wanting De Gea to leave and mad for Onana to come in. Inter were just set up in a way that suited Onana, though. United sign Onana, big money transfer....big wage contract left. How easy and realistic is it to bring another keeper in next summer, whom also is going to cost big money transfer and high wages.

I don't see him being replaced next summer because of this.

I think we are all quick to say that a player (any position) needs to leave but the problem is, how much better quality is out there? I do agree Onana hasn't been great, only thing is the way United play doesn't get the best out of him.
That is what was said about Pogba. That is what is being said about Rashford.
Is that what we are going to keep saying about Onana

That is what was said about Pogba. That is what is being said about Rashford.
Is that what we are going to keep saying about Onana
I wasn't trying to say that it's okay.

Rashford I wouldn't count because the guy has the ability, he just has a problem with his mentality. It kills me more so with Rashford than other players. He's also one of our own. He cares, his head isn't always right and at this stage of his career, I don't think he is going to reach his full potentially. I would gladly hope I'm proved wrong.

Pogba - clearly had ability, his attitude was wrong and Fergie copped that at a young age, which makes you question, how much does a person change? That's my fear with Rashford.

I don't know if you can put Onana in same bracket as those two. We haven't seen Onana play in the style he excels at. I'm not saying we should play exactly that way. Just kind of a funny buy in hindsight.

I remember that well. Lots of crazy takes here about how Onana would "transform" our attack when word of him coming to OT emerged.

I remember that well. Lots of crazy takes here about how Onana would "transform" our attack when word of him coming to OT emerged.

The funny thing is there’s not a poster on the whole of redcafe who has mentioned Onana transforming our attack as often as you have. It’s been basically a one man campaign for over a year now.

The funny thing is there’s not a poster on the whole of redcafe who has mentioned Onana transforming our attack as often as you have. It’s been basically a one man campaign for over a year now.
Were the links to clickbait articles not enough for you?!

Were the links to clickbait articles not enough for you?!
Excited to see which of you two, @RedRocket9908 and @Rojofiam will be the last Onana defender left standing in this thread. Whose stubbornness will prevail?!

Weird that you interpreted that post as a defence of Onana but ok.
Not that one alone, but all of your posting about him to date.
Supporting our players? What a crazy and foreign concept.
Not really, we all have players that we back despite all pushback. Bruno is mine. But continuing to talk Onana up calls for a very special type of bloody-mindedness.

Not that one alone, but all of your posting about him to date.

Meh. I’m just doing what I usually do. Calling out posts that I think are obviously stupid. And seeing as this thread is 99% posts slagging him off (including a lot of obviously stupid posts) then stands to reason the vast majority of my posts in this thread will be standing up for him.

You’ll also find several posts where I repeat my own take on the goalkeeping situation. We could/should have signed a better upgrade for De Gea than Onana.

Eff..I went through this carefully when this claim was made before. And it wasn't just the caf. Beth from The United Stand went on a rampage about how important Onana would be to our attack. And then there was Statman Dave, who's normally pretty decent but not always right (but then again, who is?).

I won't bother with timestamping every dubious comment but I'll just point out a few:

"A ball playing goalkeeper"
"Exactly what Manchester United need"
"From a tactical perspective having a goalkeeper who can play is so so important"
"Buying a goalkeeper this summer is more important than buying a new No. 9"

And that's just the first 40 seconds.

I'll have to paraphrase this next one, "[Onana] will create chances" -- a personal favorite of mine.
"Signing a goalkeeper [meaning, a ball playing keeper] improves all the attacking metrics" -- glorious

And we haven't even broken the 50 second mark. The rest is pure cringe.

I understand baseless euphoria. I've been a victim of it myself. When word first got out that United were interested in Jadon Sancho I was all in and I hold up my hand for being all wrong about Sancho. But the idea that a goalkeeper would ever have any impact whatsoever on chance creation, let alone "all attacking metrics" is beyond ludicrous.

All things being equal, of course you want a keeper who can play the ball over a goalkeeper who cannot play the ball. Where I was wrong about Onana was in believing the hype that he's brilliant with the ball at his feet, a true "modern keeper". I had my doubts, however, that his brilliance with the ball at his feet would make any difference whatsoever (pretend I typed that in all caps) to our "attacking metrics" and no detailed explanation is required to support the assertion that we were poor in attack last season. It's safe to say that my doubts were vindicated. And it's safe to say that Pep, master of the mind games, is having a good laugh now.

To be clear, I do not blame Onana for us being poor in attack last season because it was always daft on its face to believe that even a highly proficient keeper can turn any side into a goal scoring machine. Not even prime Allison Becker could have had the kind of impact on United in attack that Onana was expected by many to have last season. No blame on Onana whatsoever. We can discuss his poor shot stopping ability but I don't think that's any longer in dispute.

All we can hope for is Onana to improve substantially as a shot stopper, to take less time on the ball when his teammates are open for the right pass, and a bit more accuracy with his long passes. But the euphoria over a new keeper having a substantial impact on our attack was hilarious to read, day after day, in the summer of 2023.

Supporting our players? What a crazy and foreign concept.
Ah yes, supporting our players, just like you did with de Gea. A couple of posts demonstrating your brilliant support:

Post in thread 'Should we renew De Gea's contract?' https://www.redcafe.net/threads/should-we-renew-de-geas-contract.476678/post-30511590

'Feck watching this clown any longer. Thanks for your service, now piss off'

My personal favourite:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/david-de-gea-2022-23-performances.471392/page-143#post-30432008

'This is just his level and frankly I can’t believe he still has supporters at this club.'

Supporting our players? What a crazy and foreign concept indeed!

Ah yes, supporting our players, just like you did with de Gea. A couple of posts demonstrating your brilliant support:

Post in thread 'Should we renew De Gea's contract?' https://www.redcafe.net/threads/should-we-renew-de-geas-contract.476678/post-30511590

'Feck watching this clown any longer. Thanks for your service, now piss off'

My personal favourite:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/david-de-gea-2022-23-performances.471392/page-143#post-30432008

'This is just his level and frankly I can’t believe he still has supporters at this club.'

Supporting our players? What a crazy and foreign concept indeed!
Nice selective quoting. You’ll have also seen me defending De Gea in the “is he a legend thread” when people were slagging off his legacy and saying he wasn’t a Utd legend. The problem is when we have players with great historic legacies some people struggle to move on but the fact was we simply had to move on because De Gea was a liability. The irony was that last two years of De Gea were easily worse than Onana.

Nice selective quoting. You’ll have also seen me defending De Gea in the “is he a legend thread” when people were slagging off his legacy and saying he wasn’t a Utd legend. The problem is when we have players with great historic legacies some people struggle to move on but the fact was we simply had to move on because De Gea was a liability. The irony was that last two years of De Gea were easily worse than Onana.
The fact is that you literally said the two things above, both of which fly in the face of your hypocritical 'Supporting our players? What a crazy and foreign concept.'

I don't disagree that we had to move on from de Gea but we've not improved on him with Onana, but this seems to be a hill for you to die on so you crack on.

The fact is that you literally said the two things above, both of which fly in the face of your hypocritical 'Supporting our players? What a crazy and foreign concept.'

I don't disagree that we had to move on from de Gea but we've not improved on him with Onana, but this seems to be a hill for you to die on so you crack on.
We have improved on the final version of de Gea but the fair question is “is that improvement enough long term”. I’m willing to support the player to see whereas many have written him off after one season. That’s the lack of support I take issue with.

You keep saying this but all available evidence says it’s not true. Onana is a definite upgrade on the De Gea of his last two seasons (probably longer) And that’s including the first half of Onana’s first season when he made some really poor and obvious mistakes. Since then he’s been more solid and consistently playing at a level that is comfortably better than end stage De Gea (albeit not as good as the best keepers in the league)

Onana could definitely be upgraded but the level of his performance is consistently being spun as much worse than it is by a mix of people who were in denial about how poor De Gea was (so are determined to be as harsh on his predecessor as they think others were on their guy) and people who just love to complain about everything.

Last edited:
You keep saying this but all available evidence says it’s not true. Onana is a definite upgrade on the De Gea of his last two seasons (probably longer) And that’s including the first half of Onana’s first season when he made some really poor and obvious mistakes. Since then he’s been more solid and consistently playing at a level that is comfortably better than end stage De Gea (albeit not as good as the best keepers in the league)

Onana could definitely be upgraded but the level of his performance is consistently being spun as much worse than it is by a mix of people who were in denial about how poor De Gea was (so are determined to be as harsh on his predecessor as they think others were on their guy) and people who just love to complain about everything.
Yes nail on the head!