View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
The truth always hurts.
As said before in this thread, the bloke he replaced is picking up MOTM awards for Fiorentina.
Check out my posts when we signed this clown, I said he would cost us games, and he is living up to that.
Liverpool 7 - 0 United though, right?

I think his shot stopping is a major flaw in his game, he has trouble diving on low shots, maybe because of his physique (looks overweight), his agility is very bad, if you compare our keeper against the top 7 to 8 in PL, ours seem to be the worst and it feels like you can never trust him to save any shot. With our suicidal tactics and his poor shot stopping, we seem to be allowing 4 v 3 or 5 v 3 every game and high probability of good shots and chances, he will never bail us out like DDG.

He is what he is and pretty much up there with most of the top keepers. Like most players in a struggling team, his failures or weaknesses are amplified and he is not alone.
Also not easy with yet another defensive partnership in front of him.
He's absolutely not though

The truth always hurts.
As said before in this thread, the bloke he replaced is picking up MOTM awards for Fiorentina.
Check out my posts when we signed this clown, I said he would cost us games, and he is living up to that.

The bloke he replaced hasn’t played a single league game for Fiorentina, because he’s behind some bloke called Pietro Terracciano in the goalkeeping pecking order. Tell us more about your fantastic truth filled posts.

Onana is a mid table PL keeper.
He will do for now but we'd really need to replace him in a year or two when we sort everything else out.

The bloke he replaced hasn’t played a single league game for Fiorentina, because he’s behind some bloke called Pietro Terracciano in the goalkeeping pecking order. Tell us more about your fantastic truth filled posts.
He did play a game vs Puskas Akademia in the conference league and apparently made a few important saves including a penalty save. His manager has explained why he has left De Gea out of games here https://football-italia.net/palladino-de-gea-doesn-t-start-serie-a-kean/

He did play a game vs Puskas Akademia in the conference league and apparently made a few important saves including a penalty save. His manager has explained why he has left De Gea out of games here https://football-italia.net/palladino-de-gea-doesn-t-start-serie-a-kean/

I honestly don’t care why he’s been left out. Just find it funny that someone is trying to use his career after leaving United as evidence of how much better he is than Onana. Couldn’t get a job anywhere for a year and currently the Conference League goalkeeper for an average Serie A team.

Hopefully someone with a sane pair of eyes above the manager sees for what it is, and buys a new GK in January. Onana should at least have some competition if the Turkish lad isn't one. It's beyond ridiculous that a player as shit as Onana is undisputed first choice and plays despite being absolute crap in so many games.

You can put any goalkeeper you want in our goal and they'll struggle because our defending is attrocious and constantly leaves the keeper exposed, even we new CB's we are struggling to defend because the manager doesnt seem to know how to set them up to defend properly.

I honestly don’t care why he’s been left out. Just find it funny that someone is trying to use his career after leaving United as evidence of how much better he is than Onana. Couldn’t get a job anywhere for a year and currently the Conference League goalkeeper for an average Serie A team.
Your blind faith in Onana is somewhat admirable, but it's also funny.
You are becoming an increasing minority, he's a liability, the defence has no confidence in him.
The fact De Gea has had a year out kept himself fit, and managed to get a job, shows how resilient he is.
Carry on in your own little fantasy bubble, if ETH goes, Onana will be one of the first to be replaced

You can put any goalkeeper you want in our goal and they'll struggle because our defending is attrocious and constantly leaves the keeper exposed, even we new CB's we are struggling to defend because the manager doesnt seem to know how to set them up to defend properly.
I sort of agree with this, however I would also like to see how our defence performs when they have confidence in the keeper behind them.
We last saw episodes like this with Barthez.
The problem with a lot o fans my age is that we are used to having a world class keeper in goal, we don't have that, Onana had about 6 good games for Inter, and we (ETH) bought him on the strength of that, when you look at his league game for Inter you realise he is making exactly the same mistakes, he has not improved or learnd anything from coaching.
Supposedly we bought him to play out from the back, from what I'v seen his distribution is bordering on poor, we fail to win the scond ball and the opposition com straight back at us.

Some fans like @Pogue Mahone can't or won't admit they were/are wrong about him

Ultimately, I don't think he's good enough for United. His shot stopping, especially low shots, is very suspect. He never seems to get to them!

His positioning never seems right and his technique looks off, like it doesn't look like a natural goalkeeper.

He's comfortable with he ball at his feet but his much-vaunted distribution that we heard so much about has been terrible. Any medium or long kicks he makes either seem to go out of play or go straight to an opponent.

He's not helped by playing in a team that leaves him exposed to 20+ shots per game like last season, or frequent 4 v 2 or 5 v 3 overloads like we saw v Liverpool.

However..... there are so many other deficiencies in the team that need to be fixed that in the list of problems United need to rectify, he's probably only 4th or 5th on the list!

Personally i find him quite an annoying player because he kind of thinks he is better than he actually is.

It takes him ages to get his hands in to a save and genuinely looks likes he is trying to save a goal by diving with his body to block a shot than actually using his hands to save the shot.

@RedRocket9908

De Gea proved this wasn't true - played with much worse defenders and midfielders both to ultimately just be a great shot stopper almost built like a wall. It's not like De Gea was an anomaly like he went down as one of the greatest ever like a Neurer either - he is playing for Fiorentina now.

Last edited:
Any stats on this?
23-24 In league alone not including the complete Cl meltdown, His goals let in are very low xG, clustered to his lower left predominantly, many but less to his lower right, a bulk of them dropped us points vs likes of Fulham and Bournemouth with xG under 0.1

He faced 53 shots outside the box of mostly nonexistent xG and still conceded 5 very low xG goals that resulted in dropping points. Getting inside the penalty box and taking a punt to his lower left is basically a free goal every other time. His saves are statpadded by tons of very low xG attempt from all over. But mainly outside of the box. Inside the box he doesn't have the speed or agility to go low to the sides.

This year he let in 3 so far already to his low left, 0% saved 2 were 0.3 xG and one nice 0.75xG, he is found out by team analysts.

People can resist facts as much as they like but it's like having a Sunday league keeper regarding his lower left side. And it will get abused as evident by our start.

Like others have said it does seem like he struggles getting down quickly to save shots. I wonder, would opposing teams send that message to their team or would you not want them to over think it.

Thank you for taking the time to write the most hilarious comment I've read for sometime. He's too 'top heavy'.....feck me.
He has a high centre of gravity then. Same thing.

23-24 In league alone not including the complete Cl meltdown, His goals let in are very low xG, clustered to his lower left predominantly, many but less to his lower right, a bulk of them dropped us points vs likes of Fulham and Bournemouth with xG under 0.1

He faced 53 shots outside the box of mostly nonexistent xG and still conceded 5 very low xG goals that resulted in dropping points. Getting inside the penalty box and taking a punt to his lower left is basically a free goal every other time. His saves are statpadded by tons of very low xG attempt from all over. But mainly outside of the box. Inside the box he doesn't have the speed or agility to go low to the sides.

This year he let in 3 so far already to his low left, 0% saved 2 were 0.3 xG and one nice 0.75xG, he is found out by team analysts.

People can resist facts as much as they like but it's like having a Sunday league keeper regarding his lower left side. And it will get abused as evident by our start.
So let's have a look at them because the suggestion is that these goals are occurring due to teams deliberately targeting a weakness.

The problem is, not only is the xg a little deceptive in the examples you've used but the shots themselves are the types of finishes you would expect in those situations.

53 shots from outside the box is not proof of anything, it isn't telling us whether they were aimed low or high, it's not telling us if they were from set pieces, it's not telling us if they were ridiculous finishes.
Quite importantly as well, you're not comparing it to the amount of shots other teams are facing from distance.

So let's have a look at them because the suggestion is that these goals are occurring due to teams deliberately targeting a weakness.

The problem is, not only is the xg a little deceptive in the examples you've used but the shots themselves are the types of finishes you would expect in those situations.

53 shots from outside the box is not proof of anything, it isn't telling us whether they were aimed low or high, it's not telling us if they were from set pieces, it's not telling us if they were ridiculous finishes.
Quite importantly as well, you're not comparing it to the amount of shots other teams are facing from distance.

So you don't think opposing teams coaches are saying to their strikers "Hit them low and hard at Onana" I admire your naivety and lack of faith in opposition coaches.
Two of Liverpools goals were low to the corners of the goal, Both of Brightons goals were low.
People on here and elsewhere were commenting alllast season that he couldn't get down to low shots

If these stats were all true, he'd surely have a negative figure in terms of psxg.

I am not saying that the manager does not have part of the blame, we are an atrocious team, but why did nobody use this excuse for DDG in the first ETH season? We had a 15 GD at the end of the year, with some atrocious games. Just like back then, the GK was obviously part of the problem, just like it is now.

Your blind faith in Onana is somewhat admirable, but it's also funny.
You are becoming an increasing minority, he's a liability, the defence has no confidence in him.
The fact De Gea has had a year out kept himself fit, and managed to get a job, shows how resilient he is.
Carry on in your own little fantasy bubble, if ETH goes, Onana will be one of the first to be replaced

I have no blind faith in him. Whether or not we could have replaced De Gea with a better keeper than Onana (and I always thought we could have) is a separate issue to the sort of nonsense you posted, which sucked me into this thread again. A goalkeeper taking a year to find a club is evidence of him being “resilient” :lol:

So you don't think opposing teams coaches are saying to their strikers "Hit them low and hard at Onana" I admire your naivety and lack of faith in opposition coaches.
Two of Liverpools goals were low to the corners of the goal, Both of Brightons goals were low.
People on here and elsewhere were commenting alllast season that he couldn't get down to low shots
I'm asking if there is any evidence other than how people feel. People also feel he doesn't save any shots but he was towards of the top the league in pure saves and save percentage, so we probably shouldn't just go on feels.

Goals being scored low doesn't really mean anything on it's own. The claim is that the opposition only shoot there because of Onana. So, with that in mind, why would the shots that led to goals against Brighton or Liverpool be aimed anywhere else in those situations?

I have no blind faith in him. Whether or not we could have replaced De Gea with a better keeper than Onana (and I always thought we could have) is a separate issue to the sort of nonsense you posted, which sucked me into this thread again. A goalkeeper taking a year to find a club is evidence of him being “resilient” :lol:
Or of him taking a break, to be fair. Has there been any confirmation one way or another? It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that a player that's leaving a club he's been at for a decade may want a season to recharge before going somewhere lower pressure, is it?

Or of him taking a break, to be fair. Has there been any confirmation one way or another? It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that a player that's leaving a club he's been at for a decade may want a season to recharge before going somewhere lower pressure, is it?

It means nothing positive, that’s for sure. Either he couldn’t find a club that would pay him what he wanted and/or offer football at the level he thought he was good enough to play. Or he wanted a year out from football. All of the above is possible. The fact he’s eventually ended up playing Conference League football at Fiorentina speaks volumes though.

None of which has anything to do with whether or not Onana is good enough to play in goals at United in the long term.

I'm asking if there is any evidence other than how people feel. People also feel he doesn't save any shots but he was towards of the top the league in pure saves and save percentage, so we probably shouldn't just go on feels.

Goals being scored low doesn't really mean anything on it's own. The claim is that the opposition only shoot there because of Onana. So, with that in mind, why would the shots that led to goals against Brighton or Liverpool be aimed anywhere else in those situations?
When you watch football games do you notice a big green field of grass and a game being played or do you see a bunch of numbers running on the screen endlessly like a screen of php code?

When you watch football games do you notice a big green field of grass and a game being played or do you see a bunch of numbers running on the screen endlessly like a screen of php code?
:lol:

Another player we should be ruthless with, get rid in the summer

$harsh

Bruh :lol:

Forums are strange places indeed. I guess in Italy they don't hit low shots then? Also don't you think the months of scouting him, hours of video wouldn't have highlighted that? Also, isn't the majority of goals low shots anyway?
This is nearly as funny as the 'he's too top heavy' comment....

Screenshot-20240905-115537.png

These are all PL Goals for last season, they are individually very low xG a great many of them also.

It's evident there's a cluster of low on his left goals. It's not just a feeling. Many of Wich ended up losing us points.

Screenshot-20240905-115537.png

These are all PL Goals for last season, they are individually very low xG a great many of them also.

It's evident there's a cluster of low on his left goals. It's not just a feeling. Many of Wich ended up losing us points.

There’s also a cluster of saves low to his left. Which really just shows that strikers tend to shoot towards that corner. And with most players being right footed it’s likely that there will be a preference for one corner over the other. This is only interesting if it’s radically different to what we see with any other keeper.

Have you got the same image for any other goalkeepers?

The other thing that stands out is that he’s faced three times as many shots from inside the box as from outside it. Be interesting to see how that compares with other keepers/teams.

There’s also a cluster of saves low to his left. Which really just shows that strikers tend to shoot towards that corner. And with most players being right footed it’s likely that there will be a preference for one corner over the other. This is only interesting if it’s radically different to what we see with any other keeper.

Have you got the same image for any other goalkeepers?
Any particular one you want?

Forums are strange places indeed. I guess in Italy they don't hit low shots then? Also don't you think the months of scouting him, hours of video wouldn't have highlighted that? Also, isn't the majority of goals low shots anyway?
This is nearly as funny as the 'he's too top heavy' comment....
This really maked me laugh, as if United ever did that.. ETH knew him and that was enough.. and now we are stuck with a keeper who is not even that good at what he was suposed to be best at

So all of them also have clusters. Only bottom right instead of bottom left. The more shots/goals the more pronounced the cluster. That is interesting but dunno what it means.

That shots aimed low to the corners have a better chance of going in, if you have more shots towards the corner you'll likely concede more goals.

It really is groundbreaking stuff.