2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
That shots aimed low to the corners have a better chance of going in, if you have more shots towards the corner you'll likely concede more goals.

It really is groundbreaking stuff.

Exactly, although the fact we seem to have more shots aimed at the left side of our goal compared to some of those other teams is interesting. Maybe due to our chopping and changing of our LB/LCB?

Exactly, although the fact we seem to have more shots aimed at the left side of our goal compared to some of those other teams is interesting. Maybe due to our chopping and changing of our LB/LCB?

You'd have to analyse the attacks of other teams and every goal Utd conceded. Generally speaking though, I think it would be safe to assume that since the majority of players are right footed, then shots from the centre or the opposition left (right side of defence) will be aimed low to the keepers left.

Double the amount of shots/goals for Allison and you'd see a similar pattern.

The keepers with the most pronounced clusters have all faced a lot more shots than the others.
Yes they are pushed to the very edge of their abilities and patterns emerge, that's for sure. We are dysfunctional for letting OPPO shoot so much, and also in some ways I think that shooting so much leads to low xG goals connect just due to the fact you didn't even expect such simple shots and it becomes perhaps also tiresome to jump around double the ammount. He is for sure made to look worse by this fact.

You'd have to analyse the attacks of other teams and every goal Utd conceded. Generally speaking though, I think it would be safe to assume that since the majority of players are right footed, then shots from the centre or the opposition left (right side of defence) will be aimed low to the keepers left.

Yeah, actually I got that backwards. You’d expect the far post to be picked out more often. So we must be conceding more shots from the right side of our box.

Yes they are pushed to the very edge of their abilities and patterns emerge, that's for sure. We are dysfunctional for letting OPPO shoot so much, and also in some ways I think that shooting so much leads to low xG goals connect just due to the fact you didn't even expect such simple shots and it becomes perhaps also tiresome to jump around double the ammount. He is for sure made to look worse by this fact.

I don't think that's the reason at all. It's just more data. If you combined two seasons of Allison's shots/goals it would probably look like a single season from Onana /Areola.

I'm asking if there is any evidence other than how people feel. People also feel he doesn't save any shots but he was towards of the top the league in pure saves and save percentage, so we probably shouldn't just go on feels.

Goals being scored low doesn't really mean anything on it's own. The claim is that the opposition only shoot there because of Onana. So, with that in mind, why would the shots that led to goals against Brighton or Liverpool be aimed anywhere else in those situations?

He actually saved more shots and had a higher shots saved percentage than any other keeper in the Premier League last season and even in his season in Serie A he saved 73.5% of the shots he faced which was one of the highest.

The goal areas for Onana and Areola might also be affected by the amount of penalties.

Yeah, actually I got that backwards. You’d expect the far post to be picked out more often. So we must be conceding more shots from the right side of our box.
Screenshot-20240905-125633.png

Screenshot-20240905-125802.png

These are positions of all shots last season. Onana and Allison Becker.

2 Areola on his right 4 for Onana on his left from penalties.
Looking at the numbers then, I don't think he's conceding a crazy amount of low shots or goals from low shots in comparison to the other keepers.

Obviously you need to judge each goal for whether or not he could've saved it. Our goal does seem to be getting peppered though :lol:

2 Areola on his right 4 for Onana on his left from penalties.

Delete those 4 penalties and the difference between let and right looks a lot less dramatic. Which also makes a nonsense of the idea that he’s conceding goals in that corner because opposition strikers have been told to target that corner (which didn’t pass any kind of common sense test to begin with)

Forums are strange places indeed. I guess in Italy they don't hit low shots then? Also don't you think the months of scouting him, hours of video wouldn't have highlighted that? Also, isn't the majority of goals low shots anyway?
This is nearly as funny as the 'he's too top heavy' comment....
Like I said, it's a centre of gravity thing. If you're struggling with understanding that, let me know and I'll get the crayons out for you.

I don't understand why you're bringing scouts into it either as it's clear ETH doesn't listen to scouts. Look at Antony, scouts said he's worth £25m, how much did ETH pay?

Regardless of where the majority of shots are scored, Onana has proven himself to be a poor shot stopper.

i have no confidence in him saving shots low down to his left or right. he's actually embarrassing.

I have no blind faith in him. Whether or not we could have replaced De Gea with a better keeper than Onana (and I always thought we could have) is a separate issue to the sort of nonsense you posted, which sucked me into this thread again. A goalkeeper taking a year to find a club is evidence of him being “resilient” :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/reel/477533435076472
De Gea doing what Onana can't

Looking at the numbers then, I don't think he's conceding a crazy amount of low shots or goals from low shots in comparison to the other keepers.

Obviously you need to judge each goal for whether or not he could've saved it. Our goal does seem to be getting peppered though :lol:
They are unfortunately not very high in xG whatever that might be worth. FotMob is a great app for Android with all the nice stats. You can see each individual goal and their stats.

Delete those 4 penalties and the difference between let and right looks a lot less dramatic. Which also makes a nonsense of the idea that he’s conceding goals in that corner because opposition strikers have been told to target that corner (which didn’t pass any kind of common sense test to begin with)
I think he's quite solid to his right. It's obvious they all have weaker or stronger sides, but Bart is very impressive in this particular regard.

i have no confidence in him saving shots low down to his left or right. he's actually embarrassing.
He is akin to City's Ederson when looking at stats, difference being almost no one gets close to Ederson and shots vs are more than half, but when they do his save technique is lacking. And he has a weakness to his right by looks of it.

Screenshot-20240905-185602.png

Screenshot-20240905-185304.png

They are unfortunately not very high in xG whatever that might be worth. FotMob is a great app for Android with all the nice stats. You can see each individual goal and their stats.
Yeah, not easy to judge just based on xG as it doesn't necessarily mean the keeper did anything wrong.
Interesting app though, thanks for sharing.

We just have to accept that our keeper this season will concede a lot of goals that most other prem keepers wouldn't. But hopefully we can shop for a new keeper next summer.

We just have to accept that our keeper this season will concede a lot of goals that most other prem keepers wouldn't. But hopefully we can shop for a new keeper next summer.

He'll only concede a lot of goals if the defenders in front of him play with no intensity and like they've never met each other before. None of the goals conceded against Liverpool were due to anything other than shite defending, shite midfield play, and/or shite tactics.

Like I said, it's a centre of gravity thing. If you're struggling with understanding that, let me know and I'll get the crayons out for you.

I don't understand why you're bringing scouts into it either as it's clear ETH doesn't listen to scouts. Look at Antony, scouts said he's worth £25m, how much did ETH pay?

Regardless of where the majority of shots are scored, Onana has proven himself to be a poor shot stopper.

EtH didn’t pay a penny, the club did under Murtoughs instruction.

Forums are strange places indeed. I guess in Italy they don't hit low shots then? Also don't you think the months of scouting him, hours of video wouldn't have highlighted that? Also, isn't the majority of goals low shots anyway?
This is nearly as funny as the 'he's too top heavy' comment....
A lot of naivety in this comment.
It's well known that keepers have for a long time studied how penalty takers take their shots, so it's hardly suprising that forwards and strikers are watching video's of keepers and analysing their weaknesses.
At a time when teeams have coaches for almost every aspect of the game, it's obvious that players are being told to hit them hard and low.
As for Inter he had 5 maybe 6 good games for Inter, watch other vieo's of him and you will see the same mistakes, time after time.
Admittedly some of these are cracking goals, but there are a lot of shots that VDS and De Gea would consider bread and butter, along with his poor positioning and lack of mobility he is an extremely easy keeper to beat.

It's well known that keepers have for a long time studied how penalty takers take their shots, so it's hardly suprising that forwards and strikers are watching video's of keepers and analysing their weaknesses.
At a time when teeams have coaches for almost every aspect of the game, it's obvious that players are being told to hit them hard and low.
As for Inter he had 5 maybe 6 good games for Inter, watch other vieo's of him and you will see the same mistakes, time after time.
Admittedly some of these are cracking goals, but there are a lot of shots that VDS and De Gea would consider bread and butter, along with his poor positioning and lack of mobility he is an extremely easy keeper to beat.

People really need to stop acting like De Gea didn't make mistakes on "bread and butter" saves. You will find plenty if you bother to look. And he is rightly considered one of our best ever goalkeepers.
Have you even watched Onana 5 or 6 times for Inter? That's exactly the same line people have used before regarding his CL games, which then implies he did not have a single good game in the league...

People really need to stop acting like De Gea didn't make mistakes on "bread and butter" saves. You will find plenty if you bother to look. And he is rightly considered one of our best ever goalkeepers.
The weird thing about the De Gea disciples is his shot stopping actually cost him his place here and is why we got rid of him.

The final straw was De Gea watching 2 shots go past him against City in an FA cup final, 2 completely saveable shots for any decent keeper. Brentford, Everton, Sevilla and West Ham were further howlers that season.

De Gea could still make great saves to be fair, which separates him from Onana. But De Gea's later years had a comical amount of errors in his shot stopping, starting with the 2018 world cup and every season he had with us after that.

De Gea's reputation as an elite shot stopper came from 2013-2018 where he very very rarely made a mistake. But after that, no matter how many pea rollers he let trickle into his net he still somehow managed to keep that reputation.

The weird thing about the De Gea disciples is his shot stopping actually cost him his place here and is why we got rid of him.

The final straw was De Gea watching 2 shots go past him against City in an FA cup final, 2 completely saveable shots for any decent keeper. Brentford, Everton, Sevilla and West Ham were further howlers that season.

De Gea could still make great saves to be fair, which separates him from Onana. But De Gea's later years had a comical amount of errors in his shot stopping, starting with the 2018 world cup and every season he had with us after that.

De Gea's reputation as an elite shot stopper came from 2013-2018 where he very very rarely made a mistake. But after that, no matter how many pea rollers he let trickle into his net he still somehow managed to keep that reputation.
I'd add his lack of ability on the ball but yeah, pretty much.

I'd add his lack of ability on the ball but yeah, pretty much.
We know he was weak everywhere else.

But what saved him for a while was he had one strong attribute. When his shot-stopping stopped being a strength, and he started letting soft shots trickle past him, he was done. If you're a keeper who is poor on the ball, aerially, and sweeping - you better be a flawless shot-stopper, and he wasn't.

That one at 43 seconds :lol: :o

No keeper who has ever or will ever live could have saved the Gundogan volley from the top of the box in the FA Cup, not even prime Onana.

Beat the shit out of De Gea for genuine mistakes, but not that goal.

If he gets to blame the defenders for his flaws they could equally do the same for him. I don't think De Gea's name should even come up but he was picking up player of the season in our worst era of CBs. Same equally applied when he started dropping clangers, why he's not here anymore.

I can't be arsed to make a new thread but we need to be all over this asap. Liverpool didn't really miss Alisson when he was between the sticks. He'd be an instant upgrade on Onana.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...kelleher-liverpool-exit-mamardashvili-signing
He's under contract, Liverpool and United do not do transfer Deals.

TBH there's hundreds of players across the world that would improve united, we don't need to go to Liverpool or man city for theres.

Thanks but no thanks